• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 3-10 | Rising to the Occasion

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I'm an absolute scrub at fighting games and really trying to learn and drunk and this thread is making my head hurt

Dahbomb

People rarely go for supers in today's games since meter builds slowly, and ex moves are used much more frequently.
Then that will be the game that we play. Less cinematic supers means improved game flow and pace with the occasional super to finish a game to justify a hype moment.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
fitting name lol, just mash buttons and see what works

I'll have you know I know how to do a a single string into a special canceled move in MKXx.
I'm the guy who has ddone a LOT of reserach (footsies handbook, fighting game primer, youtube stuff) and still gets boddied by friends whoo buttoon mash even though I have FUNDAMENTALS.

How do you guys feel about SFV having 3 EX bars instead of 4? I kind of miss the 4th one. :-/

/Bisonbias

I'll have you know I know how to do a a single string into a special canceled move in MKXx.
I'm the guy who has ddone a LOT of reserach (footsies handbook, fighting game primer, youtube stuff) and still gets boddied by friends whoo buttoon mash even though I have FUNDAMENTALS.
If you get bodied by mashing, you absolutely do not have fundamentals. Fundamentals are the counter to mashing, because it means you know exactly how to position yourself if your opponent is predictable.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

I was being serious when I said mash buttons and see what works lol

If they button mash then you haven't learned about spacing working with footsies. Just back off a bit and let them whiff their buttons and find a button with a good reach to punish their mashing. You should have a much easier time.

Edit:

Basically what Karsticles said but sadly a lot of people don't know what fundamentals are, its sort of lost in translation and think its just footsies and not neutral (which is the whole combination of spacing, footsies and zoning).

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
It feels weird because Project M led me to believe that I could easily transition into regular 2D fighting games and breeze past the scrub-tier or fighting games but here I am trying to open up combos with Kung Lao as 11212 df1 and just getting slapped around.
I've spent like 6 hours in the training room with Lao and I have no idea what the rest of the cast does, especially the DLC characters because fuck if that isn't a loot of mooney

Village

Then that will be the game that we play. Less cinematic supers means improved game flow and pace with the occasional super to finish a game to justify a hype moment.

Those sounds like things I kind of don't give two craps about and I just wanna see the guy do the cool thing when the meter goes up.

I liked revenge meter. I will be sad when it goes.

I still need to get back to that game.

People rarely go for supers in today's games since meter builds slowly, and ex moves are used much more frequently.

Valle said sf4 players don't know how to manage meter because Ultra was always there to give you big damage. Now they'll have to decide between that super or if they would want to use meter in other ways.

That said, there is the v gauge.

Village

We have Marvel 3 for that.

Your words are not false, but we can have multiple games for that. That Said i'm not too down about it, if they end up just having multiple supers eventually. And the games interesting to look at, and if birdie is any indication it is. Also costumes.

Also if marvel 4 ever happens.

Dahbomb

There might be an update down the line where we can choose our Critical Arts like Super did for SF4 or how SF3 does it. They probably will need that eventually I would imagine.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
It feels weird because Project M led me to believe that I could easily transition into regular 2D fighting games and breeze past the scrub-tier or fighting games but here I am trying to open up combos with Kung Lao as 11212 df1 and just getting slapped around.
I've spent like 6 hours in the training room with Lao and I have no idea what the rest of the cast does, especially the DLC characters because fuck if that isn't a loot of mooney

Majority of fighting games follow the same concepts of spacing, footsies, cancels, etc.

PM is a bit of a special case since its the Smash Bros. series and requires a lot more effort (imo). I believe that is the case when spacing is influenced by variable gravity, which makes it very fluid and controllable from many trajectories, thus making it even more layered as a game.

Aside from that, you have to look at how the top players play Kung Lao and see what buttons they are using in certain situations. Training room will help you not drop combos once you have it in as muscle memory but its experience that'll make it go further. If I give you anymore info, it'll defeat the purpose of learning a fighting game, which is all about research and self-improvement. Last hint I'll give is going into training room and basically simulate the buttons (on the enemy AI) that your friends are mashing you out on and see what buttons Kung Lao can use to beat them out without trading while paying attention to spacings. That should help you level up further.

Tripon

Uh, speaking as a person who also plays Smash. Its not great to teaching you traditional fighters. At best, it might give you a good idea of spacing, and neutral, but that is only if you work on it.

But Smash in my experience is a game that allows you to ignore spacing and footsies most of the time.

Uh, speaking as a person who also plays Smash. Its not great to teaching you traditional fighters. At best, it might give you a good idea of spacing, and neutral, but that is only if you work on it.

But Smash in my experience is a game that allows you to ignore spacing and footsies most of the time.
Try ignoring spacing and footsies against me in Smash, and you will never touch my Bowser. He completely destroys people that don't understand these concepts.

Smash is great at teaching fundamentals. You can learn fundamentals from any fighter, and it carries over if you really understand what is going on.

Hell, Hungrybox made it to GF with the most footsie-oriented character in the game.

Tripon

Keiko is streaming.

http://www.twitch.tv/keikoqvq

Try ignoring spacing and footsies against me in Smash, and you will never touch my Bowser. He completely destroys people that don't understand these concepts.

Smash is great at teaching fundamentals. You can learn fundamentals from any fighter, and it carries over if you really understand what is going on.

Hell, Hungrybox made it to GF with the most footsie-oriented character in the game.

Probably.

I'm probably just been playing a bunch of people who don't want to work on their neutral game in Smash.

Edit: I think part of my reluctance believing Smash teaches good fundamentals is because most of the Smash audience doesn't appreciate good fundamentals, like Hungrybox's Jigglypuff's play.

I look at that, and think good shit. But he was being booed pretty hard at times during EVO, and previous tournaments.

Azure J

I honestly think Smash is the reason I even got the footsies concept before I even knew there was a word for it. Mind you in the beginning my basic understanding was "outside enemy poke, inside your counterpoke" range but playing with GAF really helped me get a better understanding of things.

CPS2

In mk and combo heavy games u can fall into the trap of always going for the same combo, makes you really easy to beat.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

That's what I was thinking, Smash is a great way to understand fundamentals, it just has a more dimensionality? I'm not even sure if that word would work in this context but you get the point, there is more to take into account when gravity is being involved (which brings on more technicality from the player's end). I don't necessarily agree that fundamentals carry over from any fighter, since each game can have its own way of teaching the player how to play their game. Maybe I haven't played enough fighting games (09'er here) so that can be why, a lot of them follow the same formula when it comes to fighting.

Top Bottom