• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 4-10 | IT DOES NOT FOLLOW ANY REASON

kirblar

The problem with Canada Cup is that it's a money pit that exists as long as they can afford to eat the L. It's one thing to be passionate and organize an event - but you need to be breaking even and budgeting properly.

BadWolf

The problem with Canada Cup is that it's a money pit that exists as long as they can afford to eat the L. It's one thing to be passionate and organize an event - but you need to be breaking even and budgeting properly.

Don't they also waste a lot of money on partying and alcohol?

jbug617

Banned
I think CC problem is spending money to bring multiple international players over. Maybe he should bring 1-4 players instead of a huge group he usually has.

I think CC problem is spending money to bring multiple international players over. Maybe he should bring 1-4 players instead of a huge group he usually has.

I get the feeling he's not good at budgeting. But it's his money, and he makes a truckload, so whatever.

Malice215

I don't see how this is the problem with the amount of money being spent on the after party alone, but I wouldn't mind seeing a more sustainable model and a free stream rather than me paying for it.

Justin.tv shutdown was expected. Will it open the door for more non-gaming content? I don't think so. They'll probably stay selective when the comes to broadcasting non-gaming content. Plus YouTube Live can be leveraged for that as well. Sucks for bootleggers and people like Gootecks who were ahead of the game streaming music sets.

Kalamari

I get the feeling he's not good at budgeting. But it's his money, and he makes a truckload, so whatever.

You would think he would be better with all his business experience. Instead of pouring all of his own money into it, why not grow the tournament gradually, find a group of people to share the burden of investment, and plan for the long term? Don't throw a shit ton of money around and complain about the enormous expense afterwards, that's just esports.

What if the X in Mortal Kombat X stands for cross gen?

:O

Mortal-kombat-x-cassie-cage.png

Mortal Kombat: NeXt Generation

Nyoro SF

It only makes sense that a game with as much freedom as Marvel would eventually turn down this path.

The same thing happened to TvC. Even though the first version of the game was broken on release, the game continuously kept evolving into crazier and crazier forms.

Azure J

Is this old and I missed this somehow? What in the actual fuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUfjz1SHvEo&t=2m23s

I'm re-watching this at quarter speed, holy shit Marlinpie

So the new meta is "reach around normals" on incoming? Jeeez. :lol

It's pretty crazy how good Doom has gotten since MSH.

I remember when I used to vigorously argue in the Dante vs. Doom argument that Doom didn't have the point game to edge out Dante as a "whole" character (combination of absurd assist value + a point game that didn't leave much to desire). Nowadays though? I actually kinda feel humbled for ever having that opinion.

Dahbomb

Is this old and I missed this somehow? What in the actual fuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUfjz1SHvEo&t=2m23s

I'm re-watching this at quarter speed, holy shit Marlinpie
LMAO that Foot Dive was hitting on the other side but thankfully Strange was autoblocking so he blocked it (because no way in hell anyone was blocking that shit).

Real talk that was a Magneto level of high speed mix up on incoming.

Also:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...-4-event-added-capcom-pro-tour-ranking-event/

http://shoryuken.com/2014/08/04/wes...-pro-tour-ranking-tournament-status-and-more/

61880-George-Michael-its-happening-i-dNrF.gif

I remember when I used to vigorously argue in the Dante vs. Doom argument that Doom didn't have the point game to edge out Dante as a "whole" character (combination of absurd assist value + a point game that didn't leave much to desire). Nowadays though? I actually kinda feel humbled for ever having that opinion.
Dante is still an overall much better point character (mostly because Dante isn't 100% free to zoning teams like Doom is) but Doom greatly edges out Dante greatly in ease of play and support value. Dante's assists are very good (Jam Session is a top assist) but they don't touch Plasma Beam and Hidden Missiles. Furthermore Doom has superior TAC infinites and provides far more damage off of raw tag combos than Dante does while also having a better time against hardcore rushdown characters than Dante. Doom is the best support character in the game but Dante is not too far off in 2nd place.

Loona

So is DOA5U a bad fightan? I really like the tutorials/challenges.

It's solid, and Team Ninja has shown willingness to tweak it when necessary.
Lots of simple mechanic elements I like in a fighter and don't see enough of.

two main methods, pick the one that suits your preference:

1) LP -> MP -> HP -> LP or MP -> HP

2) LP -> HP -> MP -> LP -> HP
Thank you. I tried the first one, and I usually end up plinking LP to MP on accident. I just can't seem to spread my fingers out. I will try method two.

gutabo

Thank you. I tried the first one, and I usually end up plinking LP to MP on accident. I just can't seem to spread my fingers out. I will try method two.

If you're going to try the second one, it's easier to practice first doing HP-MP-LP in quick succession because that's basically what you're doing(but starting with the tail of a rep an ending at the beginning of another rep). The jab into fierce electricity can sometimes(like with Honda) NOT be a real blockstring so be careful with it. Try to get some secondary slide technique too for other buttons(like crouching kicks) or for going into jab or ex elec(which have faster startup). And it's always good to have options because your hand(and you) will get tired. I had some weird nail slide tech lol(like crouching LP+LK into sliding MP-HP-MP-LP) and some weird pinky finger shit too(for ex) but it worked so I kept using it, my point is that it always comes down to doing whatever works for you.

Top Bottom