• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 15-21 | That's 102%, Welcome to DCU

LegatoB

Im not saying i agree with what was done.. but it doesn't bother me. This wouldn't happen when it matters. For example at EVO or SBO. My opinion, that's the only time players are in "tryhard" mode. Contrary to popular belief, these guys don't care about your majors. Also, Texas Showdown was not considered important to anyone except maybe the Texas scene.
That's cool, but if you really have that little respect for your fellow competitors at the event, I'd really rather you stayed home.

Of course you're gonna get that "easy money" stomping inferior competition when you're a pro, that's how you afford to travel to the "real events." But would it kill you to pretend you had any sort of respect whatsoever for your fellow players, the people who took time out of their daily lives to run these events, to compete in these events?

kirblar

Of course. I wish more tournaments would handle payouts the same way. I always hated how 70% went to first place instead of scaling the pot based on the amount of entrants.
The 70/20/10 division (outside of weekly events) is actively detrimental to the growth of the scene.

For comparison, the event I attended (and finished 9th at) this past weekend: http://www.starcitygames.com/events/130413_hagerstown_fact_sheet.html (Ignore the actual $ values- I'm just using it as a reference point for prize structure scaling.)

kirblar

EVO is all that matters to Chris, Justin and the rest of the pros. It has prestige and actual bragging rights.

Lando even said Texas wasn't a major.
It really wasn't. Neither was April Duels. I'm not sure that flying these top-level players out to these smaller regional events is actually a net positive.

supahkiwi

Banned
PlS3YOw.png

Truer words have never been spoken

brettreyu

That's cool, but if you really have that little respect for your fellow competitors at the event, I'd really rather you stayed home.

Of course you're gonna get that "easy money" stomping inferior competition when you're a pro, that's how you afford to travel to the "real events." But would it kill you to pretend you had any sort of respect whatsoever for your fellow players, the people who took time out of their daily lives to run these events, to compete in these events?

That's my take on it too. I have about .015 seconds of free time each week. Streams, majors, and whatever are entertainment and I like rooting for the people who have a genuine passion for the games and tournaments. I'm considering going to Northwest Majors in a few weeks, its really close to my house, but I'd be pretty bummed either way if this happened there. Even if its not a "major".

Shouta

I hear what you guys are saying.. i know it is hard to believe, but many of these "top players" do not care about the sponsors, tournaments, money, organizers, commentators, stream monsters.. Its not about the money or the pride, sometimes it is just about old fashion fun and games.

Im not saying i agree with what was done.. but it doesn't bother me. This wouldn't happen when it matters. For example at EVO or SBO. My opinion, that's the only time players are in "tryhard" mode. Contrary to popular belief, these guys don't care about your majors. Also, Texas Showdown was not considered important to anyone except maybe the Texas scene.

but im just dumb ass lando, what do i know

Here's the thing, it should always matter. It's the lack of respect for all the folks that put their time and effort into these events so folks can have fun and play games. It's the lack of respect for the folks that allow them to live this lifestyle that bothers everyone. These events are for the FGC as a whole and are still a community effort. Most aren't run by the corporations so a lot of people put a lot of time and heart into these things. It would behoove them to show more respect because they may end up not being able to enjoy have fun and play games anymore if they keep the attitude.

That's my take on it too. I have about .015 seconds of free time each week. Streams, majors, and whatever are entertainment and I like rooting for the people who have a genuine passion for the games and tournaments. I'm considering going to Northwest Majors in a few weeks, its really close to my house, but I'd be pretty bummed either way if this happened there. Even if its not a "major".

Yo, you coming to NWM? Good shit. I'll see you there then.

GabbyJay

Ben's Lens Ben's Lens Ben's Lens
AGE is a good sponsor. Aside from Fanatiq and Chris G, they brought in Knives, Vangief, and Reynald(?) and maybe some more I missed. EMP is dealing with foreign governments and should be investigated for espionage.

Malice215

DEATH™;54044526 said:
This is not growing pains... Its just Americans acting like stereotypical Americans. Asian players don't act this way...

What big pots are Asian players playing for? It's not about nationality.

The 70/20/10 division (outside of weekly events) is actively detrimental to the growth of the scene.

For comparison, the event I attended (and finished 9th at) this past weekend: http://www.starcitygames.com/events/130413_hagerstown_fact_sheet.html (Ignore the actual $ values- I'm just using it as a reference point for prize structure scaling.)

I didn't care about 70/20/10 when I first started competing, but once I been around in the competitive scene for a while, it was one of the first things I wanted to see changed. Another thing being 3/5 sets from 2/3.

It's just slow to bring about change, but at most majors there's at least top 8 payout for the bigger games or when there's a large pot bonus.

And why other games like MTG can do a payout structure like that is mainly due to the fact that there's a higher entry fee when fighting games still charge $10, so there's less money to scale among those who finish in the top places.

kirblar

I didn't care about 70/20/10 when I first started competing, but once I been around in the competitive scene for a while, it was one of the first things I wanted to see changed. Another thing being 3/5 sets from 2/3.

It's just slow to bring about change, but at most majors there's at least top 8 payout for the bigger games or when there's a large pot bonus.

And why other games like MTG can do a payout structure like that is mainly due to the fact that there's a higher entry fee when fighting games still charge $10, so there's less money to scale among those who finish in the top places.
MTG also benefits from the TO/Vendors being able to sell way, way more merchandise due to the nature of the game, so they can pay out better. But yeah, higher entry fees for bigger events would also help even out the paydays.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Ask Chris G when his girlfriend and him are in the mood and they are finally in their own grand finals, does he go random and not go his hardest? I think she would be disappointed then. Always go your hardest. :)

Infinite

AGE is a good sponsor. Aside from Fanatiq and Chris G, they brought in Knives, Vangief, and Reynald(?) and maybe some more I missed. EMP is dealing with foreign governments and should be investigated for espionage.

You mean Romance. Arcade Shock sponsors Reynald.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'll take care of promos for our sales. I want our players to focus on themselves and the games they play.

DEATH™

It's not about nationality... It's about Americans being the stereotypical Americans who cares only for the paypah... I know we're better than this...

Look, Korea and Japan fights everytime for sponsorships for games, and we won't hear any kind of drama like this.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
DEATH™;54050472 said:
It's not about nationality... It's about Americans being the stereotypical Americans who cares only for the paypah... I know we're better than this...

Look, Korea and Japan fights everytime for sponsorships for games, and we won't hear any kind of drama like this.
Didnt some Korean Starcraft players went to jail for rigging matches?

Spacebar

I'm gonna rep GAF and my home city at Civil War 5 this weekend. I'll be playing SF AE and SFxT. I'll see if I can find my sunset plane gaf shirt to wear.

DEATH™

Didnt some Korean Starcraft players went to jail for rigging matches?

Yeah, that was long time ago in Brood War, but it's more mafia-like though as there are other organizations behind the scenes. But at the same time, people showed Starcraft is serious business and got punishment for that... Can't say the same in Marvel (or American FGC in general...)

pseudoedit Beaten

vocab

The only real netcode impression is better than mk. It also looks like ranked actually works, and koh isn't plagued with performance issues. I'm pretty sure the game is on par with sfiv's dodgy netcode but dealing with the bullshit will still be troublesome in an online environment.

kirblar

When Justin picked Dan wasn't that a teams tournament? I can't remember.
It was singles- they mentioned on commentary that Air had blown up his Rufus earlier though (and I think he switched to Adon after winning, then losing with Dan.)

Xevren

The only real netcode impression is better than mk. It also looks like ranked actually works, and koh isn't plagued with performance issues. I'm pretty sure the game is on par with sfiv's dodgy netcode but dealing with the bullshit will still be troublesome in an online environment.

One dumb thing about ranked is that if someone rage quits on you, you get a loss for whatever reason. Hopefully that gets fixed quickly.

It was singles- they mentioned on commentary that Air had blown up his Rufus earlier though (and I think he switched to Adon after winning, then losing with Dan.)

Ah, alright. For some reason I kept thinking it was teams. Not like it mattered anyway.

To me, tournaments are a competitive event. You come to compete. If you're not playing to win, you shouldn't be playing at all.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ranked mode is nothing but counter-picks of your main character used in the stats screen. Fuck this shit and fuck achievements being tied to it. Fuck you Capcom, Tecmo, Namco, Arc, et. al that does this.

I just want to play Player Matches where people aren't dicks. But nooooooo.

sleepykyo

I didn't even see any numbers under the ping column on 2 matches in Art's stream. Kind of scary when even the 360 version is that bad.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Of course. I wish more tournaments would handle payouts the same way. I always hated how 70% went to first place instead of scaling the pot based on the amount of entrants.
Yeah, 70/20/10 is pretty dumb for any remotely large bracket imo.

A few months ago when I was bored and killing time at work, I cooked up an Excel spreadsheet for how I'd do payouts around here if I was the one actually running them. The basic idea was that 1st gets twice as much as 2nd, 2nd gets 2x as much as 3rd, and so on until it isn't worth paying out to any more spots (and that cut-off is dependent on the # of players). Still a significant enough jump between the rungs to be worth playing for but not absurdly so.

When Justin picked Dan wasn't that a teams tournament? I can't remember.
Nope.

And it's actually a pretty good point. When Justin's goofing-off and half-assed play was actually working to an extent, nobody was up in arms over it.

lolmark

DEATH™;54050472 said:

You need to stop treating stereotypes as hard facts.

Top Bottom