• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | 4/20-26 | Beowulf Wrasslin', Mewtwo Smashin', Netkode Krashin

smurfx

get some go again
God damn is Capcom slow at patching.

It's been almost a god damn year since Omega mode came out and now they took out the infinites.

So that means another 6 months until they fix the audio bug?
sorry that will be patched in super ultra street fighter 4.

shaowebb

Callin' it now. Flame Fist Liu Kang is going to be at the top of the tier charts in MKX.
  • 5 frame jab that leads into 33%+ combos
  • almost ALL his strings leave him neutral on block or so slightly negative that his jab will beat out punishes and lead into said combos
  • great poke range
  • a counter that beats out teleports
  • chip damage that rivals that of trident rush
  • an enormous amount of forward progressing strings for corner carry
  • fat damage for low effort
  • good projectiles
  • great pokes including low pokes
  • some of the best armored moves for waking up or punching forward through things
  • Good Xray damage and great range/duration on his xray move

zlatko

Banned
I'm going to be full honest:

I love MKX. Game just feels like it has a great level of depth, and a fantastic cast. I love watching it already from better players than myself.

Takeda is also the FIRST and ONLY character that I feel is quick/nimble/agile that I have had success with in any fighting game. I usually am stuck with bigger slower guys to cover my mistakes to make comebacks. (Potemkin, Abel, etc)

I hope NR patches the netcode and supports the game well after release to tide me over until SF5 next year.

shaowebb

I'm going to be full honest:

I love MKX. Game just feels like it has a great level of depth, and a fantastic cast. I love watching it already from better players than myself.

Takeda is also the FIRST and ONLY character that I feel is quick/nimble/agile that I have had success with in any fighting game. I usually am stuck with bigger slower guys to cover my mistakes to make comebacks. (Potemkin, Abel, etc)

I hope NR patches the netcode and supports the game well after release to tide me over until SF5 next year.

For what its worth ANOTHER patch is coming tomorrow for PC. That'll be 3 since launch. They are trying to support this game heavily. PC launched pretty rough though so it might be getting the lions share for a bit.

AAK

I'm loving MKX too. But I know none of the people in my community will stick with it and the online is beyond help. I'd love to keep playing but I will have to drop it if I can't play offline.

shaowebb

I'm loving MKX too. But I know none of the people in my community will stick with it and the online is beyond help. I'd love to keep playing but I will have to drop it if I can't play offline.

Can you start up your own local scene for it? There is a community section on Test Your Might and it helped me find folks near me to hookup with for locals.

zlatko

Banned

I wouldn't say beyond help. It's far from great, but there is definitely worse.

I'm fortunate enough that I can only remember 1 laggy as hell match that was unplayable in the hundred some I've played, and the rest I can do my Takeda combos in thankfully. I know I'm not the majority though.

Also, watching SonicFox now is like...wow. His Erron B just looks so damn broken in his hands lmao. Too sick.

shaowebb

I'm fortunate enough that I can only remember 1 laggy as hell match that was unplayable in the hundred some I've played, and the rest I can do my Takeda combos in thankfully. I know I'm not the majority though.

Also, watching SonicFox now is like...wow. His Erron B just looks so damn broken in his hands lmao. Too sick.

Sonicfox in general is good enough to just make folks look sick. He has a pressure style of play that trains you to make the action he wants. Its why his high risk high reward style works for him. A lot of stuff is punishable on block but he makes it look so good because he trains his opponent to make the wrong action just to land that stuff. Really fast thinker and adapts well to his opponents. He's gonna go far.

AAK

Can you start up your own local scene for it? There is a community section on Test Your Might and it helped me find folks near me to hookup with for locals.

There was a dedicated scene initially for MK9 but they all disappeared within a year of its release.

But yeah, I suppose I will have a look @ TYM.

Online is unplayable. The split second reactions you'll need in so many corner situations are not possible to handle with this netcode.

Sure it may be good enough to dick around, but to learn and enjoy the game in a pure form... it's unplayable.

alstein

It's easier to get good matches in Skullgirls these days than MK.

zlatko

Banned
Callin' it now. Flame Fist Liu Kang is going to be at the top of the tier charts in MKX.
  • almost ALL his strings leave him neutral on block or so slightly negative that his jab will beat out punishes and lead into said combos
  • great poke range
  • good projectiles
  • some of the best armored moves for waking up or punching forward through things

I am going to mess around with this variation on Friday. I gave Liu no love in the 90% of the cast I did play with. I like this list of things a lot...

Have you messed with Sonya? I messed with her, but I wasn't sure the best way to play her. Even without that though I can tell she's being slept on by everyone heavily. She has a TON going for her, and I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up being a top tier character once someone fleshes her out.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
https://twitter.com/ceojebailey/status/590527178808360960
@CEOJebailey: So I just got an email from a CNN News Anchor who has a son that plays Smash 4. He wants to bring him & do coverage of #CEO2015. Day Made!​

Pretty cool for Jebailey and CEO.

Wow, first popeye's 10% discount then CNN doing coverage of CEO? What more can happen?!

6glq0oc.jpg

I hope this was your idea, Shouta.

popcorn.gif

Art said he was trying to get some SF players to play but they're like LOL.

thats basically every SF player I know, besides most of them are gonna drop the game unless money is involved. i would love to see the community grow though.

Dahbomb

Trish also got Chun Li's EX SBK. Hard to get a good image of it though because of crap quality and they are playing on LDK mode.

• great poke range
  • good projectiles

Yea I agree he has some pretty cool stuff. Have you also tried dualist variation? Did you notice how ridiculously fast he can put out those dark orbs? If you're familiar with doing flight cancelled soul fists on alternate inputs I think people can just fill the area with orbs. As someone posted before, they can get 70%+ just juggling with the orbs, though you need to charge beforehand, which isn't too bad because the charge is fast and lasts a while.

Liu Kang has some strong zoning in all variations. In Flame fist iirc, his fireballs are 10-11 frame startup, and in dragon fire his low one has 7 frame startup. I think it makes someone like Kenshi look lame as a zoner, since you can duck his fullscreen projection on balanced.

• great poke range
  • good projectiles

I only play Ferra/Torr, Kano and Sonya right now but I do agree that Liu Kang is looking mighty fine. Flame Fist is the variation I like the most from him. Windmill Punch is a tremendous move.

K.Sabot

Holy shit that art donation lol

something like "hey art, nice erron black but why are you playing against cpu opponents. would love to see your takeda you've been training up soon"

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161073448]Im in the studio.twitch endless channel right now but it looks like i just missed it :([/QUOTE]

Your name showed up on stream for a brief 5 seconds.

Top Bottom