• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Alright the game looks better on an actual tv. Some faces still need work obviously and overall visuals could use more touches.

Rhapsody

Banned
what do you not like about it?

The movement. It's hard to explain but I really don't like controlling it. I'm not worrying about combos and stuff since everything dies fast anyways. Characters just feel really weird to move around right now.

I guess the super jump and holding down to restrict your height is sort of neat for more control.

pizzacat

Banned
Everybody's golf looks pretty turnt up
I played in the beta

The charm of hsg is still there but not much of it shows it's head

Putt mechanic is now like a regular shot for some reason

I haven't played on since 4, a little disappointed but I'm still getting it because lul I don't use this ps4

There's a demo for Marvel: Infinite? I've been at work since before Sony's E3 conference.

I'll reserve judgment until I can get my hands on it, but those trailers still weren't selling me on it.

shaowebb

Hot fire from this Dragonball Fighter Z gameplay vid that dropped. In it you get to see assists setups, DHC, the teleports, tags, homing dash stuff, the projectile invincible dash used, the crazy throw tech stuff, perfect guarding, and the final character meter gain too.

Dragonball Fighter Z being fast as hell

Here...gaze upon some beautiful fighting game DHC.

https://giant.gfycat.com/PhonyTangibleAlaskajingle.webm
AnnualWelldocumentedJay-size_restricted.gif

Now I'm off to play the Marvel demo.

MechaX

I am just curious; have the top players (of Marvel specifically) made any comment on DBZ yet?

I have seen Yipes and co hype Infinite, but haven't seen them on DBZ.

shaowebb

Played the demo thru a few times. Sucks the fodder enemies are so weak...they die before you can really learn much of anything. Like a combo will kill them. Only chance to experiment is really vs Ultron Sigma.

So far these are things I liked.
  • Megaman X feels great. Do a fireball then tap any button afterwards and he has one of 4 followups that he'll cancel into and do behind his slow buster projectile. A diving overhead, a slide, jumping back, or rush down. He's got good shit there. Plus his other moves like the wind cutter goes up, behind then returns for great mixups. Ice shot reminded me of Cable's air grenade. Really really like his tools. Very fun guy.
  • Thor is way better now. His hammer throw is like Cap shield shenanigans in a combo and he has lots of ways to pick a combo back up with how fast he got. Very good. This guy will finally get some play.
  • Time stone is great. The easiest thing you can do with it is use it and it'll put you into the teleport dash go behind then immediately tag out once you are behind them...you come in on the previous side so you can fake a go behind to get a left right mixup. Very similar to some Polimar/Karas shenanigans I used to pull with command dodges and teleport dashing.
  • Teleport dash + Arthur= hurray!
  • Rocket and groot assists feels very Marvel. Him and Ultron now both have assist style stuff. Groot will either do a diagonal branch thing or dive in from above to smash. I kinda preferred his other traps and log trap stuff though, but as the game develops he's gonna be liked for Groot tools I can see. Especially with Time stone dashing and setups allowing him some crazy setups with electric trap, porting, summoning Groot and tagging. It'll be a lot of setups to deal with using him...except he kinda felt slower to me.

Nothing really "new" or surprising in that list from me. Its all stuff we knew and figured anyhow but it feels good and I wanted to bring up how easy X feels to use and how good he feels for mixups and pressure. The enemies just plain die to quickly to study much, but it feels easy. LH punch and LH kick is not a big change really from LMHS once you start doin stuff. Just means you need a real input to launcher. Seems everyone has command normals as well with toward or diagonals. Thor's are really good and so are Captain Marvel's.
Its gonna be easy to get some long combos in this game and there will be a LOT of setups and not just because of Stones. Seems most everyone has some kind of tool to setup shit where something is coming out or a threat and then you gotta face a left right or high low. Stones are not infrequent though. You can just use them a TON so between that and tags it honestly feels like you may face MORE mixups than before with some teams. If a team has some combination of Timestone + Rocket/Ultron/X/Arthur I can easily see you facing an avalanche of rapid fire setups already. Only big thing is I see dudes who were mobile that tended to rely on assists to maintain constant pressure will have to chase more now or will need to abuse stones more to keep their pressure. I think this is why Spencer got the grenade...toss it up and then go for shit to stay on top of them because he can't just call an assist to occupy his opponent so he can go for his stuff.

Game feels good, but I can't get any specific shit. Just a lot of general "neat stuff" moments because the matches end too easily vs fodder. Feels like it'll still get pretty crazy though.

Line_HTX

Man... Chun's face, what in the fuck...

In MVCI, Chun didn't sleep at all and stayed woke the whole time. I mean, look at those circles under her eyes, lmao.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I am just curious; have the top players (of Marvel specifically) made any comment on DBZ yet?

I have seen Yipes and co hype Infinite, but haven't seen them on DBZ.

The general reactions from the rank and file tend to mimic GAF overall, judging from my FGC Twitter/Facebook circle.

pixelish

just saw on twitter that there's only a month left till evo. i think this is the least hype i've been for evo since i started watching in 2011.

shaowebb

Okay I gotta say I really like MVCI and think it can coexist with DBFZ because of how different the playstyles are but MVCI is DEFINITELY not gonna fill any need for a sequel to the type of team building folks were hooked on in MVC2 and UMVC3. DBFZ will absorb those folks needing to meet those needs. MVCI feels great but its team building is gonna be entirely different and removed from the type of thinking in MVC titles before it. It feels more like SFxTekken in how you gotta strategize your teams and setup shit. Footsies feel more TVC because all you got are like plink dashes and offense is generally better for movement but more than anything this just feels like a faster SFxTekken right now since there are no assists outside of characters with tools that work like that like Ultron or Rocket.

MVCI feels great and its a lot of fun but its an entirely different type of game than its series. So if you needed the gameplay over the Marvel/Capcom roster and thats why you were really a fan of older MVC you'll odds on find yourself happier and making a switch to Dragonball Fighterz IMO. This doesn't feel at all like UMVC3 or MVC2. You'll either be diehard marvel and capcom character fans or you'll follow the Mahvel gameplay this time around because each element is in entirely different games now. Who knows though...maybe I'm not the only guy who will legit play both. I think thats what folks should do this time.

BadWolf

Doubt many MVC players will switch to DBZ, especially when it comes to tournaments, with MVCI getting it's own CapCup thing.

Line_HTX

It's the least hype because SFV is still terrible and now there are so many other fighters to get interested and learn.

Don't really care for Ultimate's swan song though, meh../

Doubt many MVC players will switch to DBZ, especially when it comes to tournaments, with MVCI getting it's own CapCup thing.

That would be a hilarious end to the marvel story. FGC asks for Marvel for years, they get Marvel in the form of DBF and they ignore it for esports.

shaowebb

Thats the real thing...pro players gotta get paid. SFV has so many dudes whove stated they'd leave if the money was elsewhere but its gonna stay big so long as it gets folks paid. MVCI isn't a SFV in my opinion though...it looks fun and most importantly very flexible in what you get to do out there. Puttin up money will pad its numbers though...same as any game. Here's hoping DBZ gets something like that someday. Would love to see the ASW circuit series happen.

All that aside though check this out! Maximilian apparently got hype as shit when he discovered the same thing I did about timestone+tag mixups.

https://giant.gfycat.com/PerfumedMatureBasilisk.webm
https://giant.gfycat.com/CreativeOrneryAgama.webm

Bonus! Max playing around with the Buster cancels and goin for stuff off it with Megaman X!
https://giant.gfycat.com/GlamorousGratefulDalmatian.webm

MrCarter

It plays like it's origins series. Marvel Super Heroes, XMvSF, MSHvsSF and MvC1 don't care if it doesn't play like MvC2 or 3 and I don't care if those players are not happy about it. A new meta and crowd will play the game and if the old crowd don't like it they can of course go to DBF...but something tells me that's not gonna actually happen.

shaowebb

Man why didn't they play the gameplay trailer instead last night? This shit looks way better in motion on stage than in cutscenes. Its not perfect but man those faces in cutscenes are whack. Chris, Cap and Chun need some real touchup and I aint just talking more shader map work like KOF 14 needed and got. The dudes that look the best are the ones who have metallic outfits because those shaders look better on their own without the need for all the touchup work the rest of the maps still need.

Playing MVCI made me want to screw around a little with UMVC3 again.

qjN69D.gif

I used to have a 1 million damage combo with this team that was meterless, but for the life of me I can't remember how the hell it went outside of getting two doom assists by tagging out and a shit ton of upgrapples.

Top Bottom