• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 15-21 | That's 102%, Welcome to DCU

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I had burger king today too and regretted it immediately. Fucking THE worst.

Folks, word of advice, eating at burger king is kinda like pot splitting. People will hate you for it and you feel like a price of shit before during and after it.

Actually it might be worse than pot splitting

DEATH™

The last RTS I played was single-player Warcraft 2 in like 1995 or some shit, so I don't know much about Starcraft, but I have trouble believing this.

Let me put it this way... Even playing at bronze would require you to learn a bit of builds and how to counter other people's units. Just by that, some beginner would go to a forum and it starts there...

Competitive players are always a vocal minority within the overall context of every game. No troll.

Not so in RTS. Competitive players aren't a minority. They actually a big part of consumers. Hence, the company listens.

Unlike in FGs, companies can get away with a half-a**ed game and people will still buy everything they give. Its actually our fault for doing that. Worse culprit ismDOA (sorry guys), the competitive scene's cries are blatantly ignored, as more people are concerned about gushing at the next overpriced DLC.

SmokeMaxX

The issue was that they did something very unprofessional in front of 10,000+ viewers. You can lose a lot of potential profit doing something like that on stream.
What they did was a bad decision. I just disagree with a lot of arguments that I've seen about it.
they won the tournament?

You and I both agree with Ultradavid's conclusion. They're both second place.

I'm not a huge supporter of pot splitting. I just think the punishment should fit the crime. I don't think they should be banned from Evo. I don't think pot-splitting itself should be banned (because there's no way to enforce this). What may be a good idea is a "compete" rule where if you blatantly refuse to compete (like let's say walking forward at the beginning of the match or picking a team you obviously don't know how to play in an attempt to lose) then you can suffer appropriate consequences (losing that game, having your matches not be streamed, etc.).

I've thought about how to get rid of pot-splitting for my past few tournaments. There's not an easy solution. What I tried at ARK V was splitting the bonus pot ahead of time (and then paying out the main pot at 70/20/10) so that there was no incentive not to try hard since everyone already had a healthy amount of money. The plan wasn't unsuccessful since JWong still played out his matches even against his teammate Ricky, but it wasn't super successful either. I've thought about having unique prizes (so splitting isn't possible) but it's obvious that people would rather have money than a statue or something. In the end, though, what they did is getting blown out of proportion. I've seen dozens of blatant pot splits in majors, regionals, local tournies, etc. It sucks, but calling for their head isn't the answer. If there's a big problem, it needs to be fixed appropriately in a way that is both effective and fair.

Dahbomb

I can't wait for the 5v5 Morrigan/Doom event.
The other team would win if they keep the format. Out of the gods only 1 is a MorriDoom player. So if it was 4 gods plus 1 top player vs ChrisG and 4 other MorriDoom players... the first team would win free especially if it's 1 round and you have to win a certain number of games.

I am more interested in seeing Doom vs the world event. Enough of the top players use him where the team would be stacked. Justin, Yipes, RayRay, Moonz, Drew Grimey vs ChrisG, FChamp, PRRog, MarlinPie, Apologyman. Now that would be nice to watch.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The only reason why that Phoenix event worked out because half of the Phoenix players in the roster weren't even good. If every Phoenix player was near FChamp caliber people would've been mad salty and the event would've been unhype. Instead you had Justin Wong beating people with his gimmick X23 team. Plus it was 1 round Marvel, anything could've happened. And the GF was 2 Phoenix + 2 invincible assist players.... it was essentially poetic about the state of the game and it being the last major of that game.

If we kept that mentality of "screw you guys Vanilla Marvel was hype" we wouldn't have UMVC3 with vastly superior balance changes. The fact that problems were identified and then fixed allowed the game to survive and be hype for a longer time. That's why we can't pretend like this MorriDoom BS isn't a problem. Last time the community tried to come up with actual counters to something was for Vanilla Phoenix. If people spent more time studying and countering Vergil instead (like FChamp does) you would see far less people falling for Helm Breakers and his non mix ups.
Oh it's a problem. But what are you going to do about it?

There is no patch on the horizon and no amount of pleading, begging, asking or bitching will make of happen. #dealwithit

What are our options left? Develop those counters or step your shit up so you can hang with Chris G on a player level.

Also Chris Schmidt is one of the hungry guys too, but he's unproven.

At this point, Fighters of Capcom or MvC4 are the only things that will kill Marvel, and they're certainly looking far off.

Dahbomb

The option is you pot split among the best players so people don't have to deal with that shit... which is what people are doing lol.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Get to near Chris G level, pot split don't have to win!

It's ok guys you can all play BBCP when it comes out instead!

Oh and SkullGirls is already out, so no excuses for not playing that.

Dahbomb

And a true MorriDoom counter is a myth. There are teams that get utterly destroyed by it and there are teams that don't.

There are plenty of excuses for not playing skullgirls.

As for BBCP, I'm keen but I wouldn't be surprised to see a marvel patch, UNiB on xbox and P4A Pal release first.

Vice

Oh it's a problem. But what are you going to do about it?

There is no patch on the horizon and no amount of pleading, begging, asking or bitching will make of happen. #dealwithit

What are our options left? Develop those counters or step your shit up so you can hang with Chris G on a player level.

Also Chris Schmidt is one of the hungry guys too, but he's unproven.

At this point, Fighters of Capcom or MvC4 are the only things that will kill Marvel, and they're certainly looking far off.

CS is a MVc2 G. Morridoom will get blown up soon enough.

alstein

Vanilla was a great game, fuck you guys. Nothing is better than full screen gunshot infinites into a full combo. NOTHING. I loved how stupid it was.

But really, I always picture the Marvel metagame as the journey and not the destination. Seth described it kinda succinctly too, there's always the bad guy everyone wants to see handled. Be it Wesker, Zero, MorriDoom, Vergil, whoever. And when someone does its all that sweeter. Look at how excited people got when people got games off of Chris G, then they turn around and act like he's invincible and that would never happen. That was the case in Vanilla too, Phoenix was the one to hate and subsequently led to Good vs. Evil being the best MvC3 series event ever. The players put in WORK to try and counter Phoenix, and look how under the pressures that be it got so close down to the wire between the two teams. If an unbalanced as fuck game that hinges on Phoenix could produce that and those counters, for damn sure UMvC3 can.

fuck why can't I sleep

That is the exact quote Ono made before SF4 Asshole Edition. We saw how unhype that was- and we got Apology Edition for that.

Games evolve much faster now- Year 1 of UMVC3 is like Year 5-6 of MVC2.

There's one big excuse- no one wants to play the game, they just want to vote for new chars and appreciate the art/music.

smurfx

get some go again
At this point, I'd rather have a MvC4. Or Nintendo vs. Capcom. Or Namco vs. Capcom. Just use the same established formula, expand on it and try to make it more balanced.

The latter two are my dream games. Unfortunately, the chances of them ever being realized are slim to none. Nintendo lending characters? NOPE. Namco lending characters after SFXTK? NOPE.
i think nintendo might be up for this since the wii u is bombing. this might be a title that creates enough hype to sell some wii u's if its good enough.

well, i can only speak for myself, but as soon as i saw the top 3 i knew the pot split was coming, so i turned stream off.

minus 1 viewer but, who knows, maybe more folks will get sick of pot splits shenanigans and viewers drop. when Marvel starts getting 2K viewers during a major and less people register, pot splits will stop.

but shame Marvel is like heroin for some, so this will go on for years.

alstein

well, i can only speak for myself, but as soon as i saw the top 3 i knew the pot split was coming, so i turned stream off.

minus 1 viewer but, who knows, maybe more folks will get sick of pot splits shenanigans and viewers drop. when Marvel starts getting 2K viewers during a major and less people register, pot splits will stop.

but shame Marvel is like heroin for some, so this will go on for years.

They'll just pot split the smaller amounts, or the pot splits will occur to whatever game folks flee to from Marvel.

If there was enough money in VF, even VF folks would be shady.

Grecco

I missed the pot random select drama since top 8 lasted so long because of all those freaking breaks. (Terribly paced)

having said that Viscant nails it down perfectly in his facebook post.

onionfrog

Is there an archive available for Texas showdown?
I only caught the beginning of top 16 marvel before I had to get some sleep last night and I'd like to at least see buckethead's matches and salty ultradavid commentary during that shitty grand finals.

Horseress

Man, I hope the EVO staff step over and put people in their places with this pot splitting nonsense, like they did with the raffles. This is killing Marvel...and I hope UMvC3 don't close tourneys anymore, all the other top 8's where better, and I can say that about Final Round as well

You guys are being worry warts. Come EVO everyone will bring out their real tech and the true king of hearts games will be saved. All will rejoice and the rightful Capcom game will ascend to it's true place in the sun.

:3
Needs more dick, maybe more fish too.

I don't like blatant match throwing any more than the next guy, but I don't see a single reason why anything in this sentence has to be true.

No, I agree, it doesn't at all have to be true. Which is what makes it playing out that way all the more frustrating. And it has been playing out that way. This isn't at all a new thing. These complaints, these arguments, they're old. But they keep happening.

LOL, so glad I went to sleep instead of watching some more bullshit unhype GF where two dudes suck each other off on stage

Save us, Lord Viscant

Viscant speaking the truth. He's going to be running that Zero/Doom/Vergil and stomping, hopefully.

I had burger king today too and regretted it immediately. Fucking THE worst.

Folks, word of advice, eating at burger king is kinda like pot splitting. People will hate you for it and you feel like a price of shit before during and after it.

Actually it might be worse than pot splitting
Burger King is awful. I've eaten there 3 times in my life, and all 3 times I got food poisoning from different locations. Never again.

Beckx

Heads up for fans of Neo-Geo fighters. Amazon is selling the Neo-Geo X for $129 (handheld, docking station, fight stick, 20 games). No Windjammers, though.

Burger King is awful. I've eaten there 3 times in my life, and all 3 times I got food poisoning from different locations. Never again.

Poison me once, shame on you...poison me 3 times?

Viscant speaking the truth. He's going to be running that Zero/Doom/Vergil and stomping, hopefully.

Yea I'd hope so, but I don't know if he has the execution for lightning loops. The thing I loved about his vanilla game was how patient he was, and he found a great team that did not have high execution.

In ultimate the execution barrier at the top level is huge except for Wolverine, Doom and Vergil. I think his hand injuries are stopping him from excelling with that team.

Beckx

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53992419]Science![/QUOTE]

LOL. I wish I'd thought of this.

-------------------------------------

And the Skullgirls DLC vote thread just went to hell in a handbasket.

vocab

All fast food suck. Very location dependent, and very inconsistent. I can't even get consistent pizza because no one knows how to make Pizza, and they use old dough, and cook it wrong.

Top Bottom