• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 22-28 | Game of Throws - A Song of Salt and Fire(balls)

ReiGun

They could have finished those frames of art in Fearless Night.

Beast Fury looks cool. Pretty cool animations. But will probably suck because it looks like it'll be a furry game.

The makers have an account on Fur Affinity forums.

It will definitely be a furry game.

Guns_1000.jpg

Dahbomb

Injustice and Marvel use licensed characters... I am talking about original fighting game IPs and characters.

Actually the manliest characters shown most recently were Uncle Sensei and Jefailey. I will now buy 2 copies of the game.

Zissou

So many things that have to line up to make a truly great fighting game:
-Relatively balanced
-Developers who give a fuck and listen to fans (but also knows when not listen to stupid complaints), and also are interested in the health of the competitive scene
-Non-niche broadly appealing well-animated characters, and enough characters to have a lot of choices at the character select
screen in general.
-Good netcode
-Available and up-to-date patch/version-wise on multiple platforms in all regions
-Enough single-player stuff for more casual players (mostly just because they are the ones who purchase the game en masse and account for a huge chunk of revenue)
-Developer with resources necessary for all of the above

Seems like you have to settle for like half of those usually (at best!)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
-Relatively balanced
-Developers who give a fuck and listen to fans (but also knows when not listen to stupid complaints), and also are interested in the health of the competitive scene
-Non-niche broadly appealing well-animated characters, and enough characters to have a lot of choices at the character select
screen in general.
-Good netcode
-Available and up-to-date patch/version-wise on multiple platforms in all regions
-Enough single-player stuff for more casual players (mostly just because they are the ones who purchase the game en masse and account for a huge chunk of revenue)

BBCP will have almost all of that. Mhm yup

sephi22

Oh hey you just described Injustice.
-Its relatively balanced till this point.
-NRS gives many fucks (too many if you ask me). They patched MK9 repeatedly to please the community. Paulo and Hector frequently stream monster Twitch stream chats to answer questions and see what does and doesn't work
-DC characters. Nuff said.
-The netcode is good. Its not great, but its acceptable.
-Their patches release for all regions and versions simultaeneously
-STAR Labs, Story mode is for casuals.
-It seems they have the resources. Dat WB dough.

Dahbomb

-Relatively balanced
screen in general.
-Good netcode

You forgot the main component which is that the game has to be fun. People will play your game and you can be relatively successful if your game is fun even if it's broke.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You forgot the main component which is that the game has to be fun. People will play your game and you can be relatively successful if your game is fun even if it's broke.

This is exactly why I didn't mention BBCSEX :lol It's so balanced from tone downs it's boring as fuck

Zissou

I should've added:
-Good engine with plenty of depth that will allow complex and evolving competitive play over many years. (I realize that this is so nebulous that it doesn't really mean much and/or is just insanely subjective.)
-Engine that has safeguards in place to keep
really ridiculous execution requirements from being a necessity for higher level play (stuff like combos with 1-frame links being necessary to 'properly' play a character, etc.)

Also, Injustice's art style and animation are booty but cheeks. Same goes for 90% of BBCP's cast.

edit: Also Dahbomb's thing- the game has to
be fun (though I thought this went without saying, haha)

Dahbomb

Marvel needs a patch, I think we have established that already. You wouldn't have fucking top players wasting their time having 2 hour long weekly sessions on it or giant essays on it on blogs/forum posts. Even if it's "for the fun" there is a desire for some change if the option is there.

Now we don't need to talk about it until Monday.

As far as new fighting game IPs go it is VERY hard to make one without established characters. BB is the most ambitious relatively good budget fighter that doesn't rely on decade old characters for mass appeal. I can respect that. I think what brings it down for many is the obviously anime influenced art style... we really need fighters to break out of this design trope.

I think if you have established characters it becomes easier to budget and create content plus balance the game. You fucking know a Square Enix x Capcom fighter is going to make bank... you shouls use this opportunity to push content, netcode, engine possibility and a solid art style instead of milking the fanbase with shit DLC policies.

sleepykyo

Marvel needs a patch, I think we have established that already. You wouldn't have fucking top players wasting their time having 2 hour long weekly sessions on it or giant essays on it on blogs/forum posts. Even if it's "for the fun" there is a desire for some change if the option is there.

Now we don't need to talk about it until Monday.

No it doesn't. It isn't like minions would play another game. Even with the knowledge that the game won't be supported minions will flood the streets with MvC4 comes out (in time for Avengers 2) or Guardians of the Galaxy.

I think the world is finally ready for a sequel to the Cho Aniki fighting game.

4wsuNVx.jpg

Behold the manliness.

I can dig it. That or a Muscleman game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I need to learn how to code so I can make my collaborative strength character "tier" diagram slash balancing network model a reality. It'd be perfect and everyone could agree on who to balance how much and would also accurately describe which character is the best in the game as a sum of the strength of their relationships.

Dahbomb

Hey Marvel 2 got by just fine with a few good characters for 10 years. Deal with it

10 MORE YEARS!
Because 2D fans didn't have shit to play and other games weren't patched regularly that were in competition. There was also no means to regularly patch without expansion releases plus of course licensing issues on that game (which is real reason behind MVC3 as well). Let's not forget regular streaming and information exchange at light speed. Only reason MVC2 "died" was because MVC3 was finally released.

Different times and circumstances etc. Now you have so much choice in fighters that it's hard coming up with 8 fighters for EVO.

I need to learn how to code so I can make my collaborative strength character "tier" diagram slash balancing network model a reality. It'd be perfect and everyone could agree on who to balance how much and would also accurately describe which character is the best in the game as a sum of the strength of their relationships.
We already have tier charts.

http://www.mmcafe.com/tiermaker/

Top Bottom