• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | 4/20-26 | Beowulf Wrasslin', Mewtwo Smashin', Netkode Krashin

zlatko

Banned
My sides hurt, my cheeks hurt, from laughing so hard at stream monster comments for donations on Art's stream right now.

The threeway joke. The lightbulb joke. Wow.

NEO0MJ

CAPCOM IN A NUTSHELL.

balancing is currently fine IMO..dj tho
feedme.png

Just imagine Omega mode is a true update for SF IV and play DJ there.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
whats that tournament art was talking about on stream? is it happening in new jersey? i need more info lol, decided to not look at the stream for a bit when it happened.

Edit:

Found it, its The CommonWealth being hosted in Virginia.

Anne

Nice article Anne. It could have gone a bit more into why ogawa is actually a monster without relying so much on videos that most may not watch, but seeing this kind of article is nice. :)

Thanks. I'm trying to find the balance between easy to see and understand vs more in depth. I'm still super new to this and this type of content isn't really much of a thing, so Idk. I figure most of the videos speak for themselves, but looking at it ended up a bit too loaded and less wordy. With Ogawa though, I wanted to show the exact reasons why he's nuts, and give the people interested enough content to see him doing nuts shit. In the future I think I'll work on explaining more gameplay stuff.

I really just want to have like, interesting stuff about the game and players, over generic news stuff. I'm still going to do generic news stuff sometimes cause ya know, it's stuff to get out there, but I wanna make the kinds of things I wanna see. I also want to get the kind of things out there for anime though, because it helps for the viewers. People get to see Marvel guys all the time since they're homegrown and on major streams, but for anime on side streams or out of the country, it gets rough :/

If just a few people open up the NWM stream and go "oh, that's that Ogawa guy killing everybody," I'll be happy. Gives them something interesting to follow and maybe see more into it. I'm prolly gonna do more stuff like this in the future, then have some gameplay focused stuff as well. I feel like basically every FG site has been just kind of throw up new glitch vid, CMV, news blip, results etc. without anything super meaty in between. Once I get more used to this I'm def going to have more to put out there.

Thomasorus should give you some pointers.

I'm not opposed. Like I said, I'm really new to this. I do a lot of academic writing, but writing for this kind of audience is way different and I don't wanna just bust out of whatever the mold here is. (I'm actually happy I haven't just been completely thrashed so far lol)

Spuck-uk

Banned
Callin' it now. Flame Fist Liu Kang is going to be at the top of the tier charts in MKX.
  • 5 frame jab that leads into 33%+ combos
  • almost ALL his strings leave him neutral on block or so slightly negative that his jab will beat out punishes and lead into said combos
  • great poke range
  • a counter that beats out teleports
  • chip damage that rivals that of trident rush
  • an enormous amount of forward progressing strings for corner carry
  • fat damage for low effort
  • good projectiles
  • great pokes including low pokes
  • some of the best armored moves for waking up or punching forward through things
  • Good Xray damage and great range/duration on his xray move

Whats his BNB flame fist combos like, much in the way of run cancels?

Sayad

Does Dogura even play Xrd? Not that he'd need to in order to win in the US, but still. I've seen him play online a few times, but it was mainly him hosting the stream and someone else playing.

Horseress

It was 4/20 yesterday so it was a good time for Aris, known for being very anti marijuana, to spread his cause. Of course.

kappa

Totally forgot Monday was 4/20 :lol

BTW, I'm willing to spend some good money on a arcade stick, but I want one that works on PS3/PS4/PC, is there any like that out there?

NEO0MJ

Does Dogura even play Xrd? Not that he'd need to in order to win in the US, but still. I've seen him play online a few times, but it was mainly him hosting the stream and someone else playing.

I'm sure I saw him play before, unless I was mistaking him for another player.

I'm not opposed. Like I said, I'm really new to this. I do a lot of academic writing, but writing for this kind of audience is way different and I don't wanna just bust out of whatever the mold here is. (I'm actually happy I haven't just been completely thrashed so far lol)

Maybe you should consider more points when writing about a player. For example you talk about Eddie but do you think Eddie is such an easy to understand character? Do all players knows him? I don't think so since he has his own mechanic.
Maybe you can start by saying "So it's ogawa" and focus a bit on mechanics by reminding people how eddie plays with the negative edge stuff. Ogawa is basically thinking like Eddie, he mastered every possibility and it's like his playing piano.
Then you can focus on other fundamental things to watch so your readers will know what to monitor when Ogawa plays. For example many Eddie players lacks the zoning capabilities needed with the character. The fact that you need to protect the shadow with drills is an important part and Ogawa is a monster at this and the viewers can really enjoy seeing this on stream.

Putting video is interesting but when you see Ogawa with Eddie, you may just see a guy crushing other guys and that's all. You don't know what is impressive, what is interesting, there's just OCV enjoyment but not a good understanding.

My 2 cents, good luck on the other articles!

Sigmaah

If anyone tryna play mkx on ps4 hit jurrboi up. Psn is Sigmaah1017.

I feel like Kano is OD too. Cutthroat Kano that is, straight pressure monster.

Totally forgot Monday was 4/20 :lol

BTW, I'm willing to spend some good money on a arcade stick, but I want one that works on PS3/PS4/PC, is there any like that out there?

I have a madcatz TE2 and it covers those 3. There is a toggle for ps3 and ps4. My shipment did have some moisture under the plexi though and others had this issue because they ship via boat but I just took it off and wiped it down. Dunno if they remedied that shipment problem with the new batches.

Horseress

I have a madcatz TE2 and it covers those 3. There is a toggle for ps3 and ps4. My shipment did have some moisture under the plexi though and others had this issue because they ship via boat but I just took it off and wiped it down. Dunno if they remedied that shipment problem with the new batches.

Nice! Where did you buy it? Trying to find the cheapest place. SolarisJapan has some good prices, but I've never heard anyone saying they bought something there

Reading old Ultra change request threads - and this is on SRK, not Crapcom Whine-ity, mind you - is self torture. People you'd imagine are knowledgeable ask for the silliest bullshit imaginable. Most of the requests are easily proved silly and/or completely insane by copy-pasting frame data. Damn it was a madhouse.

Anyone want Evil Roo with 6f cr.mk, 70 damage fireballs? How 'bout Oni with 8 frames less fireball recovery (he has 2 more than Ryu atm)?

Reading old Ultra change request threads - and this is on SRK, not Crapcom Whine-ity, mind you - is self torture. People you'd imagine are knowledgeable ask for the silliest bullshit imaginable. Most of the requests are easily proved silly and/or completely insane by copy-pasting frame data. Damn it was a madhouse.

Anyone want Evil Roo with 6f cr.mk, 70 damage fireballs? How 'bout Oni with 8 frames less fireball recovery (he has 2 more than Ryu atm)?
That all sounds good to me.

People ask for the dumbest stuff in balance changes. When the Smash patch was released, I actually saw someone demand buffs for Rosalina. I have to wonder how terrible these people are at the game when they want their S tier character to get buffs. Then someone complained that Bowser got buffs that didn't actually happen.

Now that would be a change lol

He'd have about equal/less recovery than Sagat High TS if that happened

Yeah total frame count 39, which is Gouken territory. Except he'd have 13f startup (Gouken has, what, 16-17) and an actual EX ball. And faster hold down charge time too.

But yeah, people just don't think, let alone fact-check and just pull stuff out of their ass. It's painful to watch.

mbpm1

I don't think it would make him broken, but with his normals and options he'd be Poison-lite. Which nobody wants.

Better even, he'd have good AA buttons.

Mr. X

Thanks. I'm trying to find the balance between easy to see and understand vs more in depth. I'm still super new to this and this type of content isn't really much of a thing, so Idk. I figure most of the videos speak for themselves, but looking at it ended up a bit too loaded and less wordy. With Ogawa though, I wanted to show the exact reasons why he's nuts, and give the people interested enough content to see him doing nuts shit. In the future I think I'll work on explaining more gameplay stuff.

I really just want to have like, interesting stuff about the game and players, over generic news stuff. I'm still going to do generic news stuff sometimes cause ya know, it's stuff to get out there, but I wanna make the kinds of things I wanna see. I also want to get the kind of things out there for anime though, because it helps for the viewers. People get to see Marvel guys all the time since they're homegrown and on major streams, but for anime on side streams or out of the country, it gets rough :/

If just a few people open up the NWM stream and go "oh, that's that Ogawa guy killing everybody," I'll be happy. Gives them something interesting to follow and maybe see more into it. I'm prolly gonna do more stuff like this in the future, then have some gameplay focused stuff as well. I feel like basically every FG site has been just kind of throw up new glitch vid, CMV, news blip, results etc. without anything super meaty in between. Once I get more used to this I'm def going to have more to put out there.

Honestly, I think just one brief paragraph describing Eddie/Ogawa overwhelming style is all you should add to what is there. The way he plays Eddie is like an extension of himself, a virtuoso of the character.

There is no mold here, trail blazer. I try to think of wrestling or UFC and how they would talk or hype up the superstar. You already did the highlight reel of past footage.

Kikirin

Hey, I wrote a thing about who Ogawa is and the fact he's coming to kill us all

If you're into GG you should check him out and watch NWM this weekend.

Good stuff. I enjoy these sorts of pieces much more than the news bits, videos, and event results that usually get posted. Don't have anything else to add that hasn't already been said already, and agree that a brief paragraph about Eddie/Ogawa style would definitely strengthen the article for people not already in the know.

Horseress

Arturo Sanchez @nycfurby
While I had 5k viewers on my stream for MKX last night (thx @JWonggg) I asked how many ppl were here 4 1st time, or knew of Spooky.

Arturo Sanchez @nycfurby
A LARGE number of people said they were in here for the first time. And they had no idea of Spooky's stream OR NLBC. The growth is real

MK X bringing people to the community! Also, it'll be @ NLBC tonight

Top Bottom