• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 1-7 | Guest characters are banned

MormaPope

Banned
So people in the other thread are stating that SFV is exclusive because Capcom didn't want to greenlight because of expenditures. Sony came in and allowed it to happen same as how Microsoft did it for Dead Rising.

This pretty much feeds into the narrative that Capcom is struggling financially... they can't even seem to get non RE games made without someone else bankrolling it. This really doesn't surprise me all that much but again people like Riposte are going to come in asking for citations about all this hearsay and how we are just all salty over Megaman.

There really is no reason for them to go this route unless they were strapped for cash. Xbox One is doing decent enough where they can get good money from a Xbone version.

Agreed.

The Light

So people in the other thread are stating that SFV is exclusive because Capcom didn't want to greenlight because of expenditures. Sony came in and allowed it to happen same as how Microsoft did it for Dead Rising.

This pretty much feeds into the narrative that Capcom is struggling financially... they can't even seem to get non RE games made without someone else bankrolling it. This really doesn't surprise me all that much but again people like Riposte are going to come in asking for citations about all this hearsay and how we are just all salty over Megaman.

There really is no reason for them to go this route unless they were strapped for cash. Xbox One is doing decent enough where they can get good money from a Xbone version.
If this was dragon's dogma 2 I would agree, but its street fighter. I see it more as a Tomb Raider situation as a game that was going to be made anyway, but getting a few more dollars for making it exclusive for a bit. This is purely speculation by me tho.

BadWolf

what
the
fuck

Okay before I post impressions, is there any information besides the trailer hidden in that massive thread, like a Press Release?

Capcom released the trailer by mistake, they already took it down. There's no press release.

That big thread is full of console wars.

Ryu gi is so goddamn dirty lmao

nigga must smell like month old countblackule sitting out in the sun

jQIXnci.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Man, it really happened. This is one of the biggest exclusivity announcements in forever, if ever. Gaming side is appropriately spinning their heads even though with any foresight you can tell the revision will be multiplatform.

notworksafe

Man, it really happened. This is one of the biggest exclusivity announcements in forever, if ever. Gaming side is appropriately spinning their heads even though with any foresight you can tell the revision will be multiplatform.

What's gonna be their reaction when the announcement hits that it's gonna be F2P?

Dahbomb

If this was dragon's dogma 2 I would agree, but its street fighter. I see it more as a Tomb Raider situation as a game that was going to be made anyway, but getting a few more dollars for making it exclusive for a bit. This is purely speculation by me tho.
I had assumed this too but some insider in the other thread is claiming that Ono wanted SFV to be made but was struggling to get it approved and that's when Sony came in. This is sounding very much like a Dead Rising situation.

I am pretty sure that if tomorrow DMC5 gets unveiled it might end up being console exclusive as well. If Capcom is struggling to get out SFV then there is no way they are going to make a DMC5 without additional money hats. Probably applies to Dragon Dogma Online as well (unless it's a rebranded Deep Down which would also be nuts).

Skab

Man it's going to be weird switching from 4's giant ass roster to 5's more than likely much smaller launch roster.

hitsugi

Just put Karin in and we're good.

..maybe this game will have the rest of the 3s cast as well.

The reason for exclusivity is painfully obvious, but it looks like an insider already verified that.

I'm hype and not hype at the same time. I kinda wished they went in a different artistic route but I guess they already have the assets and don't need to change much. Trying to keep my expectations in check though

Dahbomb

I'm hype and not hype at the same time. I kinda wished they went in a different artistic route but I guess they already have the assets and don't need to change much. Trying to keep my expectations in check though
They are probably going to rehash a ton of the same animations as well.

Hopefully this gets us more characters out of the gate quicker.

TOPANGA LEAGUE (A) ROUND 10

First day of the finals league.

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv193028175 - Free viewing period over.

Today's matches:

sako (Ibuki) vs. Bonchan (Sagat)
3-7 ☆ ●●●●○●○●●
Michael-tan (Ken) vs. Momochi (Ken)
6-8 ☆ ●○●●○●●●○○○|●●
sako (Elena) vs. Uryo (Chun-Li)
7-3 ☆ ●○○○○●●○○
Michael-tan (Ken/Sagat) vs. Bonchan (Sagat)
4-7 ☆ ●○●●●●○○●●
Umehara (Evil Ryu) vs. Momochi (Ken)
8-6 ☆ ●●●○○○●○●●○|○○

wow bonchan making a bad matchup look free

Busaiku

Nothing will compare to Dragon Quest IX.

Azure J

Ah Dragon Quest IX. When GAF was a simpler and much more biting place.

Edit: I agree Onemic, although I never saw a situation where I wouldn't be happy with it over time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
  • I'm very happy this even exists. Been crying forever about how this is exactly what the FGC and the genre at large needs to reinvigorate itself. I can only see this benefiting GG next week as well.
  • Disappointed at the visuals being highly derivative of SFIV, most notably reusing ink effects. Yes, it's early, but I don't think anything will change drastically considering they felt this was something to debut the game with instead of a cold debut. I think the ink stuff was beautiful, but it also worked in part because the models were a bit cartoonier and the colours more saturated, neither of which are in the video.
  • I mean, we have pretty shitty footage to work off of, and it seems like there's quite a bit going on in terms of complex background geometry and there being lots of light sources, but they don't appear to be dynamic (again, maybe this is also for clarity purposes but I don't really believe that people get that confused, not even old man Tekken players). Overall, it doesn't have that generational step look, and kind of contributes to the feeling that they whipped this up in the SFIV engine and are indeed very early on the project.
  • Pretty funny how the ink effects have a shadow but the [ugly ass] car doesn't lol
  • Too early to tell if that is a super or an Aerial Rave from Chun, but I'm not so confident about the latter because they'll almost assuredly try to make it closer to Marvel given their attempts to liven up SFxTK and USFIV.
  • Plasma effects look pretty awesome, but I could do without the yellow lightening bathing it as well (but perhaps this is a gameplay modifier? Perhaps it's the gem/groove system I've been harping on about for years).
  • I don't think you can infer anything gameplay/narrative/setting-wise from these vertical slices. Any differences can be attributed to having better technology to flesh out what the developers initially intended. This futuristic street may as well be a past setting retconned visually.

what if the cuts of the actual gamplay from the older sf games are confirmations of characters. They mainly showed chun,ryu,ken,and the one where jwong beats a dudley

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I think if they want to try to make SF5 more sustainable monetarily; they drop the roster down to 12 or so core characters (and sell the game for $30 or so), and then do a yearly balance patch + 4-6 character patch. Ultra did re-invigorate the scene, and I think the yearly balance changes will keep the game from getting too stale. You can add new characters bit by bit, and then release a full compilation every year on disc.

I'm admittedly not a fan of this, as this is a more expensive route; but Capcom is pretty hosed in terms of money it seems.

notworksafe

I think if they want to try to make SF5 more sustainable monetarily; they drop the roster down to 12 or so core characters (and sell the game for $30 or so), and then do a yearly balance patch + 4-6 character patch. Ultra did re-invigorate the scene, and I think the yearly balance changes will keep the game from getting too stale. You can add new characters bit by bit, and then release a full compilation every year on disc.

I'm admittedly not a fan of this, as this is a more expensive route; but Capcom is pretty hosed in terms of money it seems.

The KI route seems perfect for this tbh. Have seasons where eight characters are $20 and there's the option to pay $40 for all eight characters, their costumes, and a classic game with online play. Also offer a free version with one or two characters that rotate monthly.

DRE Fei

It wouldn't surprise me if sony stepped in and threw down some cash for that exclusivity. Didn't ono tweet something a while ago about capcom not wanting to fund sfv? I think both capcom and the industry at large don't have a lot of confidence in the genre, which is understandable since arcades died a long time ago.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The KI route seems perfect for this tbh. Have seasons where eight characters are $20 and there's the option to pay $40 for all eight characters, their costumes, and a classic game with online play. Also offer a free version with one or two characters that rotate monthly.
I agree, but I think Capcom can leverage this to make it more lucrative for themselves, because they don't appear to see the advantage in lowering the barrier of entry to astronomically increase the number of people playing.

Top Bottom