• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 28 - May 4 | The Desolation of Smug

hitsugi

I get what you are saying but the examples you provided are either bad or just untrue.

Yun/Yang being strong in AE had more to do with design intention than them being poorly ported. Otherwise Makoto would've been broken in Vanilla SF4 from the get go based on your theory about command grabs and parries.

Yang wasn't really comparable to Yun in AE. He was fun, but he couldn't steamroll people the same way Yun could. I know it's a trend to lump both of them together in that opinion, but the difference is up there with the two of them in 3s.

http://www.twitch.tv/iebattlegrounds

Watson is streaming w/ Ultradavid on commentary. Watson talked about the Nesica cabs and how ridiculously expensive they are. He also explained why there won't be Ultra cabs in Super Arcade (they'd go broke again, in a nutshell).

Can you even access Nesica outside of Japan? I remember hearing that you can't even connect to the SSF4 AE card system if you're outside of Japan.

LordJim

Yang wasn't really comparable to Yun in AE. He was fun, but he couldn't steamroll people the same way Yun could. I know it's a trend to lump both of them together in that opinion, but the difference is up there with the two of them in 3s.

Quite a few in Japan believed Yang had higher potential and that Yun only had better time against grapplers.
Yang had some ridiculously cheap shit (like 350+ guaranteed chip damage in the corner with full meter).
And Yang was the superior twin in 2nd Impact

Basically he'll have to run bootleg xbox cabinets.

I think he said the price for the required cabs alone was upwards of 70k. And THEN there was the cost of keeping it hooked to a server for the cards and DLC (excluding the hassle of needing a JPN IP address). AND THEN there was something additional that was required (I think there was a certain amount of players that needed to be saved onto the cabs), otherwise the games wouldn't run.

vocab

I think he said the price for the required cabs alone was upwards of 70k. And THEN there was the cost of keeping it hooked to a server for the cards and DLC (excluding the hassle of needing a JPN IP address). AND THEN there was something additional that was required (I think there was a certain amount of players that needed to be saved onto the cabs), otherwise the games wouldn't run.

Jesus fuck.

Actually most top players thought Yang was stronger than Yun overall but we never saw it him played at that level because AE2012 came along.

hitsugi

Quite a few in Japan believed Yang had higher potential and that Yun only had better time against grapplers.
Yang had some ridiculously cheap shit (like 350+ guaranteed chip damage in the corner with full meter).
And Yang was the superior twin in 2nd Impact

Yang did have great potential, but garnered generally poor results. Command grab into nearly un-scaled ultra damage or really any close MK into effortless ultras were great tools, his DP was invincible (or just about) and his oki game was nuts, but there's a lot of stuff that's great in theory but just doesn't end up working out at high level. Of course, "high level" AE was brief due to AE2012, so I'm going purely by results rather than speculation/opinion.

I did specify 3s for a reason; Yang in 2nd Impact was completely out of hand... along with Ibuki.

Yang did have great potential, but garnered generally poor results. Command grab into nearly un-scaled ultra damage or really any close MK into effortless ultras were great tools, his DP was invincible (or just about) and his oki game was nuts, but there's a lot of stuff that's great in theory but just doesn't end up working out at high level. Of course, "high level" AE was brief due to AE2012, so I'm going purely by results rather than speculation/opinion.

I did specify 3s for a reason; Yang in 2nd Impact was completely out of hand... along with Ibuki.

2I yang was ok but he wasn't flying off the handle like Ibuki, Sean or Akuma. He was the better twin due to tons of hit confirms (90% if not 100% removed in 3S), damage scaling and lack of red parry which is kind of ironic because those are the reasons Yun is better than Yang in 3S.

Shouta

Got back from Spider-Man 2. Did I miss anything good from NWM today?

Tokido vs Reynald was the big one. We mostly did small events and local stuff today. The main tournaments are all happening tomorrow.

Got to play more Ultra T.hawk. He's really sick now like easily Top 15 in the game. I'm tiredb ut I think Combofiend said he thought could be as well. He has all the tools he needs to do whatever he needs to. Bad match-ups will be bad match-ups but you'll still have options.

Rhapsody

Banned
Tokido vs Reynald was the big one. We mostly did small events and local stuff today. The main tournaments are all happening tomorrow.

Got to play more Ultra T.hawk. He's really sick now like easily Top 15 in the game. I'm tiredb ut I think Combofiend said he thought could be as well. He has all the tools he needs to do whatever he needs to. Bad match-ups will be bad match-ups but you'll still have options.

Thanks. Couldn't remember which day that exhibition was going to be on before. Going to watch it right now then.

smurfx

get some go again
hey shouta any word on when the champ/nemo match will take place? been reading some posts on reddit saying it's not taking place.

Shouta

hey shouta any word on when the champ/nemo match will take place? been reading some posts on reddit saying it's not taking place.

Nemo said nothing was planned for this weekend as far as I can tell.

Shouta, my dude. Please ask Combofiend tomorrow why he don't care about deejay why they won't give deejay a proper way to deal with wakeup pressure :(

Learn you character better?

I'll ask him for thoughts and a point or two to consider about Deejay tomorrow based on his experience since you guys are all doom and gloom, lol.

Clawww

Shouta, my dude. Please ask Combofiend tomorrow why he don't care about deejay why they won't give deejay a proper way to deal with wakeup pressure :(

why do you feel entitled to a good wake-up lmao

half the cast is free on wake-up and upkicks is better than a lot of things. you got DWU now, too

Deejay actually has quite a few wakeup options.

You can get bodied, flash yellow before you get bodied or get a move out that gets beaten, leading to you getting bodied.

alstein

Deejay actually has quite a few wakeup options.

You can get bodied, flash yellow before you get bodied or get a move out that gets beaten, leading to you getting bodied.

Or block.

I really wish wakeup DPs were more powerful in SF4 in general though. (but be -huge on block)

Ok so :

The USF4 version here at Stunfest is a new one with Decapre. Some players are actually playing, and there's some changes :

Dhalsim S.Mk : 1 hit
Ex BLAST is now Hard KD again.

Sagat's low tiger shot : between -8 and -9 point blank (if blocked)

Guile's health back to 950, CH on Sonic boom startup.

(It's from Saunic Twitter)

SimSimIV

Ok so :

The USF4 version here at Stunfest is a new one with Decapre. Some players are actually playing, and there's some changes :

Dhalsim S.Mk : 1 hit
Ex BLAST is now Hard KD again.

Sagat's low tiger shot : between -8 and -9 point blank (if blocked)

Guile's health back to 950, CH on Sonic boom startup.

(It's from Saunic Twitter)

I don't really see why they jumped the gun and removed 2 hitting mk, but I will take the ex blast hard knock over 2 hitting mk any day. But they better have given him something else too:p At this point they are always taking something away while buffing Sim it seems.

Devid905

Lifebar change:
vUgHD7B.jpg

kirblar

Making that "they have Ultra available" thing more obvious than the slant in the middle?
I don't really see why they jumped the gun and removed 2 hitting mk
It's going to be a low-mid-level issue for that matchup, even if better players can work around it.

SimSimIV

Making that "they have Ultra available" thing more obvious than the slant in the middle?

It's going to be a low-mid-level issue for that matchup, even if better players can work around it.

I Guess, but they are taking feedback from hardcore fighting game players, so you would think they are trying to cater the game to high Level players:p

Also, the slant in the middle of the health bar doesn't mean much when it comes to ultras, as you can focus stuff and get ultra with 100% life.

kirblar

I Guess, but they are taking feedback from hardcore fighting game players, so you would think they are trying to cater the game to high Level players:p

Also, the slant in the middle of the health bar doesn't mean much when it comes to ultras, as you can focus stuff and get ultra with 100% life.
Yeah, it's just one of those UI design quirks that the "why do lifebars draw inward" video mentioned that was easy to miss. I wonder if they just straight-up wanted a bigger visual difference betwee SSF4 and USF4 as well to easily ID new videos on Youtube and such.

Top Bottom