• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 15-21 | I did the math; it came out to 500,000

I did the tutorial and started doing several of Faust's trails. I feel like I really need a joystick now but really enjoying the explanations. Not sure I am going to remember any of them, maybe that Burst is like meter and using cancels to make moves safe. I really like the dashing (used to two button dashing from marvel) and feel like jump canceling jumping attacks is where you get all the dirty stuff.

Okay, I am going to hunt Tiger in Far Cry 4 but really happy to play Xrd and maybe sleep on the ideas about the mechanics.

Q, I am glad I got it (so far).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm glad that I'm officially done with making /OT/. Smash 3DS OT and Smash U OT were a lot of works for me and Xane so I'm very glad that I got both threads done on time.

Well, I might change my mind in the future but it's unlikely tho.

This is just like you getting banned for a week (2 weeks?) right when Vanilla Marvel 3 dropped when you were the acting head of the hype train/threads for it. :lol

Clearly this means I should avoid GAF if a new StarTropics or Mysterious Murasame Castle happens in the future.

Heh, I still remember that day. It was pretty bad timing for everyone.

AND THEN AGAIN WHEN UMVC3 CAME OUT

Really? I don't really remember that one but I know I have been following MVC3 and UMVC3 Threads carefully.

Clawww

thanks. wow thats...sad... i read this and just think its pathetic on both ends. who gives a fuck about who makes an OT...like is it that prestigious or something to some people? at the same time, if dahbomb caught feelings he should be able to express that. gaf takes itself -WAYYY- too seriously sometimes man...its a game forum not a concentration camp

yea the whole situation is pretty cringey on every level

is it a permaban for d-bomb for sure tho?

anyways, I wonder if any marvel vergilmonsters who haven't played DMC will go in on the SE?

mbpm1

yea the whole situation is pretty cringey on every level

is it a permaban for d-bomb for sure tho?

anyways, I wonder if any marvel vergilmonsters who haven't played DMC will go in on the SE?

It's been confirmed that it's not a permaban

Dahbomb will return
with DMC 5

logo.png

Damn though, that sucks. Well, I'll try to put the pieces together. Don't want to to beat a dead horse.

Edit:

Well then.

kasane

Its really interesting to watch people talk about daigo when he was young. Nuki was talking about how daigo was arrogant and his interview on gods garden, he was asked how he felt when he won the zero 3 championship and he was like " ha of course ". Would have been interesting of daigo was still like this

Really? I don't really remember that one but I know I have been following MVC3 and UMVC3 Threads carefully.

I remember it like it was yesterday. People had found scans of all the Ultimate win portraits and were plastering them all over the thread, and enzo took the bullet along with a few others.

NEO0MJ

Its really interesting to watch people talk about daigo when he was young. Nuki was talking about how daigo was arrogant and his interview on gods garden, he was asked how he felt when he won the zero 3 championship and he was like " ha of course ". Would have been interesting of daigo was still like this

Guess he felt that he was too old to keep acting like that?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I remember it like it was yesterday. People had found scans of all the Ultimate win portraits and were plastering them all over the thread, and enzo took the bullet along with a few others.
It was scans of the costumes from the guide IIRC. Anyone who quoted it caught the fade lol

Daigo was clearly the better player at that time according to Nuki.

Nuki has a lot of great stories of Daigo, Tokido, Sako, etc... Some are subbed on youtube, and others are on nico nico.

A new guilty gear is truly the sign of the dark ages

Of course, paper bags are known for their occluding properties.
And exploding, apparently.

I still need a character to play. The system feels lovely but can't decide between Faust, Zato, Millia and Ram-chan.

I traded my copy in for Xrd.

I just can't take Smash seriously, no matter how hard I try. It's just a party game to me but I have mario kart 8 or munchkin for when people come over.

Munchkin is a horrible thing that should be purged from the annals of humanity.

There's no hostility on GAF, that's an instant ban.

But GAF is master class in how good they are at being passive aggressive.

I hate enforced politeness. It's bs. Like, on Order of the Stick's D&D forums there's this troll that nitpicks stuff to no end and ruins+derails threads with it. But he never ever insults anyone. He just makes inane statements that some unknowing newbie might think are true but are not so people feel the urge to refute them and the circus keeps going. The statements are oftentimes blatantly idiotic but you can never say that to his face.

Hell, you can't even criticize the behavior itself. "[nickname] causes that need with his incessant nitpicking, and claims that casters will be caught with their pants down when they routinely prepare obscenities like Polymorph that are so open-ended it's not funny. There's a point where the brain just pleads no more and needs to scream." is warning-worthy.

It's maddening. Hell, someone asks how to make a good setting with barbarians in it and model their and city states' relations. But no, please don't outline theories on how these things came to be and the underlying cultural assumptions because that'd veer too close to real-world politics (damn, Sherlock). Can't even talk about history.

Rainy

Banned
MIKE ROSS WITH THE COMEBACKS AT WNF THO.

Edit: WNF results (No Snake Eyez)
1. Chris T
2. Brentt
3. FilipinoMan
4. Velociraptor
5. Mike Ross
5. Iansanity

They said WNF will be back in a month at the new location.

Sayad

This is literally the opposite of true for all software development
Depends on the software but I agree - finishing a software project is much harder than starting it.
Depends on how you tackle development, this is true with most games, where you could be half way through development but still not have anything in a state where you could show to the public as your game is nowhere near finished. If you develop like this, then most of the work will be at the end, while polishing your game, fixing the bugs and getting it ready for release.

The other way is starting development by building a small vertical slice(using a small team), and making sure it's a true representation of how the end product will be. This vertical slice could end up being a single level/section in the final game, so even if it was only 5% of the final game, while developing it, you were making characters, controls, testing the mechanics, testing what's fun/good and what isn't. So it will end up taking way more than 5% of the overall work. Until early during PS3 life, most Japanese devs used this method, though I doubt many of them still use it, well, I know at least Nintendo still does.

For a fighting game, you want to use the second method, have two(or one even) characters, test the system/mechanics/engine for a while, see what you're comfortable with then move into full development. That's how GGXrd was made and Ono did tease about having a small team testing stuff for a new fighting game a while ago.

Still, which ever method was used, the final stage of development always take a big chunk of the overall work. I think the best way to put it is that the first 10% could take the most time to get done(usually with a much smaller team) while the last 10% require the most over all work.

NEO0MJ

So, how do you convince your friends to try out a new game? I want them to play GG Xrd but they're pretty stubborn and refuse to try new things. If it isn't Smash or Tekken they often won't give it a chance.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Depends on how you tackle development, this is true with most games, where you could be half way through development but still not have anything in a state where you could show to the public as your game is nowhere near finished. If you develop like this, then most of the work will be at the end, while polishing your game, fixing the bugs and getting it ready for release.

The other way is starting development by building a small vertical slice(using a small team), and making sure it's a true representation of how the end product will be. This vertical slice could end up being a single level/section in the final game, so even if it was only 5% of the final game, while developing it, you were making characters, controls, testing the mechanics, testing what's fun/good and what isn't. So it will end up taking way more than 5% of the overall work. Until early during PS3 life, most Japanese devs used this method, though I doubt many of them still use it, well, I know at least Nintendo still does.

For a fighting game, you want to use the second method, have two(or one even) characters, test the system/mechanics/engine for a while, see what you're comfortable with then move into full development. That's how GGXrd was made and Ono did tease about having a small team testing stuff for a new fighting game a while ago.

Still, which ever method was used, the final stage of development always take a big chunk of the overall work. I think the best way to put it is that the first 10% could take the most time to get done(usually with a much smaller team) while the last 10% require the most over all work.

I have never worked with a Dev, Producer, or anyone else that liked making Demos. They force you into doing a bunch of work that inevitably has to be revisited down the line.

Even if you have two characters and all the systems in place, the balance pass at the end alone in fighting games is going to be a bitch.

The crunch time is always so, so real.

mbpm1

MIKE ROSS WITH THE COMEBACKS AT WNF THO.

Edit: WNF results (No Snake Eyez)
1. Chris T
2. Brentt
3. FilipinoMan
4. Velociraptor
5. Mike Ross
5. Iansanity

They said WNF will be back in a month at the new location.

so is Chris gonna share the pot again because Snake eyez let him win?

Kappa

Spuck-uk

Banned
If they're playing Tekken, they're already playing the best fighting game, so I can see why they wouldn't want to experiment.

So, how do you convince your friends to try out a new game? I want them to play GG Xrd but they're pretty stubborn and refuse to try new things. If it isn't Smash or Tekken they often won't give it a chance.

I sugg--

play with new friends

Err, this is actually a fine answer. I've got a group of friends that are kind of similar. I met them by playing Soul Calibur 2 at a local arcade many years back, and we would up playing Soul Calibur 2 on consoles and then eventually the first Guilty Gear XX. As time passed, I got into many others fighting games and tried to get that group of friends into them, but they really only took to SC2 and GGXX. They gave the other fighters a try, but just didn't like anything other than SC2 and GGXX. Heck, they even didn't like future Soul Calibur sequels; pretty much just Soul Calibur 2.

If those friends end up refusing to try anything other than Smash and Tekken, then the "playing with other friends" suggestion is probably your best bet. Some folks just like what they like, and there's no turning them away.

MechaX

Man, I had a strange dream where Capcom decided to let an early SFV demo be played at NLBC. Sanford was playing Sagat and for reasons that elude me, fucking Valle was there for some reason. And Ryu had double fireballs, air fire balls, and a divekick, and Maximum Spider Ultra of all things.

I don't know if this is a sign of things to come, or a sign that I should just get back to playing Xrd now that work has calmed the fuck down through the New Years.

Man, I had a strange dream where Capcom decided to let an early SFV demo be played at NLBC. Sanford was playing Sagat and for reasons that elude me, fucking Valle was there for some reason. And Ryu had double fireballs, air fire balls, and a divekick, and Maximum Spider Ultra of all things.

I don't know if this is a sign of things to come, or a sign that I should just get back to playing Xrd now that work has calmed the fuck down through the New Years.

it's a sign of things to come
for sf5 omega

Marz

Bug the fuck out of them

NEO0MJ

If those friends end up refusing to try anything other than Smash and Tekken, then the "playing with other friends" suggestion is probably your best bet. Some folks just like what they like, and there's no turning them away.

You see...

Maybe they have jobs

Yeah. Most of us are 24+ years old. Kinda hard to get a new circle formed at this age and most people in my area don't play much video games, especially not anime fighters. I guess we play those two series the most because we played them a lot when we were more free to practice.

Bug the fuck out of them

Maybe this will work.

Top Bottom