• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | 4/20-26 | Beowulf Wrasslin', Mewtwo Smashin', Netkode Krashin

They enjoy the scene, the community, the drama, the emotions, the things that surround it.

Well, that's what was sold to people in an attempt to grow the community at all costs. Little emphasis over the years on why playing the games is interesting since that's a hard sell, much more on what you described. Those people get everything they wanted from fighting games before getting to the part where they need to invest anything, so they don't have a reason to.

The FGC to them is basically WinRar's free trial.

You have a reputation...
I know, I am just surprised it extended this far.

Unless this is about something else,then I don't know.
Well, that's what was sold to people in an attempt to grow the community at all costs. Little emphasis over the years on why playing the games is interesting since that's a hard sell, much more on what you described. Those people get everything they wanted from fighting games before getting to the part where they need to invest anything, so they don't have a reason to.
Its kind of hard to enjoy watching games I don't play because I can't understand most of what's going on. So yeah only the really ridiculous crazy yelling and hype makes it across.

I don't think this lack of competitiveness is necessarily an issue with the size of the player base either; North American esports players have the same problem in just about every game, even if they're playing League and there are millions of players in the region. I don't know if it's a mentality thing or if other countries have more developed infrastructure to support the improvement of talented players, but generally NA is a step behind EU or Asia in just about every competitive game.

Infinite

I don't think this lack of competitiveness is necessarily an issue with the size of the player base either; North American esports players have the same problem in just about every game, even if they're playing League and there are millions of players in the region. I don't know if it's a mentality thing or if other countries have more developed infrastructure to support the improvement of talented players, but generally NA is a step behind EU or Asia in just about every competitive game.

Definitely culture plays a role.

NEO0MJ

but generally NA is a step behind EU or Asia in just about every competitive game.

I feel that most good US players gave up on SF IV and other Japanese games and focus on american made/targeted games such as MK and MvC3 where they had better odds of winning.

sikvod00

Banned
While that may be true for some, it's also just as possible that they legitimately enjoy non-SF games more. Easier to get better at games you love.
Excluding Rog and Marvel.

EDIT: Not sure if this was already posted. USFIV Netcode Improvements for Steam Live Now
I have no idea if it's an actual improvement for most (never play USF4 PC online), but hopefully NRS will do the same too.

Kalamari

KK, will do. :D

EDIT: I will have good sake / wine / scotch / rum if that would aid in your conversation with Dogura and Ogawa. Also, it's legit if I use some of those things to grease the wheels with Art, right? :D

Hey, I thought you were just a waterboy.

joe2187

Banned
While that may be true for some, it's also just as possible that they legitimately enjoy non-SF games more. Easier to get better at games you love.
Excluding Rog and Marvel.

EDIT: Not sure if this was already posted. USFIV Netcode Improvements for Steam Live Now
I have no idea if it's an actual improvement for most (never play USF4 PC online), but hopefully NRS will do the same too.

Had great lag free matches this morning with an overseas player seems to have been very much improved.

Zissou

I think people practice combos and setups because they know how to do it. How do you even "practice reads" if you aren't aware of such a thing? I've seen plenty of people that just aren't aware of the concept of habits, and if you're insulated you won't change that.

I also wonder re: anime FGC - is the limitation on growth due to the games, or the update/release policies? I know that getting games 6 months to a year later turns me off from them from a competitive aspect. I want to figure stuff out on my own, not just search for videos of what I should be doing.

This is really huge for me- perpetually missing out on being able to discover things and innovate is a big motivation killer.

I feel that most good US players gave up on SF IV and other Japanese games and focus on american made/targeted games such as MK and MvC3 where they had better odds of winning.

Going where the money is is probably only a smart decision for maybe dozen people good enough to have a chance at getting the money. How many players can we name that have picked up new games to attempt to win money and succeeded? Justin does it, but who else?

Kimosabae

Banned
Juicebox, when I stated "I don't see the problem" I was referring to toddhunter's post regarding Akuma's Ultra 2, not yours.

Finally got GC adapter for my Wii U. Guess it's finally time to give the game a more legitimate shot.

How's Mario and Mega Man so far? Also, has anything significant come about in regards to movement?

Kumubou

Going where the money is is probably only a smart decision for maybe dozen people good enough to have a chance at getting the money. How many players can we name that have picked up new games to attempt to win money and succeeded? Justin does it, but who else?
The only players that come to mind are players like Tokido (lolol remember when he won a MvC3 major in the US??? :V ) and Fuudo (two time national champion for Gunslinger Stratos and a Kaidan-rank Beatmania IIDX player). So basically you just need to be freakishly talented for that to work. :p

Isn't there supposed to be some SF5 news soon? I want to see more of the game.
Chogaiki is this weekend and should have the first playable demo of the game, which makes me think either the game is further along than we think or it's going to be a shitshow (or both).

I just finished watching Contact, and after all the tears stopped flowing I started to wonder why there aren't more space alien or astronaut-type fighting game characters.

Mars People isn't good enough!

smurfx

get some go again
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161348593]I just finished watching Contact, and after all the tears stopped flowing I started to wonder why there aren't more space alien or astronaut-type fighting game characters.

Mars People isn't good enough![/QUOTE]was it your first time watching it? i love that movie.

TheChits

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161348593]I just finished watching Contact, and after all the tears stopped flowing I started to wonder why there aren't more space alien or astronaut-type fighting game characters.

Mars People isn't good enough![/QUOTE]

Love love love that film. Highly recommend reading the book as well!

Love love love that film. Highly recommend reading the book as well!

Nah, I don't like reading the book after seeing a movie. Holding on to the visual really keeps the story resonating with me Thanks, though. I heard the solaris movie kind of sucked so I'll probably read the book once I'm done with American Gods.

jerry1594

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161325139]Speaking of competition, where's Markman at? I need him to tell his boy FilthieRich that I'm offering Jojo's lessons now.[/QUOTE]
Yo is this the cps3 game?

Zissou

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161348896]Yeah, and I'm a sucker for anything spacey. Even American Beauty.

I'm the sort of person that starts to have trouble keeping it together just looking at the moon too long.[/QUOTE]

I see what you did there...
...you sure you don't mean k-pax tho?

mbpm1

After dat Juicebox video for the first time I once again realize that I, in fact, know nothing.

Man, I suck. But by applying just the basic principles I was able to beat someone I haven't been able to beat...ever, I think. At least, not convincingly on the ground game. Sweet. Long road ahead, but sweet.

I see what you did there...
...you sure you don't mean k-pax tho?

KPAX DA GOD

Just thinking about that movie makes me nostalgic.

I love space though, should check out Contact for sure, been long overdue.

Zissou

Space-based sci-fi is the best- the hard/grounded stuff is especially fucking awesome. If ya'll haven't read it, this is a god tier space comic! It's a pretty underused theme when it comes to fighters, unfortunately. There's Star Gladiator, Cyberbots (kinda), annnnnd....?

mbpm1

Space-based sci-fi is the best- the hard/grounded stuff is especially fucking awesome. If ya'll haven't read it, this is a god tier space comic! It's a pretty underused theme when it comes to fighters, unfortunately. There's Star Gladiator, Cyberbots (kinda), annnnnd....?

Whoaaa that looks pretty nice.

I just wish more movies of space were made. Interstellar satisfied my fix for a bit but still

They should just make a street fighter character that's basically The Fury from MGS3. Just some deranged dude in a cosmonaut suit.

With a space-themed moveset.

I don't know what that means.

Zissou

Whoaaa that looks pretty nice.

I just wish more movies of space were made. Interstellar satisfied my fix for a bit but still

Yeah- 2001 Nights is really great. It's only 3 volumes but each volume contains a number of short stories. All the stories take place in the same universe (starting in the near future with humans truly establishing a more permanent presence in space and progressing further and further over the course of the books). Each short story is also it's own thing though- some are about the what it means to be human, while others are more like Apollo 13 "how the fuck is this guy going to survive this disastrous situation?!" high tension stuff. I can't recommend it enough.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
What the hell has happened in these past few pages? I'm studying my ass off and barely have any time to be on GAF ;_;

That's a thing I like about marvel- there is always a chance you run into something you haven't seen before and you are forced to adapt on the fly. It's happened to me a couple times (getting blown up by Haggar with log trap assist haunts me to this day o_O).

Side note: I keep hoping the era of Doom subsides a little because I've always believed he's the second best assist for a bunch of the cast, but everybody picked him because they were too lazy to learn the more optimal team. Nova/Spencer/Doom is straight up inferior to team Nemo but people still run it. A guy here used to run Nova/Doom/Vergil, but recently swapped Doom for Strange on that team and I think it's quite possibly a better team. Unibeam is a great assist, but people are too lazy to learn Iron Meng, etc. etc.

Its people copying the pros and not trying to find something within the characters that they identify with. My team is rarely seen period, only two players I've seen rock my team are Clegg Madness and Y2J, other than that I might as well be the third person lol

Zissou

What the hell has happened in these past few pages? I'm studying my ass off and barely have any time to be on GAF ;_;

Its people copying the pros and not trying to find something within the characters that they identify with. My team is rarely seen period, only two players I've seen rock my team are Clegg Madness and Y2J, other than that I might as well be the third person lol

Yeah- I think from the beginning people assumed the marvel 2 mold would apply 100% to marvel 3 (people assumed it would boil down to a very small number of viable teams), so people were too quick to abandon non 'standard' teams. For me personally, it's actually nice that I rarely/never see someone play my exact team- it feels like I have some ownership of it. It also means I get to be a real innovator with my team as well, since only some tiny number of people are actively searching for tech with my exact team. It also means when some particular match-up is kicking my ass, I'm forced to look for solutions myself, rather than rely on others to find them for me.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yeah- I think from the beginning people assumed the marvel 2 mold would apply 100% to marvel 3 (people assumed it would boil down to a very small number of viable teams), so people were too quick to abandon non 'standard' teams. For me personally, it's actually nice that I rarely/never see someone play my exact team- it feels like I have some ownership of it. It also means I get to be a real innovator with my team as well, since only some tiny number of people are actively searching for tech with my exact team. It also means when some particular match-up is kicking my ass, I'm forced to look for solutions myself, rather than rely on others to find them for me.

Exactly, luckily though I have Justin Wong to look up videos for with the Wolvie/Akuma shenanigans lol. I had Knives for Spencer/Akuma, although most of the stuff I do, I came up with on my own since no one played those two together. Wolverine and Spencer are kinda hard to work together if they are on their own so I switch the order and put Spencer on point and try to have a ghetto tatsu with wolvie's berserker barrage lol

You didn't ask us a couple of months ago. I might have been open to it then. :p

Yo hook me up, I'll reach top 8 and make your money worth it.

Shouta

Exactly, luckily though I have Justin Wong to look up videos for with the Wolvie/Akuma shenanigans lol. I had Knives for Spencer/Akuma, although most of the stuff I do, I came up with on my own since no one played those two together. Wolverine and Spencer are kinda hard to work together if they are on their own so I switch the order and put Spencer on point and try to have a ghetto tatsu with wolvie's berserker barrage lol

Yo hook me up, I'll reach top 8 and make your money worth it.

You mean bottom 8!

Top Bottom