• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 15-21 | I did the math; it came out to 500,000

jubonga

Neo Member
I've sorta recently got into fighting games this year and I play on keyboard. I've been playing kof13, mbaacc, ssf4ae (haven't got ultra yet), skullgirls, and 3rd strike on fightcade. In each game I input a direction or movement and it sometimes doesn't come out. Is this because of keyboard ghosting or am I just pressing keys to fast? I think melty blood is the best example because half circles never come out. So I was thinking about graduating from keyboard to a stick and I heard about the stickless hitbox arcade. Does anyone here have experience with it? Because it's a pretty big commitment if I buy one, at least I believe it is. http://a.pomf.se/dvockb.webm This is me trying to do arc drive on ryougi.

Shouta

idk, I just know there's 3 Apex qualifiers this weekend :p

Yeah, we have a 1000 dollar melee pot bonus and it's an Apex qualifier this weekend. So it should be big for Smash as always. For other games we'll be showcasing a lot of local folks.

Kimosabae

Banned
Reading about the details of Xrd's story is stimulating. When plastered onto anime tropes, they're pretty stupid. A lot of the mystique and edge of the characters has been ruined for me

I've sorta recently got into fighting games this year and I play on keyboard. I've been playing kof13, mbaacc, ssf4ae (haven't got ultra yet), skullgirls, and 3rd strike on fightcade. In each game I input a direction or movement and it sometimes doesn't come out. Is this because of keyboard ghosting or am I just pressing keys to fast? I think melty blood is the best example because half circles never come out. So I was thinking about graduating from keyboard to a stick and I heard about the stickless hitbox arcade. Does anyone here have experience with it? Because it's a pretty big commitment if I buy one, at least I believe it is.

This is me trying to do arc drive on ryougi.

You're probably right, have you checked to see if your keyboard has n-key rollover?

If not then it's possible some of your inputs are just getting eaten because they're overlapping.

Reading about the details of Xrd's story is stimulating. When plastered onto anime tropes, they're pretty stupid. A lot of the mystique and edge of the characters has been ruined for me

Totally agree.

its also the best fighting game to come out this year. ;)

Someone obviously needs to play more fighting games.
fckrsjzs5lpmuupsphi4.gif

Git gud bruh

Pompadour

It was so funny to see people lambast BlazBlue characters while praising Guilty Gear's.

Guilty Gear's character designs aren't without their flaws but Blazblue's fighters are such vanilla anime archetypes the game world comes off as a parody of itself. Frankly, the new characters in Xrd also seem to suffer from generic anime design.

CPS2

Keyboards have different limits on simultaneous inputs too. My laptop maxes out at 2 or 3 I think, I just know its pretty useless for making TACVs because I can't even do direction + button + frame advance. But at least my desktop keyboard is ok for everything except like drill claws n stuff.

its funny to see a fighting games thread where ppl go ham on story mode :/

On the topic of storymodes and seeing that MBAACC gif, I think OG melty blood was one of the first games that attempted to mix hardcore visual novel material with fights.

It had varying routes and choices and bad ends and everything, still stripped-down compared to a full VN but still pretty wordy--to the point that you were doing way more reading than fighting.

I think Arcsys followed up on this and they made a lot of effort over the years to try and find how they should present a story mode to the player.

GGXX had light dialogue and 'character routes' with special win/lose conditions.

Blazblue was extremely wordy and went from having special win/lose condition routes to just have 'pick a route per-character then play the real ending route' to 'play these 3 set routes/timelines'(not counting joke routes). Things progressively got streamlined, and the number of choices you had to make to experience everything got reduced.

Xrd has streamlined things all the way to just making story mode a thing you watch with no input.

Kumubou

I've sorta recently got into fighting games this year and I play on keyboard. I've been playing kof13, mbaacc, ssf4ae (haven't got ultra yet), skullgirls, and 3rd strike on fightcade. In each game I input a direction or movement and it sometimes doesn't come out. Is this because of keyboard ghosting or am I just pressing keys to fast? I think melty blood is the best example because half circles never come out. So I was thinking about graduating from keyboard to a stick and I heard about the stickless hitbox arcade. Does anyone here have experience with it? Because it's a pretty big commitment if I buy one, at least I believe it is. http://a.pomf.se/dvockb.webm This is me trying to do arc drive on ryougi.
Two things:

1) Melty Blood's command interpreter is goofy, don't worry too much about randomly fucking things up when you start -- it takes a bit to get used to. The older games were designed for keyboard play, but the inputs were made more strict when they started making arcade versions.

2) It looks like you keep transitioning from down-back to down-forward without ever having both left and right released for even a frame -- you're probably going too fast. The motion is kind of weird to learn on a keyboard, but you're going to have to learn it if you decide to get a Hitbox anyway.

As for what to use... honestly, you can use whatever you want. The one concern I would have with keyboard play is that pretty much no events accept keyboards unless you're crazy enough to wire one up as a PS2 or PS3 pad (and some people have done this). Keyboard ghosting can also be a huge problem, especially in games that require a lot of button inputs at once. If you have a keyboard with anti-ghosting tech on it, you should be OK (edit: darkblade77 is right, specifically what you are looking for is X-key rollover, with X being 8 or more) but if you have some random $2 e-machine job then you're probably hosed. If anything, keyboard/hitbox users can do some suuuuuuper cheap shit, especially in 3D fighters (due to how the movement in Tekken and VF work).

Rhapsody

Banned
Seems like my PS4 friend played my PS3 friend. The experience was just like when I played my PS4 friend.

I get a smoother connection fluctuating from 2-4. PS4 friend gets 8F delay or higher and struggles on inputs.

Gonna have to wait until PS3 gets the patch, but it's so weird that the actual delay is different.
My side was always really playable while the other was completely underwater.

Just on the topic of input ghosting and keyboards, I want to reiterate that "_-key rollover" is the term you want to look for/find out when you're looking for something to play fighting games with.

The blank represents how many simultaneous button presses you can hit without something being eaten. So think about the worst possible case of how many buttons you may have to press within a really short timeframe and make sure that number is higher.

i.e. if you have something that's at least 8-key rollover, you're probably fine for most things.

Ideally you want n-key rollover because that means everything and you don't have to worry about it. You can literally roll your face over the keyboard and not a single keystroke will be missed.

Keyboards that have a high rollover value tend to require PS/2 connections instead of USB, but I think there are exceptions to this now.

If you want to find out more, check out PC-GAF or the mechanical keyboard thread.

Uraizen

Banned
Seems like my PS4 friend played my PS3 friend. The experience was just like when I played my PS4 friend.

I get a smoother connection fluctuating from 2-4. PS4 friend gets 8F delay or higher and struggles on inputs.

Gonna have to wait until PS3 gets the patch, but it's so weird that the actual delay is different.
My side was always really playable while the other was completely underwater.

I'm surprised the PS4 and PS3 versions can play together at all right now since the PS3 version doesn't have the update.

Exr

Like I said before, Im pretty sure being able to see the latency mid match is fucking with people.

And my internet is fairly average.

3988016598.png
Lol fairly average...it says right there how average it is. Of course you can stream and play xrd with little delay, look at your percentage. Plebs like me with internet thats like 5 times slower have to have great netcode.
Arksys games usually have great netcode even for me, but hearing about experiences that have delays of 5 or more frames freaks me out.

TheShah

Just realized they took out input shortcuts in omega mode. Not able to do a shoryuken from crouching anymore. Omega Bison is hands down the most fun character to play.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The Fight Before Christmas added to OP.

Also, that Riptor trailer is incredible. KI continues to impress, wow. I really hope the game is doing well.

Man just thinking about the added $500k prize pool to next year's tournaments, I can't wait to see a lot of talent from other fighting games try their hand at SF. The total prize pool for next year's tournaments is most likely $600k when you factor in the rest of the tournaments. Topanga League alone gives up about $20k in prizes.

I'm just excited at the potential new players or returning players to the scene.

Kimosabae

Banned
I remember back when the OG Devil May Cry dropped. One of the most interesting things I'd read regarding the game was the symbolism behind the colors of the characters Dante and Nelo Angelo. Apparently, the Japanese associate the color Red with "Good" and the color Blue with "Evil", which is a total inversion of the Western, Judeo-Christian interpretation of the colors. Add to the fact that Dante was a devil. That was hella cool.

Anyways, Guilty Gear XX released not long after. You had all these truly weird and edgy characters with very little frame of reference for their archetypes and motivations. Ky and Sol's relationship I always found stimulating because of the overt religious under/overtones, their representative colors and the fact that I couldn't understand a goddamn thing they were saying to one another. So going off what I learned from DMC, I always kind of saw Ky as the badguy; posing as a self-righteous beacon of Justice, with sinister motivations hiding beneath that veil. He was a politician looking to manipulate people into seeing Sol as the villain. I saw Sol as the good guy, perpetually misunderstood by everyone around him, partly because of Ky and partly because he could channel the powers of Satan. I thought the layers there were damned cool. So cool, in fact, most people know me today by "Kye" - I stole that nickname from Guilty Gear.

Basically, I filled in the gaps on my own based on my limited understand of Japanese culture and liked it.

Fastforward to Xrd, and the fact they're both essentially Gears and are totally being played straight, pretty much mitochlorian-ed this dynamic to sleep for me. Just give me Johnny.

Zissou

Man just thinking about the added $500k prize pool to next year's tournaments, I can't wait to see a lot of talent from other fighting games try their hand at SF. The total prize pool for next year's tournaments is most likely $600k when you factor in the rest of the tournaments. Topanga League alone gives up about $20k in prizes.

I'm just excited at the potential new players or returning players to the scene.

I doubt anybody who hasn't already placed top 8 at major tournament has a shot of finishing in the money at capcup next year (or even making it in). I would make that bet any day.

I doubt anybody who hasn't already placed top 8 at major tournament has a shot of finishing in the money at capcup next year (or even making it in). I would make that bet any day.

I can see Japanese players picking up the game and becoming really good. There's a lot of players that don't play anymore and would be godlike if they were to pick it up again.

Kindevu, RF, Iyo, Ojisan boy, etc...

Plus there's a lot of players over there who still play the game, but aren't as dedicated as they were just two years ago. The only thing holding them back is that they will find it tough to qualify for without a sponsor.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I remember back when the OG Devil May Cry dropped. One of the most interesting things I'd read regarding the game was the symbolism behind the colors of the characters Dante and Nelo Angelo. Apparently, the Japanese associate the color Red with "Good" and the color Blue with "Evil", which is a total inversion of the Western, Judeo-Christian interpretation of the colors. Add to the fact that Dante was a devil. That was hella cool.

Anyways, Guilty Gear XX released not long after. You had all these truly weird and edgy characters with very little frame of reference for their archetypes and motivations. Ky and Sol's relationship I always found stimulating because of the overt religious under/overtones, their representative colors and the fact that I couldn't understand a goddamn thing they were saying to one another. So going off what I learned from DMC, I always kind of saw Ky as the badguy; posing as a self-righteous beacon of Justice, with sinister motivations hiding beneath that veil. He was a politician looking to manipulate people into seeing Sol as the villain. I saw Sol as the good guy, perpetually misunderstood by everyone around him, partly because of Ky and partly because he could channel the powers of Satan. I thought the layers there were damned cool. So cool, in fact, most people know me today by "Kye" - I stole that nickname from Guilty Gear.

Basically, I filled in the gaps on my own based on my limited understand of Japanese culture and liked it.

Fastforward to Xrd, and the fact they're both essentially Gears and are totally being played straight, pretty much mitochlorian-ed this dynamic to sleep for me. Just give me Johnny.

You learn something new everyday.

Oh those fucking midi-chlorians.....*shivers*

SPEAKING OF NEXT LEVEL BATTLE CIRCUIT
Is anyone else still completely impressed by how fucking dominating PIE has become on the East Coast. Shit's insane. I mean shiii Smuggers is still in braces, yo.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Oh those fucking midi-chlorians.....*shivers*

SPEAKING OF NEXT LEVEL BATTLE CIRCUIT
Is anyone else still completely impressed by how fucking dominating PIE has become on the East Coast. Shit's insane. I mean shiii Smuggers is still in braces, yo.

Didn't he graduate high school already? FGC gossip at its finest.

NEO0MJ

This is so stupid looking.

Guilty Gear's character designs aren't without their flaws but Blazblue's fighters are such vanilla anime archetypes the game world comes off as a parody of itself. Frankly, the new characters in Xrd also seem to suffer from generic anime design.

Maybe what you're seeing has to do with the new artstyle?

I thought that was more because it was the color of the british.

jubonga

Neo Member
Two things:

1) Melty Blood's command interpreter is goofy, don't worry too much about randomly fucking things up when you start -- it takes a bit to get used to. The older games were designed for keyboard play, but the inputs were made more strict when they started making arcade versions.

2) It looks like you keep transitioning from down-back to down-forward without ever having both left and right released for even a frame -- you're probably going too fast. The motion is kind of weird to learn on a keyboard, but you're going to have to learn it if you decide to get a Hitbox anyway.

As for what to use... honestly, you can use whatever you want. The one concern I would have with keyboard play is that pretty much no events accept keyboards unless you're crazy enough to wire one up as a PS2 or PS3 pad (and some people have done this). Keyboard ghosting can also be a huge problem, especially in games that require a lot of button inputs at once. If you have a keyboard with anti-ghosting tech on it, you should be OK (edit: darkblade77 is right, specifically what you are looking for is X-key rollover, with X being 8 or more) but if you have some random $2 e-machine job then you're probably hosed. If anything, keyboard/hitbox users can do some suuuuuuper cheap shit, especially in 3D fighters (due to how the movement in Tekken and VF work).

Just on the topic of input ghosting and keyboards, I want to reiterate that "_-key rollover" is the term you want to look for/find out when you're looking for something to play fighting games with.

The blank represents how many simultaneous button presses you can hit without something being eaten. So think about the worst possible case of how many buttons you may have to press within a really short timeframe and make sure that number is higher.

i.e. if you have something that's at least 8-key rollover, you're probably fine for most things.

Ideally you want n-key rollover because that means everything and you don't have to worry about it. You can literally roll your face over the keyboard and not a single keystroke will be missed.

Keyboards that have a high rollover value tend to require PS/2 connections instead of USB, but I think there are exceptions to this now.

If you want to find out more, check out PC-GAF or the mechanical keyboard thread.

Thank you for the reply, help, and info. I found out from reviews that my keyboard has a 6-key rollover. I think I'll just buy a hitbox.
I tested it on a site and some keys don't register as being pressed while holding down 3 keys, mostly the ones I set to use in fighting games.

Kimosabae

Banned
I thought that was more because it was the color of the british.

That could be another layer, too, but I distinctly remember reading about the "Good and Evil" and color association in an EGM Kamiya interview many, many years ago. He also mentioned Vash the Stampede and his red trench coat and i think maybe others.

Beesuit

Yo, so there's nothing preventing dudes picking omega edition in endless matches then? Omega characters versus normal characters lol

dem mortal kombat normals

god that pissed me off so much when I bought MK9 lol

I like Nelo Angelo because playing DMC1 lets me forget that Vergil started out as a total anime nerd-looking, Linking Park-listening, bad poetry journal-writing, dead-roses-hanging-upside-down-on-my-wall social freak. DMC3 is a parody of the cool characters in DMC1. Except Dante, he was kind of a dork, too. The way his voice cracked when he cried over a girl he barely knew that looked like his mom would almost be adorable if it wasn't so sad. Nelo Angelo was awesome, though.

I don't get why everybody says DMC3 is better, though. The enemy AI is way worse outside a few bosses and it's more anime than gothic horror. Even the cool devil triggers from 1 got dropped for those cartoony Kaneko designs. The whole single-player combo generator thing was kind of a turn-off, and seems more masturbatory than anything resembling great gameplay. I mean, even Kobayashi got bored after the 4th game so he pawned the series off to a western studio and made action GOTG Dragon's Dogma. I mean, they're pushing a $40 port with frames per second being a selling point, so somebody out there likes the games. *shrug*

If they do end up making a DMC5, it should be about Nelo Angelo or Sparda. That'd be cool. And bring back Devil Triggers that do cool stuff.

4/5 omega matches are gen assholes.

That's what I was afraid of. I will straight up quit if I run into one of those assholes. Or I'll kick immediately after the match ends if I'm hosting and they don't leave themselves.

But anyways does anybody want to play Omega Mode(or anybody else from Edition Select) with me on PC? The USF4 thread is kind of slow, hoping to find any takers here.

Top Bottom