• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 3-10 | Rising to the Occasion

Village

He FADC'd into Jail to avoid the Boardwalk unblockable

EVERYTHING IN EXISTENCE IS ANIME. This is a fact and if something isnt yet, it will be.

Considering Anime Is just eastern animation, yes. Because life reflects art.

Also because the internet has allowed for Eastern and western artists to ape the shit out of each other and if you walk into an art school nowadays you honestly can't tell which came from where.

Apperently there is a " weeb " term for folks in the east who are super into comic book stuff.

Everything is Marvel

soakrates

Any time you make a decision without enough information to know for certain that your decision is the correct one, you are guessing. You can factor in available data to increase the chances that your guess will be correct, but you're still guessing. If you think that this doesn't happen all the time in fighting games, my guess is that you will probably end up on Scrubquotes one day.

Regarding the first part, this isn't Marvel. Please try your best to understand the multitude of ways that the games are different.

TAP is a very powerful way in for rog, the longer you charge it the more damage it does, it goes around fireballs by having mid movement invulnerability, and provides a dash punch which doesn't use backwards charge. With one button TAP he could rapidly fire those off or use his other punches and kicks in while holding the charge. The entire move is balanced around removing those options in exchange for a very powerful option.
I am trying to understand, but I don't play those characters, so I am trying to understand their mechanics. Is there a fundamental reason why Cody, Zero, and Vergil are not parallels?

Couldn't holding one TAP button lock out other inputs for attacking? Or why not just say that when TAP is being held, you, unfortunately, can't two-button dash? Like I said, not every character can benefit from two-button dashes in exactly the same way. I would rarely use it with Zato, but I still think it is a good inclusion.

Skilletor

Yea dood didn't put out his next "album" all those years because he knew it would be weak tbh.

Also some of these features are terrible. Who are some of these clowns?

Also, them Alstein-type online players that leave after winning one game after you've been bopping them 10 straight gotta be the scrubbiest people ever, what's the thought process behind that? Lmao.

"Well, I've finally caught on to him. No need to play more since I've obviously downloaded this scrub and the only reason they were winning was because I needed to catch on to their gimmicks."

Also, them Alstein-type online players that leave after winning one game after you've been bopping them 10 straight gotta be the scrubbiest people ever, what's the thought process behind that? Lmao.
Maybe they were tired of holding that L. Still a runback is in order in my opinion.

Of course I am also willing to just get beaten up for 60 games in a row, so whatever.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Do we know if KI will require DX12 or not? I think my graphics card is just below the cutoff for DX12 support.

The difference between a mindgame and strict guessing is that there's information (meta) to consider when making decisions. It can build even in a simple guessing game like rock-paper-scissors given enough time and games. Fighting games are at heart that, but the sheer density of decisions and layers of information attached to each one of them is what makes them interesting.

Yomi (sirlin's card game) doesn't feel as good to me because of the density (or lack there of) of decisions in one game, it /can/ feel a little arbitrary. But given enough games with a player that feel goes away. I still like it though, and I LOVE Puzzle Strike.
My opinion:
Meta information doesn't make something a mindgame. Reads are not mindgames. Here is an example which certainly correlates to no one here:

Let's say two people are playing Marvel:
Wesker/Magneto/Phoenix

vs.

Dormammu/Morrigan/Phoenix

The Wesker player LOVES to do gunshot + EMD into teleport, and counts on the EMD to cover him. Dormammu's c.M will hit Wesker, though, and nullify the EMD. The Dormammu player watches for the Wesker player to do this often, and in almost every single match, the Wesker player ends up doing gunshot + EMD into teleport and dying. The Dormammu player hasn't won a "mindgame" against the Wesker player, though. The Dormammu player has just noticed a habit, and is capitalizing on it - every time Wesker fires a gunshot, the Dormammu player throws c.M out to punish the eventual teleport - a good read. So here we have a read that isn't a mindgame.

Similarly, imagine a Guile player that always throws a Sonic Boom after a knockdown. Consistently. The Guile player knocks you down, so you immediately EX something-projectile-invincible while getting up to hit Guile. Did you just mindgame the guile? Not in my opinion - you're just recognizing a bad habit and punishing it.

A mindgame means you are actively manipulating your opponent to perform an action, and you are ready to counter it.

Tripon

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/capcom-wants-street-fighter-v-to-be-no-1-in-esports/0153980

Street Fighter V is set to become the biggest title in the eSports fighting scene, if Capcom has its way.

Marketing director Antoine Molant told MCV @ Gamescom that the firm plans to have a presence at a number of leading eSports events in an attempt to make Street Fighter V a hit amongst pro-gamers.

“A big direction for us is the eSports aspect of Street Fighter V,” he said

“eSports is booming at the moment and we want to make sure that Street Fighter is at the forefront of that. Right now – in terms of fighting games – we’re not at the level of League of Legends, but that’s where we want to be. We want to be the headline name in fighting eSports games.”

“We have the Capcom Pro Tour – an annual tournament we introduced in 2014. There are also two UK events, which take place at EGX and Versus Fighting. We’ll look to integrate Street Fighter V with them.”

Good sign that next year will have even bigger prizes for SFV.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
There is some next level YOMI joke in here I just can't find it

It's just too "high level"

key-peele.jpg

Nyoro SF

Has there ever been a fair final boss in a fighting game?

Galactus is pretty fair. Heavily telegraphed easy to block attacks and you can just jump loop him over and over... even beginners were able to figure that out. Plus you have three characters, you'd have to be a tremendously bad masher to lose.

TvC final boss was actually fairly challenging at the hardest difficulty, I distinctly remember somewhat fast AoEs, command grabs, unblockables and so forth. It's been a while but I still think that if you just blocked properly it was a fairly easy boss.

shaowebb

Galactus is pretty fair. Heavily telegraphed easy to block attacks and you can just jump loop him over and over... even beginners were able to figure that out. Plus you have three characters, you'd have to be a tremendously bad masher to lose.

TvC final boss was actually fairly challenging at the hardest difficulty, I distinctly remember somewhat fast AoEs, command grabs, unblockables and so forth. It's been a while but I still think that if you just blocked properly it was a fairly easy boss.

Dont forget the crumples and the ability to remove your meter.

ShinMaruku

I completely understand the you win once after getting beat 15 times in a row and quitting. Sometimes somebody expended all of their fighting game capital to get that one win. Run back would not benefit them in the slightest if they used everything to get ya once. Sometimes you got to cut and run when you have the advantage.
Me, if I lost at 10 I'd just leave then and there. I know when I'm outclassed and will learn nothing from the match up. But that's just me.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Snoop Dogg in FFNY was also fair.

He is broken as fuck for versus lol

I completely understand the you win once after getting beat 15 times in a row and quitting. Sometimes somebody expended all of their fighting game capital to get that one win. Run back would not benefit them in the slightest if they used everything to get ya once. Sometimes you got to cut and run when you have the advantage.
Me, if I lost at 10 I'd just leave then and there. I know when I'm outclassed and will learn nothing from the match up. But that's just me.

Cammy is a horrendous matchup for Rolento, this dude had a 21 win streak on me until I gave in for a lunch break since I'm persistent when it comes to playing. I played him with Gief and did much better so I learned something new, don't use Rolento against Cammy.

Crocodile

Good sign that next year will have even bigger prizes for SFV.

While many non-FGC esports events I've watched have been boring as all get out this is still a good thing. I wish Nintendo was a bit more esport friendly, Smash has such broad appeal that it could probably succeed on that stage.

This is gross and I don't know how else to feel about it.

I don't want to be anime Q.....

where_the_wild_things_are_by_squidpig.jpg

Too late :p

Unless you're Yatterman 1 in which case you just easily perfect his final form.

ShinMaruku

What's wrong with the Juri bipson matchup
He has better buttons none of her options work very well and most importantly, I suck so instead of bringing pain on myself just take the better match up 90% of the time I ain't gonna learn from suffering though the Juri Bipson match up.

Always wondered this. Why is Bisons nickname Bipson?

Chris Hu probably. He called him Bipson and it stuck. God bless Chris Hu.

Top Bottom