• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 15-21 | That's 102%, Welcome to DCU

The FGC needs a Jordan. Someone who is dominate and is willing to set aside any of his opinions and feelings on everything to pave the way for future generations to make theirs. Jordan paved the way for other players to get sponsorships and endorsements while keeping it classy and not letting any kind of BS get to his head regardless of his feelings and opinions on things.

You mean 2009 Daigo?

onionfrog

IMO, most of those characters are solid. Hell, Abegen does well with Tron despite using a bad team.
They can work well on the right team, but the disparity between them and the top tiers is ridiculous.
I love watching Abegen's team even though its arguably poorly constructed.

sephi22

Crossposting from the Injustice thread because you guys love seeing hatemail. This one is the best I received, and it was when I solo'ed against a team of Dante and Kratos with Sir Dan and won.

6o5MLYF.jpg

There isn't a canister big enough to hold this salt.

Honestly though there is no one as determined to take EVO as ChrisG and there is no one more deserving either. Part of me wants him to take it but another part of me doesn't. I just hope that if he does take it the GF isn't some shitty 3-0 blow out.

I want every match he plays to be a 3-0 blow up. Straight through winner's bracket, putting everyone on blast.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Crossposting from the Injustice thread because you guys love seeing hatemail. This one is the best I received, and it was when I solo'ed against a team of Dante and Kratos with Sir Dan and won.

I feel this man's pain.. I hate it when my phone autocorrects "fucking" to "gucking" :(

Injustice, or PAS? I'm confused.

Isn't the current situation in Marvel 3 akin to what happened with Justin in Marvel 2?
A GAF detective
(APrettyPanda)
should go scour for forum posts from the JWong domination period to see if people whined just as much.

Not really, ChrisG hasn't even won EVO yet or hell even a West Coast event yet. If this continues for 2-3 years then yea it would be similar.

NCR is his major to show he can handle the pressure of being in the West Coast (if he feels pressured).

Speaking of NCR, are there any exhibition matches scheduled?

Kioshen

Allright I'll bite since I'm getting close to 30 myself albeit it's very US centric ...

z9c3TFD.png
How Valle are you. No cheating.

1. Levi's, Tommy Hilfigher and I dunno anything else
2. Yellow for the gun, green for the tank
4. I don't remember this one but I once knew it for sure
5. SunnyD ?
7. Shakira
9. Crush grape
10. lol no
12. Jordan, Barkley and possibly Rodman
13. Waterfall ?
15. Williams IIRC
16. Wish I knew at the time ...
17. Poltergeist
18. I knew it but I don't remember now :(
19. Killer Cuts
20. EGM
21. Battle Arena Toshiden
22. Vanilla Ice / Go ninja, Go ninja GO !
23. Never owned a genesis :/
24. Twins
25. Bonkers ?
27. I know I should know this but I don't remember either
28. Why couldn't you pick something about Nirvana >_<
29. Katana
30. Bruce Lee
31. Labyrinth it's only thing I remember ...
34. Super Potato ?
35. There was something before Soul Edge ?
37. Gremlins
38. To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything
39. Dunno the name but it's surely about the minidisc

I watched a Youtube video with all the Injustice story mode cutscenes turned into a movie of sorts. If there's one thing NetherRealm does well, it's story.
z9c3TFD.png
How Valle are you. No cheating.

1. Name three articles of clothing or styles worn popularly in the mid to late 90s by kids, teens and adults alike. 1-3 points. Cargo pants, baggy pants, flannel shirts
2. What are the colors of the original 50ML super soaker? 1 point. Green and yellow
4. Without this person, Jennifer Lopez's career would most likely never take off like it did. Who is it? 1 point. P. Diddy/Puff Daddy/Sean John
5. This popular Hi-C drink featured slimer on the box, what was it's name? 1 point. Ecto Cooler
6. Name the theme song of the movie Boomerang. And name the two starring roles. 3 points. Eddy Murphy, forgot the rest.
7. Besides Mandy Moore, Britney Spears and Christa Aguilera, name one other popular female pop singer of the time. 1 point. Brandy had some pop hits, despite being an R&B artist technically. I'm sticking with her.
8. What came first. Where the streets have no name or Everybody wants to rule the world? 1 point.
11. What is the name of the singing group produced by Heavy D in the 90s? 1 point. Heavy D & the Boys
12. Name three basketball players with popular shoes in the early to mid 90s. 3 points. Jordan, Pippen, Magic Johnson
13. Name the TLC song you can make babies to. 1 point. Red Light Special
17. Name the cult movie with bad clowns. 1 point. Killer Klowns from Outer Space
19. Killer Instinct for SNES came with an OST, what was the name of it? 1 point. Killer Kuts
20. Akuma made his magazine debut in what gaming magazine? 1 point. EGM
21. What was the first 3d fighting game for the PSone? 1 point. Battle Arena Toshinden
22. Which rap singer was featured in a TMNT movie and what was the chorus he sang? 2 points. Vanilla Ice, "GO NINJA GO NINJA, GO"
24. This movie featured Arnold and Danny Devito as bros, what was it's name? 1 point. Twins
25. This badass Cartoon cat could beat up dogs, what was his name? 1 point. Heathcliff
26. Name the female rapper in the Ruff Ryders. 1 point. Eve
28. Pras, ODB and one other person made this popular song which was also featured in a movie. Name this person and the song. 2 points. Maya, Ghetto Superstar *I edited in Maya because I thought I had already put her in. Score as necessary pls.*
30. Which famous martial artist and actor died too young in the 90s and what was his last movie? 2 points. Brandon Lee, "The Crow"
31. David Bowie was the villain in this popular movie. What is the name of the movie and who also starred in it? 2 points. "Labyrinth," Jennifer...Connely?
37. Name the creature which can't be hit by water or eat after midnight. 1 point. Gremlin
38. Welsey Snipes was a drag queen in this movie. 1 point. "To Wong Foo: Thanks for Everything!"
39. Name the device that is the "betamax" to mp3 players. 1 point. Walkman

Kioshen

As much as I respect Chris, he has made himself out to be somewhat of a heel. The whole "I don't care what others think" attitude is going to bite him in the ass one day.

With all the waves he's been making recently I think it's already starting to.

Beckx

Was Brandon Lee really all that famous?

Prior to his death filming the Crow?

Not really. We knew that Bruce Lee's son was making a movie, but when he died filming it he was a legend before the movie even released. (blah blah blah Lee family curse blah blah blah)

Godlike film.

"Try harder! Try again!"

Dahbomb

1. Name three articles of clothing or styles worn popularly in the mid to late 90s by kids, teens and adults alike. 1-3 points. Baggy pants, bucket hats and overalls. Hated all of them.
2. What are the colors of the original 50ML super soaker? 1 point. Yellow and green with the tip being orange.
3. Name a K7 song. And what was the group's name before that? 2 points. Don't know this.
4. Without this person, Jennifer Lopez's career would most likely never take off like it did. Who is it? 1 point. I mean it's either either Selena or P.Diddy/Puff Daddy depending on which part of her career we are talking about here.
5. This popular Hi-C drink featured slimer on the box, what was it's name? 1 point. Ecto-Cooler?
6. Name the theme song of the movie Boomerang. And name the two starring roles. 3 points. Don't know.
7. Besides Mandy Moore, Britney Spears and Christa Aguilera, name one other popular female pop singer of the time. 1 point. Alanis Morissette
8. What came first. Where the streets have no name or Everybody wants to rule the world? 1 point. Neither of these songs debuted in the 90s but I think it's Everybody Wants to Rule the world.
9. What is the name of the popular grape soda in the 80s? 1 point. Don't know, there are more than one of them
10. Name the popular Filipino R&B/techno/club/dance singer of the mid to late 90s. Don't know.
11. What is the name of the singing group produced by Heavy D in the 90s? Don't know.
12. Name three basketball players with popular shoes in the early to mid 90s. Jordan, Barkley, Johnson
13. Name the TLC song you can make babies to. 1 point. Baby, Baby... unless you actually mean a song you can have sex to..
14. Name the rap group in the 90s in which CORN Alucard looks like he could be part of. 1 point. Don't know... too many music questions in here.
15. What company helped Midway with games back in the 90s? 1 point. WMS Industries
16. What is the code to use same characters in VS mode of SF2 on SNES? 1 point. Down, R, Up, L, Y, B
17. Name the cult movie with bad clowns. 1 point. Killer Clowns from out of space
18. What is the name of the group and song that is a parody of TLC's no scrubs? Oh gee, another music related question.
19. Killer Instinct for SNES came with an OST, what was the name of it? Gold Cuts?
20. Akuma made his magazine debut in what gaming magazine? EGM
21. What was the first 3d fighting game for the PSone? Battle Arena Toshinden
22. Which rap singer was featured in a TMNT movie and what was the chorus he sang? 2 points. Vanilla Ice and Go ninja go
23. What is the name of the fist of the north star game on the Genesis? Last Battle
24. This movie featured Arnold and Danny Devito as bros, what was it's name? Twins
25. This badass Cartoon cat could beat up dogs, what was his name? T-Bone from Swat Cats
26. Name the female rapper in the Ruff Ryders. ........
27. This other UK female pop group was in the shadows of the Spice Girls even though many say they are better, what was their name? Fuck this shit.
28. Pras, ODB and one other person made this popular song which was also featured in a movie. Name this person and the song. This questionaire sucks
29. What was the code name for the Dreamcast? It wasn't just one though. It was called Dural, Katana and Black Belt
30. Which famous martial artist and actor died too young in the 90s and what was his last movie? Brandon Lee, The Crow. Great movie and something that is truly representative of the 90s.
31. David Bowie was the villain in this popular movie. What is the name of the movie and who also starred in it? Labyrinth although I would hardly call it a "popular movie". Jennifer Connelly.
32. What was Tatyana Ali's hit song? Day Dreaming
33. Tatyana Ali's boyfriend at the time prematurely died and was also featured in a movie, what was his name? don't know
34. What was name of the import store featured in Gamefan? I am familiar with this magazine but I don't quite remember the name of the import store... Haversons?
35. What was the name of the Namco fighter that predates Soul Calibur, blade, edge, etc?
Knuckle Heads
36. What is the name of the Konami fighter in the arcades which also landed on a particular console? The only Konami fighter I know of is Martial Champion which was a blantant SF2 rip off.
37. Name the creature which can't be hit by water or eat after midnight. Gremlin
38. Welsey Snipes was a drag queen in this movie. To Wong Foo
39. Name the device that is the "betamax" to mp3 players. Walkman
40. This carnival ride looks like a UFO. There is actually a carnival ride that is called a UFO so you have to be a bit more specific.

JDdelphin

I was born in 80 and I don't recognize a lot of those artists.

Yeah, I was born in 79 and from around 91 to 95 I listened to nothing but metal and grunge. Although I was aware of some of the bigger trends in the overall music scene.... and had that C & C Music Factory music video maker for Sega CD...

Then the internet happened

BDgXU.gif

MUSIC FROM EVERYWHERE
SO MUCH EVERYTHING
FAQS FULL OF COMBOS

Ghazi

Does anyone know the name of a video where MarlinPie was looking away from the screen and had the creepiest face ever while comboing someone? I don't remember the name of the video and I want to show it to someone. I know it's not much to go off of but I'm hoping someone remembers what it was.

I'm 30 and I don't think I can answer half those questions. But so what, I remember watching GI Joe, Transformers, Robotech, and Duck Tales in the late 80's to early 90's. Therefore I've already earned my place.

Pretty much my 80's as well. Transformers heavy of course, hur, hur. And lots of sports, showtime, Montana, LT, bad boy pistons, jordan. And lots of michael jackson, pop radio, and oldies.

Anth0ny

Did they really fucking add button checks to melee tournaments? YOU CAN'T CHANGE YOU'RE BUTTONS

I think too many people were complaining that their controllers crapped out on them mid set, so they do "warm ups" now just to make sure everything is working properly.

It's silly but whatever. Melee is a fast game, someone's L button or c stick crapping out mid game is real annoying. I know from experience.

Top Bottom