• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 3-10 | Rising to the Occasion

SamVimes

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";174665310]So is me reigning over FGW official now or what?

Let it be known that my OTs won't necessarily have relevant or helpful information.[/QUOTE]
You gotta answer the hard hitting questions first:

Mr God's Beard, your campaign seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train, what makes you so popular?

notworksafe

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";174665310]So is me reigning over FGW official now or what?

Let it be known that my OTs won't necessarily have relevant or helpful information.[/QUOTE]

we're used to that from the rest of your posts :B

NEO0MJ

i find it funny that the original Street Fighter IV is still being sold on Steam. What's strange is that Super is not available for purchase.

DunpealD

im watching mortal kombat annihilation

it sux

After this and the guard break stuff(mkx had +20 frame advantage moves and are no guard break! Too late to the game party orz). I am sure we will never be friends. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

shaowebb

we're used to that from the rest of your posts :B

c791Xp8.gif

It's a good move for Capcom to stop doing all these "editions" with SF5. That shit confuses non fighting game enthusiasts.

One time I told a friend on XBL that I was playing "Street Fighter 4" because he doesn't follow fighting games and that's simpler than telling him "Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition". Then one day he messaged me and was like "I bought Street Fighter 4! Let's play it!" and I found out he had bought vanilla.

shaowebb

It's a good move for Capcom to stop doing all these "editions" with SF5. That shit confuses non fighting game enthusiasts.

One time I told a friend on XBL that I was playing "Street Fighter 4" because he doesn't follow fighting games and that's simpler than telling him "Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition". Then one day he messaged me and was like "I bought Street Fighter 4! Let's play it!" and I found out he had bought vanilla.

Oh man thats sad. He pretty laughable difference between those editions too. There was a "tourney" at Tsubasacon in WV ran by a group called The Landing Zone. They had vanilla with NO ONE UNLOCKED. Also every system's games were unpatched and the controllers they brought for casuals were generally about broken Mad Catz shit. Then no brackets and tournies were hit or miss with schedules. Worst excuse for a game room ever and I began petitioning to have them never brought back. Hell I currently own enough gear that I could have ran that venue better than that.

Sucked playing pre patch Bane too...Fun playing vanilla full health Sentinel again though :p

Oh man thats sad. He pretty laughable difference between those editions too. There was a "tourney" at Tsubasacon in WV ran by a group called The Landing Zone. They had vanilla with NO ONE UNLOCKED. Also every system's games were unpatched and the controllers they brought for casuals were generally about broken Mad Catz shit. Then no brackets and tournies were hit or miss with schedules. Worst excuse for a game room ever and I began petitioning to have them never brought back. Hell I currently own enough gear that I could have ran that venue better than that.

Sucked playing pre patch Bane too...Fun playing vanilla full health Sentinel again though :p

It can be fun to dig those old games out once in a blue moon and abuse the cheap shit.

Free points for Luffy. One of the freest events in the entire tour.

Nah, I think it's a quality tournament. Maybe on the lower level of difficulty but it still has plenty of quality players. Nothing will top Abuget Cup in terms of how free that tournament was for anybody with an ounce of skill. Their were a bunch of guys that got Capcom Cup points that probably wouldn't even be top 10 on GAF. Freaking Cameraman got points and all he I remember him doing was trying to land empty jump SPD every match.

Beckx

I missed a lot of news while traveling this week. ArcSys is publishing Skullgirls 2nd in Japan? That's got to be the best third party publisher news for the SG team in a long time. Congrats to Ravidrath and the team.

So your point is you can’t have conditioning (active manipulation) in a guessing game? Which is what I was arguing. I guess I should clarify. What I meant is a simple guessing game can have mind games in its play. What’s footsies? It’s a /visual/ pattern of behavior that players use to manipulate their opponent. A pattern can have many forms, and like I said, you can create and or observe one in a simple guessing game too.
I would argue that in a pure guessing game, there are no real mind games going on. Have you ever seen The Princess Bride? The "battle of wits" between the masked man and Fezwick (just created that spelling) is a good example of how there isn't a mindgame taking place between the opponents. It's a mindgame you play on yourself.

Let's say we play Rock, Paper, Scissors.

We play one match:
You throw out Rock, and I throw out Rock.

The analysis of the next throw looks something like this:
"He went Rock because he thought I would go Scissors. But now he knows I like Rock, so I should go Scissors because he might go Paper to counter Rock. But he probably knows that I will change from Rock, so I should stay Rock to mix him up. But what if he suspects my boldness? I should go Paper because it is the least expected."

There isn't really a good answer, because you are just making assumptions based on past performance. There isn't a way for you to interact with your opponent's current choice directly so there is no "game" present. Between you two. Assumptions based on past performance are what we call "reads". They definitely take mental skill, but I don't think they are a mindgame because you are observing your opponent's long-term habits instead of directly manipulating your opponent's current actions.

Reading patterns aren't mind games. Did you read my Wesker vs. Dormammu and my Ryu examples? I think those present clear situations where no mind games are occurring, but reads are being made.

They really like Karst.
Probably a GAF member, just like the guy who made mock GAF accounts on Twitch.

This guy is a gold mine.
You should post here a lot more often.

Some cool art...

Not for a fighting game :(
Chun's boobs in that last pic are hilarious. Is she falling?

rookiejet

I think we can agree pure Rock-paper-scissors is not very sophisticated, there's not a lot of preexisting information or strategy (play boundaries? common sense plays? soft rules?) like in a fighting game to form your decisions, but your example is /still/ a mind game, just not a particularly deep or interesting one. From the dictionary: mind game - a psychological tactic used to manipulate or intimidate. Do you know what conditioning is in the context of a strategy game? It's creating an expectation of a pattern, and then subverting it to gain advantage. Using Rock-paper-scissors again, your creating the expectation of say Rock after NxPaper which the other player catches on, then you change that pattern and switch to scissors (yeah, pure rock-paper-scissors is not very interesting, and probably would require a lot of bookkeeping to play competitively lol).

I would argue that in a pure guessing game, there are no real mind games going on. Have you ever seen The Princess Bride? The "battle of wits" between the masked man and Fezwick (just created that spelling) is a good example of how there isn't a mindgame taking place between the opponents. It's a mindgame you play on yourself.

Let's say we play Rock, Paper, Scissors.

We play one match:
You throw out Rock, and I throw out Rock.

The analysis of the next throw looks something like this:
"He went Rock because he thought I would go Scissors. But now he knows I like Rock, so I should go Scissors because he might go Paper to counter Rock. But he probably knows that I will change from Rock, so I should stay Rock to mix him up. But what if he suspects my boldness? I should go Paper because it is the least expected."

There isn't really a good answer, because you are just making assumptions based on past performance. There isn't a way for you to interact with your opponent's current choice directly so there is no "game" present. Between you two. Assumptions based on past performance are what we call "reads". They definitely take mental skill, but I don't think they are a mindgame because you are observing your opponent's long-term habits instead of directly manipulating your opponent's current actions.

Reading patterns aren't mind games. Did you read my Wesker vs. Dormammu and my Ryu examples? I think those present clear situations where no mind games are occurring, but reads are being made.
So would mechanics that allow feints be an example of mind-gaming tool? Like the fake fireball and such? I'm genuinely curious as the whole topic of mind-games, guesses and reads has always fascinated me so I'm always intrigued to see what people think about this stuff :D

Anne

Karst, can you just drop stuff before you keep ending up on scrubquotes? You're talking a lot of nonsense in circles and it's only making whatever weird thought process you have going on about the thing look weirder.

I think we can agree pure Rock-paper-scissors is not very sophisticated, there's not a lot of preexisting information or strategy (play boundaries? common sense plays? soft rules?) like in a fighting game to form your decisions, but your example is /still/ a mind game, just not a particularly deep one. From the dictionary: mind game - a psychological tactic used to manipulate or intimidate. Do you know what conditioning is in the context of a strategy game? It's creating an expectation of a pattern, and then subverting it to gain advantage. Using Rock-paper-scissors again, your creating the expectation of say Rock after NxPaper which the other player catches on, then you change that pattern and switch to scissors (yeah, pure rock-paper-scissors is not very interesting, and probably would require a lot of bookkeeping to play competitively lol).
But my point is that there isn't any real manipulation going on in RPS. All three options are always equally viable because of how the game plays out. It's like saying coin flips are mind games because the coin got heads before, and that is feedback.

You will have to give me a specific strategy game to work with. Chess, for example, has very little mind games going on. You are searching for a true "best move" each play. Not all strategy involves mind games. Starcraft has a lot of mind games, as does DotA. They have mind games because you can directly influence your opponent through stimuli. RPS, TACs, and combo breakers are all indirect influence, so I dont think they qualify for mind games.

Karst, can you just drop stuff before you keep ending up on scrubquotes? You're talking a lot of nonsense in circles and it's only making whatever weird thought process you have going on about the thing look weirder.
Which of these am I supposed to care about? Scrubquotes, or that you find my thought process to be weird?

petghost

Banned
Karst I think I remember you saying your wife was gonna give birth at home with a midwife? What's the reasoning? Can she still get an epidural and all that?

Top Bottom