• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 22-28 | Game of Throws - A Song of Salt and Fire(balls)

Hrm, I need a wired pad but the Madcatz ones look kinda meh. Anyone have experience with that Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro?

It's great. Really nice buttons, you can toggle L and R, and it has a solid dpad. Only complaint is the unbalanced grip is kinda weird. Works better if you use the buttons with your fingers like a fightstick rather than with your thumb, just because you don't have a full grip on that side. But even if you use your thumb, it just takes a while to get used to it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think that's most of them. One stage doesn't have any transitions.
Seems like perfect grounds for banning stage transitions to be banned/turned off alongside interactables. Even moreso than interactables, not sure why they weren't turned off from the jump.

kirblar

I bought it off ebay around the time SF4 came out so I'm not sure how rare they are today. Are you looking for ps3 or xbxo360 pad?
Just checked Ebay and there's a ton of cheap ones out there now - they did get kinda rare for a while, though.

Dahbomb

Seems like perfect grounds for banning stage transitions to be banned/turned off alongside interactables. Even moreso than interactables, not sure why they weren't turned off from the jump.
Why? In Tekken some stages don't have walls or transitions either. They change the game somewhat but that's part of the game. Knowledge of the environment is part of the skillset.

Only thing that should be banned is the pig.

Shouta

I bought it off ebay around the time SF4 came out so I'm not sure how rare they are today. Are you looking for ps3 or xbxo360 pad?

PS3 because I can't use my wireless at Evo. MY PS2 to PS3 Inpin busted recently. The home button on the adapter stopped working make making it impossible to use. Plus the response on it is still not to the level of the natively built controllers.

It's great. Really nice buttons, you can toggle L and R, and it has a solid dpad. Only complaint is the unbalanced grip is kinda weird. Works better if you use the buttons with your fingers like a fightstick rather than with your thumb, just because you don't have a full grip on that side. But even if you use your thumb, it just takes a while to get used to it.

Oh sweet? Would you saw that the D-Pad is good for someone that really likes the PS3 Dpad?

TBH, I'd really just like a wired version of the Dual Shock 3 but they don't exist. =/

Spacebar

PS3 because I can't use my wireless at Evo. MY PS2 to PS3 Inpin busted recently. The home button on the adapter stopped working make making it impossible to use. Plus the response on it is still not to the level of the natively built controllers.

Damn, I was gonna offer to send you my mad catz SFxT 360 pad to see how you liked it. I don't have a 360 and just picked it up for Civil War because they were playing SF on 360.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why? In Tekken some stages don't have walls or transitions either. They change the game somewhat but that's part of the game. Knowledge of the environment is part of the skillset.

It's a 2D game and one character immediately starts at a disadvantage in the neutral because they are more susceptible to being caught in a stage transition. Same goes for all asymmetrical stages where one player starts closer to an interactable (some unblockable at that) than another. Oh and there's no sidestep to compensate for the lack of movement options at the start of a match either, which also limits options at the start too because of the nature of interactables.

I remember there being some concern that some stages would favour either the P1 or P2 sides with the interact-able elements. Is this still an issue?

Oh sweet? Would you saw that the D-Pad is good for someone that really likes the PS3 Dpad?

It's very similar, just fully connected rather than separate buttons, and a little stiffer. Really the closest comparison I can make is the N64's. The little switch on the back to change how stiff it is doesn't seem to do much, I can't really tell the difference. I like it much better than the standard ps3 one.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
It's a 2D game and one character immediately starts at a disadvantage in the neutral because they are more susceptible to being caught in a stage transition. Same goes for all asymmetrical stages where one player starts closer to an interactable (some unblockable at that) than another. Oh and there's no sidestep to compensate for the lack of movement options at the start of a match either, which also limits options at the start too because of the nature of interactables.

Well luckily the interactables are different on both sides as well.

Dahbomb

Interactables can be avoided/jumped over it's not a big deal in the neutral. Except for the pig which everyone agrees is broken.

The real problem with interactables is that once people get good in this game and start optimizing combos with meters and certain traits... damage in the game is going to get extremely high and interactables will be tacking on a ton of damage at the end of combos.
I remember there being some concern that some stages would favour either the P1 or P2 sides with the interact-able elements. Is this still an issue?
I wouldn't call it an "issue" but the environments do have an asymmetrical mapping to them.

In any regard.

It's a great game. Heavily footsie based, low on the shenanigans, "honest", no easy comeback mechanic, great cast of characters, solid online play, and I can go on. For me at least, there's not much to dislike. It's the best game since the 2009 "revival" and I can put it up their with CvS2, Alpha 2, and ST. Visually it's ass but I can deal with that.

Shouta

Damn, I was gonna offer to send you my mad catz SFxT 360 pad to see how you liked it. I don't have a 360 and just picked it up for Civil War because they were playing SF on 360.

I'll take it if you really don't want it. It would help because the monthlies/weeklies I go to are all 360 and my regular 360 Pad is like super shit for SFxT and VF5. I've been using my PS1 to 360 adapter instead but yeah, response isn't as good on everything.

It's very similar, just fully connected rather than separate buttons, and a little stiffer. Really the closest comparison I can make is the N64's. The little switch on the back to change how stiff it is doesn't seem to do much, I can't really tell the difference. I like it much better than the standard ps3 one.

Well, I use the area around where I bend my thumb instead of the tip of it so I don't have too much of an issue with it being stiff. Being connected on the surface is kind of interesting though. I'm used to the PS1 having parts elevated above and connected under the controller.

Dahbomb

I have to go back to Tekken 4 but I am almost certain some stages were asymmetrical as well in it. Then again that's the worst example to use because most people agree that Tekken was bad.

sleepykyo

It's a great game. Heavily footsie based, low on the shenanigans, "honest", no easy comeback mechanic, great cast of characters, solid online play, and I can go on. For me at least, there's not much to dislike. It's the best game since the 2009 "revival" and I can put it up their with CvS2, Alpha 2, and ST. Visually it's ass but I can deal with that.

I didn't think Capcom has it in them to make a CvS/CvS2 type game anymore and judging from the reception to both the original and even the post patch one, they probably shouldn't even if they could. It's a weird flip from the ST/Alpha v. MK(3) days, but Capcom makes the rushdown games while NRS makes the zoning games now.

Spacebar

I'll take it if you really don't want it. It would help because the monthlies/weeklies I go to are all 360 and my regular 360 Pad is like super shit for SFxT and VF5. I've been using my PS1 to 360 adapter instead but yeah, response isn't as good on everything.

PM me your details and I'll send it out later this week.

Azure J

Reading the last page made me SO SAD I wasn't here for that Mars conversation. Mars vs. Earth exhibition is some Colonies vs. Earth Sphere Alliance stuff.

alstein

I didn't think Capcom has it in them to make a CvS/CvS2 type game anymore and judging from the reception to both the original and even the post patch one, they probably shouldn't even if they could. It's a weird flip from the ST/Alpha v. MK(3) days, but Capcom makes the rushdown games while NRS makes the zoning games now.

I have to agree, Capcom seems to hate zoning these days. You can even tell my some of the proposed AE2013 changes. I blame the dark anime gods for killing zoning-based fighters.

The huge pro-rushdown/anti-zoning nature of SFxTK is why I don't like the game. I don't like rushdown games all that much.

Well, I use the area around where I bend my thumb instead of the tip of it so I don't have too much of an issue with it being stiff. Being connected on the surface is kind of interesting though. I'm used to the PS1 having parts elevated above and connected under the controller.
I actually think it's better for people that use the bend of the thumb rather than the tip. It isn't like a completely flat nintendo pad, the tips are raised a little. So you can kind of rest your thumb in the little indent in the center and then rather than pressing it like a button you can kind of just rock your thumb. It's kind of hard to explain?

I don't care to argue any of that, my point was solely this: has the game ever left you in awe?

Shouta

I actually think it's better for people that use the bend of the thumb rather than the tip. It isn't like a completely flat nintendo pad, the tips are raised a little. So you can kind of rest your thumb in the little indent in the center and then rather than pressing it like a button you can kind of just rock your thumb. It's kind of hard to explain?

Nah, I totally know what you're talking about. I may have to see about getting the Hori FC3 Pro then.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
8wayrun: the problem is, exposing the illuminati has pretty much ruined my streaming business
8wayrun: I cant get work at any major event anymore, because its a big circle jerk in the community
8wayrun: naw, like EVO wont sponsor any events that I am streaming

After talking about Mr. Wizard being a sketchy guy.

8wayrun: the problem is, exposing the illuminati has pretty much ruined my streaming business
8wayrun: I cant get work at any major event anymore, because its a big circle jerk in the community
8wayrun: naw, like EVO wont sponsor any events that I am streaming

After talking about Mr. Wizard being a sketchy guy.

What'd he expose?

Nyoro SF

SFxT has the best training mode music. All the other tracks suck.

Honorable mention to Mad Gear Hideout.

But yeah the OST is pretty terrible and SF4 wasn't much to write home about either. What was even more sad about SF4 was that the character themes in the trailers sounded so much better than the finalized themes used in the game. :(

alstein

Nah, I totally know what you're talking about. I may have to see about getting the Hori FC3 Pro then.

It's a really good pad, though I don't know if the buttons would hold up for VF.

Also, didn't Jaxel do the VF event last year at Evo? I can see where Jaxel rubs some folks the wrong way, but he's always been good to the games he supports. He's done a good bit for VF.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Whoa, I didn't know you could control the trajectory of Morrigan's Level 3. That's pretty cool. (FGTV stream).

Top Bottom