• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 15-21 | I did the math; it came out to 500,000

I feel like every 3 months there is a new BlazBlue Aksys wants you to buy. They really do a horrid job of trying to ignite any sort of interest in anything but hardcore players.
That is the point of the animu story. They'll string along the single player focused crowd with minimal story updates in the form of DLC characters. The "hardcore" will pay just to keep up with the most current BB console version even if they'll be behind the Japanese in six months again.

ASW knows what they're doing.

IronLich

Trust me when I say that in a fighting game of this volume catching everything is just an absolute impossibility. I expected this to happen the moment the mode released.

Oh certainly. There's gonna be some things that get through, get patched out, and become an afterthought a week or two after the fact, but how bad do you have to be at your testing/game development job to miss "Press LP, now mash LK forever!"?

That is the point of the animu story. They'll string along the single player focused crowd with minimal story updates in the form of DLC characters. The "hardcore" will pay just to keep up with the most current BB console version even if they'll be behind the Japanese in six months again.

ASW knows what they're doing.
Theoretically at some point the animu crowd will just go "fuck this I'll just watch it on YouTube/read a summary on wikia" (which would explain why ASW is so militant about DMCAing story mode videos) and the hardcore will find more productive uses of their time because of the tweaks being dumb.

Well maybe hopefully instead of theoretically.

Karst, have you tried the new Ryu out in Ultra?
I haven't loaded USFIV up at all since the patch, but I saw the video that shows his fireball changes.

I did and Karst will not like that either.

You don't understand his grievances with USF4. It's that it's easy to counter/get in on fireball/zoning characters off of a single read thanks to the various moves that go through projectiles (pretty much every character at least have an EX move that goes through, characters like Shoto have a Tatsu that goes through without using EX).

I don't have a problem with that personally even though I play Guile. I like that I can't just sit back and win with just fireballs all day... would be way too cheesy.
A large part of it is that the game's neutral is just not interesting to me. Everything is so slow and unsafe. I like games that reward aggression, and I don't feel like USFIV does that until you earn the first knockdown. I also think the oki game in SF is goddamn stupid.

I also started out playing Guile, but it's just so slow and boring even when you successfully play your fireball game. Street Fighter just never makes me feel alive. It doesn't have the adrenaline rush other fighting games give me. Just boredom mixed with frustration.

Oh certainly. There's gonna be some things that get through, get patched out, and become an afterthought a week or two after the fact, but how bad do you have to be at your testing/game development job to miss "Press LP, now mash LK forever!"?

Frame data could have changed at the last minute and they know and haven't fixed it yet or it simply slipped through the cracks since there's like 50 characters and two different modes they're working on.

Marz

I haven't loaded USFIV up at all since the patch, but I saw the video that shows his fireball changes.

A large part of it is that the game's neutral is just not interesting to me. Everything is so slow and unsafe. I like games that reward aggression, and I don't feel like USFIV does that until you earn the first knockdown. I also think the oki game in SF is goddamn stupid.

I also started out playing Guile, but it's just so slow and boring even when you successfully play your fireball game. Street Fighter just never makes me feel alive. It doesn't have the adrenaline rush other fighting games give me. Just boredom mixed with frustration.

Street Fighter is like a better version of chess to me and I love chess.

The mental battles you can have with your opponent are pretty much unrivaled in any other fighting game and that's why I find it so enjoyable.

Its a frustrating game no doubt but it makes the victories that much sweeter because the losses are so agonizing and soul crushing.

Kumubou

Frame data could have changed at the last minute and they know and haven't fixed it yet or it simply slipped through the cracks since there's like 50 characters and two different modes they're working on.
I would think a modern development studio would have a large amount of situations like this automated in their test suite, and that would be run against every nightly build. That would help catch a lot of random regressions like that, even in a large project. You can't test everything like that, but it means your QA team can focus on other issues. The again, this is Capcpom we are talking about.

The mental battles you can have with your opponent are pretty much unrivaled in any other fighting game and that's why I find it so enjoyable.

Its a frustrating game no doubt but it makes the victories that much sweeter because the losses are so agonizing and soul crushing.

yupyupyup

enzo thought marvel was like chess, had me like
tLQ8B.png

What kind of games are you playing with those Tiger Knee's on block tho? More like rock paper scissors witcho ass

Hm... Super Arcade is relocating https://twitter.com/SuperDojo/status/544931744437514241

Not going to jump to any conclusions, but it's not something I was expecting to hear.
I don't think the news is going to be received well after the funding for the renovations though.

wtffff. Futhermucking bon of a sitch. I really wanted to go there over the break. :(

Side note, WHERE TF IS MY KOF 98!??!?!??!? MY YAMAZAKI NEEEEEDS MEEEE
41335_89792dfa7e2ddbbf86d2ac9d60d5accd.gif

vulva

Whoa now, lets not compare Super Dodgeball with the game Capcom told us isn't even a game.

Team USA my Steve Sato would fuck you all up.

Hm... Super Arcade is relocating https://twitter.com/SuperDojo/status/544931744437514241

Not going to jump to any conclusions, but it's not something I was expecting to hear.
I don't think the news is going to be received well after the funding for the renovations though.

People have been bringing up that it's probably the landlord raising rent that's already too high, which seems likely.

Either way, sucks for Watson

And sucks because it'll probably move farther away and I won't be able to go :( (Well, less than I already go, which is 0, but at least I have a relatively easy ability to go where it's currently at)

Marvel is bughouse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyIYFGUNIhc

I honestly get very little pleasure out of my victories in SF.

I spent a good 10 years playing competitive chess, and the difference between that and SF is that aggression wins in chess. All fighting games have mindgames. I love them because, like you, I feel like they are a faster-paced chess with even more depth. SF is on the shallow end of that for me (in terms of enjoyment).

Sayah

You take that back. SFIV is fun.

Maybe you should finally get around to giving TTT2 a fair chance if you want adrenaline rush. :D

kirblar

Ultra moved much more towards the direction of "Senor Footsies" - if the patient back and forth spacing game isn't your thing, you're probably just better off playing another game.
Or El Fuerte

Top Bottom