• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 3-10 | Rising to the Occasion

Sayad

How do you guys feel about SFV having 3 EX bars instead of 4? I kind of miss the 4th one. :-/
Love it, you get to the super faster, which insure more super usage and make the choice between EX moves and super depending on the situation easier to calculate... If that make sense.

You should appreciate it more as a Bison player, having a super make it almost impossible to jump in on him, more so if he also have access to V-Trigger time freeze. Even if you prefer his EX moves, just the ability to shut down so many options with full meter is great. ;p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If you want to see cool shit go down when people have meter stick to anime.

at this point if sf5 had air dashes and air to air combos it would be an anime game too. So many chain combos, flashy special mode, and character unique traits.

I'm glad sf5 is going the route it is, it's what the sequel to Third Strike should have been. Vskill stuff is basically an evolution of sf3's character taunts having unique effects.

Looks like the players are going to play each other so if you want to see Nemo, Momochi, and Nishikin play, watch the taito stream.

-October 17th
-double elimination
-Up until top 8 it's a ft2
-After that it's a ft3
-anyone can enter

-Premier tournament on CPT
-1st place gets 1 million yen
-2nd place gets 100k yen
-Top 8 get 10k yen
-30k yen to 2 players (special award)

Momochi is about to play Nemo

-Momochi said he will marry Choco if he wins Capcom Cup
-Momochi is looking like he will want to use Ken for SFV
-Nishikin wants to use a new character in SFV if Blanka isn't in
-Nemo also wants to see the full roster, but out of the characters announced likes Vega the most now that he's not a charge character. Either him or Necalli.

Wiseblade

If you do you should also include the FV Cup that's happening on the same weekend that way the thread can be more active.

Notable players at VS: Luffy, Valmaster, Problem X,Infexious, Pro Fluke, Imstilldadaddy, Ryan Hart (not confirmed yet, but no reason not to go), RMZ

Notable players at FV: Bonchan, Shiro, Tonpy, Gackt, Leslie, RB, Humanbomb, Dark Jiewa, Chuan, Gonzalez, KOK, Itabashi Zangief, GYRO, Kim1234
No way. If I'm making the thread, it's for the tournament I'm going to and that one alone.

Mixups aren't guesses.
Tell that to the people who act like Ibuki is the purest manifestation of evil in this world.

Sako will be a guest on the next Umechannel Xrd episode. He'll be in the studio. They likely played today on stream because they practiced together yesterday and the fans all wanted to see those sets live.

FAB is a guest on Gods Garden's Kao TV

twitch.tv/godsgarden

-Premier tournament on CPT
-1st place gets 1 million yen
-2nd place gets 100k yen
-Top 8 get 10k yen
-30k yen to 2 players (special award)

Nice, so I guess Taito is providing the cash themselves instead of Capcom/Sony for this event? The money for the winner is on par with what you would get in a Premier event with about 200 players entered so I expect all the big names to try to win this. Who knows, maybe some Americans will even give it a shot.

October going to be a busy month with 3 Premier Events in a one week span. But with this news I guess this leaves the Brazil event and TGS as the only two Premier events that doesn't have a pot bonus. The Brazil event is on the same weekend as SCR and Capcom still hasn't said anything about their BS rules for the event so it looks like it's still up for grabs among the locals.

vulva

It's pretty easy to code the game so that dashing makes the charge input timer reset. You could even code it such that the timer can't start until the dash completes if you really wanted to be careful.

The negative edge solution wasn't to remove negative edge moves, but rather that players can choose how they want to allocate their finger resources. In general, the rule should always be that reading PP as a dash input should have the lowest priority possible. I feel like that covers the negative edge concern, but if it doesn't, can you give me a very specific input example? I do feel all of these challenges can be surmounted, but if there's a situation where it can't, then I would concede that two-button dashes can't work in Street Fighter.

Thank you!
Cody's Zonk, he can store up to 3 depending on strength and also use 2 punches for EX. Balrog's TAP uses all three punches/kicks. Your suggestion would overlap with the EX zonk and TAP.

Not to mention the realistic possibility that 2 button dash along with negative edge moves could possibly lead to some real dumb OSes.

Anne

Cody's Zonk, he can store up to 3 depending on strength and also use 2 punches for EX. Balrog's TAP uses all three punches/kicks. Your suggestion would overlap with the EX zonk and TAP.

Not to mention the realistic possibility that 2 button dash along with negative edge moves could possibly lead to some real dumb OSes.

2 button backdash is actually an OS thing. I outlined it on my UNI doc. The traditonal input of dash requiring you to be standing and hitting neutral on the stick limits how and when you'll be inputting it in a pretty significant way. It's a very conscious design choice to allow for a different input method and it's not always the correct one for reasons like this.

Also yeah, fighting games are basically informed guessing games at some point.

El Sloth

Banned
Guess things come down to whether you think rock-paper-scissors has mind games or if it's always pure random chance.

(I believe the former)

It's some horrible term the anime community uses for when do a tiny dash input into something. Fun fact, you can actually buffer 66 on wake up in Persona then input DP. You get the microdash to scoot you forward and it doesn't actually have any frames to it, you still get frame one DP and blow through meaties.

It makes sense in the context of something unique like that existing, but people just use microdash for any time you do a 66 input that you end up cutting short. All it's supposed to do is scoot you forward a bit while inputting something else.

So it's not even a more complicated technique than just dashing. When Karst was talking about it I figured it was at least crouch canceling since he was talking about doing a bunch in a row. This is nothing -_-

Hell, Jojo's Bizarrre Adventure had special frame data for "microdashing" to keep combos from being too easy. Which is why you had to do bullshit like dash, crouch cancel, cLP just to keep up with your Stand. There's a bunch of random negative edge crap too. and weird special moves that take five inputs to initiate lol.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
The problem with RPS is that all options are equally good. What I like about a good fighting game mixup is the question - will my opponent go for his best option, or is that the one he's most likely to avoid because it's the one I'm most afraid of, and therefore most likely to defend against? It's not only "he picked Rock last game, so I don't expect him to pick Rock again this game" - but that's still part of it.

El Sloth

Banned
I mean it's informed decision making, but you're still gonna guess wrong and explode.
For sure. I don't think you can completely remove "randomness" from competition (that isn't with a computer). Educated or not, you're always still just guessing what the other guy is gonna do.

Sometimes you're just going to eat a wakeup scissors
this makes no sense, but I really wanted to type it out.

Tripon

Had a weird nightmare last night:

In dream I was at EVO 2K15 and Seth Killian was commentating, but... it was actually Seth Rogen as Seth Killian >_<

Seth Rogen as Seth Killian
James Franco as Ultra David
Steven Yeun as James Chen
John Goodman as EvilMrWizard
The Wayne Brothers as the Cannon Brothers
Booboo Stewart as Daigo
Jimmy Wong as Justin Wong

It'll be like that FIFA movie, except , you know. Watchable.

GB could make up "facts" for days about Jojo and no one would ever give enough of a shit to check if he was lying or not.

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to elaborate :)

Dio Brando's standing jab is 3 frames and +3 on hit. His "microdash" standing jab has 2 frame startup but is only +1 on hit. Some moves have different properties whether they were dashed into, like causing or not causing knockdown. With Stand characters you can also instantly go into stand-version normals from stand-off mode by hitting S+A/B/C as well as one specialized normal off QCF+S.

Stand characters in Jojo's have several modes as well. They can fight alone, use stand attacks while fighting alongside them intermittently, they can combine with their stand and fight as one, they can detach their stand to execute a series of inputs independently, and some characters can simply swap control entirely with their stand and become two fully separate characters.

The input for his laser is 6CBA6, five inputs.

And a quote from the wiki: "Something like [2A]14A means that you have to negative edge the move. It means that you have to hold A until you have done the entire 214 motion.-> [2A], hold A, 14, release A then Blazing Strike comes out and combos with 2A."

Crouch-canceling, walk-canceling, negative edge, bizarre inputs, tight links and insanely complex characters with multiple movesets make Jojo's one of the most technical 2d fighters of all time.

Top Bottom