• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

People are pouring in now. Wasn't it just a few days ago that SFV was under 500 and Smash 4 wasn't that much over it? I wonder if both can hit the cap before online registration ends. Even if they don't they probably will with emergency registration(if CEO is doing that).

Jebailey also mentioned that CEO has over 2,000 unique competitors. It's great to know that some Majors this year will be larger(in some cases, much larger) than EVO during the first couple years of SF4. If only we had gigantic ball rooms in these other cities to accommodate the 2,000+ players/viewers attending these events.

https://twitter.com/Bizarro_Mike/status/737878392947810305

Michael Martin
‏@Bizarro_Mike
@PerfectLegend Why don't you come out and say what you feel? Nobody covers YOU and you can't live with that.

wYDUEUB.gif

PL not really wrong.

Neither of them are.

You want the entire FGC to get more coverage, but SF and Smash get the most clicks. You hope that it can eventually branch out to other games, but you gotta keep expectations realistic and attacking an author because he's not amazing at SF isn't exactly the best look for trying to get people to look at your community.

Neither of them are.

You want the entire FGC to get more coverage, but SF and Smash get the most clicks. You hope that it can eventually branch out to other games, but you gotta keep expectations realistic and attacking an author because he's not amazing at SF isn't exactly the best look for trying to get people to look at your community.

This Smash and SF get the most coverage because they're way more popular in the community. More viewers in the streams and such.

The Light

True but he think he has a big enough voice change things. Maybe if this was MK9.

Damn now Justin checked him

He doeesn't need a big voice to change things. He is one of many who feel the same way on this issue. As for Justin he is completely off base. I don't see how it is desperate for wanting to give other the communities the shine their due. There could be many articles that could be talked about from this weekend such as Skullgirls craziness, SonicFox out in MKX, PL coming back strong and getting spot in ESL finals, KOF info, KI, Tekken and hell even marvel.

Neither of them are.

I think everyone understands SF and smash are on top and gets the clicks, but the issue comes down to [insert game] doesn't equal fgc and covering only smash and SF majority of the time creates the impression those two only matter. I agree that PL shouldn't have attacked the author on his skill at games as it has nothing to do with coverage, but if authors are now going to use that as a reason to not give looks to other communities like NRS then really I just see it as an excuse for them to continue doing what they were not doing anyway.
Looking at that those twitter conversations it seems some people like are straight up just ignoring his argument and now are trying to focus on the attack or claiming he is just trying to fill his own ego.

The point is there is zero coverage of games that aren't Smash & SF. You can't say "Sf & Smash get the clicks" when there isn't any other coverage to compare it to.

It's been built into the DNA of the US FGC though. B3 was a Capcom tournament, B3 of course evolved into EVO & the SRK website. Eventhubs founded by SF player. They were pushing Capcom games & always have been. At the end of the day in the US that shit wont change.

I hate to ask this, but really, does anyone go to SRK for the articles anymore?

We aren't talking about SRK articles we are talking about shit like Yahoo, ESPN & other outlets.

SRK is relevent to the discussion only for the fact that it was a Capcom centric FG hub that happened to run the biggest event that dictates what games are "relevent". If the creators of TZ or Dustloop created EVO I'm it'd be the opposite.

kirblar

People are pouring in now. Wasn't it just a few days ago that SFV was under 500 and Smash 4 wasn't that much over it? I wonder if both can hit the cap before online registration ends. Even if they don't they probably will with emergency registration(if CEO is doing that).

Jebailey also mentioned that CEO has over 2,000 unique competitors. It's great to know that some Majors this year will be larger(in some cases, much larger) than EVO during the few couple years of SF4. If only we had gigantic ball rooms in these other cities to accommodate the 2,000+ players/viewers attending these events.
Nah, it was clearly blowing up ~2 months ago. I looked at what was happening and decided not to go this year cause I think the venue's going to get overloaded.

He doeesn't need a big voice to change things. He is one of many who feel the same way on this issue. As for Justin he is completely off base. I don't see how it is desperate for wanting to give other the communities the shine their due. There could be many articles that could be talked about from this weekend such as Skullgirls craziness, SonicFox out in MKX, PL coming back strong and getting spot in ESL finals, KOF info, KI, Tekken and hell even marvel.

I think everyone understands SF and smash are on top and gets the clicks, but the issue comes down to [insert game] doesn't equal fgc and covering only smash and SF majority of the time creates the impression those two only matter. I agree that PL shouldn't have attacked the author on his skill at games as it has nothing to do with coverage, but if authors are now going to use that as a reason to not give looks to other communities like NRS then really I just see it as an excuse for them to continue doing what they were not doing anyway.
Looking at that those twitter conversations it seems some people like are straight up just ignoring his argument and now are trying to focus on the attack or claiming he is just trying to fill his own ego.
No, he is the one igoring the argument. Take a look at yahoo esports and check out how many games they cover. Ignore the fg stuff. I only see Overwatch, hots, csgo, lol, etc... Very few games. Clearly, yahoo decided it wanted to dip their toes into the fgc, and SF is the obvious choice. A lot of games aren't covered in all genre of competitive gaming. That says yahoo isn't looking to cover everything, so bitching about Mike, as if he has control, is plain dumb.

SF gets the most articles on other sites because it remains the biggest game with more superstars than other games. A large part is due to history. People want to follow these players.

It's not all perfect either. I have submitted detailed news tips to eventhubs for sf things happening in Asia, yet no article is made. On ultrachen, they didn't even mention tokyo button mashers despite who is competing there and they barely mentioned Crash. I want these events to get more coverage and viewers too. I understand the frustration.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's not even about SF vs other games only. Like...FFM Rumble had all of Europe's best players and top 8 and especially top 4 was people you've probably never heard of. It was full of upsets and newcomers and Germany's biggest tournament ever. The level of play is very similar to Combo Breaker and it got zero coverage outside of tournament results on SF centric sites.

So yeah...it's mostly about what gets the most viewers and not about the games or even the gameplay shown. US Street Fighter tournaments do get those viewers and that's why they get the coverage, simple as that.

What the fuck is he trying to say, that there will be more coverage of other games because of him?
That's exactly what he's saying: https://twitter.com/PerfectLegend/status/737878096037175299
Delusional.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Yo with injustice 2 coming out next year(probably) I think NRS will really push to take over the FGC. They decimated capcom when it comes to casual crowd and I think they will push for the FGC next. You can be sure injustice 2 will have lot of story mode, RPG mode or w/e mode that casuals like, And with a really refined gameplay they can take over the FGC too and can make capcom obsolete. I mean smash is right there too. What you guys think? You think NRS going to really push for the FGC with injustice 2?

It will outsell SFV on the casual market by a minimum 3:1, that doesn't mean it will be a good competitive game. They're certainly doing their best, and MKX is leaps and bounds better balanced than Injustice 1 was but...well..

..more people find Streetfighter fun to play at high level than anything NRS has ever put out.

I feel like NRS games kinda push away competitive players with their extremely frequent patching and all the DLC characters that are always super busted on release.

I expect Injustice 2 to follow the exact same strategy.

Still, if it's as improved as MK9 to X was it will probably do quite well for them.

NEO0MJ

It will outsell SFV on the casual market by a minimum 3:1, that doesn't mean it will be a good competitive game. They're certainly doing their best, and MKX is leaps and bounds better balanced than Injustice 1 was but...well..

..more people find Streetfighter fun to play at high level than anything NRS has ever put out.

It also helps a lot that SF always had a strong international playerbase.

Anne

Mike is right. Take it from me, selling articles to people that aren't about SFV, Smash, or Infrastructure is a very difficult thing to do. On top of that, having somebody writing in depth about it is a bit ahhhhh if they don't know more about it. I can write about a lot of stuff for Red Bull, but MK is probably my weakest area for example, so it's up in the air what meaningful content I can produce.

Doesn't mean it is impossible, I mean I've had two Guilty Gear focused stories go up, and I mentioned not SFV stuff in my CB article. You just have to go through where the money is first, then point to other things that are worth investing in. It's especially a hard sell when you do put out something for a game not SFV related that is huge to a smaller community when that content is dwarfed by a half phoned in SFV piece next week.

Also, complaining about it changes very little, especially on twitter or somewhere. It's a business. You want to change it you can ask for content, sure, but the content does need to be worth making from a business sense side if you're actually putting money into it. It's not entirely a cynical "just chase the views" thing because giving up views for meaningful content happens all the time. Just, gotta give and take. More people from fringe communities should try getting into the writing arena so they can be in the positions to make that content btw. I'm the sole reason Guilty Gear has ever appeared on Red Bull and it's because I cared about smaller games enough to end up in that position in the first place.

The point is there is zero coverage of games that aren't Smash & SF. You can't say "Sf & Smash get the clicks" when there isn't any other coverage to compare it to.

It's been built into the DNA of the US FGC though. B3 was a Capcom tournament, B3 of course evolved into EVO & the SRK website. Eventhubs founded by SF player. They were pushing Capcom games & always have been. At the end of the day in the US that shit wont change.

But shit did change. I mean look at the Melee community. They weren't doing all that big until that EVO donation drive where they got their game in evo and then had an amazing showing at evo in which propelled the scene to take off which in turn allowed Smash 4 to do big number when it came out. So maybe PL should got on his community more than that reported cause it can happen. He he even mentioned in one of his tweets that they cover Smash because the have to.

There was so much hype around MK9/Injustice/MKX in the first couple weeks of release, and everytime people talked about it was finally the games to dethrone SF. Even Persona 4A had a huge initial player base in the US.

I feel like Melee is the one thing that sort of disproves a lot of conventional wisdom around how games get popular in America, though. It's an old game directly competiting with a newer and more casual-friendly entry, which also has high execution requirements with a relatively stagnant meta and top player pool, plus on top of that the developer seems to actively want the game to die.

CurlyW

I hate to ask this, but really, does anyone go to SRK for the articles anymore?

They got a bunch of new writers in after Ian left recently, so there's actually more content now. And they're still good at aggregating tournament results.

Problem is staying motivated to put effort into articles when you can just aggregate a bunch of screenshots of SFV alt costumes and get 20 times more clicks than anything else you produce.

There was so much hype around MK9/Injustice/MKX in the first couple weeks of release, and everytime people talked about it was finally the games to dethrone SF. Even Persona 4A had a huge initial player base in the US.

I feel like Melee is the one thing that sort of disproves a lot of conventional wisdom around how games get popular in America, though. It's an old game directly competiting with a newer and more casual-friendly entry, which also has high execution requirements with a relatively stagnant meta and top player pool, plus on top of that the developer seems to actively want the game to die.

Yeah that's the thing. He bringing up Smash along with SF when Smash pretty much disproves the point he's trying to make.

shaowebb

No and thank god. Such a shit website. The message boards were a cesspit.

This. People idled on flame posting and nothing was done. Best forum for a fighter I've ever been to bar none was the testyourmight boards. The list of things they can infract you for are huge and if you lose enough points for your behavior you start getting bans. Plus the mods are all very active and there are generally folks over every area just surfing at any time so it was never really a place things ran away in.

Super heavy hitter tourney dudes post there constantly and actively talk with folks, and constant support and growth for the scene there. I highly recommend the place.

Neoxon

That's no longer the case, judging by Nintendo publicly supporting Melee at CEO 2016. I think they've accepted that Melee has taken on a life of its own.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
This. People idled on flame posting and nothing was done. Best forum for a fighter I've ever been to bar none was the testyourmight boards. The list of things they can infract you for are huge and if you lose enough points for your behavior you start getting bans. Plus the mods are all very active and there are generally folks over every area just surfing at any time so it was never really a place things ran away in.

Super heavy hitter tourney dudes post there constantly and actively talk with folks, and constant support and growth for the scene there. I highly recommend the place.

TYM is legit. One of the best fighting game forums out there.

Nuu

Banned

The standout shit poster to me was a mod who had this as an avatar:
iP0GVGv.gif

He would regularly go into the official Wii thread and blatantly troll. I don't even mean stealthy, he would literally say "lol Wii fucking sucks its for casuals" and if you called him out on his behavior he would ban you. He was also a diehard Playstation 3 fanboy. Worst "moderator" I've ever encountered.

Skilletor

No and thank god. Such a shit website. The message boards were a cesspit.

I made the mistake of going there a week or two ago looking for KoF vids. I don't even know why I bothered. Literally don't know what made me go there instead of checking here.

Anyway, there was a bunch of transphobic posting. A mod said something like, "Put on your big boy pants. It's just jokes, don't get offended."

Fucking ridiculous.

But shit did change. I mean look at the Melee community. They weren't doing all that big until that EVO donation drive where they got their game in evo and then had an amazing showing at evo in which propelled the scene to take off which in turn allowed Smash 4 to do big number when it came out. So maybe PL should got on his community more than that reported cause it can happen. He he even mentioned in one of his tweets that they cover Smash because the have to.

Smash is not part of the FGC. You should know this. The community has completely different events & majors. They are only at the same events at EVO & like CEO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom