• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Tripon

Hand warmers are the dumbest fucking thing. There's no reasonable excuse for that shit.

I always hear that that Melee players have to do it on the stream station because they're testing if their controller works with the gamecube or something.

To which I say, play on some fucking Wii's then.

And that doesn't explain Brawl, PM, 64 or Smash 4 players taking forever on that shit either.

Players do do handwarmers on stream do not respect anybody's time.

Rhapsody

Banned
My gameplay impressions on DBFZ right now:

Game is pretty simple for new players, as expected. Like stated, game has auto-combos. Can even be done on whiff. Probably good for newer players since people run into things and get hit, so they get to see combos happen more frequently. Lights and Mediums are like Persona's A and B normals. Heavies feel like if you tried to give dust followups to heavy attacks. Crouch Heavy launches them upwards and then Stand Heavy is like side Dust. Then you chase after them with your homing dash which everyone knows.

Movement definitely feels more in line with the Dragon Ball Extreme Butoden game on 3DS. ASW usually has those subtleties on how a game feels, and it didn't feel like GG/BB/P4U for me at all.

Characters and assists. Assists right now feel plain. They sort of remind me of Jump Ultimate Stars, except that game had the cool bottom screen panel stuff. Most of these are just beams lol

Characters right now are pretty standardish. The characters don't feel extremely different from each other, but these are the early standard type characters. I do hope we see some with interesting mechanics later on. Nothing on GG/BB/P4 level, but something like Smash 4 would be great. I just want to see some unique stuff in these movesets.

The game definitely feels pretty accessible, but I don't know about intuitive. I clicked with P4 a lot faster, but probably because that tried to be super similar to GG and BB. I've only played 3 matches, so it's still not enough for me to get a good grasp on it. Tried my best to figure out stuff but kind of felt lost as a whole lol

The game seems pretty cool though. Honestly I'm looking forward to MvCI more in terms of gameplay. Everything else though, probably DBFZ. The game's still early and it's not like I had a lot of time with it, so the possibilities will be interesting.

shaowebb

Gotta admit though... footsies and meaties are terrible phrases too. They sound almost sexual.
Playing footsies till you get them in the corner knocked down and then slapping them with a meaty does sound a bit off. Especially if you play as Nightwing who uses a stick and whose actual name is also a term for genitalia.

Dahbomb

I have seen meaty be used in other games but it's not in the same reference as in fighting games.

Like whenever Blizzard is doing their PR lip service for their games, they usually throw in a "we wanted the game to feel really meaty" as in the the feel and weight of the game when attacks are hitting. Like when you use Exploding Palm or SSS in Diablo 3, it felt "meaty".

Other companies use meaty to describe breadth of content.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, this is pretty funny. I looked up where "meaty" came from and found this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/49dwou/origin_of_term_meaty/

Here's a 1994 quote from alt.games.sf2 on usenet:
Let's not use the word 'meaty', okay? Use 'well timed' or 'timed'. Nobody likes the word 'meaty'.
They didn't even like it 23 years ago.

>Phil is talking about a regular move, such as a
>crouching strong or forward kick. Referred to as 'meaty' attacks, since
>the meaty part of the attack connects.
This must be the origin. I guess the idea is that the part of the move that can actually hit is the meaty part. Start-up and recovery must be "bones" then lol

Everytime they have to use/explain footsies and meaty to some random person, who is jumping into the scene, on stream...

It's not a good term man.

mbpm1

They should embrace the sexual implications I wanna hear Yipes explain meaties as if you were courting your opponent and winning in it as if you were taking them to bed

I said footsies and meaties and dps all sound dirty and I get shit. smh
I agree with you. You never really realize it until you try to inform people who don't know anything about it.

Thats some fuck boy shit right there.

"If you can't dp, you can't get the D."

�� �� �� Clown.
Not even going to bother with refuting that obvious bullshit.
Is he saying he won't have sex with a woman unless there is another man there to help? WTF?

ShinMaruku

You get shit because you're a moron and no one likes you.
551bb02a1bd3a986b6eadfe2c90254cc--dead-or-alive-.jpg

Pompadour

Everytime they have to use/explain footsies and meaty to some random person, who is jumping into the scene, on stream...

It's not a good term man.

The worst fighting game term, easily, is "Happy Birthday". It only applies to a few fighting games overall so it could be worse but it has absolutely no connection to what's actually happening aside from "it's a good thing and birthdays are also a good thing".

DP is still the worst. It applies to almost every fighting game. Means literally nothing to a new player even if you know what it stands for. And of course the majority of people will immediately think double penetration

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Tekken has "chickens" as an official game mechanic only because of an old bug where the announer would say it. (He still says it in 7)

Tekken has "chickens" as an official game mechanic only because of an old bug where the announer would say it. (He still says it in 7)

How did that glitch come about? Was the voice synthesized like Miku or some shit? I always assumed the announcer was pre-recorded.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
How did that glitch come about? Was the voice synthesized like Miku or some shit? I always assumed the announcer was pre-recorded.
It was, but for something else.
''CHICKEN'' is an in-game sound in Tekken 3 that played when you picked a fried chicken in Tekken Force mode. It became really popular after the Chicken glitch was found. The sound bit would play everytime you did a reversal escape to throws in T3.

AAK

In Tekken 1, Namco originally wanted the announcer to say "Chicken" when the player blocks and turtles for too long the same way Guilty Gear has their announcer say "Negative Penalty".

It was glitched and the announcer said 'Chicken" when you counter a reversal instead. They removed the glitch in Tekken 6 but they put it back in Tekken Tag 2 as per fan demands.

shaowebb

Backed. Waifu aesthetic be damned this is one of the best fighting games I've played and I've made it a point to play EVERYTHING. This game series and its mechanics was a standout in a long history of standouts.
  • homing dashes and homing dash cancels make for insane aggressive play
  • clashes make it so that flurry situations can occur and it keep things fast and wonderful
  • Honestly some of the best movement I've ever enjoyed in a game
  • Arcanas allow you a level of customization no other game has yet to match. Sure they've had "add a move" or "select a comeback factor" stuff in other titles but NOTHING in comparison to full arcanas
    • passive moves
    • passive abiliites like poison or teleport
    • stat modifiers
    • a full characters worth of special moves
    • New supers
    • new ultras
    • each arcana has its own unique xfactor power. From poison touch normals, to nearly no knockback in combos, to magnetic shit and hyper armor its all there.

Basically all the "amazing" and "crazy shit" MVCI and DBFZ are showing up with this game did first. Homing dashes, infinity stones...that shit was all a part of arcanas and believe me when I say they look waaaaaay toned down in both MVCI and DFBZ. You owe it to yourselves to play the originator in its final game's rebalanced arcade form. Its a fighting game fucking sandbox where I can take a character and add an entire character's worth of tools on top of it to them.

Want a grappler with homing projectiles and lazers? Sure. How bout you just maximize that grappler with hyper armor and damage buffs instead? Okay. Want a character that places traps in the air, on the ground with a lariat and other shenanigans to ALSO have poison on touch? K. How about a rekka character with the ability to flood the air with obstacles that can explode into waterfall like pillars to force folks to land and eat pressure? We got you fam. How about a Jojo stand character but you want them to have hyper armor? Sho nuff. How bout someone with half screen normals and huge mobility gaining heals from hitting folks? We in there.

Arcana Heart is insane and fantastic. Back this.

fun things In this series said:
check this one mixup out
vB4ZrHw.gif

Those kunai fly upwards on command. They woke up expecting more corner pressure, ate the throw and then got jumped on. You block high you eat the kunai, you block low you eat the jump in, you forward roll you corner yourself and you backwards roll and they use homing dash on jump in and you run very close to being hit by the kunai anyways and might not make it.

Heres a few more moments to enjoy
iYqzEz0.gif
lFUR9oE.gif
gSPCj4v.gif

Insane tourney in japan on the new title Arcana Heart 3 Love Max Six Stars to get an idea on how the series plays at high level

No way I can support a project like this with a clear conscience. Maybe if they start from scratch with a less creepy idea I'd be willing to support.
Also, some loser actually payed $5k to be drawn with their waifu, lol. Fucking nerds, man.
I'm lolling so hard @ the 5K tier.

Top Bottom