• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 15-21 | That's 102%, Welcome to DCU

Dahbomb

So I take it no one likes pot-splitting here on GAF?
I personally don't care what people do with their money but I have a problem with players purposely sand bagging matches because "in the end we are getting the same money so why bother with a real match?".

This has happened 3 times in a row where the performance on display was mighty suspect. ChrisG vs Fanatiq, PRRog vs Justin and now Justin vs Chrisg. Of course the answer to this "step it up and stop this from happening" but people who do get good enough and go to multiple tournaments they also appear to fall into a similar vortex.

sleepykyo

Didn't realize that they had a bonus scaler, I thought ufgt was known for paying out a higher number of players like top 32 or something similar.

Neither did I. Keits deviated from the usual 70/20/10 division under the assumption that being able to pay out to top8 would mean a lot of players could recoup their travel costs and attend more tourneys. That would in turn drive more people to play and increase the pot.

I was fine with it at Canada Cup. But they have a precedent for it being accepted.

He has a good color sense (but then again, what Capcom artist doesn't?), but his character/profiles are so weird. Clooney face is real.
I dig it

It's like a cross between classic SNK and modern day comics. Super clean and super colorful. It'd probably be up there with the BlazBlue story aesthetically at the very least.

Also, I'll tell you who doesn't have a good color sense. Whoever the hell worked on SFxT. Jeeeesus

no one should care about pot splitting as long as both players played to their full potential.

and chris g just needs to shut his mouth already. he is making this worse than it needed to be. sounds like such a spoiled asshole.

You really think a player plays the same during what is essentially a $0 money match?

Nerves are completely different after a split.

if they can't give it their all then they probably shouldn't pot split. hopefully to's start banning people like fanatiq and chris g from tournaments.

and it's good to see their sponsor supports this kind of behavior. i won't be purchasing PDP products even if they decided to make something quality. good job candace.

smurfx

get some go again
jv5XUGCoizria.png

lol
imagine if its grand finals and chris g picks some b team and spooky just sets everybody free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yYS0ZZdsnA

are there any chumps in the audience that makes GF bets when chris g is involved?

Dahbomb

Yea player mentality is a big thing when placement (ie. EVO seeding points) and money is on the line. I think someone brought it up before that maybe a reason why we have seen a more calm and collected ChrisG in matches is because it might be related to his pot splitting actions. If the pressure is off you can play better and certainly we have seen nerves get to ChrisG in the past.

And of course back to the original argument where the top players are too busy splitting to bother coming up with anti-MorriDoom teams... the argument has merit now. I mean Justin can't seriously think his rinky ass team of Wolverine/Spencer/Frank has a chance against ChrisG's.

Malice215

Pot-splitting has been happening for so long and people can do whatever they want with their money.

The problem is that the people involved have already decided the outcome of the match outside of the actual tournament which is collusion. You're not playing 100% after you've already decide to split. You also impact the credibility of the results and the tournament.

It's just sad to see such a lack of competitiveness for Marvel at this point.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
You're really getting mileage, aren't ya?

I'm on dat executive platinum with my airline. I have over 200K in frequent flier miles and have been using them for 'funsies' the past few trips :O

Man. Also. I've been back and forth to the East Coast or EST timezone at least 6 times in the last 2 months. lol.

I personally don't care what people do with their money but I have a problem with players purposely sand bagging matches because "in the end we are getting the same money so why bother with a real match?".

This has happened 3 times in a row where the performance on display was mighty suspect. ChrisG vs Fanatiq, PRRog vs Justin and now Justin vs PRRog. Of course the answer to this "step it up and stop this from happening" but people who do get good enough and go to multiple tournaments they also appear to fall into a similar vortex.

Justin vs ChrisG

I'm on dat executive platinum with my airline. I have over 200K in frequent flier miles and have been using them for 'funsies' the past few trips :O

Man. Also. I've been back and forth to the East Coast or EST timezone at least 6 times in the last 2 months. lol.

east coast is best coast

Infinite

Yea player mentality is a big thing when placing and money is on the line. I think someone brought it up before that maybe a reason why we have seen a more calm and collected ChrisG in matches is because it might be related to his pot splitting actions. If the pressure is off you can play better and certainly we have seen nerves get to ChrisG in the past.

And of course back to the original argument where the top players are too busy splitting to bother coming up with anti-MorriDoom teams... the argument has merit now. I mean Justin can't seriously think his rinky ass team of Wolverine/Spencer/Frank has a chance against ChrisG's.

I sorta disagree. Like when you're playing to win the tournament nerves are going be a factor especially when someone can take you out if you're not up to it.

Dahbomb

I sorta disagree. Like when you're playing to win the tournament nerves are going be a factor especially when someone can take you out if you're not up to it.
Yea but if 6 out 8 people in top 8 are people you are splitting with you know the pressure is off if you don't win the tournament. And obviously nerves aren't a factor when you are playing against someone you are splitting with. It's just a weird tournament dynamic that takes away from the competitive spirit of things.

Pooh Bear ‏@SkyTree90210 3m
@NycFab @nycfurby if it wasn't for TS, AGE would have the money to sponsor wolfkrone already sucks that TO and streamer taking all the money

this has to be a troll rofl

Shouta

Damn. You might as well setup residence on the plane with how much you're traveling.

L2P

Neo Member
Justin didn't have to press random select, he could have use his "real" team...

The problem is, at the end of the day, they don't take this stuff as serious as apparently the viewers do.

Infinite

Yea but if 6 out 8 people in top 8 are people you are splitting with you know the pressure is off if you don't win the tournament. And obviously nerves aren't a factor when you are playing against someone you are splitting with. It's just a weird tournament dynamic that takes away from the competitive spirit of things.

Touche

The problem is, at the end of the day, they don't take this stuff as serious as apparently the viewers do.

Which is fine until everybody else involved takes the same attitude. Then you don't have a texas showdown, you have people meeting up for casuals at somebodies house.

fader

This has happened 3 times in a row where the performance on display was mighty suspect. ChrisG vs Fanatiq, PRRog vs Justin and now Justin vs Chrisg. Of course the answer to this "step it up and stop this from happening" but people who do get good enough and go to multiple tournaments they also appear to fall into a similar vortex.

Thats exactly what I have a problem with... But splitting the pot puts that thought in their head.

L2P

Neo Member
Which is fine until everybody else involved takes the same attitude. Then you don't have a texas showdown, you have people meeting up for casuals at somebodies house.

thats not the problem.. the problem is those guys cant BEAT Justin or Chris..

Shouta

They should be then. As many have said already, the more legit FGs become, the better chances of getting sponsors to inject assets into the scene. When that happens, top players can earn real money. Assuming that's the point of them playing for a living. If they're playing for pride then there's no reason to sandbag it at all.

If you're not there to earn money or to take pride and enjoy the games you're playing, then why be a pro player at all?

Dahbomb

If anything TOs and sponsors (plus the commentators) take this stuff more seriously than the viewers because they have more invested in the events. The commentary of UltraDavid was the bottom line, he spent hours commenting matches and when the main event came it was not worth the oxygen required to commentate it.

fader

They should be then. As many have said already, the more legit FGs become, the better chances of getting sponsors to inject assets into the scene. When that happens, top players can earn real money. Assuming that's the point of them playing for a living. If they're playing for pride then there's no reason to sandbag it at all.

If you're not there to earn money or to take pride and enjoy the games you're playing, then why be a pro player at all?

You took the words right out of my mouth....

People want to put money in something that makes them money. If Players are sandbagging these tournaments, it makes the viewers not care about what their seeing and can be a detriment to the view and sales.

If last night was a indicator of how players will act towards money, why should sponsors put more money in this scene?

EVO is all that matters to Chris, Justin and the rest of the pros. It has prestige and actual bragging rights.

Lando even said Texas wasn't a major.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

So Chris G is complaining that he doesn't get a lot of money from these tournaments to support himself while not taking it seriously?

He's even dumber than I thought

L2P

Neo Member
They should be then. .....?

If anything TOs and sponsors .....

I hear what you guys are saying.. i know it is hard to believe, but many of these "top players" do not care about the sponsors, tournaments, money, organizers, commentators, stream monsters.. Its not about the money or the pride, sometimes it is just about old fashion fun and games.

Im not saying i agree with what was done.. but it doesn't bother me. This wouldn't happen when it matters. For example at EVO or SBO. My opinion, that's the only time players are in "tryhard" mode. Contrary to popular belief, these guys don't care about your majors. Also, Texas Showdown was not considered important to anyone except maybe the Texas scene.

but im just dumb ass lando, what do i know

I hear what you guys are saying.. i know it is hard to believe, but many of these "top players" do not care about the sponsors, tournaments, money, organizers, commentators, stream monsters.. Its not about the money or the pride, sometimes it is just about old fashion fun and games.

Im not saying i agree with what was done.. but it doesn't bother me. This wouldn't happen when it matters. For example at EVO or SBO. My opinion, that's the only time players are in "tryhard" mode. Contrary to popular belief, these guys don't care about your majors. Also, Texas Showdown was not considered important to anyone except maybe the Texas scene.

Been up to any shenanigans lately Lando.

L2P

Neo Member
and just so you know.. when they split, they are usually actually trying to win. it has just been recent that they are like completely not even trying. Which does surprise me.

and to the guy that said Chris G complains about not getting money. Dude, he wins every tournament, he is bored out of his mind with Marvel. He was actually smiling and laughing when he played Justin in that bogus match.

You took the words right out of my mouth....

People want to put money in something that makes them money. If Players are sandbagging these tournaments, it makes the viewers not care about what their seeing and can be a detriment to the view and sales.

If last night was a indicator of how players will act towards money, why should sponsors put more money in this scene?

I can only hope it is in some way a protest against their sponsors? I couldn't imagine EG or AGE being just happy with the whole thing. Why wouldn't they want EG Justin Wong bringing home a marvel title no matter how small?

Maybe if EG complains Justin can tell them to provide more incentives or something to make it worth his while.

Otherwise it just isn't a good look to me. I don't know much about AGE/PDP but I wouldn't buy any of their products. On the other hand I have purchased BT and Madcatz stuff.

Shouta

EVO is all that matters to Chris, Justin and the rest of the pros. It has prestige and actual bragging rights.

Lando even said Texas wasn't a major.

If you don't respect TOs, then you aren't going to get respect from them. Disrespect enough tournies and you'll find yourself out of luck when you really need it.

Dahbomb

Well I hope this doesn't happen at NCR.. I want FChamp to do everything and anything necessary to defend his home turf. At least he has regional pride.

L2P

Neo Member
If you don't respect TOs, then you aren't going to get respect from them. Disrespect enough tournies and you'll find yourself out of luck when you really need it.

I agree with that..

surprised Justin did random select due to EG actually caring that their teams do well. But in the end i dont think it would matter, im sure chris would have won anyway, pot split or not.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie

I respect the insight. You still dumb ass Lando though.

I kind of want to see a bogus GF marvel at evo. I would be so hype for the salt train. But obviously a real GF would be infinitely better.

o man, imagine what would happen if all the "top players" got banned outside the few that actually are smart about it. It would be glorious. The rise of Floe

Malice215

Which in turn reduces the split incentives by making the gradation less severe.

Of course. I wish more tournaments would handle payouts the same way. I always hated how 70% went to first place instead of scaling the pot based on the amount of entrants.

Dahbomb

The funny thing is that both ChrisG and Justin were trying their hardest in Winner Finals to win and Justin created a lot of opportunities to win the set but couldn't finish it off. That just made the GF even more disappointing because it felt that Justin had a good read on ChrisG.

Top Bottom