• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 15-21 | That's 102%, Welcome to DCU

AAK

I know you guys don't actually play games, but does anyone have experience with hitboxes?

It is objectively the best method of input for any fighting game. The level of precision you can attain with a hitbox is unparalleled.

In Tekken, Bryan's Taunt Jet Upper is pretty much the most execution heavy move possible in the game because it requires 3 Just-Frames in succession. I had a friend who practiced it non stop and could do it probably only 1 every 20-30 times on pad/stick. With hitbox and only 2 days of practice he could do it 40% of the time.

Personally, it just feels awkward and too much to get used to for me to switch. And on the other hand, it kind of takes away the fun out of doing an execution heavy move because of how much easier it is on a hitbox. Hence I don't use one and continue to play stick. But objectively it is the superior fighting game related peripheral in the market today.

Shouta

My only regret is that I didn't start making clown noises. I apologize, I'll try to remember to bring a novelty tricycle horn next time.

Rest of the tournament was pretty sick though I felt

Clown noises would've been hype.

But yeah, I figured that shit was gonna get potsplited/dumb shit ending after Buckethead lost. I stopped and went to bed because I know those guys aren't giving two fucks about actually playing the game. Defeats the entire purpose of playing a fighting game. It's even worse because there's not very much money in FGs anyway.

I agree with Viscant's point though. Potsplitting isn't the issue, it's the "don't care so I'll just do whatever for grand finals" mentality. No pride on the line at all and that makes it worthless to watch.

I'm glad pretty much all the other games were were great to watch though. SFxT Top 8 was pretty good and P4A was actually pretty fun to watch with Naoto and Kanji action going on.

On Hitboxes, their advantages are game dependent. Something like Tekken, you'll get a lot of mileage because of the game systems but the more complex the inputs you need to use, the less benefit you get. 720s on a Hitbox for SF4 kinda suuuuck.

It is objectively the best method of input for any fighting game. The level of precision you can attain with a hitbox is unparalleled.

In Tekken, Bryan's Taunt Jet Upper is pretty much the most execution heavy move possible in the game because it requires 3 Just-Frames in succession. I had a friend who practiced it non stop and could do it probably only 1 every 20-30 times on pad/stick. With hitbox and only 2 days of practice he could do it 40% of the time.

Personally, it just feels awkward and too much to get used to for me to switch. And on the other hand, it kind of takes away the fun out of doing an execution heavy move because of how much easier it is on a hitbox. Hence I don't use one and continue to play stick. But objectively it is the superior fighting game related peripheral in the market today.

Generally agree with this. I ordered a custom panel from Art's Hobbies and modded one of my TEs into a Hitbox-alike. The degree to which you can isolate and speedily hit individual inputs is probably the best, but just like any other input method it takes a long time to get used to/master. I eventually went back to stick because I didn't want to invest the time(and my layout was probably not quite as good as an actual Hitbox layout for hand positioning, so it felt somewhat uncomfortable).

Edit: Also agree that when it comes to 360-type motions, you're better off with something like a pad; I think hitboxes are probably best overall, but still are a pro-con decision depending on who you're playing as.

After reading that Viscant post, it has gotten me onto the rightful West Coast team for the FGC.

#TeamPurity

Be the hero the FGC deserves, Viscant. I want to see Extra Good Viscant rise and stomp Evo 2013 now.

is a thing that does not exist

lol, exactly what i was thinking

Generally agree with this. I ordered a custom panel from Art's Hobbies and modded one of my TEs into a Hitbox-alike. The degree to which you can isolate and speedily hit individual inputs is probably the best, but just like any other input method it takes a long time to get used to/master. I eventually went back to stick because I didn't want to invest the time(and my layout was probably not quite as good as an actual Hitbox layout for hand positioning, so it felt somewhat uncomfortable).

Edit: Also agree that when it comes to 360-type motions, you're better off with something like a pad; I think hitboxes are probably best overall, but still are a pro-con decision depending on who you're playing as.

Great, thanks guys.

I'm not good enough on pad or stick to be loyal to either. And definitely not enough to not move to the clearly superior choice.

The idea of a hitbox always kinda appeals to me. But as a very non pro player I've always figured that the unfamiliarity trade off is way too much of a negative to make it worth while. Not just for myself, but for lots of local play in general. You can't borrow sticks from other people and if you are hosting a local setup folks either have to use your oddball control or keep swapping controllers in and out. Just doesn't seem worth it.

Krackatoa

Hitbox user here.

Grew up exclusively on keyboard. Hitbox was a godsend. Practiced on Arrowkeys + Spacebar before making the jump to a full controller, and it was the best decision of my life.

I actually can't use pad or stick, so I have a dual-modded Hitbox. :\

Also, regular Hitbox is designed for ASD+Space layout. Since I learned to play with arrow keys, I'm technically left-handed. I managed to scoop the only official Left-Hand Hitbox in existence.

So uh, I'm thinking about trying to build my own. How much of a pain in the butt is it for someone that has no experience at all?

The idea of a hitbox always kinda appeals to me. But as a very non pro player I've always figured that the unfamiliarity trade off is way too much of a negative to make it worth while. Not just for myself, but for lots of local play in general. You can't borrow sticks from other people and if you are hosting a local setup folks either have to use your oddball control or keep swapping controllers in and out. Just doesn't seem worth it.

Most people that play pads don't touch sticks and vice versa. If adding hitboxes to the mix is a hassle, then it's already a hassle without hitboxes. If you play on pad then it might not be worth the cost, but if you're invested enough to own a stick, I don't see why you wouldn't consider making playing the game easier on yourself and trying a hitbox.

Beckx

So uh, I'm thinking about trying to build my own. How much of a pain in the butt is it for someone that has no experience at all?

Assuming you can get a case with the setup you want, it's just a matter of buying the parts and wiring isn't a big deal.

I fell asleep at 8PM and have recently tried to get an understanding of what happened at Texas Showdown. ChrisG and Justin Wong pot-split, and then a boring finals ensued? Am I correct?

It is about £60 for the mod kit to turn my TE into a hitbox. I'm strongly tempted to bite the bullet in the interest of getting over my input problems.

In a surprise turn this morning I got given one of the spots for the UK finals for Injustice. I'm getting free travel to the tournament on Friday! I'm so esports.

I fell asleep at 8PM and have recently tried to get an understanding of what happened at Texas Showdown. ChrisG and Justin Wong pot-split, and then a boring finals ensued? Am I correct?

lol same. I had to do some house work, went to see the stream had that levelup static commercial logo, made dinner to see another static logo, cleaned up and watched some of top 8 on the side while playing Monster Hunter. Missed Grand Finals.

James Chen is cheesy but in a good way.

I was thinking about Capcom not having Marvel rights at the moment (supposedly).

Do you guys think another Marvel fighter from another publisher/dev would ever catch on with the FGC?

Mutant Academy/Next Dimension and Rise of the Imperfects didn't set things on fire. I wonder if somebody else would take a crack at it(not NRS though, heh), so we could get a different take on the formula.

Assuming you can get a case with the setup you want, it's just a matter of buying the parts and wiring isn't a big deal.

Good deal, thanks.

I was thinking about Capcom not having Marvel rights at the moment (supposedly).

Do you guys think another Marvel fighter from another publisher/dev would ever catch on with the FGC?

Mutant Academy/Next Dimension and Rise of the Imperfects didn't set things on fire. I wonder if somebody else would take a crack at it(not NRS though, heh), so we could get a different take on the formula.

People generally try any fighter at least once, but if it's not Capcom there's always going to be a tall hurdle to clear for a game to catch on.

CaptainHolla

Neo Member
There were a lot of hype matches leading up to that, though.

Texas Showdown has redeemed itself in my eyes, regardless - I'll probably go next year.

Beckx

Good deal, thanks.

I should've mentioned that FocusAttack.com has a ton of tutorials for wiring everything. Great resource. You should ask around about how people handle the ground wires given that you have four buttons and the PCB normally accepts just one ground wire coming from the stick. There are daisy chain ground wires out there (I'm using them in my next project) but they only have 10 connections. I'm sure someone on SRK Tech forum knows the answer.

Why would any company willingly take on the cost of licensing Marvel? Injustice was a no-brainer for Time Warner; they own NRS, they own DC. But I can't think of anyone able to foot the cost of a Marvel license and wonder whether Disney would be interested at all in footing the bill themselves.

Why would any company willingly take on the cost of licensing Marvel? Injustice was a no-brainer for Time Warner; they own NRS, they own DC. But I can't think of anyone able to foot the cost of a Marvel license and wonder whether Disney would be interested at all in footing the bill themselves.

Wha?

Companies have down it before, why not again? They license it out for mobile. I assume Disney will scale the cost when appropriate per the marketplace. If Disney is gonna charge to much and it's not financially feasible for a console license, it won't happen of course. But I would think if there is no interest, they would lower the asking price. Or Disney will just do versions of Avengers Initiative forever.

MkvDC was financially feasible for Midway back in the day. I could see somebody else taking a crack down the line.

Beckx

Wha?

Companies have down it before, why not again? They license it out for mobile. I assume Disney will scale the cost when appropriate per the marketplace. If Disney is gonna charge to much and it's not financially feasible for a console license, it won't happen of course. But I would think if there is no interest, they would lower the asking price. Or Disney will just do versions of Avengers Initiative forever.

MkvDC was financially feasible for Midway back in the day. I could see somebody else taking a crack down the line.

Mobile = cheap. Licenses make sense where dev costs are cheap.

Midway went bankrupt one year after publishing MKvDC. :p

I just don't see anyone ponying up to license a property for a fighting game in the near future. Marvel's sales will just reinforce the point that it's not worth it, so why give up the profit?

I just don't see anyone ponying up to license a property for a fighting game in the near future. Marvel's sales will just reinforce the point that it's not worth it, so why give up the profit?

hehe. I sincerely doubt MKvDC was the game that brought the Midway house down. NRS is always on budget and on schedule it seems, with good sales. If only Midway's other studios were as good in that regard :)

alstein

No big deal. Just an older major that revitalized itself under original leadership, and will now probably be the biggest major for the third coast in the coming year... Fuckityo.

As long as it has that name, it will be associated with shadiness. It would be like being sponsored by Buy-Rite Video Games.

L2P

Neo Member
that tournament was equivalent to a local or a weekly. I like to see good matches myself but that was not a major. obviously none of the good players cared.

that tournament was equivalent to a local or a weekly. I like to see good matches myself but that was not a major. obviously none of the good players cared.

There was some really impressive play from some of the local guys, especially Buckethead. And how often do Justin, ChrisG, and Xian all attend the same local/weekly?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
hehe. I sincerely doubt MKvDC was the game that brought the Midway house down. NRS is always on budget and on schedule it seems, with good sales. If only Midway's other studios were as good in that regard :)

Yep. Midway was a company that didn't adapt to the death of the American arcade but had its life prolonged for several years purely by milking Mortal Kombat year after year. MK vs DC did very well, but Midway was a doomed company regardless.

Venfayth

It's hard to make people care when everyone acts as if it's boring anyway. ChrisG vs JWong GF? Boring. ChrisG vs JWong and they're potsplitting? Holy shit call the press.

Didn't Ultimate have good legs (because releasing the expansion same calendar year is a terrible idea, who would have guessed) and ended up profitable?

onionfrog

Didn't Ultimate have good legs (because releasing the expansion same calendar year is a terrible idea, who would have guessed) and ended up profitable?
Yes. IIRC at one point on ask-capcom:
Sven said something like:
"The game has continued to sell consistently over time, and as of now we are pleased with its sales"

Also I agree that releasing it 9 months after vanilla was a terrible idea. Especially since they announced UMVC3 a mere 5 months after vanilla released. That angered a lot of people, including me and I love UMVC3.

I should've mentioned that FocusAttack.com has a ton of tutorials for wiring everything. Great resource. You should ask around about how people handle the ground wires given that you have four buttons and the PCB normally accepts just one ground wire coming from the stick. There are daisy chain ground wires out there (I'm using them in my next project) but they only have 10 connections. I'm sure someone on SRK Tech forum knows the answer.

Thanks, saved me the trouble of asking. The stick thread here has no links, the previous one has outdated links, and SRK is SRK . . .

Before we talk about licensing, we've got to remember that fighting games aren't seen as good investments from companies that don't already do them, so I doubt anyone would bother.

vocab

Ya, I think that it has legs because tournaments sold that game to many people on hype alone. The online sucks which could of helped its sales. I had like 4-6 people ask me about the game, and I said if you are planning to play online, don't waste your time, and they didn't bother buying it.

At any rate, I believe that tournament organizers should stop sucking up to the top players. Sometimes, it feels as though the top players are the ones that are running the tournaments and not the organizers.

At any rate, I believe that tournament organizers should stop sucking up to the top players. Sometimes, it feels as though the top players are the ones that are running the tournaments and not the organizers.

This is my exact belief too. Treat every competitor on the same level. No special treatment in terms of not getting disqualified, etc.

Horseress

I hope they hear Spooky at least...
capturarqrv.png

Malice215

Don't expect this to change since the top players and TOs are usually friends.

This is my exact belief too. Treat every competitor on the same level. No special treatment in terms of not getting disqualified, etc.

I been wanting to see this happen for years. Still won't change until things become more professional and less grass roots.

And now that I'm caught up on the drama, are people really upset over what happened or because it happened during Marvel finals? How come there wasn't such a level of disgust a week ago?

Don't expect this to change since the top players and TOs are usually friends.

I been wanting to see this happen for years. Still won't change until things become more professional and less grass roots.

And now that I'm caught up on the drama, are people really upset over what happened or because it happened during Marvel finals? How come there wasn't such a level of disgust a week ago?

They were. But the split wasn't so blatant as doing all random. And I think the crowd was calling for Iron Fist.

Chris could probably body most people with random select . . .

I wouldn't mind seeing a Random Select exhibition with Chris G vs some local scene.

Top Bottom