• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 3-10 | Rising to the Occasion

notworksafe

Then what's Capcom board game? Settlers of Catan?

dYR79tO.jpg

Speaking of board games, I been playing a lot of Kindo recently. The way you jockey for board position reminds me a lot of footsies in fighting games.

On a totally unrelated note, have any of you ever played Yomi, the card game made by Sirlin based on Street Fighter?
I've looked into it but never played it, but I can definitely say that 'Flash Duel' by sirlin is worth a look. Very simple game but it somehow manages to have footsies and mindgames a plenty :p

Wiseblade

It's very fun. I haven't played in a while, and there's a lot more characters now, but the game is great. Valerie dabes!

I actually supported the Kickstarter last year and have the updated physical decks for the first 10 characters. I should start bringing them with me to tournaments and evangelise the game.

Setsuki and Lum are my guys, which should be no surprise to anyone. I've got a pocket Grave too, but so does everyone else.

Anne

Chess is hard. People complain about getting into a fighting game meta 6 months late. Try being centuries late.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think UNIEL is my fav new fighting game IP of lastgen

BB is my favorite, but UNIEL is an amazing game. While it can get crazy as hell and high level is oppressive, I'd say UNIEL is a really really beginner friendly game that lets people learn how to be creative.

One of the best combo systems.

Beckx

I guess Fantasy Flight Games would be ArcSys. Rules and systems everywhere and they get re-released with full price 2.0 editions to balance them properly.

mbpm1

Chess is hard. People complain about getting into a fighting game meta 6 months late. Try being centuries late.
When will Smug come in with new duff tech for the Bishop tho
Art ans Spooky need to commentate the set play too

Nyoro SF

Yeah but no matter how late you are to chess the strategy has been so distilled that you can perform the first 15 moves automatically because the openings and responses to those openings have been so carefully calculated

It's literally "20XX" in chess right now

Go play chess.
I love chess. Great game, and I play it often. Taught chess for a few years and played competitively for a long time.

Cody's Zonk, he can store up to 3 depending on strength and also use 2 punches for EX. Balrog's TAP uses all three punches/kicks. Your suggestion would overlap with the EX zonk and TAP.

Not to mention the realistic possibility that 2 button dash along with negative edge moves could possibly lead to some real dumb OSes.
I honestly am not familiar with these mechanics; I've never played either character. I would have to go into training mode and see how it plays out in practice. If Cody is just negative edging, then I don't see that as being fundamentally different from how a character like Zero or Vergil would operate in UMvC3. Am I misunderstanding?

Why couldn't Balrog just hold one button for TAP? In reading about it, it's not clear to me why 3 is necessary.

Guess things come down to whether you think rock-paper-scissors has mind games or if it's always pure random chance.

(I believe the former)
IMO, the difference between a mindgame and guessing is that you can directly influence your opponent's decision through visual indicators. For example, in the footsies mindgame, you might step forward to make your opponent think you are now in poke range, step back as they attack, and then counter-poke. You have successfully tricked your opponent into doing something unsafe based on actions you took on the screen.

Oki games can be mindgames, but sometimes they are just guesses. For example, something like an empty cross-up jump into throw is a mindgame, because you are making your opponent think you will attack through your motion, but you don't. On the other hand, Ibuki's dagger cross-up, as far as I can tell, is a pure guess. There are no real visual indicators that could lead the player to prefer blocking one way over the other, and the player doing the mixup might not even know how the move crosses up.

In fact, if the player doing the mixup doesn't know which way the move has to be blocked, it absolutely cannot be a mindgame, because there's no real "mind" to be read or considered.

Reads, in my opinion, are also not mindgames; they are separate and distinct categories.

People who believe the latter have never played Rock-Paper-Scissors.
I won a Rock-Paper-Scissors tournament last year at work purely based on guessing. Blank slate, picked what "felt good".

I think there's a reason people hold chess in higher regard than rock paper scissors.
No doubt

And there's a reason why we aren't playing chess right now.
Be careful with those "we"s.

Also Mahjong is the anime of board games cause there's like a bazillion intersecting game mechanics that you have no hope of understanding unless you're deep into it

rookiejet

The difference between a mindgame and strict guessing is that there's information (meta) to consider when making decisions. It can build even in a simple guessing game like rock-paper-scissors given enough time and games. Fighting games are at heart that, but the sheer density of decisions and layers of information attached to each one of them is what makes them interesting.

Yomi (sirlin's card game) doesn't feel as good to me because of the density (or lack there of) of decisions in one game, it /can/ feel a little arbitrary. But given enough games with a player that feel goes away. I still like it though, and I LOVE Puzzle Strike.

vulva

I honestly am not familiar with these mechanics; I've never played either character. I would have to go into training mode and see how it plays out in practice. If Cody is just negative edging, then I don't see that as being fundamentally different from how a character like Zero or Vergil would operate in UMvC3. Am I misunderstanding?

Why couldn't Balrog just hold one button for TAP? In reading about it, it's not clear to me why 3 is necessary.
Regarding the first part, this isn't Marvel. Please try your best to understand the multitude of ways that the games are different.

TAP is a very powerful way in for rog, the longer you charge it the more damage it does, it goes around fireballs by having mid movement invulnerability, and provides a dash punch which doesn't use backwards charge. With one button TAP he could rapidly fire those off or use his other punches and kicks in while holding the charge. The entire move is balanced around removing those options in exchange for a very powerful option.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
board games are cool as heck
but yeah 3D fighters have korean step and catan doesn't sooooo

Marz

Who really thought it would be anything but weak?

Yea dood didn't put out his next "album" all those years because he knew it would be weak tbh.

Also some of these features are terrible. Who are some of these clowns?

Also, them Alstein-type online players that leave after winning one game after you've been bopping them 10 straight gotta be the scrubbiest people ever, what's the thought process behind that? Lmao.

Top Bottom