• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

Marvel vs Capcom: Federation Force Party. Marvel and Capcom at the Olympic games. Street Fighter Origins now with 100% more waggle and second screen action for more control and hadouken can now be controlled with gamepad to anti air.

I hope xxx company buys xxx company always seems like the worst idea.

Capcom doesn't own Marvel, waggle is not a thing for any of their fighters nor was it ever, and they aren't stupid on what a decent action game is as Smash proves.

Just voicing that I feel the IP's would be a good fit for Nintendo. It covers the gaps for Nintendo in a few areas and it would be the most likely way some properties would get games made for them now. Capcom aint exactly putting out a lot of stuff for many IPs. Just doubling down on the same ones and even bare bones SFV wouldn't have happened if Sony hadn't have showed up wanting one.

But please do go on about how capcom is fine how they are now. They need help. Given the current landscape this is probably the LEAST offensive pairing out of who could end up acquiring them.

Any way it goes, at least I still got NRS and anime fighters for good times. Anymore I find that while I enjoy the characters Capcom owns I just dont have fun with their games and practices.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Capcom doesn't own Marvel, waggle is not a thing for any of their fighters nor was it ever, and they aren't stupid on what a decent action game is as Smash proves.

Just voicing that I feel the IP's would be a good fit for Nintendo. It covers the gaps for Nintendo in a few areas and it would be the most likely way some properties would get games made for them now. Capcom aint exactly putting out a lot of stuff for many IPs. Just doubling down on the same ones and even bare bones SFV wouldn't have happened if Sony hadn't have showed up wanting one.

But please do go on about how capcom is fine how they are now. They need help. Given the current landscape this is probably the LEAST offensive pairing out of who could end up acquiring them.

Any way it goes, at least I still got NRS and anime fighters for good times. Anymore I find that while I enjoy the characters Capcom owns I just dont have fun with their games and practices.

But where's my F-Zero game

Sigmaah

Y'all know for damn sure this story mode gonna suck ass.

Sf5 is my shit tho. Exactly what I was hoping the game would play like.

DunpealD

Yeah it is strange that they're not offering it as a $20 dollar expansion if you already own SIGN. How does that not make sense for them? I guess they did it so much with Blaz Blue that they can do it with Guilty Gear too.

As with every niche they are trying to bank on the hardcores to pay the premium without expecting much growth and it seems it works for them well enough to keep doing that.

They were stupid enough to kill off Star Fox with Star Fox Zero to prove a point and take a dump on Metroid with Federation Force while keeping IPs like F-Zero and Wave Race in their catacombs rotting away. Considering they can't even keep their own IPs going why should I put any confidence in them?

I'd rather have the current Capcom than a Capcom owned by Nintendo. Platform exclusivity is also another thing, I prefer their games to be accessible by more than a region locked dead platform like Wii U.
Best case would be a Capcom without higher ups who are stuck with their heads deep in their own arse.

Y'all know for damn sure this story mode gonna suck ass.

Sf5 is my shit tho. Exactly what I was hoping the game would play like.

Agreed. Story mode is going to be a disappointing 2 hour cutscene with no real payoff. But thankfully the gameplay is fun and furious.

All I need now is for them to give us SFA2 stages like Rose's and the hanger with the harrier.

But man what a hectic time to play games. SFV, Overwatch, Doom, Revalator, Odin Sphere, and all the other games on my backlog. Adding to my backlog before the games are even out.

Kumubou

Yeah it is strange that they're not offering it as a $20 dollar expansion if you already own SIGN. How does that not make sense for them? I guess they did it so much with Blaz Blue that they can do it with Guilty Gear too.
If I had to guess, the theory would be that there aren't that many more people who would buy the upgrade that wouldn't buy the new release outright. I don't know how true that theory is though. We know Capcom (of all people) made the releases after Super available as both DLC and retail discs, which seemed smart to get some people to upgrade (at that juicy digital revenue percentage too) while still having a presence in retail channels and they did it for both AE and Ultra, so it probably worked out OK? The balance updates should have been free though, and that was something they wanted to correct with 5.

If they were going with more a longer-term engagement model, keeping the older players somewhat connected matters more, even if they don't buy any of the DLC as they keep the online more active for the people who are buying in.

What do you guys think of Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax Ignition? My brothers found the game fun when they played it at my cousins. I wanted to try it out myself, but it cost around $64.99 at playasia. Are there websites that sells the game for a bit cheaper. What other anime fighters should I look into?

What do you guys think of Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax Ignition? My brothers found the game fun when they played it at my cousins. I wanted to try it out myself, but it cost around $64.99 at playasia. Are there websites that sells the game for a bit cheaper. What other anime fighters should I look into?

Guilty Gear: Revelator comes out next week and it's real good.

If you're looking for anime on the cheap, Blazblue and Skullgirls (which is more of a hyper fighter, but still anime regardless) are what you should look at.

Kikirin

Cheapest would be getting in on a digital game share someone set up. Second cheapest would probably be grabbing it digitally off the asia / hong kong psn store. There's some hoops with setting up an hk psn account and getting psn currency for it, but it is likely cheaper than getting it off playasia and/or japanese psn.

edit: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-hk/search/q=dengeki bunko for hk psn listings. $378hkd for either ps3 or ps4 version, which comes out to a bit more than $48 usd.

shaowebb

Its one of French Breads finer moments. It has a very unique rhythm to it of looking for moments to pop trump and then extending trump with burst. Trump sometimes activates for a character in the form of an armored move or other tool so each person specializes in activating trump in various situations and once active for the duration it lasts that character will receive bonuses to moves and combos and if you manage to burst during neutral or combo you also gain stat bonuses in addition to this. This means the more you burn into your offense the stronger it gets, but if you fail to capitolize off of it you could have some one run or wait out your trump and leave you stranded the next round or so with few resources to mount your pressure and damage with. Blow it early to gain the lead or possibly sabotage later rounds? Great resource management fighter.

Assists also abound for setups and each character offers some great stuff.
Its a highly addictive title once you start playing it as Maximillians recent smiles showed.

Other anime fighters worth checking are of course the BB and GG series, Nitroplus Blasterz which bears similarities to some of Dengeki but utilizes many different footsie and defensive options and two assists per character that can be called simultanously instead of one assist with two moves and of course it has no trump system or ignition system. Very VERY good game and if you can stand the dated look I'd also recommend Melty Blood and Arcana Heart 3 Love Max on steam which are both excellent titles these same studios produced which are considered their reasons for fame. Arcana lets you essentially equip an entire moveset on top of any moveset in the game each with different comeback mechanics, and stat changes alongside of specials, supers and other stuff. Plus it is the only game out there with homing dash cancels coupled with super jumps and even steerable homing dashes...its like a DBZ fight that tourney worthy! Melty has 3 different moveset variations per each of its cast and its got a LARGE cast and the movesets extend to more than just specials as normals and other stuff change. HUGE game full of movesets to play there. Both titles are very very very deep and offer tons of experimentation and fast paced action.

Also Koihime Enbu is a very solid and more traditional ground based fighter with good footsies. Relies heavily on crumple states to gain access to combos, launchers, wallbounces and new move properties and links. Has assists.

shaowebb

hmm...honestly I'm not certain what order I could EVER rank anime fighters in terms of fun for me. They're so different from one another its all subjective to what you want.

I guess I couldn't rank but I could score them on customization, moveset variety, meter depth, wealth of system mechanics, combo/pressure options, and footsies. I know Melty, Arcana and BB would be high on the scores in the moveset variety areas. So many unique mechanics.

thehadou

Neo Member
Hope you all enjoyed the show this past weekend. Sorry I haven't been actively involved with this part of the community in awhile. Thanks for letting a lurker stay informed and entertained though.

Hope you all enjoyed the show this past weekend. Sorry I haven't been actively involved with this part of the community in awhile. Thanks for letting a lurker stay informed and entertained though.
as someone who was there, best tournament I've ever been to. Cant wait until next year

ShinMaruku

That was a great toruney, maybe one day I might go there. My whole thing is how arc sys releases the games only adds ammo to people who really don't want to play but need excuses, then you have people saying it is insane, then you have people saying fuck anime and all sorts of fuckery which makes it very hard for some people to side step the game. Ideally Arc Sys should when making a western version wait till it's a latter revision then release it, I know some people would say "But Asia will be so ahead of us" Don't kid yourself even if you had day and date they'd still smoke your asses.

I enjoyed Xrd Sign, but eh not really into Arcsys' business model anymore so I'm passing on Revelator. :\
ditto
C'mon, you guys. Story Mode is not the end all, be all most important thing for fighting games.
It's definitely up there. BB, MK, Injustice and Skullgirls were helped by story and lore fans.
I don't post often because I've been sick plus the capcom wankfest got old ages ago
I was wondering where you were at. Get well, man.
Heh, Nintendo is doing a better job of putting up numbers these days. Still hope they just buy out capcom someday. They'd do right by their franchises. Okami would definitely make a return given their stylus stuff, Megaman was born for maker/amiibo stuff, Bayo proves that DMC would have a home, I've seen some interesting stuff for survival horror that'd work well with their tech, lord knows Monster Hunter has a friend in Nintendo, they seem to love them some SRPG lately, their Musou success bodes well for Sengoku Basara, and in general they put up more attendees and account for more major titles in the FGC lately than other folks.

This sorta dreaming leads nowhere though. I've waxed poetic with tons of other folks before about how good a fit it is. Till Capcom finally flushes it aint happening and they'll ride that Monster Hunter money breaking even or slowing the fall for quite awhile yet.
We all know in our hearts you'd just join F-Zero, Metroid, 1080 and Starfox fans in the complaining.

admit it
If fans of non-Capcom fighters abstain from the community, doesn't it become a bigger wankfest?
Just gotta go to a new website or start engaging in locals for your favorite games then.
He just means that anime games are ignored.

But Q has to live long enough to get heel-stomped by my Nine.
Good luck with that lol.
Marvel vs Capcom: Federation Force Party. Marvel and Capcom at the Olympic games. Street Fighter Origins now with 100% more waggle and second screen action for more control and hadouken can now be controlled with gamepad to anti air.

I hope xxx company buys xxx company always seems like the worst idea.
That is pretty brutal, but true lol.
The FGC is nowhere near the Capcom circle jerk that it was ten years ago. For example the majority of 2D fighters at Evo aren't by Capcom, back in the day it used to be ALL of them.
True
I don't really write much about fighting games here because frankly, I don't think most people care. People's eyes were glossing over reading the Melty Blood OT, and that was a rather general overview. Most people don't want to get into the weeds in regards to any game... and that's fine, honestly. It's just not going to fit the people that do.

Regarding lack of hype for Xrd:Revelator outside of core players: ArcSys had their one shot to get people's attention and they blew it. You generally don't get second chances at people's attention spans, especially given all of the options people have for entertainment nowadays. They actually have a lot of content added that could have driven engagement over the last year and a half... but now they have a hat in hand asking for another $60 18 months later and no one has time for that. I don't think ArcSys cares much now since they still have that arcade revenue coming in (and management can't be happy about tanking arcade revenue for a console release that sold ~25,000 units in Japan), but that's a shrinking market now and it's only getting worse.

I think a lot of the people hating on and playing SF5 don't hate the game itself, but rather all of the bullshit surrounding the moment to moment combat. And can you blame them? Life would be a lot easier for everyone involved if Capcom didn't fuck up as badly as they did.
Nothing but truth in this entire post.
Maybe they're counting on new buyers who like to wait for later releases or w/e and didn't buy sign
Maybe ASW should have added Baiken if they wanted those sales lol.
fighting games suck
overwatch sucks
gaf sucks
Let's not say things we're going to regret.

Haven't played or even seen Overwatch footage.
I'd rather have the current Capcom than a Capcom owned by Nintendo. Platform exclusivity is also another thing, I prefer their games to be accessible by more than a region locked dead platform like Wii U.
Best case would be a Capcom without higher ups who are stuck with their heads deep in their own arse.
I gotta admit that losing Capcom PC ports is absolutely not an option and Nintendo would kill those faster than NRS steals Capcom's marketshare.

Guilty Gear: Revelator comes out next week and it's real good.

If you're looking for anime on the cheap, Blazblue and Skullgirls (which is more of a hyper fighter, but still anime regardless) are what you should look at.

Cheapest would be getting in on a digital game share someone set up. Second cheapest would probably be grabbing it digitally off the asia / hong kong psn store. There's some hoops with setting up an hk psn account and getting psn currency for it, but it is likely cheaper than getting it off playasia and/or japanese psn.

edit: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-hk/search/q=dengeki bunko for hk psn listings. $378hkd for either ps3 or ps4 version, which comes out to a bit more than $48 usd.

Its one of French Breads finer moments. It has a very unique rhythm to it of looking for moments to pop trump and then extending trump with burst. Trump sometimes activates for a character in the form of an armored move or other tool so each person specializes in activating trump in various situations and once active for the duration it lasts that character will receive bonuses to moves and combos and if you manage to burst during neutral or combo you also gain stat bonuses in addition to this. This means the more you burn into your offense the stronger it gets, but if you fail to capitolize off of it you could have some one run or wait out your trump and leave you stranded the next round or so with few resources to mount your pressure and damage with. Blow it early to gain the lead or possibly sabotage later rounds? Great resource management fighter.

Assists also abound for setups and each character offers some great stuff.
Its a highly addictive title once you start playing it as Maximillians recent smiles showed.

Other anime fighters worth checking are of course the BB and GG series, Nitroplus Blasterz which bears similarities to some of Dengeki but utilizes many different footsie and defensive options and two assists per character that can be called simultanously instead of one assist with two moves and of course it has no trump system or ignition system. Very VERY good game and if you can stand the dated look I'd also recommend Melty Blood and Arcana Heart 3 Love Max on steam which are both excellent titles these same studios produced which are considered their reasons for fame. Arcana lets you essentially equip an entire moveset on top of any moveset in the game each with different comeback mechanics, and stat changes alongside of specials, supers and other stuff. Plus it is the only game out there with homing dash cancels coupled with super jumps and even steerable homing dashes...its like a DBZ fight that tourney worthy! Melty has 3 different moveset variations per each of its cast and its got a LARGE cast and the movesets extend to more than just specials as normals and other stuff change. HUGE game full of movesets to play there. Both titles are very very very deep and offer tons of experimentation and fast paced action.

Also Koihime Enbu is a very solid and more traditional ground based fighter with good footsies. Relies heavily on crumple states to gain access to combos, launchers, wallbounces and new move properties and links. Has assists.

Thanks. I'm going to hold off Koihime Enbu, Arcana Hearts 3, and Melty Blood till they get cheaper on steam. I want to get into Guilty Gear but I don't like the fact that there could be iterations of their games which is going to make me spend more money just to be up to date with the series. Same with BB. It happened with MvC3 when I got a special edition of that game then many months later UMvC3 came out, didn't bother getting that game. As for Dengeki, I'll ask my brothers if they're willing to play that game with me if I get it. I have Skullgirls, I remember putting some practice doing combos with Valentine and other characters I was interested in based off looks. But I'm very terrible against players who are better than me. I don't have the motivation in getting back to that game right now.

shaowebb

it's really weird to see how many people have a hate boner for the fgc in that noel thread

Most casual fans don't really like the FGC to be honest. FGC sucks the fun simplicity out of things for them. It also creates a feeling of talking down to them in a lot of cases and being bullied when the FGC comes into contact with a casual player. They get trounced, and they get told its their fault and then asked why they didn't know things. Even if it wasn't done intentionally most casual players do not enjoy going up against FGC or playing with FGC because they are too serious for the lighthearted nature in which they prefer to game.

Its just a thing. Its not even wrong, because who are we to tell them how to have fun? Many will get offended over trying to help them because it feels both bothersome as well as a reminder of how incapably they performed which isn't fun for them. Its why simpler fighting games have more mass appeal. The easier it is to do "the cool move" the better the game is for casuals. The most cheered for thing I saw in casual streams of Injustice and MKX were the grapples and supers every single time. Not the combos, not the footsies, not the setups...the big moment was always the flashy moves. FGC stuff just doesn't translate to folks just out to have a fun time and do something cool in a single hit.

That thread doesn't surprise me in the least.
Thanks. I'm going to hold off Koihime Enbu, Arcana Hearts 3, and Melty Blood till they get cheaper on steam. I want to get into Guilty Gear but I don't like the fact that there could be iterations of their games which is going to make me spend more money just to be up to date with the series. Same with BB. It happened with MvC3 when I got a special edition of that game then many months later UMvC3 came out, didn't bother getting that game. As for Dengeki, I'll ask my brothers if they're willing to play that game with me if I get it. I have Skullgirls, I remember putting some practice doing combos with Valentine and other characters I was interested in based off looks. But I'm very terrible against players who are better than me. I don't have the motivation in getting back to that game right now.

Don't worry about winning or losing with fighters. Just about how to have fun. Even if its just in the lab by yourself or vs the computer on harder and harder difficulties to challenge yourself just enjoy doing things for your own sake. If you get to beat folks or have fun with them then thats fantastic. If not just find what you like to do regardless of whether its a combo you made or just setting them up successfully to eat a certain move like a dragonpunch when they jump. Have fun. Thats the best thing.

It was a fantastic show to watch from home. Gotta put it on the bucket list of tournies to go to when I finally start working and saving money.

Don't worry about winning or losing with fighters. Just about how to have fun. Even if its just in the lab by yourself or vs the computer on harder and harder difficulties to challenge yourself just enjoy doing things for your own sake. If you get to beat folks or have fun with them then thats fantastic. If not just find what you like to do regardless of whether its a combo you made or just setting them up successfully to eat a certain move like a dragonpunch when they jump. Have fun. Thats the best thing.

That's the mindset I need to have. I remember playing smash 4 with my brothers and cousins. Whenever I have a competitive mindset, I always got upset when I lose to something that's dumb. Even against online players in any fighting games. I just never looked at it that way.

shaowebb

That's the mindset I need to have. I remember playing smash 4 with my brothers and cousins. Whenever I have a competitive mindset, I always got upset when I lose to something that's dumb. Even against online players in any fighting games. I just never looked at it that way.

It'll do that to you. You don't have to be some super god at a game you want to get better at just for the sake of doing something you thought was cool. If you want to learn more about the game or learn cooler and cooler stuff in it then that should be your only goal. However good you get at the game is where you are the most comfortable playing in skillset. Never play a game till its not fun or make it into a job or some sort of personal brow beating where you hate yourself for not being some sorta highlight reel everytime you fight someone. Win...lose...who cares? Did I have fun that match? Then its worth playing. Because of this mindset you can even cheer when you lose because you occassionally see someone do something cool or get tricked really well. In occassions where I know I got hit by a really good trick like being pushblocked into Rocket Raccoon's ground super after he teleports behind me I can't help but laugh and say "good one!" even as I lose. It was clever and entertaining to me. Sometimes its my cleverness...sometimes its theirs. Who cares? Not me so long as I have fun and thats how it should be.

Find your fun zone, don't try to make yourself play it the way others act like you should, and just enjoy the game for the sake of what you wanted to try out in it. You'll often find you go further and do more eventually with this mindset because you never kill your own fun off and have a reason to keep trying out new stuff.

Sayad

Speaking of which, does anyone actually watch pools when it isn't a stacked tournament where top players can run into each others in pools?!

Line_HTX

I'll talk with you!
I don't post often because I've been sick plus the capcom wankfest got old ages ago
Yeah, it really does turn into a capcom circlejerk most places. Definitely true about Capcom getting browbeaten lately though. Honestly, I've had more fun with NRS titles and games that were pushed out by either Examu, ASW, or French Bread for years now. Especially NRS.

This sorta dreaming leads nowhere though. I've waxed poetic with tons of other folks before about how good a fit it is. Till Capcom finally flushes it aint happening and they'll ride that Monster Hunter money breaking even or slowing the fall for quite awhile yet.
I don't post much period anymore.

Even when I did it was mostly me raging after some bad losses so I don't think anyone's missing much.
I don't really write much about fighting games here because frankly, I don't think most people care. People's eyes were glossing over reading the Melty Blood OT, and that was a rather general overview. Most people don't want to get into the weeds in regards to any game... and that's fine, honestly. It's just not going to fit the people that do.

Regarding lack of hype for Xrd:Revelator outside of core players: ArcSys had their one shot to get people's attention and they blew it. You generally don't get second chances at people's attention spans, especially given all of the options people have for entertainment nowadays. They actually have a lot of content added that could have driven engagement over the last year and a half... but now they have a hat in hand asking for another $60 18 months later and no one has time for that. I don't think ArcSys cares much now since they still have that arcade revenue coming in (and management can't be happy about tanking arcade revenue for a console release that sold ~25,000 units in Japan), but that's a shrinking market now and it's only getting worse.

I think a lot of the people hating on and playing SF5 don't hate the game itself, but rather all of the bullshit surrounding the moment to moment combat. And can you blame them? Life would be a lot easier for everyone involved if Capcom didn't fuck up as badly as they did.

I guess my gripe is that it feels that more and more people are leaving and almost turning this place into a dead OT. I dunno, I feel frustrated that there's more silence than random talk on all of the different games like back then...

:|

NEO0MJ

Speaking of which, does anyone actually watch pools when it isn't a stacked tournament where top players can run into each others in pools?!

That depends on the game. Like I said in the Smash thread if a game is fully developed like Melee where you start seeing the same characters with similar strategies employed I don't watch much but if it's a relatively fresh game I'll stick longer.

Nightii

Banned
Smash 4 EVO pools were a blast last year, I got to see so many fun matches and strategies that I will never get to enjoy on a stream again.

I usually watch a bit of pools for SFV and Xrd (when it's available), not that optimal play can be fun in doses, and sometimes you get to see some crazy or funny stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom