• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 4-10 | IT DOES NOT FOLLOW ANY REASON

What makes doing combos in this game easier than others?

Play MvC 3 and do the TAC infinite. Or play Wolverine with his jump loops. That's this game.
Considered to be a bad character, though I don't think he is really. He has a lot of trouble getting in on quite a few match ups but once he is in you can pretty much win the match with smart play, mix ups and unblockable set ups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9RedeDnpGU

Awww. His combos are so cool too.

Weird to see UNiEL talk in here still. I honestly thought it would get Skullgirl'd and get ignored after week one. :/

Would probably pick it up if I wasn't practicing for Versus Fighting in a few weeks.

Fun UK story for you all. Some old heads might remember Super Versus Battle - a relatively long running event that served as the UK's main major for several years. They announced their main event for this year based around of their old haunt in Harrow, North London back in April.

That was the last anyone has ever heard from them. The 'major' is this Saturday/Sunday.

The organisers have totally avoided responsibility. They announced ten or so tournaments, but are running no tournaments themselves. One Tekken player called TheChef came forward to run the Tekken event, and he has been the only person to actually set anything up outside of the Smash Melee scene.

Basically the event has turned from this possibly huge deal - some big relaunch for the London scene - into a two-day Tekken and Smash event that at best might have a few less popular games like USF4, or Mahvel, provided someone brings along a setup and a pad of paper and decides to run a little something.

I have gone to a lot of tournaments. This is the first one I have booked holidays off for and then decided to not bother. It is utterly bizarre.

In all honesty they've been pretty busy. Not many people I know where going this year. I was thinking about it but had too many plans. One of my friends went.

No. He stays casual because his competitive scope remains parochial.

Let's hash this out now. I think we can come to some standard agreement. "Casual" is as titular and nebulous as they come, but "competitive" less so. I think we can have something of a bridge with the label "enthusiast".

1. "Casual": Someone without any inclination, or even notion of applying a more structured approach to their gameplay experience.

Competition among friends is enough to satisfy, and the nature of that competition is light-hearted, more often than not. Rarely seeks competition outside their immediate circle. Most do not even consider the notion.

Widest population, but not very gradient in distinction.

2. "Enthusiast": Someone with a strong inclination towards structured play and dedicates the time and energy afforded to him/her to approaching the limiting "Competitive" ideal/archetype. Utilizes elements in the game like training mode, knows of and adopts competitive culture to some degree, watches streams, reads/participates in message board discussion, participates in local gatherings and tournaments occasionally, and is generally cognizant of expressed and underlying systems mechanics.

Competition is among casuals, competitive players, enthusiasts, online casual/competitive/enthusiast players or some combination of the six.

Medial population, highly gradient in distinction. I think this describes most of GAF and most forum communities, generally.

3. "Competitive": Someone with a hardline inclination towards structured play and dedicates time and energy well beyond the average towards meeting and maximizing the standards set by the competitive pool. Sociological sacrifices are often necessary. Utilizes elements in the game like training mode, is immersed in competitive culture, watches streams, reads/participates in message board discussion, travels to tournaments regularly, and views intimate understanding of systems mechanics as ideal.

Smallest population, not very gradient in distinction.

Enthusiast. All I care about is combos, fun and knowing how to play. I attend my local arcade, have plenty and plenty of local sessions at friends or my house, watch streams for hours and talk on Gaf about them and occasionally attend a tournament. But not an S-tier competitive person.
Really well put categories. Definitely agree with the 3 distinctions.

alstein

I think the thing that keeps me from becoming competitive (I'm on the enthusiast side of things) is I don't really want to break games or play broken games.

If I think something is "too stupid"- my reaction is usually to drop the game, or try to work around it, instead of learn it.

I think that's one reason I played VF for so long, VF doesn't really have much that I consider too stupid (FS wall combos are kinda close though, and I don't bother with open/closed stance or 1fk)

Pretty much everyone in this thread is at least an enthusiast.
That reminds me! While I was banned, I got my BP up from 500 to 1500 via Blanka, and my PP from 1000 to 3000. Yay! I may have flipped BP and PP, since I always do...

Highlights have been AAing someone with U1, chipping out a hilarious number of people with U2, still being free to jump-ins, and linking c.MK into itself sometimes...

Dahbomb

Where did you guys put Dahbomb's fanfic?!?

Probably tons of community points on the line too.

HOW DAH FUCK DID I MISS THIS????

o-face.gif

Kimosabae

Banned
Considered to be a bad character, though I don't think he is really. He has a lot of trouble getting in on quite a few match ups but once he is in you can pretty much win the match with smart play, mix ups and unblockable set ups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9RedeDnpGU

Does he really need to get in to initiate offense, though? My initial impressions were that he was a zoning character with a strong mixup game. Kind of a cross between Viper/Chipp.

Does he really need to get in to initiate offense, though? My initial impressions were that he was a zoning character with a strong mixup game. Kind of a cross between Viper/Zappa.

Looking at the range of his attacks and lack of good projectile puts him in the same hole as Akatsuki. The top tier characters can just zone him out with their normals.

At least I am not sure how he would win the game at mid screen.

Kimosabae

Banned
I meant Chipp, not Zappa. Who's Akautsuki?

It's not about "winning" the game at mid screen as much as it's about getting your opponent to put themselves into a more favorable position for you on your own terms. Viper's not winning many Zoning wars in SF4, but if she can get you to jump forward, that's favorable for her.

I could be wrong but from what I understand is that at mid screen or further the majority of the cast will be in a more favorable position. So they would be dictating the pace of the match if Seth doesn't try to get in.

petran79

Banned
I think it's disingenous to say that casual players aren't invested in the results of the match (because nobody wants to hold that L) or that they don't apply active effort towards increasing their skill level, but that winning and improving isn't their primary motivation for playing the game. In Magic parlance, they're the opposite of "Spike" players.

unfortunately our body has limits too and fighting games are one of the most demanding genres and the most likely to cause damage.

eg I got tendonitis in the right shoulder due to pressing rapidly the buttons of the arcade stick.
had to take medication and put ice for over a week.
I didnt even try to do advanced stuff, just special moves and few combos/cancels in Garou and Vampire Savior. Or else it would have appeared sooner.

now left thumb hurts, even though I just played casually for half an hour with a gamepad. I am putting ice there too these days.

Half an hour play is enough for this genre for me.

Baleoce

Walked into GAME in Hereford

Me: "Hi, do you have the USF4 brady guide in stock? It's out today and I noticed you're one of the retailers selling it".
Employee: "Err, no mate. But don't worry, I think it's exactly the same as the original one." (I'm not sure whether he was trying to tell me if the guide was the same, or if the game was exactly the same.. either way..)
Me: "It's not. It's by a different guide publisher". (his co-worker also tells him that he's wrong)
Employee: *checks his database* aah yeah, says here the game's not out til the 8th.
Me: "It's not the game I'm buying. Your website says the guide is out today, and I've checked that with other online retailers as well as your website, which says the 5th".

*He actually checks his watch, then nods agreeingly*
Employee: *checks his database again* "Aah ok, we aren't stocking it here until there's enough pre-orders of the game itself".
Me: "okay i'll look elsewhere, thank you".

------

This is why I normally just buy shit online. Infact, more fool me for not doing that in the first place. Was just in town and thought I may as well get it while I'm there. I'll just get it off amazon.

EDIT - Amazon "Usually dispatched within 4 - 7 weeks." What is going on.....

CurlyW

If you're running a tournament and you decide to pay for a player's travel, you should get something in return (like they do a panel for you or compete with your event name in their tag).

In general, flying top players to your event likely only helps the stream get more viewers. I don't think it helps general attendance of the event, unless maybe you get Daigo or certain foreign players. (This does apply for SS flying out FChamp, but he'd attended in the past so I'd have thought they might pay for somebody new.) Anyway, if your event is good enough, then top players and scrubs will get there on their own.

Beckx

If you're running a tournament and you decide to pay for a player's travel, you should get something in return (like they do a panel for you or compete with your event name in their tag).

In general, flying top players to your event likely only helps the stream get more viewers. I don't think it helps general attendance of the event, unless maybe you get Daigo or certain foreign players. (This does apply for SS flying out FChamp, but he'd attended in the past so I'd have thought they might pay for somebody new.) Anyway, if your event is good enough, then top players and scrubs will get there on their own.

Though do you think it can help an event jump to the next level to get several big names to attend one year?

B_Raw

Neo Member
Though do you think it can help an event jump to the next level to get several big names to attend one year?

I'd say the event has to consistently appeal to the big names to come, and the fact that the big names come one year doesn't automatically step up the tourney in stature unless they can keep that pace. One big year (flights paid, big prize pot) means absolutely nothing if the next year doesn't follow suit.

CurlyW

That's pretty much how Season's Beatings became big, so it's definitely possible. On the other hand, Canada Cup tried to do the same thing, but they never ended up getting the regular attendance.

EDIT: I want to say that in the case of Season's Beatings, they did end up paying players to fly out every year, though I think it was usually different players each year.

That would be kinda weird to see 90% of the foreign players at the previous Canada Cups with CCG in their names.

Karsticles when I'm done w/ classes we should play Ultra
It will have to wait a bit. A combination of starting a new job this week and my next door neighbor yelling at me every day for hours on end because he suffers from dementia is keeping me busy.

On the note of SF, though, what is the proper way to piano into H electricity from Blanka's LP? No lead up.

jbug617

Banned
360 Sale for Fighters:

SFXT DLC Characters (12 characters I believe)- $4.99
SF3: Third Strike- $3.74
SSF2T HD- $5.09
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo HD- $4.99
Darkstalkers Resurrection- $4.94

DOA5U Costumes:

Private Paradise Set- $12.49
Complete DOA5 Set- $19.99
Complete Casual Collection Vol. 1 and Vol 2- $4.59 each

Rhapsody

Banned
Man, feels like P4AU must have doubled the roster (not counting Shadow characters, of course)

Too bad she won't be like the other two DLC characters and be free week 1 ;_;

Well, to be picky about it, the article is only referring to Japan. I think the other 2 DLC characters aren't even free like the US, so it could still be free week 1 here.

Onemic

That's pretty much how Season's Beatings became big, so it's definitely possible. On the other hand, Canada Cup tried to do the same thing, but they never ended up getting the regular attendance.

EDIT: I want to say that in the case of Season's Beatings, they did end up paying players to fly out every year, though I think it was usually different players each year.

I really wanna say CC's problem is location. If it was in Vancouver, Toronto, or even Montreal I can see attendance being much higher. Toronto especially.

Well, to be picky about it, the article is only referring to Japan. I think the other 2 DLC characters aren't even free like the US, so it could still be free week 1 here.

Ah, ok, must have forgotten that the 2 DLC characters aren't free in Japan, so at least there's hope. Not to say I wouldn't end up paying for DLC characters for P4AU, but man, free is so much better, lol.

Busaiku

Haven't they pretty much doubled the cast for Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, even excluding Shadow characters?
Seriously, this is like the biggest update for an ArcSys developed game.

Nyoro SF

I just hope they don't screw up the release.

Haven't they pretty much doubled the cast for Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, even excluding Shadow characters?

Yes.

Despite the imbalances, I think I will have more fun with this game than the last version. I put in a lot of time with Yukiko, but I'm ready to try someone new, maybe someone that doesn't have crap defensive options.

Busaiku

I thought the NA version was confirmed to launch this year, wasn't it? Welp, fuck it, will have to buy it from JP PSN

It's coming out a month after Japan.
We also don't know if the Japanese is region locked or not.
Atlus USA only stated that their game isn't region locked, so that leaves the Japanese game still up in the air.

JPS Kai

Walked into GAME in Hereford

Me: "Hi, do you have the USF4 brady guide in stock? It's out today and I noticed you're one of the retailers selling it".
Employee: "Err, no mate. But don't worry, I think it's exactly the same as the original one." (I'm not sure whether he was trying to tell me if the guide was the same, or if the game was exactly the same.. either way..)
Me: "It's not. It's by a different guide publisher". (his co-worker also tells him that he's wrong)
Employee: *checks his database* aah yeah, says here the game's not out til the 8th.
Me: "It's not the game I'm buying. Your website says the guide is out today, and I've checked that with other online retailers as well as your website, which says the 5th".

*He actually checks his watch, then nods agreeingly*
Employee: *checks his database again* "Aah ok, we aren't stocking it here until there's enough pre-orders of the game itself".
Me: "okay i'll look elsewhere, thank you".

------

This is why I normally just buy shit online. Infact, more fool me for not doing that in the first place. Was just in town and thought I may as well get it while I'm there. I'll just get it off amazon.

EDIT - Amazon "Usually dispatched within 4 - 7 weeks." What is going on.....

I had zero reserves across all three platforms and guide. The games showed up (one for ps3 and one for 360) today but I won't get any guides in until tomorrow. Maybe Bradygames got the guides out a little late for distribution.

Unless I'm counting wrong, excluding Shadow characters but including both Shos, there's 9 new characters?

I believe P4A was 13 characters, so either way, this is a pretty damn sizeable update

CurlyW

I really wanna say CC's problem is location. If it was in Vancouver, Toronto, or even Montreal I can see attendance being much higher. Toronto especially.

Well it's not like Columbus, Ohio was a premier locale either, but SB made it work (the venue itself helped significantly). Also, I thought Canada Cup was held in Vancouver its last year, but I could be wrong.

I agree that Calgary was far from ideal and it probably would have had significantly more success in Toronto or Montreal.

Malice215

Flying players out helps give an event more exposure and possibly attract the people who may have been on the fence of attending now that see that ____ player will be in attendance.

Whether an event takes the next level is up to the organizers. Flying people out won't do you any good if your event is crap or you can't payout the players who've won tournaments because you've over budget from spending money on flying people or cosplayers out to your event or sponsoring development companies and the like.

If everything else about your event is on point, then it could aid you in getting to the position where you don't need to worry about flying out anyone because your event is established. The key in whatever someone decides to do is sustainability.

I think CC could do better in a different location, but who knows what costs and logistics are involved in making that happen, and not stepping on the toes of other events. CC in Montreal would be OD and easier for me to get to than Calgary would. They also had an event in Vancouver (April Duels). Don't know how well it did for the cost and the amount of people that showed up given that they haven't ran another event out of Vancouver since then.

Rhapsody

Banned
Alpha 3 can be interesting. A-cho kind of gets boring since it's usually the same exact people.
I'm tired of seeing X-ism Gen, Chun Li, and V-ism Gief lol

Top Bottom