• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

NEO0MJ

It's a perm

Pretty bad look on gaf for perming someone over something like that of all things.

A good rule of thumb on Gaf is to never make fun of Evilore, directly or otherwise. He drops the hammer super fast on you. My guess is he took the jabs at Neogaf personally.

shaowebb

Anyone else here playing the UMVC3 Arcade Edition Beta?

Thing is pretty sweet so far. These Iron Fist and Arthur changes are great. I kinda like pairing in Hsien Ko now that she's got some mobility and tool fixes.

IRONFIST CHANGES

-cr.L hits low
-st.S otgs, hits airborne opponents (but hitbox is very low to the ground)
-S rekkas are now doable outside of 3rd rekka string
-can S rekka on 2nd rekka now- thanks to AJ for reminding me about this
-blue chi reduces damage by 25% instead of 20%
-added air dragon kick. it's slightly more active and hitbox starts up slightly faster than grounded dragon kick. recovers slightly before landing from SJ height.
-atk+S moves have trail effects on them
-fixed the thing on air backthrow where if you throw too low to the ground he floats with air normals for no reason

ARTHUR CHANGES

-enabled ground dashes, replaced magneto speed dash w/ ryu's
-when naked, ground dashes go further
-autoguard active frames on st.m increased
-can re-activate gold armor to refresh timer
-added armor explode during gold armor on qcb+taunt

HSIEN KO CHANGES

-forward ground dash distance per hop increased
-forward air dash speed increased
-cr.m hitstun increased
-cr.h travel distance and velocity increased
-can use S to brake pendulum similar to vsav
-tenraiha drops more balls but reduced damage on balls to make tenraiha damage more consistent vs. random ball drop
-chireitou damage slightly increased
-EX item toss and EX gong added on motion+S. cost one bar to use.
-EX item toss throws a 1 medium durability tenraiha ball at L item toss angle, causes stun on hit.
-EX gong shoots out a slow moving gong that has no time limit. is air OK.

Hsien ko is pretty new to me. Probably still rock Taskmaster and put Arthur on Anchor again. His parabolic shot just works better to corner folks on incoming with Iron Fist. Especially since Tasky can cancel out of his counter into an attack with H now. Ironfist combos are amazing now though with access to Wall of Kun Lun and rising fang having an air ok version to toy with.

Dahbomb

Everything related to "you know who" is bannable on GAF for the foreseeable future.

There are other things too but of course then I would get banned for just mentioning them. Best to just stay clear of OT as much as possible.

Thing is pretty sweet so far. These Iron Fist and Arthur changes are great. I kinda like pairing in Hsien Ko now that she's got some mobility and tool fixes.

Hsien ko is pretty new to me. Probably still rock Taskmaster and put Arthur on Anchor again. His parabolic shot just works better to corner folks on incoming with Iron Fist. Especially since Tasky can cancel out of his counter into an attack with H now. Ironfist combos are amazing now though with access to Wall of Kun Lun and rising fang having an air ok version to toy with.

Firebrand air dash is bad.

Dormammu got no interesting changes.

Dark Phoenix sucks.

Shuma-Gorath still sucks.

Dark Harmonizer deleted.

Shit patch.

Dahbomb

Dormammu got the 1C1D as an assist though.

Unless that's the other version. Damn two fan patch lists of Marvel 3 is making this harder to follow.

CO_Andy

A good rule of thumb on Gaf is to never make fun of Evilore, directly or otherwise. He drops the hammer super fast on you. My guess is he took the jabs at Neogaf personally.
Prime what's-his-face from FGH got the hammer after he called Evilore a Bieber fan

Is this the same thing as Project Marvel? I haven't really been following this stuff.

Dahbomb

Is this the same thing as Project Marvel? I haven't really been following this stuff.
There are two different versions, one by our resident Marvel player Seyavesh (squaidatab on Youtube) which is called Arcade edition and one by Youtuber/Redditor EMC/Game650 which is called EX edition.

The EX edition is more further along and also uses some stuff from the AE version. People will be playing that EVO on the side (yes that includes top players like FChamp).

Also MVC3 EVO highlights from year 1 to now.

Seyavesh

Dormammu got the 1C1D as an assist though.

Unless that's the other version. Damn two fan patch lists of Marvel 3 is making this harder to follow.

that's EX/project marvel, haha.
my dumb version doesn't have any of the huge assist changes he has b/c it's something i'm really iffy on touching despite so many chars just having the singular assist you pick

i fucked up real bad in not really letting emc know i was doing my own deal while he was showin' off project marvel so folks get 'em confused, especially 'cuz he doesn't really produce trailers or advertising for his mod beyond the giant streams he does

Firebrand air dash is bad.
Dormammu got no interesting changes.
Dark Phoenix sucks.
Shuma-Gorath still sucks.
Dark Harmonizer deleted.
Shit patch.
if you think harmonizer is bad in AE, you should see it in EX haha
as for the rest, shrug, what can ya do? making judgements based on extremely vague patchnotes and limited information has always been a pastime of mine as well so i can't really complain

if you think harmonizer is bad in AE, you should see it in EX haha
as for the rest, shrug, what can ya do? making judgements based on extremely vague patchnotes and limited information has always been a pastime of mine as well so i can't really complain

The patchnotes don't seem vague to me. Why would I want to play Dark Phoenix with ZERO speed boost in X-Factor? rofl I'm not even talking about balance. Half of the fun of the character is getting to go nuts once because you EARNED IT.

Dark Harmonizer isn't even a problem.

I watched a video of Shuma-Gorath play from this patch. He's still ass, guaranteed. I also saw the Firebrand air dash, and it just looks so out of place. In no way did he need an air dash.

Dahbomb

Got a link to the EX mod? I'd like to try out both.

http://gamebanana.com/gamefiles/5702

Why would I want to play Dark Phoenix with ZERO speed boost in X-Factor? rofl I'm not even talking about balance. Half of the fun of the character is getting to go nuts once because you EARNED IT.
She still has speed boost in XF. You probably saw the older changes.

I don't think Firebrand has that air dash anymore either.

Seyavesh

Got a link to the EX mod? I'd like to try out both.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18mw1hIoS9OcNWZy9uuLCUj6qQyxmXSvJGLpztmQvQbc/edit

i think ex is potentially way more interesting since emc isn't really afraid to break basic rules of the game and all the crazy ass assist stuff he's done but a lot of the changes he does also drive me nuts because his direction is pushing towards making everyone like zero so i'm like 'welp'

The patchnotes don't seem vague to me. Why would I want to play Dark Phoenix with ZERO speed boost in X-Factor? rofl I'm not even talking about balance. Half of the fun of the character is getting to go nuts once because you EARNED IT.
Dark Harmonizer isn't even a problem.
I watched a video of Shuma-Gorath play from this patch. He's still ass, guaranteed. I also saw the Firebrand air dash, and it just looks so out of place. In no way did he need an air dash.

oh you're actually serious, haha aight
i actually do agree on the phoenix thing but i think w/ tac infs shes a huge fuckin issue, where the whole 'earned' factor is significantly less relevant it really ought to be so i was tryin' to come up with a clever solution for that.
idk why it's taken 4 years (since TAC infs were discovered) for someone who just blow meter with her in the way ryanlv does to become a thing but i've always thought of that as the optimal strategy for her
the funny thing is, since emc figured out how to take out TAC infs but keep reg. TAC combos i've actually rolled that back to just the regular deal since that's not a factor anymore

idk how you think harmonizer isn't a problem when it's vulnerable for literally 6f and can't be punished on reaction unless you're literally next to it but different folks have different strokes.
i've seriously never heard anyone have issues w/ that change until now so i'm pretty surprised you feel that way.

as for shuma/fb, what play footage did you see? i honestly haven't seen any footage of AE outside of my own b/c i'm pretty sure nobody plays it so i'm really curious if that's another case of EX and AE getting mixed up again.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
New JoJo ASB match-vids are appearing on NicoNico so I'll start sharing some more.

Wammu VS Part 1 Dio:
http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm31538931

Wammu is a 'mode' character, which is kind of like MAX mode in KOF games. Mode 1 increases damage a bit, while making him invisible and invincible during any special move. It also changes his instant overhead special (412A) so that it crumples instead of hard knockdown. This gives him more combo damage. Mode 2 increases damage a bit more, while making him invisible all the time. He's invincible during specials, and has infinite super armor with huge defense anytime else.

Wammu is a pretty weird character. He can't mash 2L like everyone else, and his forward and back dashes are kind of 'swapped'. His forward dash is long with big recovery, while his back dash is short and recovers quick. You can almost play him like Jack from Tekken -- using his big limbs and back dash to act as sort of a wall. Having a great DP that combos into super for 30% helps as well. When he wants to go in, he has is instant overhead special, which changes distance depending on which version you use. This leads to blocksrings that go from low into an overhead cross-up mix-up.

He also has a transformation: By spending 1/2 a bar of meter, you can gauge your own eyes out and change up your moveset. He can no longer link LMH anymore, only confirm pokes into specials. In exchange he gets more damage and a new special (41236A) which is kind of like Birdy's charge in SF5. He also get access to air juggles when you roman cancel his DP.

Part 1 Dio is a pretty notorious character. He was considered the best character in the game before patches started rolling out, and remains in the top 10 today. The biggest thing is that he can cancel almost any of his moves into super-jump at any time, even on whiff. While in the air, he has access to a LMH chain which overpowers other characters' air-to-airs. Heach hit in this change delays the descent and changes forward momentum. This leads to crazy mix-ups within mix-ups during his rekka chain and on okizeme. He also has an ice attack where you have to guess low or mid that leads into a combo, which can also be canceled into super jump. He has a counter move that also gives full combo. He has a screen filling eye laser super that acts like Paul's deathfist (30% gone if counterhit). Basically, think of pre-patch Tanya in MKX, if she had a counter that gives full combo, and an eye laser deathfist. Oh, and being a vampire, Dio can end combos by stealing a chunk of health or meter and add it to his own.

The EX changes are way better than that Arcade version. Shuma-Gorath might actually be playable.

I have no idea why these people all want to delete Dark Phoenix, though. I would never play a patch where one of the most intense characters of all time gets deleted.

oh you're actually serious, haha aight
i actually do agree on the phoenix thing but i think w/ tac infs shes a huge fuckin issue, where the whole 'earned' factor is significantly less relevant it really ought to be.
idk why it's taken 4 years (since TAC infs were discovered) for someone who just blow meter with her in the way ryanlv does to become a thing but i've always thought of that as the optimal strategy for her
the funny thing is, since emc figured out how to take out TAC infs but keep reg. TAC combos i've actually rolled that back to just the regular deal since that's not a factor anymore

idk how you think harmonizer isn't a problem when it's vulnerable for literally 6f and can't be punished on reaction unless you're literally next to it but different folks have different strokes.
i've seriously never heard anyone have issues w/ that change until now so i'm pretty surprised you feel that way.

as for shuma/fb, what play footage did you see? i honestly haven't seen any footage of AE outside of my own b/c i'm pretty sure nobody plays it so i'm really curious if that's another case of EX and AE getting mixed up again.
Dahbomb linked me some play footage a bit ago, I think. Just YouTube stuff. It had the Firebrand air dash, which EX doesn't have, so I assume it's AE.

Aren't TAC infinites removed in these patches? lol

Dark Harmonizer should be really hard to punish because you are sacrificing presence in the neutral for that meter game. There are only a handful of characters that can even attempt to survive in Marvel without neutral assist support. Plus, deleting it means Morrigan now has zero decent assist options - why the hell is that desirable? Her assists are so bad they had to create a new move for her. You punish someone using Dark Harmonizer by killing their point character since it's effectively 2v1 in the neutral. If you've ever used Dark Harmonizer as your main assist, you know it's extremely stressful, and you're playing a completely different game from everyone else - it's like playing an anchor character without X-Factor.

If you want to, though, you can punish Dark Harmonizer like you can punish Vajra assist - look for the indicator up top. Don't look for Morrigan to come down. It's something that the Marvel community could punish if they took the time to practice it, but I don't think anyone finds it worthwhile.

I wouldn't play AE or EX based on these patch notes, but EX made a better attempt at making healthy changes to the characters I like and play.

RIP nws. will be missed

WXli96Q.gif

Gotta quote this for Face now. Now who's gonna troll casuals in gaming threads for being bad at fighting games and having bad opinions

Dahbomb

It was from EX but it was an older build. These patches keep changing rapidly so you can't really trust what you saw even a week ago.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
FGH Gaffers go in too hard. You gotta play the spacing game.
Basically. Not to throw salt into a wound and all, but if you've been even reading GAF longer than a few months you should know how subjective modding can get (or have read mods say straight that up).

That last post by notworksafe though? Encouraging suicide? Yeah that's pretty cut and dry in perm territory. Wouldn't be the first FGC-GAFer to get permed for that, either, although I forget the name ATM.

Dahbomb

Watching that EVO video I posted...

I can't believe we had a moment at EVO top 8 where a Deadpool killed himself from the teleport at a crucial junction of the match...

We always thought that could happen but to happen at that time... LMAO!

I can't believe we had a moment at EVO top 8 where a Deadpool killed himself from the teleport at a crucial junction of the match...

Mike Ross did that once too, I think at the first MvC3 evo

I liked the video. Good memories there.

Seyavesh

Phoenix adds a lot more interesting strategy to a match than any other character. I like her the way she is.
see, i feel that way too! she fundamentally changes the flow of the match in really unique and interesting ways but with TAC infinites the skew towards getting her win condition is just good enough to match up w/ the really huge fuckhead chars while also strangling most of the bad chars.
i think emc just wanted to do a regular jean character from the start so i don't think there's a deeper reason for that though. i really can't recall if he actually hates DP either but considering he plays with fchamp quite a bit i'd assume he probably doesn't?
or maybe that's more of a reason to hate her, haha

since all the marvellers are suddenly pouring out the woodworks am i finally gonna get a chance to fight any of yall on PC?? i've always been curious about the skill level of the posters here since i'm pretty mediocre in the grand scheme of things

Dark Harmonizer should be really hard to punish because you are sacrificing presence in the neutral for that meter game. There are only a handful of characters that can even attempt to survive in Marvel without neutral assist support. Plus, deleting it means Morrigan now has zero decent assist options - why the hell is that desirable? Her assists are so bad they had to create a new move for her. You punish someone using Dark Harmonizer by killing their point character since it's effectively 2v1 in the neutral. If you've ever used Dark Harmonizer as your main assist, you know it's extremely stressful, and you're playing a completely different game from everyone else - it's like playing an anchor character without X-Factor.

If you want to, though, you can punish Dark Harmonizer like you can punish Vajra assist - look for the indicator up top. Don't look for Morrigan to come down. It's something that the Marvel community could punish if they took the time to practice it, but I don't think anyone finds it worthwhile.

I wouldn't play AE or EX based on these patch notes, but EX made a better attempt at making healthy changes to the characters I like and play.
removing TAC infs has always been a goal but we could never figure out how the hell to do it without messing everything else up now so it's kinda just been a thing on hold until like 3 days ago. at this point emc is still wafflin' on actually doing it or not since everyone in EX has that kinda super wild factor and TAC infinites end up creating a lot of viability for the chars who were touched less and some non-phoenix meter-specific gameplans (x23 funzone especially)

in regards to harmonizer punishing, it's not really that looking out for the indicator being an issue but rather the way it can be called- because it's vulnerable for such a short period of time it's not too hard to implement as a low-risk call into basic gameplans. honestly you really don't have to look out for the indicator as you can seriously just see her jump out and do stuff to hit her if the field is clear. it's just that in matches it's unlikely you're going to be in a position to do that if they're competent which is what makes the assist so strong in the first place.
the vajra comparison is a pretty good one in terms of that timing aspect as you have that limited time to see him jump out and then fuck him up when he comes to you based on that but there's a fundamental difference in function and punishment as vajra places strider in a vulnerable spot directly at the opponent and requires the point char to otherwise cover them or try to take advantage of that offensively rather than as something that generates resources which otherwise requires the opponent to actively go after it (pre-emptively at times, if you're fighting anyone competently playing knockoffs of ryanlv's shit).
as for morrigan's other assists not being good... idk if i can agree with that. soul fist definitely sucks ass (even though terry b. continues to use it for some insane reason) but shadow blade has one absurdly good aspect to it in it's alpha counter that makes it pretty usable, especially w/ the weird mid-combo functionality that it ends up giving to both zero and vergil. the big limiting factor is just that harmonizer otherwise provides way more general functionality to way more teams because of how specific shadowblade's usage is.

seriously fuuuuck alpha counter shadowblade, she gets kill combos off that shit! it's so frustrating pinning down zero finally and then getting killed off an AC or having him just peace out because of how hard you have to bait it to actually get a real punish on it.

ultimately, despite increasing morrigan's vulnerable frames from 6 to 12 (ex had it at like 30something iirc? not really sure why it's that high) in my personal playtesting w/ pretty decent morrigan players it doesn't really change anything because of the majority of situations where she gets called anyhow. it basically only lets you punish shitty calls easier because she wasn't being covered in the first place which is how i think it should be rather than seeing her jump out on a shitty call and whiffing normals straight through her animation because you swung too early. it doesn't even change the timing on how often you can call it, haha

i just really enjoy discussin' and playin' marvel so i had to get that whole spiel out about those aspects.

as for shuma, idk how i feel about that character because so many folks say he's butt and that goes against my observations on how he's actually pretty decent for a support char (in the same vein as akuma and company). it's just that it's always looked like he's required a really 'solid' playstyle that otherwise doesn't befit his bizarre appearance. the most successful shuma players i've seen all have that ground-gamey mindset with him and it seems to often pan out pretty decently when they have to run him in shitty situations despite his numerous shortcomings.

that does reminds me though, i still need to reduce the hurtbox on mystic smash so you can't just straight up jab it/airthrow it. i keep forgetting to do that even though that's like the number one complaint i keep seeing about the char. lord knows i've shield charged the fuck out of my fair share of mystic smashes that really shouldn't have been hit at all because he was visually clear of the hitbox

anyways, experience and taste is always gonna be a thing when it comes to this kinda stuff so i can't blame ya if you dislike the changes, especially w/ chars you've been playing for so long. i can only hope folks give either one of the mods a chance 'cuz feedback from experience is always something i enjoy getting because i'm curious how everything ends up coming together as a whole since the only experience i've got to work off of is my own playtesting w/ my local scene.

seriously, dualkevin's matches last year were heartbreakers. he was playing so poorly in comparison to the day before where he was on fire! with the level of play he was at on the day before i figured he would've been a shoe-in for top 3, but alas. even with that cold play he still got fourth though so i guess i can't complain too much

I won't quote you since it's so much text, but my response:
If Dark Harmonizer is relatively the same in practice, then that's not so bad. I've never had the Shadow Blade alpha counter experience. It's funny how those are basically a non-factor in Marvel. You'd think they would have touched them up in Ultimate.

Shuma-Gorath's assist is fine. But as a point character he might as well die when he comes in unless you have meter for a Dark Dimension. He's just awful in every way.

I don't have Marvel 3 on PC, so I won't be playing either patch. If it really took off in the community I would get into it, but I just don't have the time to fool around in a mod project.

Top Bottom