• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 3-10 | Rising to the Occasion

I'm pretty much saying that Capcom is learning from all of SFxT's missteps and bad design and how they're trying to not make the same mistakes with SFV..

Yes, but... I think it's too early to tell. They learned, but i want to know more about the business model and the content they'll provide via DLCs.

Parasoul/Shuma aren't in SF. The games themselves function differently. In SF balance of charge characters revolves around the input limitations. Imagine guile being able to dash dash dash flashkick. They'd need to completely rebalance the functionality and practicality of their specials or how charge inputs or partitioning could function.

Then there's the fact that it could impact things like negative edge moves (zonk, tap, juri's fireball) which if I remember your only solution was to just remove those all together?
It's pretty easy to code the game so that dashing makes the charge input timer reset. You could even code it such that the timer can't start until the dash completes if you really wanted to be careful.

The negative edge solution wasn't to remove negative edge moves, but rather that players can choose how they want to allocate their finger resources. In general, the rule should always be that reading PP as a dash input should have the lowest priority possible. I feel like that covers the negative edge concern, but if it doesn't, can you give me a very specific input example? I do feel all of these challenges can be surmounted, but if there's a situation where it can't, then I would concede that two-button dashes can't work in Street Fighter.

Congrats Karst.
Thank you!

EX = PP
Super = PPP?

No doubt. I actually don't think it's possible to hit confirm Bison's Knee Press x super. You just have to wing it. It's too bad the second hit of Knee Press isn't super cancelable. That would be more reasonable.

Even though I've practiced DP x FADC x Super for years (I just go intro training mode and practice difficult execution stuff sometimes; it's fun for me on some sick level), double QCF is still kind of an annoying motion. Not as bad as Zato's HCB, F super, though...my input on that is so sloppy because I don't play any other characters with HCB motions.
HCB and HCF aren't so bad since I've been playing Shishigami Bang for years and his best super (HCF+HCB.C) incorporates both motions. Backwards dragon punch can eat a dick, though. It shaved away at my spirit like a river running through a valley whenever I played Lei Lei.
Speaking of Skullgirls finally got this laminated and hung up.
Nice

Someday I'll get my Parasoul canvas print signed for maximum effect.

HCB and HCF aren't so bad since I've been playing Shishigami Bang for years and his best super (HCF+HCB.C) incorporates both motions. Backwards dragon punch can eat a dick, though. It shaved away at my spirit like a river running through a valley whenever I played Lei Lei.

Nice

Someday I'll get my Parasoul canvas print signed for maximum effect.
I think part of this can be a mental block. I found RDPs hard until my brain realized they were just DPs facing the other way...weird, I know. I also find dashing to the left harder than dashing to the left, but I find IADing to the left easier than IADing to the right.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This is kind of a blanket statement that doesn't apply to everything.
I mean it in context to the conversation and the second statement in general.

Yup, stop begging for two button dashing in everything, it makes almost zero sense in just about anything that isn't Marvel like.

The whole reason it exist is because the Marvel games are based around crouch canceling dashes in rapid succession to increase your momentum and it was also a way for them to have characters like magneto and storm zip around in 8 directions in the air fluidly. Hell the cpu does it in MvC1 on the highest settings and demo attract mode.

In a game where you have to commit to your dashes it just doesn't make sense. You are not chaining them together fast enough for it to even be a major design choice or necessity. Plus SF games don't have any button space for the input to begin with.

Not to mention not letting a charge character charge while in the process of a dash STRAIGHT UP KILLS all offensive momentum of those types of characters.

I think part of this can be a mental block. I found RDPs hard until my brain realized they were just DPs facing the other way...weird, I know. I also find dashing to the left harder than dashing to the left, but I find IADing to the left easier than IADing to the right.
RDPs and DPs from 2P side are my only motion related weaknesses in SG, but playing Bella for so long has made me better at DPs in general (You can't play Bella without effectively using Diamond Deflector and Devil Horns), so it's less of a problem than it used to be.

I mean it in context to the conversation and the second statement in general.

Yup, stop begging for two button dashing in everything, it makes almost zero sense in just about anything that isn't Marvel like.

The whole reason it exist is because the Marvel games are based around crouch canceling dashes in rapid succession to increase your momentum and it was also a way for them to have characters like magneto and storm zip around in 8 directions in the air fluidly. Hell the cpu does it in MvC1 on the highest settings and demo attract mode.

In a game where you have to commit to your dashes it just doesn't make sense. You are not chaining them together fast enough for it to even be a major design choice or necessity. Plus SF games don't have any button space for the input to begin with.

Not to mention not letting a charge character charge while in the process of a dash STRAIGHT UP KILLS all offensive momentum of those types of characters
I know that. I didn't say it should be done. I said it COULD be done if a developer wanted to be on the safe side. It's not something I would prefer, personally. I was just trying to eliminate any idea vulva might have that this could be too good for charge characters.

It isn't about chaining dashes. It's about how long it takes to initiate the first dash. 2 buttons is faster than 1 dash. It's a good change.

Skullgirls has 2-button dashes and no 8-way dashing.

LOL @ saying I'm begging. I just want to hear ComboFiend (or someone else) say they will consider it. I just want the thought to get heard. If it's heard, I'm happy.

RDPs and DPs from 2P side are my only motion related weaknesses, but playing Bella for so long has made me better at DPs (You can't play Bella without effectively using Diamond Deflector and Devil Horns), so it's less of a problem than it used to be.
Dormammu spends half his match doing DPs and RDPs no matter which side he faces, so I got good at them fast on a stick. Pewpewpew. I wish Smash had chip damage.

Dormammu spends half his match doing DPs and RDPs no matter which side he faces, so I got good at them fast on a stick. Pewpewpew. I wish Smash had chip damage.
I wouldn't mind this being one of those custom settings for multiplayer lobbies, but I don't even want to think of it in a competitive setting. The projectile characters will abuse it so hard lol.
Skullgirls also has more movement options than Street Fighter.
Less than anime and more than Street Fighter. Some characters don't even have airdashes or a double jump. It's a weird but highly functional package considering how it's supposed to be more MvC than Guilty Gear or Vampire Savior.

I wouldn't mind this being one of those custom settings for multiplayer lobbies, but I don't even want to think of it in a competitive setting. The projectile characters will abuse it so hard lol.

Less than anime and more than Street Fighter. Some characters don't even have airdashes or a double jump. It's a weird but highly functional package considering how it's supposed to be more MvC than Guilty Gear or Vampire Savior.
It is so depressing to see a fully charged Shadow Ball get perfect shielded right now, especially since perfect shielding is so easy to do.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
One of the main reasons it works in skull girls isn't so much for movement, but pretty much every normal is air dash cancelable right? It works better in that context as it's makes more sense from a combo design and input rhythm stand point.

It is so depressing to see a fully charged Shadow Ball get perfect shielded right now, especially since perfect shielding is so easy to do.
You know what? That is sad. I remember seeing some early match vids of Mewtwo in action and every missed or blocked shadow ball did make me sad. Doesn't help that Shadow Ball used to be one of my preferred moves in the Pokemon games. Come to think of it... I could say the same about Samus' fully charged charge shot.

Loona

Aren't KOF and a lot of other SNK IPs super popular in China? Like wasn't there that Chinese fighting game that was a near ripoff of KOF that eventually got actual KOF fighters for a crossover?

Xuan Dou Zhi Wanf, a.k.a. King of Combat - had Terry and Benimaru for a while, but apparently they've been removed some time ago.

Still, has SNK made anything since KOF 13? Are they on the mono-Pachinko chain? I feel like they've been silent for years. I mean I know there were rumors that they working making a new KOF but we haven't seen ANYTHING.

Mostly mobile stuff and Steam ports, and a new KoF in the works - meanwhile, they've been licensing their IPs occasionally to Chinese companies - I try to keep track of what they do here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SNKplaymore

No lie I'd play a game that's just the adorable Metal Slug-style KOF sprites.

I'd be OK with this, although extending that to other series would be nice - Top Hunter comes to mind, even if technically it's not a series (but its character have had cameos in KoF stages).

notworksafe

I just want to hear ComboFiend (or someone else) say they will consider it. I just want the thought to get heard. If it's heard, I'm happy.
What if they don't consider it? I think it'd be funnier for someone to bring it up and Combo to respond "Nah" just like everyone else here does.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It works great in every context. ;)

As someone who's been playing anime fighters for over 10 years now and fighting games since sf2. Yeah not gonna convince me. Specially games that use running.

Like say I wanted to chain low jabs with makoto in BB. F, F, DF+A is going to be less of a custerfuck of hand wizardry than A+B, D+A and keeps both hands in sync with their job of movement and ability queueing for the left, and attacking and ability activation for the right.

Hell it wouldnt even make Micro dashing attacks in GG or BB easier. As the burden of the inputs are now all on one hand which means instead of both hands doing fast inputs at the same time one hand now has to go twice as fast to make up for it.

Sure it's faster on paper and in general, but it's not some super amazing bandaid fix that makes dashing super easy and better that could be tossed in just about anything.

This isn't something I haven't thought about before. Not to mention most fighters just don't have space in their inputs for button dashing.

What if they don't consider it? I think it'd be funnier for someone to bring it up and Combo to respond "Nah" just like everyone else here does.
Hahaha. If ComboFiend just said "Nah", I would be 100% satisfied. :)

If he just randomly said "Oh, and to Karst - nah" at some point during the SFV media campaign, I would even be flattered.

As someone who's been playing anime fighters for over 10 years now and fighting games since sf2. Yeah not gonna convince me. Specially games that use running.

Like say I wanted to chain low jabs with makoto in BB. F, F, DF+A is going to be less of a custerfuck of hand wizardry than A+B, D+A and keeps both hands in sync with their job of movement and ability queueing for the left, and attacking and ability activation for the right.

Hell it wouldnt even make Micro dashing attacks in GG or BB easier. As the burden of the inputs are now all on one hand which means instead of both hands doing fast inputs at the same time one hand now has to go twice as fast to make up for it.

Sure it's faster on paper and in general, but it's not some super amazing bandaid fix that makes dashing super easy and better that could be tossed in just about anything.

This isn't something I haven't thought about before.
You can always double tap if you don't like the other option. That's why it's a good thing: it's an option, not something you're obligated to. You like to double tap, that's fine. I would probably double tap for Zato's 2[P][K], -P- strings, but I would two-button dash instead of IAD. I totally agree that doing 2[P][K], -P-, [P][P], 2[P][K], etc, would be much harder than double tapping. I couldn't even two-button dash most of my time playing Zato because it would lock two of my keys out unless I wanted Eddie to attack. Still, I would like the option. :)

Better yet, ask him on Twitter.
How do people even know if someone tweeted them? I have a Twitter account, but I'm a huge noob.

jbug617

Banned
Just tried the Dragonball Z fighting games on 3ds that Arcsys did. I wish they made it a digital game for consoles and PC. It's fun to play but not a fan of playing it on 3DS

Number45

Really enjoying the WSO SFV sessions from Monday night. Like the look of pretty much every character I've seen in action so far.

jbug617

Banned
Via Twitter
CLwZ16iUYAAYxI_.jpg:large

Getting bought beats closure for SNK. The Chinese VG market is still in flux. Now that western consoles are available there, who knows? KOF14 actually gets made?

Basically - a Chinese owner might not mean shovelware is the only thing SNK fans get.

Also Vega being a motion character... Ehhhhhh. Either his wall dive is cheap or it isn't, you know? I don't know if him not having to worry about charge now means much.

I also need more win-quotes from the characters at Gamescom. If you know any of those, it'd be helpful.

I've been collecting them in the vega trailer thread :3
Here's what I have so far (format is Winner vs Loser: "quote")

Cammy vs Vega: "Shut your mouth. I'm not here to listen to your drivel."
Ken vs Vega: "You think you're the prettiest, huh? Take a look at yourself now."
Necalli vs Ken: "Give u... up. I'll dr... drink your flames."
Necalli vs. Ryu: "I can he...hear it. The endless killing intent, must consume..."
Necalli vs Vega: "You can never ho... hope to cut me with such a feeble blade."
Vega vs Cammy: "Your delusions, your despair... They all belong to me now."
Vega vs Necalli: "Squalid beast. I will cut out your soul."

El Sloth

Banned
Watching TotalBiscuit streaming Ultra and i ain't never seen a stick like that.
It's called a Hitbox controller. It's basically the marriage between a keyboard and a regular arcade stick. You can see some videos of it in action on YouTube.

Numb

It's called a Hitbox controller. It's basically the marriage between a keyboard and a regular arcade stick. You can see some videos of it in action on YouTube.

Thanks. Don't see many people using buttons to move on a stick instead of the stick.
The PC scene bursting with it since it's closer to keyboards?

mbpm1

Thanks. Don't see many people using buttons to move on a stick instead of the stick.

It's known in the FGC although people don't generally use them.

FullSchedule has it in Marvel along with presumably, the members of Team Hitbox.

Tyrant uses it in MKX.

Numb

It's known in the FGC although people don't generally use them.

FullSchedule has it in Marvel along with presumably, the members of Team Hitbox.

Tyrant uses it in MKX.

Heard of it but never seen it. Didn't realize no stick.

Top Bottom