• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Why are you complaining about a beta? The whole point of the beta is so they can make sure this doesn't happen at launch?"

WHERE_IS_YOUR_GOD_NOW.jpg

I was wrong to doubt you guys. :(

Kumubou

"Why are you complaining about a beta? The whole point of the beta is so they can make sure this doesn't happen at launch?"
To be fair, could you imagine if they didn't do a beta at all and launched with the beta 1 servers/netcode? D: D: D: D: D: It would have been worse than Driveclub's launch.

BadWolf

Don't have the game yet (was planning to buy it on PSN after work today) but I was really hopeful for this after how well the last beta went for me.

It was such a stark contrast compared to playing KOF where I would wait hours for someone to join my game. With SFV almost every minute I spent with it that weekend was playing against other people with next to no waiting.

Really hope they fix this quick.

well normally that is the point of a beta. it's not the fault of a beta that capcom is an incompetent company.
public beta's so rarely are anything other than glorified demos though.

Capcom did seem to at least try with the netcode here. The only true success I can think of is rainbow 6 siege. Game performed very well at launch after a rocky beta

Dahbomb

My point is that people didn't complain enough during the beta phases and they gave Capcom a pass because of "it's still a beta/WIP".

I actually do like the game a lot but a product that is not working as intended ... is a product that is not working as intended.

notworksafe

public beta's so rarely are anything other than glorified demos though.

Capcom did seem to at least try with the netcode here. The only true success I can think of is rainbow 6 siege. Game performed very well at launch after a rocky beta

fwiw there was improvement between beta 1 and launch. not quite enough improvement but it was there.

I don't know why anyone expected anything other than a total trainwreck from a Japanese developer who has shown zero capacity in regards to engineering an online experience of any worth.

It's hardly surprising that the stuff that isn't working at all (such as the servers at launch day load or battle lounges) are the things that they just decided to not test during the betas. Who thought this would end differently?

That's a bit too cynical, even for me. How would you test for launch day load? The assumption is that after the first beta, they could make better preparations.

fwiw there was improvement between beta 1 and launch. not quite enough improvement but it was there.
I did say they tried
That's a bit too cynical, even for me. How would you test for launch day load? The assumption is that after the first beta that they could make better preparations.
with proper systems analysts you can figure out a pretty good approximation of needs and try to meet them. The key then is spending properly for a launch without permanent loss in unnecessary infrastructure. I believe that microsoft and amazon services allow you to rent servers in a way that you can drop after initial load

mbpm1

My point is that people didn't complain enough during the beta phases and they gave Capcom a pass because of "it's still a beta/WIP".

I actually do like the game a lot but a product that is not working as intended ... is a product that is not working as intended.

Or they really didn't listen anyway

I mean, why even have a beta test if you aren't going to test lobbies?!

ideally the issues they saw in the first beta would have went into strengthening the rest of the game's infrastructure, so I'm not sure exactly why they ended up having a similar issue now

Beckx

The single player stuff is more disappointing than expected. The story mode is really bad. The fights aren't even fun, there's no adjustable difficulty. Storyboard, one round fight against AI that almost never attacks, storyboard, fight, end storyboard.

Hopefully survival is better.

I can tolerate the lack of SP content and the rocky server issues at launch, but dammit a mainline street fighter game should be a polished graphical package. Hair clipping, inexplicable titty bounce, 30fps background characters and god awful shadow dithering..
What does any of that have to do with Street Fighter
As far as game receptions, this is a pretty rough one. Gonna agree with Dahbomb for the second time in two weeks. I think I'm in a parallel universe

Next thing you know, you'll have a craving for UMvC3

Kumubou

That's a bit too cynical, even for me. How would you test for launch day load? The assumption is that after the first beta, they could make better preparations.
Only a percentage of people who buy the game at/near launch played in the betas. The game is going to move over a million units worldwide in about two weeks and the betas usually had what, 50-100k players across the weekend?

Honestly, they should have had an open beta over a very limited time period (much like the stress tests Nintendo ran for Splatoon before launch), to try to cram as many people on the servers as possible. And then if it actually works, you would then have additional processes in place where you could have servers send out additional connection requests (basically as if you were attempting to DDoS yourself). You can then extend this concept out to specific subservices in order to test redundancy on specific parts. (What happens if half of your load balancers disappear? How many storage units can die in a fire before everything fails? What happens if someone backhoes one of the interconnection points?) I don't think Sony would be OK with that kind of testing on live PSN servers, but you could certainly do that to your own services.

with proper systems analysts you can figure out a pretty good approximation of needs and try to meet them. The key then is spending properly for a launch without permanent loss in unnecessary infrastructure. I believe that microsoft and amazon services allow you to rent servers in a way that you can drop after initial load
To my knowledge, very few games actually use those sort of services -- most games still use older architectures. Part of this is probably due to how developers were not allowed to use any cloud provider on PSN or XBL until this generation (IIRC Microsoft only allows you to use Azure, but that's functional enough for this purpose).

Got Sf5 too. Hasn't been too bad for me so far. Took a couple tries to log in but no disconnects yet. Survival mode works and is giving me a bunch of fight monies. Can watch other people's replays. Not finding a lot of matches but the couple i've found were alright.

hitsugi

Well keep in mind whenever someone complained they got dogpiled by people touting "it's a beta" so yeah..

MrDaravon

I always got the impression the betas were more for netcode than server load, especially since they never did an open beta. Which is a separate issue, but hey.

Biggest thing pissing me off about the server situation is I can't even do Story/Survival since either I will potentially not get the FM, or more likely I'll get booted at some point during it. I get why that's the case but it's super dumb.

Beckx

What if SFV doesn't sell more than x Tekken

Given all the signs (delayed inventory, sold out accessories, steam top sellers list, discussion everywhere) that seems unlikely.

The bigger questions - long term thriving online, tournament culture - will develop over time.

I always got the impression the betas were more for netcode than server load, especially since they never did an open beta. Which is a separate issue, but hey.

Biggest thing pissing me off about the server situation is I can't even do Story/Survival since either I will potentially not get the FM, or more likely I'll get booted at some point during it. I get why that's the case but it's super dumb.

I always got the impression the beta program was intended first and foremost to generate pre-orders, but may have at least helped them with balance and net code decisions.

jbug617

Banned
What if SFV doesn't sell more than x Tekken

Well they said they are looking for 2 million sales so they should be able to hit that. Would be interesting if it would be #1 next month on NPD because seems like the only other competition is Far Cry Primal.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
If SFV bombs, I'll do what I've been doing before I started playing fighting games and that's being a social human being.

I just want season 2 to have Makoto, Q and Cody if possible. I'll leave everything else to fate.

Season 2 potentials aside from those you listed:

Sakura
Akumer
Dudley
Viper
Sagat
Sean
Oro
fuck it too many to list

The only ones I fee confident in for season 2 are Sakura and Akuma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom