• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 4-10 | IT DOES NOT FOLLOW ANY REASON

The problem about the new Guilty Gear design is simple : they are adding way too much useless details on the characters when the original GG designs where simple but coherent and efficient.
I'm just hoping it won't interfere with gameplay. That's one of my issues with Blazblue. Sometimes it's just hard to tell what the fuck is going on.

alstein

His 720+P super can do extra damage if you do additional 360s. You can do up to 4 normally. If you "power up" his grab super you can do up to 5.

(When you pick your character, you pick one of two supers to power up. You still have access to both supers but the super you chose gets 20% extra damage or better properties.)

I hated that mechanic in SS5Sp (Gaira had it- he was a cool grappler design, but his motions were weird for his grab)

Also a big WTF on all that content ID nonsense. Sp00ky is talking about it right now.

If spooky/Arturo and Watson/Valle collude a bit and say they're both going to hitbox for a month, you'd get the stream monsters following- and it would give streamers more power in the future to resist TOS changes that are consumer-hostile. Doesn't mean you'd have to go fulltime, but having the option to take their ball and go home, and forcing the stream monsters to get hitbox accounts would be the best way, I'm worried Twitch has so much market share now, that it's like facebook where they can be as evil as they want and won't ever have to suffer any blowback from the product (we're the product)

On our end, we should refuse to do anymore subs for Twitch streams period. I know I am.

I'm just hoping it won't interfere with gameplay. That's one of my issues with Blazblue. Sometimes it's just hard to tell what the fuck is going on.

It's still soft compared to BlazBlue but itshappening.gif too. Why the fuck do you need to put a stupid hat on Milia and a licence plate on the hat? Putting a hat hinders her hair so the basic meaning of the character is minimized. Changing her arms to large straight orange/visible sleeves is also stupid as Milia's dark long long gloves were basically there for us to not see she had arms. The basic of the design was that her arms could hinder her hair attacks so she kept them close to the body, giving us the feeling that her hair is more useful than her arms... As if she did not have arms, just legs (naked by the way), a body and her (naked) hair too. She was a different body type this way, now she is just a normal person.

I don't mind the buff/muscle version of some characters, but changing designs just to be stylish is ridiculous and reduce the effectiveness of the character design. That's why Under Night In-Birth has such great characters and such appeal among the non anime fans : instead of adding futile details, they focused on the essential points. You don't know why it clicks with some characters, but it clicks because it goes to what is essential.

Horseress

David Hinds is leaving Capcom Europe. He said it on his twitter @dawgtanian. He probably saw Deejay's new costume and said fuck it.

Cambo's next?

Damn, that sucks...he's cool people, always replied to most tweets, trying to help as much as he could...hope he keeps working on the gaming business

thelastword

Banned
There is one, the big guy named Chadha. His video is already done. He has an SPD, Hugo's 360+K from 3S, a long-range dropkick, an air SPD, and a 720+P super which you can also do as an 1800+P.
That sounds good, always thought gief needed an anti-air spd.

Juicebox_FGC said:
His 720+P super can do extra damage if you do additional 360s. You can do up to 4 normally. If you "power up" his grab super you can do up to 5.
Crazy damage the more 360's you do, sounds like my type of character. I'm a churn that butter master.

God's Beard said:
Who ragequits to protect their points in SF4? Why bother?
People still do sadly and I can't get my head around it because I will take every loss whether it's by a low pp player or whether my timing becomes off due to terrible lag. Just yesterday a bison player called "wlcm to rapture" ragequitted on me, I was so surprised because we've played each other many times and he had the better of me the last couple of games we played. Don't understand the thinking, the messages I get indicates that some people take this way too seriously.

.la1n

One look at my PP and you can tell I never rage quit :p

The most peculiar thing to me is when I get hate messages after they beat me, so odd.

Clawww

what makes flaming/trash talk messages even sadder online is that the matches are BO1. it's not even a fuckin set.

Jazz-ism

Banned
Even I will say that as somebody who loves fighting games, I am not interested one bit in DBFC. This primarily has to do with the fact that apparently there's no grappler in the game. What?! Even Eternal Fighter Zero had a grappler...and yes, I played THAT fighter and I'm not interested in this one. To the game's credit, I will say that basketball girl turning her opponents into a ball and dribbling them is one of the more imaginative things I've seen in a fighting game recently.

In any case, no body explosion equals no interest on my end.

if you would have done 5 mins worth of research you would know there are command grab chars in DBFC...

Shito

To be fair, it can happen that someone quits without really wanting to quit.
Never happened to me yet while playing a fighting game, but I know my router sometimes resets itself all on its own (usually once per week), which led me to get disconnected from other online games in the past, without me wanting to.
I'm sure those are in the minority of those quits, but it can happen.

The salty messages, though... ^^

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";124313327]Who ragequits to protect their points in SF4? Why bother?[/QUOTE]

pp should stand for pride points, lol.

people just shamelessly protecting their pride.

Sayad

That's one of the things I hate the most about ASW games, but Xrd seem less guilty of this than any recent ASW game, especially with hit sparks, they're now less obtuse than in old GG games.

It's still soft compared to BlazBlue but itshappening.gif too. Why the fuck do you need to put a stupid hat on Milia and a licence plate on the hat? Putting a hat hinders her hair so the basic meaning of the character is minimized. Changing her arms to large straight orange/visible sleeves is also stupid as Milia's dark long long gloves were basically there for us to not see she had arms. The basic of the design was that her arms could hinder her hair attacks so she kept them close to the body, giving us the feeling that her hair is more useful than her arms... As if she did not have arms, just legs (naked by the way), a body and her (naked) hair too. She was a different body type this way, now she is just a normal person.
Millia's hat is there for technical reasons, they're constantly swamping different hair models for her hair transformations, the hat is there so they don't have to connect the end of hair strands properly under the hat, saves a lot of time. I like the new look, though I agree the licence plate shouldn't be there, a lot(all?!) of characters have similar stuff with writings on them, so maybe we'll be able to customize the text or something!

Also, it seems like there are Famitsu scans with a new Xrd character, looks like a good(as opposed to evil) Ramlethal with white skin, pink hair and wearing what looks like a wedding dress take on Ram's outfit. Looks horrible, hopefully just a story character.

Shito

Also, it seems like there are Famitsu scans with a new Xrd character, looks like a good(as opposed to evil) Ramlethal with white skin, pink hair and wearing what looks like a wedding dress take on Ram's outfit. Looks horrible, hopefully just a story character.
*search a bit*

Good god you didn't lie: she's horrible!

thelastword

Banned
One look at my PP and you can tell I never rage quit :p

The most peculiar thing to me is when I get hate messages after they beat me, so odd.
Maybe it's because you were really tough for them to beat or they hate to deal with your style of play. Funny, some guy told me i'm free because he says I don't do combos, but he has yet to beat me, says I don't play the game right....i'm a scrub etc..

clawww said:
what makes flaming/trash talk messages even sadder online is that the matches are BO1. it's not even a fuckin set.
Are you Itabashi Claw on xblive? Sets are fine if it's endless or you are in a lobby with a friend/s. In ranked I don't like people who challenge you over and over again either, especially if you're know they're only doing it because they're furious because of a prior loss.

Beckx

GG gamemode information from new screenshots.

The PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 versions will feature cross-platform network play across both “Ranked” and “Player” matches. Ranked matches are reflected in the rankings, while Player matches are not.

During Player matches, up to eight people can enter a room, and four matches are carried out simultaneously. You’l also be able to watch other players’ matches, and text and AV chat with other users in the room.

Also shown are the game’s Tutorial, Challenge, Mission, and Training modes, as well as a single shot of the new Story mode, which will be further detailed in a followup report.

Horseress

An interesting tweet from Harada

We've fighting game engine already.
But our next-gen graphics engine development was delayed.
Then, I thought that I would combine our engine and Unreal engine.
RT@DiamondJDust What was the creative reason you chose the @UnrealEngine for #Tekken7

That probably means T7 will look almost completely different from TTT2 and T6, and to me that's a good thing. Not that those games are ugly, but a fresh new look would be cool

Horseress

What do you mean by that? An engine isn't an art style. Guilty Gear Xrd and Gears of War 3 both use Unreal, for example.

Not talking about the art style. Sorry, I probably used the wrong expression, it won't look different art style-wise, but it will feel different, since they had an engine till TTT2 and now they will use other one

Salex_

The lobby looks nice.
Guilty-Gear-Xrd-Sign_2014_08-07-14_008.jpg

I hope that's not all of the online mode details though. I expect them to at least match BBCP.

This brings me to my question. Why do you guys think fighting game developers aren't adding in as many online modes/options as other genres? For example, I've seen the BBCP 64 player free roaming lobby and it looks like an online version of an arcade. Why wouldn't they include a tournament mode within that lobby? It just makes sense.

GG Xrd lobby looks perfect for a round robin mode. I doubt they'll have it though.

Blazblue has had the 8 player lobbies where 4 matches can go on at once for a while but no one uses them. I wonder how many people know they actually exist. The only way GGXrd's implementation will be an improvement is if you can watch someone's match while it's in progress instead of having to wait for someone to show up to play you like in Blazblue. In Blazblue's multimatch lobbies you also cannot watch any matches so if you're person number 7/8 you're sitting there twiddling your thumbs until an 8th person shows up.

Also the new character looks interesting. Not exactly the sort of design that I would expect but it intrigues because of that so I want to see more.

Salex_

That sounds terrible.
Like nobody ever used that SF4 tournament thing they did and upping the scale to 64 sounds like a nightmare.

It was a good option to have in SF. It's not suppose to be a "let's randomly play tournament mode" thing. It's the kind of thing you set up.

It's really not that difficult (BTW, I meant 8-64 player options. Not just 64 players). Make the game generate a random bracket and players within the lobby plays against their opponent and the game records the results. It's that simple. These online tournaments are normally streamed as well. So if there's any confusion they can say something in the chat.

Having these things built into the game is just a faster and easier way to run the tournament than using challonge and messaging the results.

I doubt she's playable, though -- probably just some story mode stuff.

IIRC they said that the console version is going to see some new characters. It will probably be like how they usually do their arcade > console transitions. Console gets some new characters first with the arcade being updated later.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say that the new character would have wedding themed attacks based on attire and that bouquet.

Shito

With all the already existing characters fans want them to port over to Xrd, I'd be surprised if they "lost a slot" to such an odd choice, but yeah you never know. ^^
We'll probably hear about those new characters quite soon, so we'll see.

Sayad

This brings me to my question. hyW do you guys think fighting game developers aren't adding in as many online modes/options as other genres? For example, I've seen the BBCP 64 player free roaming lobby and it looks like an online version of an arcade. Why wouldn't they include a tournament mode within that lobby? It just makes sense.

GG Xrd lobby looks perfect for a round robin mode. I doubt they'll have it though.
Mainly because fighting games don't have big enough player base so you want to avoid spreading players between modes as much as possible. Many tried to experience with other modes and the results is almost always the same, the none ranked/player(endless) modes always die few weeks after launch.
Also most fighting game players hate modes that change the game's mechanics and will ignore them, so the devs are really limited in what they can come up with for other modes... Saying that, I really wish Tekken Ball came out on the PS3/360 versions of the game to see if it would hold up online. It's much easier to get into competitively than regular Tekken.

Tekniqs

In ranked I don't like people who challenge you over and over again either, especially if you're know they're only doing it because they're furious because of a prior loss.
Shit I like it. If I come across a good player, I'll keep challenging them until they get tired of playing me. Likewise if I'm hosting.

Redbull interview with Ryan Hart, doesn't sound too happy with Ultra being chosen over AE2012 for EVO:

Ryan Hart said:
I wasn’t happy with some smaller losses this year and wanted to improve myself to not make the same mistakes in future, but then prior to EVO a new version of the game was released [Ultra Street Fighter 4] which forced me to completely change my strategy.

My character got nerfed which made me consider whether I would be able to take him all the way in victory, and the game included five completely new characters, plus system changes, which meant I had to take a lot of time out of my training schedule to learn about these characters so I didn’t lose to them.

Suddenly, what had seemed like a solid strategy at the beginning of the year hung in tatters in my mind. I was then in two minds about whether I should main Sagat, main someone else, use a new character, or have no main and just multiple characters. This left holes in my gameplan by the time EVO came around and when the dust settled I only got top 25. It was too soon to have Ultra featured at EVO. When you have top dogs like Daigo and Infiltration getting top 64 you know there is an issue.

I guarantee there are not 60 people in the world better than those two players, let alone just at EVO.

It's a pretty basic read about his history, but good stuff in it.

Shito

I guarantee there are not 60 people in the world better than those two players, let alone just at EVO.
Well, this is not quite how these tournaments work, and not what it means either.
I can agree with some of his points, but at the end of the day the thing is everybody has to play the same game.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
With all the already existing characters fans want them to port over to Xrd, I'd be surprised if they "lost a slot" to such an odd choice, but yeah you never know. ^^
We'll probably hear about those new characters quite soon, so we'll see.

I don't think it's their plan to bring every existing character back though. At least not initially

Honestly I prefer this approach. I'd rather them bring back old characters alongside new characters rather than recreate the roster from XX before we see any new faces

Anyways where are you guys seeing this new character

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't see it mentioned before but it looks like December 4th will be the release date for GGXrd (for the JP version at least).

Really hoping I dont have to import

im already buying it twice

Will preorder soon as we get a US date. Holding out for some sort of CE. Like every BB version gets one so where's my GG one at aksys?

Beckx

Really hoping I dont have to import

im already buying it twice

Will preorder soon as we get a US date. Holding out for some sort of CE. Like every BB version gets one so where's my GG one at aksys?

JP version has a premium with a 6 button pad, 9000 or so yen. I am curious to see what the pad design will look like.

Top Bottom