• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 1-7 | Guest characters are banned

fader

XOTby

It's gotta be a street fighter announcement. I still highly doubt it will be a new SF exclusive to PS4 though. Probably just exclusive content.

probably a USF4 port

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
probably a USF4 port
Actually something I can totally see Sony paying exclusivity for.

Also is anyone else getting some really low and choppy framerate on these Injustice PS4 cutscenes? Don't remember it being that bad.

Man, it seems like EVERYTHING in the the JP copy of Xrd is in English.
Story mode too.

EVERYTHING? Like, menus too? I can set the game to English and there won't be a moonrune in sight?

I got off the worst with a couple facial fractures, but my friends have some torn ligaments and other minor injuries. Looking at the car's condition I think we're all just grateful that we survived. One of my Asus monitors and Xbox 360 got crushed in the accident, so I'm on PC and PS3 until I get another one. :(

:/

I have a spare copy of KOF13SE if you need/want something to play.

Why do people dislike fighting games? I've noticed in a lot of the speculation threads today people were outright saying they hate fighting games or they don't one of the announcements to be one.

On a forum that's big on the Souls/Bayonetta and other gameplay driven games, I expected a little less anti-FG mindsets.

Link to examples please?

casperOne

Didn't Justin and most other players(excluding Champ) have that attitude for quite a while during Chris' dominance run?

Can't recal, honestly. Even if Justin did, he decided to do something about it, and found that there was something he could do about it.

Well, that's...subtle.

probably a USF4 port

He's tweeted images of the PS4 controller before. If this is really it, and that's all he's indicated that the media should come to Capcom Cup for, then I think that he could take a shot to his credibility.

DOA5 is coming to Steam o_O

While I don't play the series, PC support for fighting games is definitely a good thing. Steam knows how to move games (they're wicked good at recommending the timing and amount of discounts), which for any genre, isn't a bad thing.

Kimosabae

Banned
Remember hadouken cabs tho? Literally nothing.

I see that as an instance of something being teased before it was ready. Clearly, something is happening with Street Fighter on Playstation 4.

But seriously, if it turns out to be *itwasnothing.gif* I will seriously purge Ono's name from my CPU memory and put anyone who even mentions his name on permanent ignore status.

Astarte

I got off the worst with a couple facial fractures, but my friends have some torn ligaments and other minor injuries. Looking at the car's condition I think we're all just grateful that we survived. One of my Asus monitors and Xbox 360 got crushed in the accident, so I'm on PC and PS3 until I get another one. :(

I don't know how I missed this, but I'm glad that nothing really horrible happened. God that's such an awful situation though.

This Venom vs FAB matchup seems rough. I am not sure I even want to try anymore.

Edit: Just the back and forth between setting up the balls, baiting finger flicks, and avoiding getting grabbed by pot looks like a whole lot of work.

.la1n

He's tweeted images of the PS4 controller before. If this is really it, and that's all he's indicated that the media should come to Capcom Cup for, then I think that he could take a shot to his credibility.

Assuming he had credibility when it comes to this stuff to begin with, which he didn't.

This Venom vs FAB matchup seems rough. I am not sure I even want to try anymore.

Edit: Just the back and forth between setting up the balls, baiting finger flicks, and avoiding getting grabbed by pot looks like a whole lot of work.

I didn't think anyone else was watching Joniosan. For however rough the matchup may seem it seems like FAB's getting the edge on the majority of these matches. Dude just needs one counter hit AA and you've lost 50%.

For anyone interested :
http://www.twitch.tv/joniosan

Good ol' morning Xrd arcade stream. FAB on deck.

Sayad

I think Ono genuinely believes his announcements are exciting despite rarely ever being perceived that way by anyone else. That's probably the saddest part.
He love the fans craziness and reactions but he's probably aware of over-hyping stuff, he tried to deflate some of Decabre's hype/tease on the bases that some fans might be disappointed(a clone of a really hated character), while USF4's director had no idea why the fans would be disappointed during one of Q&A sessions they did with the fans.

Street Fighter 5 will be PS4 only.

Also played Xrd a few hours. Netcode is okay but not as good as UNIEL. The game is not as pretty on PS3 as it is on PS4, mostly because of aliasing that is more present on PS3. Also passed my PS3 in 720p and the game looked way prettier/less blurry.

Like the gameplay as it's GG but some characters looks too basic for an AC player. Also I love the YRC when attacking like sweep, gunflamme YRC attack on wakeup. But when it's done in the middle of a round when you both have control it's strange and it's not pleasant at all when both characters are using it one after the other as it kills your commitment and momentum. Will play more all the weekend before reviewing it for work.

alstein

Street Fighter 5 will be PS4 only.

If this is case, it would have huge implications for FGs, or it could really hurt SF5's acceptance, especailly if it's not good at launch.

That said, I suspect if there is an exclusive , it will be a timed exclusive.

Kimosabae

Banned
And for those talking about FGs being hard, answer me this: did you think they were hard before you started adopting competitive values? When you were just beating up on your friends and ignored the SRK inputs because they were too complicated and you didn't necessarily need them to beat your friends?

PS4 purchase justified if SFV news is true.

Horseress

If this is case, it would have huge implications for FGs, or it could really hurt SF5's acceptance, especailly if it's not good at launch.

I don't think it would "hurt" that much. SF5 will probably come out late 2015/2016, a time where PS4's will already be everywhere. It's not like KI coming out with the XBONE and forcing everyone to buy a new console to play that game

And for those talking about FGs being hard, answer me this: did you think they were hard before you started adopting competitive values? When you were just beating up on your friends and ignored the SRK inputs because they were too complicated and you didn't necessarily need them to beat your friends?

before i discovered the concept of competitive gaming, supers and specials were the first hurdle i came across in any new game, but after a 2-3 day period were a common staple in my repertoire.

at that point it no longer was about learning efficient comboes, but just doing flashy shit to beat my brothers. flashy being spamming specials and the most extensive comboes being jump in sweeps.

And Q and Urien

this opens up a deep wound.

At this point, i am scared Q has been delegated to the skullomania status

WarRock

Listening to Heavy Day forever since I can't play Xrd )=

Why do people dislike fighting games? I've noticed in a lot of the speculation threads today people were outright saying they hate fighting games or they don't one of the announcements to be one.

On a forum that's big on the Souls/Bayonetta and other gameplay driven games, I expected a little less anti-FG mindsets.

Being big on Souls means nothing. It's a fad, not unlike SF2 was back in the SNES days.

Didn't Harada say they couldn't use Q in TxSF? Like, he definitively removed the possibility of including him for some reason.
Well, he IS a Robot Keiji rip off...

Sayad

Never for SF2/MK2/UMK3(this had some pretty hard target combos though), but with the start of 3D fighters and the introduction of supers things started to get harder. With games like Tekken 2/3, SFvsX, Alpha 3, KoF99 and most FGs of that era, there was a need to hit the training mode to figure out things. I'd say by then FGs became more complicated than most other genres.

SF5 for next gen consoles with free to play mechanics where you buy characters in packs, with free characters being swapped by season.

Salex_

i think people are taking online into consideration when they say that. If you're a casual player that has no interest in actually learning the game, you're going to run into good players (the chances increases the longer the game is out) and probably won't get a chance to play. They have to stick to arranged matches to constantly play against players on their level. I won't believe anyone that says it's too hard if they're just playing with friends on their level.

I was around 7-11 when I used to play Tekken 3/TTT, Melee, Budokai, Bloody Roar, Medabots AX, Urban Reigns, etc with my friends/cousins. I just played for fun, but I wanted to beat them, so I used some common sense after losing.

"Okay, when I do this slow move they always hit me if they block it. I should stop using that so much and use faster moves."
"I keep getting hit by this projectile! I need to block/dodge it next time."

Maybe it helps that the cousin that I grew up playing games with was a competitive person. I always spent hours every weekend playing several 1v1 games (Pokemon, SA2 battle, Yugioh, etc).

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I used to play fighters against the computer and my brother when I was a lil guy, didn't think they were hard.

DOA5 is coming to Steam o_O
It doesn't even strike me as strange. DOA and Soulcalibur have always struck me as particularly good candidates for release on PC. The modding, characters and overall world fit in nicely with that crowd imo.

Next year is going to be amazing for Japanese software loving PC gamers between REMake, DOA5 and the inevitable new stuff Sega will have for us after Valkyria Chronicles PC did work.

Kimosabae

Banned
Never for SF2/MK2/UMK3(this had some pretty hard target combos though), but with the start of 3D fighters and the introduction of supers things started to get harder. With games like Tekken 2/3, SFvsX, Alpha 3, KoF99 and most FGs of that era, there was a need to hit the training mode to figure out things. I'd say by then FGs became more complicated than most other genres.

Right, but what primarily motivated you to "hit training mode" and "figure out things"? Where'd that "need" come from?

Kimosabae

Banned
elaborate

It still looks great, but it's noticebly worse than the PS4 footage I've seen. Image quality is really rough and and has a grainy look to it that reminds me of Guilty Gear Isuka from back in the day. It just took me by surprise especially after seeing it on Art's stream last night, where O thought it looked great.

Top Bottom