• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 3-10 | Rising to the Occasion

It makes sense in the context of something unique like that existing, but people just microdash for any time you do a 66 input that you end up cutting short. All it's supposed to do is scoot you forward a bit while inputting something else.
Well it helps that it usually looks like a really really short dash if at all.

Anne

Well it helps that it usually looks like a really really short dash if at all.

Yeah, I'm just being grumpy pants because of how the term came about. I'd rather it refer to the specific case of there being no frames existing and just causing dash momentum on a move, and leave short dashes as dashes.

I can be a bit weird about terminology.

microdashing? Ooh :eek:

Reminds me of the term 'microducking' we use in my soul calibur group for when you tap down quickly enough to not trigger the ducking animation but still lower your hitbox/state so throws and high attacks miss. I don't think it's a common term though :3

petghost

Banned
I never heard microdash used as a term in ggxx games. Maybe it never came up or maybe I'm just ignorant. There were a couple instances of needing dash momentum in a jump for combos and what not.

Tripon

http://www.orochinagi.com/2015/08/new-kof98-metal-slug-update-figurines-survey-smartphone-msd-kof

New version of KOF 98 for smartphones.
11836915_10154190838349546_8645370225872901569_n.jpg

That's different then lol. Still kinda funny though.

And I'll have the game soon so that'd be cool.
Cool! Let me know when you get it. It was actually pretty awesome when the SFV beta failed. We had a full Xrd room for the first time in ages.

My Zato definitely moved up a tier since the last time I played, too, and I have re-watched Ogawa's Evo grand finals video a few times to get new ideas. The only thing I have no idea how to handle with Zato is Chipp's teleports.

I don't get you man. :-/

It's some horrible term the anime community uses for when do a tiny dash input into something. Fun fact, you can actually buffer 66 on wake up in Persona then input DP. You get the microdash to scoot you forward and it doesn't actually have any frames to it, you still get frame one DP and blow through meaties.

It makes sense in the context of something unique like that existing, but people just use microdash for any time you do a 66 input that you end up cutting short. All it's supposed to do is scoot you forward a bit while inputting something else.
What Anne said.

I picked up the term because the Dustloop Tager forums always listed the input you had to do to OTG with him in some scenarios as a microdash. It's kind of appropriate, because when done properly you can barely tell you moved at all (kind of like Dante's OTG after level 3). When I get the microdash perfectly with Zato, it almost looks like he teleport slides forward - you can't even see the dash animation come out. I'm not quite tight on the timing to do that consistently, but last time I practiced 2[P][K] -P- loops for an hour straight.

Now I realize that I need to go for -K- more after the knockdown, but the life of me I can't get the timing of j.K after -K- down mid-screen. I usually just end up getting Eddie killed. -_-

For now, I might just use 2[P][K], -K- strings to push my opponent to the corner, and then go for the j.K into low or double overhead.

Dash tiers

Top: RUN
Bottom: Zangief down, down (marvel)
Where are the rest? :p

Why not CountBlackule?

Just kidding. Congrats on the kid. May he as fierce a fighter as his father.
I will suggest that to my wife as a middle name. ;-)

Two-button supers need to happen. Its time we fight back against Capcom's ableist archaic game design and start accommodating a more diverse demographic.

WarRock

Dash tiers

Top: RUN
Bottom: Zangief down, down (marvel)
I like Taki's Possession Run in Soul Calibur. It's a dash that feels like a run. It's qcb followed by double tap. I don't know, it just feels good.

That's how Vega fighting style was called in the Street Fighter pen and paper RPG by White Wolf, hah.

Seems like a very common vice for nerds, its the reason why tvtropes exists.

Personally I am all about that boost dashing.
Shoot, dash, shoot, dash, shoot for days.

vulva

I never understood vulva's anti- 2-button dash stance. Like, it's an option, you can just not use it you know lol. It's pretty stupid to be so against something that wouldn't affect you. Are you also that militant against people who use a different control/button layout than you?

Or maybe you're just kidding >_>

mostly just ball busting, though I've explained a few times why I think the option wouldn't make sense in a street fighter game. Mostly I can't imagine a way to incorporate it in a way that wouldn't mess with charge characters or negative edge moves. It would ultimately compromise another established element of the game in exchange to provide a secondary option to something that's already there.

Wouldn't that overlap with EX moves?
EX = PP
Super = PPP?

Dunno if this is sarcasm, but screw 2x motion supers. I'd take QCF. PP/KK any day of the week.
No doubt. I actually don't think it's possible to hit confirm Bison's Knee Press x super. You just have to wing it. It's too bad the second hit of Knee Press isn't super cancelable. That would be more reasonable.

Even though I've practiced DP x FADC x Super for years (I just go intro training mode and practice difficult execution stuff sometimes; it's fun for me on some sick level), double QCF is still kind of an annoying motion. Not as bad as Zato's HCB, F super, though...my input on that is so sloppy because I don't play any other characters with HCB motions.

mostly just ball busting, though I've explained a few times why I think the option wouldn't make sense in a street fighter game. Mostly I can't imagine a way to incorporate it in a way that wouldn't mess with charge characters or negative edge moves. It would ultimately compromise another established element of the game in exchange to provide a secondary option to something that's already there.
Shuma-Gorath never has problems in Marvel. /shrug

Parasoul doesn't have problems in Skullgirls (I actually tend to double tap dash with her just because her moves charge so quickly).

It seems pretty excessive for a game where dashing isn't the primary means of movement like Marvel. Dashing is used to close distance in a shorter period of time than the norm. Even a dash heavy character like Rose, only needs to input one dash to get in her opponent's face.

vulva

EX = PP
Super = PPP?

No doubt. I actually don't think it's possible to hit confirm Bison's Knee Press x super. You just have to wing it. It's too bad the second hit of Knee Press isn't super cancelable. That would be more reasonable.

Even though I've practiced DP x FADC x Super for years (I just go intro training mode and practice difficult execution stuff sometimes; it's fun for me on some sick level), double QCF is still kind of an annoying motion. Not as bad as Zato's HCB, F super, though...my input on that is so sloppy because I don't play any other characters with HCB motions.

Shuma-Gorath never has problems in Marvel. /shrug

Parasoul doesn't have problems in Skullgirls (I actually tend to double tap dash with her just because her moves charge so quickly).

Parasoul/Shuma aren't in SF. The games themselves function differently. In SF balance of charge characters revolves around the input limitations. Imagine guile being able to dash dash dash flashkick. They'd need to completely rebalance the functionality and practicality of their specials or how charge inputs or partitioning could function.

Then there's the fact that it could impact things like negative edge moves (zonk, tap, juri's fireball) which if I remember your only solution was to just remove those all together?

Top Bottom