• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 28 - May 4 | The Desolation of Smug

Interesting, Acqua thinks Evil Ryu is the best shoto while Tokido now says Ryu is, while everybody at SRK thinks Ken is.

No love for Akuma though and it's understandable. Anybody who watched that FT5 between Momochi and Tokido could tell Tokido seemed kind of lost during that set. It was a constant guessing game of whether Momochi was going to DWU or not. To me Akuma will always be Tokido's character in the SF4 series, but Akuma no longer fits Tokido's style. The cheapness is gone, and he has to play pretty honest now. That's not easy for the biggest scumbag in the FGC to do.

Interesting, Acqua thinks Evil Ryu is the best shoto while Tokido now says Ryu is, while everybody at SRK thinks Ken is.

No love for Akuma though and it's understandable. Anybody who watched that FT5 between Momochi and Tokido could tell Tokido seemed kind of lost during that set. It was a constant guessing game of whether Momochi was going to DWU or not. To me Akuma will always be Tokido's character in the SF4 series, but Akuma no longer fits Tokido's style. The cheapness is gone, and he has to play pretty honest now. That's not easy for the biggest scumbag in the FGC to do.

Tokido can just bring his turtle style from 3s to USF4 and he'll do fine.

Why use U2 when that does the same thing in many situations?

You cannot forward roll instantly, you can only do it after backflip. U2 is a 7f punish. :|

It just makes it harder for him to score serious damage. All because a dev at Capcom thought it was cheap or something.

kirblar

You cannot forward roll instantly, you can only do it after backflip. U2 is a 7f punish. :|

It just makes it harder for him to score serious damage. All because a dev at Capcom thought it was cheap or something.
He's an obnoxious gnat. He's really not supposed to be a high-damage output character by design.

SimSimIV

Any move that's thrown around mindlessly is going to get punished. It doesn't make the move any weaker if someone playing the character incompetently. It being -3 on block isn't a huge issue either. The only thing that can probably punish that is Chun's super. I don't think it would have been a huge issue if it was kept in either but I feel like it should have been adjusted so it would be more in line with other multi hitting normals.

Edit: Decided to go into training mode with sim. I'm pretty sure his frame data is wrong lol. Might be -3 on hit and -6 on block for st.mk.

That might very well be. Also, when I said "mindlessly" it was a figure of speach. What I mean is that you have to be very careful when spacing that normal. I don't know if I have this mentality because Sim is "no mistake character" where 1 misplaced normal could mean the end of the round. Even if it is -6 on block, what is more scary is if I commit to that normal and the opponent has already jumped. Sim generally don't want to "Guess" with a normal because the reward is minimal and the risk is huge. Mk isn't the worst normal for that, but it is enough not to use it that often unless it's around max range. That, together with the fact that it gets counterpoked easily (Deejay can sweep slightly closer than max range for example) made the 2 hitting buff good but not OP imo.

But now that it's gone, there is no use in dwelling. I just want to hear if Sim got anything else than the hard knock Down on his ex blast:)

xCobalt

That might very well be. Also, when I said "mindlessly" it was a figure of speach. What I mean is that you have to be very careful when spacing that normal. I don't know if I have this mentality because Sim is "no mistake character" where 1 misplaced normal could mean the end of the round. Even if it is -6 on block, what is more scary is if I commit to that normal and the opponent has already jumped. Sim generally don't want to "Guess" with a normal because the reward is minimal and the risk is huge. Mk isn't the worst normal for that, but it is enough not to use it that often unless it's around max range. That, together with the fact that it gets counterpoked easily (Deejay can sweep slightly closer than max range for example) made the 2 hitting buff good but not OP imo.

But now that it's gone, there is no use in dwelling. I just want to hear if Sim got anything else than the hard knock Down on his ex blast:)

In regards to the frame data, I was wrong. I didn't hold back long enough after the mk. The recording still plays during a super/ultra freeze so dhalsim was getting hit by stuff while moving forward.

Tokido can just bring his turtle style from 3s to USF4 and he'll do fine.

Chun was still very cheap in 3S. Akuma in USF4 will be no where near as good or cheap as she was in that game. If he sticks with Akuma and plays a style more similar to Infiltration, I think he'll still do very well. But he'll definitely go through some growing pains to adjust to the changes in USF4. I wouldn't be surprised though if he changed to a vortex character that mainly gets pressure from soft knockdowns though like Yun, Cammy, or Viper.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
NYG9 details:

Friday, August 15: General Gathering. Food and drinks, friendly casuals, FT10s and exhibitions for stream.
Saturday, August 16: Team Tournament
Sunday, August 17: Singles Tournament Harpooneer's Rising Cigar awards.

Venue: Next Level

Clawww

just heard about Rise of Incarnates

very interesting. not feeling the art whatsoever, but I wanna fuck with some Gundam gameplay

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

RnBEGyP.jpg

Edit: Man I really hope she doesn't get any nerfs going into the console version :lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";110503831]So if Ultra's still gettng changes is there any chance Vega gets his jab buff back?[/QUOTE]

Does he even need it? I was doing the link the other day 80% of the time I went for it and I never used vega before for more than 5 minutes.

xCobalt

Does he even need it? I was doing the link the other day 80% of the time I went for it and I never used vega before for more than 5 minutes.

Yeah same. I don't know if its just me but I feel like 1 frame links starting with jabs/shorts are really easy. Although I'm sure my consistency with them would be much lower during actual matches.

Clawww

jab > strong is easy peasy

jab > jab is annoying and I would like it to also be easy peasy

combofiend if you're reading this please make it easy peasy

Capcom has no fucking idea what they are doing. How the fuck do you plan to make balance changes to a game that hasn't been out for a month. Im Expecting tons of overreactive nerfs and still poor balance.

Deckard Cain has no fucking idea what he is saying. How the fuck do you plan to get angry over changes to a game that hasn't been out for a month. I'm expecting tons of overreactive posts and still poor attitude.

Horseress

I don't see the point in keeping Vega's jab link 1f.

Wasn't that the buff Combofiend said the Vega players didn't want?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";110507152]Deckard Cain has no fucking idea what he is saying. How the fuck do you plan to get angry over changes to a game that hasn't been out for a month. I'm expecting tons of overreactive posts and still poor attitude.[/QUOTE]

iKkAltPpcFhj9.gif

Dahbomb

Capcom has no fucking idea what they are doing. How the fuck do you plan to make balance changes to a game that hasn't been out for a month. Im Expecting tons of overreactive nerfs and still poor balance.
Like how they have been doing all year long with the location tests?

The arcade version is basically just the public beta version. Everyone knew the game was going to keep changing after the arcade version. The question is how much is it going to change after the console version.

Capcom has been making balance changes all this time at various locations. Every build they have new changes. They put it in the wild, get feedback and change. Same thing as the arcade version.

Now if they change stuff after the console version then we can start complaining about knee jerk nerfs/buffs.

alstein

Wasn't that the buff Combofiend said the Vega players didn't want?

It's not about what Vega players want, it's what Vega deserves.

I hate it when players crap on buffs because they want to keep their character "hard".

If that's the way they are, Vega's new alt should include a fedora.

Horseress

It's not about what Vega players want, it's what Vega deserves.

I hate it when players crap on buffs because they want to keep their character "hard".

If that's the way they are, Vega's new alt should include a fedora.

Yeah, that's fucking stupid

"don't you dare make my character playable for people who can't do 1 frame links consistently"

You know what is even more stupid? Combofiend HEARD those guys! wtf?!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah arcade doesn't even have dacapre yet. No clue why Deckard is getting mad that it's still being treated like a w.i.p

alstein

Sounds like the Japanese mentality creeping in, I remember when Super came out , I got to ask Seth directly, and I asked him why Adon's movelist had Alpha 1 commands instead of Alpha 2, when folks found A2 easier. I also asked about HDR commands for Chicken Wing/Hooligan and said they'd be easier to not miss.

He said it was because of "tradition" and "didn't want it to be too easy".

These things don't impact high level play at all, but they do make it easier for the average player.

Say what you will about Skullgirls, but Mike Z understood this well.

Horseress

Combofiend probably knows a diehard Deejay player and he told Combo to maintain Deejay like he's now, because that's his deejay

Dahbomb

Sounds like the Japanese mentality creeping in, I remember when Super came out , I got to ask Seth directly, and I asked him why Adon's movelist had Alpha 1 commands instead of Alpha 2, when folks found A2 easier. I also asked about HDR commands for Chicken Wing/Hooligan and said they'd be easier to not miss.

These things don't impact high level play at all, but they do make it easier for the average player.

Meanwhile in UMVC3 no one really cared that they removed the rekka requirements for both Iron Man and Dante moves. Now it's just double tap to get the extra move to come out.

kirblar

Combofiend probably knows a diehard Deejay player and he told Combo to maintain Deejay like he's now, because that's his deejay
*eventhubs tinfoil hat on*
Their Dee Jay player is a secret Cammy player

This is starting to slowly change/get through to them. SFxT and MvC3 both deliberately simplified input commands when possible. USFIV's Red Focus makes landing Ultras far easier for the low-mid tier casual players who don't have the best execution.

It sounds silly, but doing SF4 let them do market research on fighters because they had an active game to get feedback from. And we've slowly seen their games get more approachable over time.

Next SF will have QCF for all moves then everyone will be satisfied!!

Yeah, but I don't understand why. Even the best Vega players miss that link in games. If they could keep the move +1 on block, I see literally no advantages to keeping it a 1f link.

There is a super easy fix to this problem. Make c.lp +5 but make c.mp 5 frames to conpensate. Makes the combo easier withour making it too easy.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";110507152]Deckard Cain has no fucking idea what he is saying. How the fuck do you plan to get angry over changes to a game that hasn't been out for a month. I'm expecting tons of overreactive posts and still poor attitude.[/QUOTE]

Keeping the beard tight I see.

Ragingnight, I will dodge all day since Marvel is boiling in my blood. Maybe we can get some matches in after the MM between nemo and apology.

Westlo

*looks @ Ken update on srk*

Cr.mk was reverted

Sweep is at least -7, possibly -8

Ken walk speed was toned down

He CAN fadc second hit of dp on block

Air Ex tatsu is back to normal except for kara tatsu. If you try to tatsu on way up you get that funky tatsu.

Air regular tatsu was nerfed. Now has the same trajectory as ryu, akuma, etc.

U2 moves more forward faster so it's noticeably easier to punish fireballs.

I know the arcade release is "open beta" but this amount of changes is fucking embarrassing capcom. And I'm saying this as someone who will like this Ken better probably... since my scrub ass needs that second hit fadc on f.srk... though even some top japanese ken players were complaining about that making him too weak.

Hopefully they just leave Cammy alone.

Top Bottom