• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still love gaming, but I'm much more selective than I used to be. The occassional AAA game, a few indies here and there, a couple mobile games, a couple fighting games, and Civilization because Civ is eternal life.

ShinMaruku

Cammy needs platinum hair.

What type of hair?

Zissou

Fighting games probably make up 95%+ of my gaming these days, with occasional other stuff getting some play here and there. A lot of genres without a lot of mechanical meat on their bones fall flat for me now.

What do video games offer? Usually, very little. You can gain something of merit or expand your worldview watching the right movie/show or reading the right book. With a game that's rare, so I find them to mostly be a waste of time and money.
This is ridiculous "Well if you give this one piece of media special consideration you might find something worthwhile. If you pick a random example of this other piece of media it might turn out to be shit. So fuck all of it."

Nonsense.

My answer is more than a little pretentious but at least it's honest!

No, it's just stupid.

mbpm1

What type of hair?

Platinum the Trinity Hair

This is ridiculous "Well if you give this one piece of media special consideration you might find something worthwhile. If you pick a random example of this other piece of media at random it might turn out to be shit. So fuck all of it."

Nonsense.

If you don't like the medium nothing will convince you to slog through the shit to get to the good stuff I think.

Saying there's no merit in a medium you don't appreciate is a little disrespectful though.

This is ridiculous "Well if you give this one piece of media special consideration you might find something worthwhile. If you pick a random example of this other piece of media it might turn out to be shit. So fuck all of it."

Nonsense.

No, it's just stupid.

It's not stupid, you just disagree. I'm not sure I understand your point with the quote though?

Video games are medium that have boundless potential that will probably never reach it because too many are trying to make games "fun." My opinion comes not out of disrespect for video games but the opposite: I think they could be so much more. But while people argue anything is a waste of time, there's entire books and tv shows that deconstruct our society and make us rethink our places in it. Where's video games The Wire? Or Roots? Or Ullsyses? Or To Kill A Mockingbird. Video games are unique in that they can transport you to any place in time. Video games could be an effective way of examining the consequences and realities of the TransAtlantic Slave Trade, starring a slave. Or they could go over the Holocaust or other real world events and give credence to the idea that video games' interactivity leads to higher planes of storytelling and understanding our world. But instead, we're shooting up aliens. Most video games are dumb and the medium achieves less than half it could.

Can't wait to play Life Is Strange, though. Games like that are on the right track.

It's not stupid, you just disagree. I'm not sure I understand your point with the quote though?
No I don't disagree, I think it's idiotic to be so narrow minded. You dismiss a medium because it doesn't live up to your expectations? I honestly have no answer to that, obviously you are free to have it. But the reasons you provided, I can't help but think less of you as a person. If you don't see any value in it fine, but it's not your place to judge the value of any creative work. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder is an old line that applies in this case as any other. The value of a thing is as great as anyone chooses to see in it.

Tripon

It's weird, but as I get older, I gravitate towards long burning games, even when I know I don't have time. Maybe that's why I like Fighters so much, because I know I can sink hundreds of hours into them. Now if only I actually had time to play them....

mbpm1

Video games are medium that have boundless potential that will probably never reach it because too many are trying to make games "fun." My opinion comes not out of disrespect for video games but the opposite: I think they could be so much more. But while people argue anything is a waste of time, there's entire books and tv shows that deconstruct our society and make us rethink our places in it. Where's video games The Wire? Or Roots? Or Ullsyses? Or To Kill A Mockingbird. Video games are unique in that they can transport you to any place in time. Video games could be an effective way of examining the consequences and realities of the TransAtlantic Slave Trade, starring a slave. Or they could go over the Holocaust or other real world events and give credence to the idea that video games' interactivity leads to higher planes of storytelling and understanding our world. But instead, we're shooting up aliens. Most video games are dumb and the medium achieves less than half it could.

Can't wait to play Life Is Strange, though. Games like that are on the right track.

I dunno.

Sure, we have those things in movies, books, etc. But you know what those things also have that games don't? Time. Decades of time to improve, grow, and work alongside the society to be bigger than just a fun shoot about a train going through a tunnel.

IMO you're judging a very new medium in this way is comparable to putting down the players you fight against online bc they're not Daigo or Momochi. And also neglecting the idea that the same newbie is also a part of the fun of playing online at all in his or her own way. You saying you're not disrespecting games bc you can see them as so much more seems, to me, like it's expecting a teen to be an adult and getting mad at it for not being one. Which is...kinda disrespectful in its own way.

Not everyone has to be the best, and not every medium has to be as developed as other which are decades/centuries/millenia older than them, and frankly there's more than enough room for "fun" and "so much more."

And for the record, XCOM 2 is an amazing game.

The idea that video games that aim to be fun are dumb/less worthy is a really fuckin dumb opinion. Like you probably should have just kept that lil gem to yourself.

Time spent having fun isn't wasted lmao what is this

Eh. if movies can have both Concussion and Star Wars in theaters at the same time, games can surely offer a similar balance.

It's not that there's anything wrong with fun. I love fun. But when all you offer is fun, I begin to question what the point is.

So I only play fighting games where, while they're fun, the real battle is against myself. I can digest and learn from that, so I find value in it.

Different strokes.

jerry1594

It's weird, but as I get older, I gravitate towards long burning games, even when I know I don't have time. Maybe that's why I like Fighters so much, because I know I can sink hundreds of hours into them. Now if only I actually had time to play them....
I like them because they can take up my time in very short to very long increments. 100 hour+ RPGs feel like I have to keep up with a TV show or binge seasons and I hate that shit.

There's no need for the inferiority complex here. Games aren't lesser for being mostly focused on providing fun and they don't have to suck the dick that pisses on them in the first place.

auto-9gag-1851931.jpeg

Yes, games are this, and it's fine.

mbpm1

Also for the record, for the amount of books and movies that come out vs the amount of games that come out I'd say they are tied in disappointing and letting down the medium tbh

There's no need for the inferiority complex here. Games aren't lesser for being mostly focused on providing fun and they don't have to suck the dick that pisses on them in the first place.

What inferiority complex? I don't identify as a gamer. Gaming culture is completely foreign to me. The only way I'd have an inferiority complex here is if I were actually invested in video games beyond fighters. I don't even know what Detective Pikachu is.

Games are allowed to be dumb fun. Just look at Revengeance.

Games are also allowed to be critically acclaimed, despite being boring and dull. Just look at FF6.

This is the worst thing I have ever read on NeoGAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom