• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

I feel dirty saying things like this because I'm not at a competitive level but Chun Li in general is bullshit in this game. She has EVERYTHING.

Zolo

I guess they'll have to start re-labeling these books:
Journey%20Art%20Book%20-%20Blog.jpg

41P82D63W0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

GorillaJu

I mean...the game isn't even 2 weeks old, but from what I've seen already it might not be much of a stretch to say that.

fuck

My level of tolerance for defeat is nowhere near the amount it would take to actually figure out what to do against Chun. I guess I could start by never pressing buttons in neutral.

Every fucking Chun does this ant-air LK, dash under, cr. LP, st. MP, cr. MK legs combo and it gets me without fail, every single time. When am I going to learn not to press buttons.

GorillaJu

play who do you

I don't have a main at the moment but I've been playing Laura over the past few days and that's where my frustrations are.

There's a part of fighting games I've never gotten good at, and that's having a game plan. I never go into any game with a game plan, and I never think about what their game plan is. Matchup knowledge is so important and I just never learn it. Like, I should know when to expect a crouching jab, because it always happens in the same place. But somehow I don't learn. zzz

Zissou

My level of tolerance for defeat is nowhere near the amount it would take to actually figure out what to do against Chun. I guess I could start by never pressing buttons in neutral.

Every fucking Chun does this ant-air LK, dash under, cr. LP, st. MP, cr. MK legs combo and it gets me without fail, every single time. When am I going to learn not to press buttons.

just block?

Rhapsody

Banned
Man I can't block cross ups in this game to save my life. It's so much harder to tell what side they're gonna land on you compared to 4.

I've found it much easier than 4. 4 had super ambiguous stuff for me.

But my answer is also because I usually don't let the opponent get too many chances to jump in on me if I can help it. So I've been seeing much less of attempted ambiguous jump ins.

I've found it much easier than 4. 4 had super ambiguous stuff for me.

But my answer is also because I usually don't let the opponent get too many chances to jump in on me if I can help it. So I've been seeing much less of attempted ambiguous jump ins.

I've been trying to keep the proper spacing for opponents that jump a lot so I can anti-air them easily, but when I'm getting messed up, I can't stop any cross ups. Maybe it's just the switch from Ryu/Hugo to Laura that's screwing me up in the anti-air game more than the game itself is.

Rhapsody

Banned
I've been trying to keep the proper spacing for opponents that jump a lot so I can anti-air them easily, but when I'm getting messed up, I can't stop any cross ups. Maybe it's just the switch from Ryu/Hugo to Laura that's screwing me up in the anti-air game more than the game itself is.

I just jump back jab/fierce if it's a weird angle. Even outside of that, I'm lucky Karin deals with jump ins really easily.

If the timing is too awkward for me, I just opt for a command dash under to avoid it entirely if possible.

I just jump back jab/fierce if it's a weird angle. Even outside of that, I'm lucky Karin deals with jump ins really easily.

If the timing is too awkward for me, I just opt for a command dash under to avoid it entirely if possible.

Those are the two things I try to do with Laura (though it's v-skill instead of a command dash), but my reaction times are abysmally bad. I probably just gotta set the AI to do some random cross ups and keep practicing it more.

I was specifically referring to her bolded line.

Also, Wesker's launcher is -1 on block.

But I'll give a serious and thorough response: the common American perspective is "useful or bust". What's this for? What are you doing with your time? How productive are you? It's a corporatist attitude that is becoming more prevalent in our society, and really, at the bottom it says "your value as a person is equal to your productivity". To have idle enjoyment is suspicious; we can only justify vacations as a means to refresh ourselves for more work.

There is value in the transformative experience of people coming to enjoy themselves without feeling guilty. The sexual revolution made an attempt at this, but we have largely slid back to notions of usefulness and productivty. Now some think video games need to ascend to art. If someone wants to make a video game in an attempt at art, that's wonderful - I have no qualm with that. But to claim it is needed while simultaneously attacking basic fun is disturbing. Even with the claim to art, the real idea is "if video games could be art, then they wouldn't be so useless, and I could feel so much better about them".

You raise some good points that aren't brought up often
enough

you don't think expression of self through the game is something that happens? i'd think the fun part and that go hand-in-hand in why the genre in it's many facets is so appealing/consuming to some folks, especially across such a broad range of people

My post was more about it being a worthwhile/responsible use of time actually

But comparing it to other forms of art, it's a game, there's only so much a person can do. Moreover, we don't play these games in a vaccuum, so ymmv given your choice of character and the current meta.

Shouta

It's not uncommon for people to hate on an entire entertainment medium. People do this with anime all the time. But instead of dismissing opinions as stupid or as "worst post in GAF history," they should be constructively engaged. Cindi makes great points - video games for the most part have piss poor storytelling and the experiences aren't meaningful beyond the "fun" that they provide. Books and movies can be very emotionally captivating via the storytelling - e.g. they can have the power to make a racist individual more accepting and open minded, which would be a life altering experience that leads to a more fair-minded individual. The decisions and choices that individual makes can then have a positive impact on society, instead of negative. I don't think I could name a single video game that could have that sort of impact, but I can name multiple books and movies.

Books and movies are engaging and captivating if you're open to them being so. If you aren't open to it, then they aren't any different than a videogame. It really doesn't have anything to do with the storytelling or it prioritizing fun.

The big issue that games face is not just the fact that it's a young medium but that it's still bound by the critical thinking methods that only really work for Books and Movies. Those two mediums are not interactive so many people have yet to understand how to approach games in the same manner. There hasn't been a paradigm shift for it yet. I don't think many people understand how interactivity changes everything.

For me, there are games that rival books and movies when I factor that extra dimension in. Lufia 2 is a great example for me. It's not the most amazing story but the way it works as a game is so poignant to me. The story is enhanced by the journey I personally make to the end. I traversed those dungeons as them. I fought those battles as them. Then
seeing Maxim and Selan still die on Doom island hurts all the same, maybe even more. despite knowing from onset of the game that it was their destiny. Getting to see Maxim fight to his last breath to save the life of his son from the crashing fortress then seeing his and Selan's spirit as they make their journey to see their baby boy with that music...
So many tears after I finished that game back in the day. ;_;

So yeah, it's about how you approach videogames more than something with videogames themselves.

It's not uncommon for people to hate on an entire entertainment medium. People do this with anime all the time. But instead of dismissing opinions as stupid or as "worst post in GAF history," they should be constructively engaged. Cindi makes great points - video games for the most part have piss poor storytelling and the experiences aren't meaningful beyond the "fun" that they provide. Books and movies can be very emotionally captivating via the storytelling - e.g. they can have the power to make a racist individual more accepting and open minded, which would be a life altering experience that leads to a more fair-minded individual. The decisions and choices that individual makes can then have a positive impact on society, instead of negative. I don't think I could name a single video game that could have that sort of impact, but I can name multiple books and movies.
i find books and movies to be emotional blackholes while video games are completely captivating. Its why most of the movies I watch these days are comedies and summer action flicks

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Art is finally rank one. Champ is not far behind by only 20+ points. And then that Ebar fraud from Netherlands or something.

Shun

I just watch Ip Man 3, the one with Donnie Yen and Mike Tyson. All I can say is what...?

Not much Mike Tyson, action scene was cool. Pretty funny. Still no Bruce Lee.

Is hard survival really that much of a bitch? Gonna try it now.
You'd be better off knocking your head against a wall for fifteen minutes.
I feel dirty saying things like this because I'm not at a competitive level but Chun Li in general is bullshit in this game. She has EVERYTHING.
She is, but I never see her. Karin and Laura appear more often despite being far worse than Chun.

Tekken Project having fun during work. Harada looks so young in the purikura

Dear god, those eyes. I'm glad I was sitting down prior to seeing that.

Also, I like how Harada's sunglasses are pretty much a permanent fixture on his face. It's like Indiana Jones with the hat.

GorillaJu

You'd be better off knocking your head against a wall for fifteen minutes.

She is, but I never see her. Karin and Laura appear more often despite being far worse than Chun.

I see a shit load of Chuns in Japan. Definitely ustill 10 times more Karins though :lol

They fucking love her

GorillaJu

I'm not even sure what this means.

You're doing it wrong. The real answer is to slide. Dhalsim should always slide, especially at point-blank.

hahahaha

I'm playing Laura now anyway, dropped a fuck ton of LP but I didn't wanna play Dhalsim forever since I feel like he sits so far outside what I'm familiar with as Street Fighter. I wanna learn how to get in that ass you know

edit: should I go for the triple

the hat trick

.,.. nah i'm done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom