• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 15-21 | I did the math; it came out to 500,000

AAK

M4IM949.png

He has returned.

I honestly think that's one of the trolliest things Capcom could ever do.

That's like the equivalent of puttikng Karin in USF4 and then you find out she's just a palette swap of SFxT Lili or something. Give people a new game!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
We haven't gotten that far yet but we're taking all of the community feedback into account for next year for sure. We need to do our own post-mortem here internally and see what we come up with.

Question, are the comments on NeoGAF taken into account too as part of the community? It'd be pretty neat if there was some voting system to bring at least 2-4 players off of popularity like it was done last year instead of players who are sponsored and well known steam rolling the competition for points.

What isn't coming for pc?

Devil May Cry with the new adondae.

Meltdown 3 is on Saturday. London branch of Louffy's sponsor is hosting a big SF tournament. Louffy is a special guest and Ryan Hart will probably be going.

You can read all about it on Facebook, the UK scene's replacement for a proper community website.

Busaiku

We haven't gotten that far yet but we're taking all of the community feedback into account for next year for sure. We need to do our own post-mortem here internally and see what we come up with.

Can you clarify if the $500,000 is in the single, final event?
Or is it being spread across the year like in 2012?

Dahbomb

I honestly think that's one of the trolliest things Capcom could ever do.

That's like the equivalent of puttikng Karin in USF4 and then you find out she's just a palette swap of SFxT Lili or something. Give people a new game!
It's not a troll given that people have been asking this for 7 years...

Well it really depends on how it's handled, if Vergil is just a paletta swap of Dante that would be lame but I don't believe it is as there aren't enough Vergil moves in DMC4 to make a full movelist out of. Also all these new editions being announced only further supports that DMC5 is in the works. There is no reason for them to update a 7 year old game unless something bigger was coming.

Oh and I almost passed out from a HYPE COMA today. Last time I was this much hyped was when UMVC3 was leaked.

Shouta

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. It was a little rough around the edges from my standpoint but overall really pleased with how everything came out and gave me a point of reference in terms of what to improve for next year.

The great thing is we now have a pretty cool platform to use next year in terms of production for CPT that can scale in a lot of different ways so I'm really excited. Need to get some rest for a while though before all that. lol

Just a bit of feedback, you guys really need to have the player match-up splash screens built up ahead of time. it's a lot more front end work for the graphic designers but since you have a bracket up, they can create the necessary images based off the potential matches. That should save time at the event itself because there won't be a need for long breaks outside of lunch. it was pretty easy to tell you guys had folks making assets during the tournament which necessitated giving them some time. =P

Here is my tiny little feed back. Throw 20k at every Premiere Event. Make everybody hungry to come and win one of those tourneys. Still leaves a ton of money left for Capcom Cup itself. But imagine SCR or Final Round with EVO type money. All the top guys will come and even pot monsters like myself will just want to be apart of such a amazing event knowing how it'll be part of something even bigger.

Kumubou

Nice title. :p
:V

The Capcom Cup was a good look, even though it was rough around the edges. I would attribute that to a lot of growing pains, which is a good problem to have (especially now that the resources to grow out are actually there).

My one thought regarding piped-in commentary: ditch it, and instead make the stream audio available over an in-house network so anyone who wants to hear it with earbuds or something can without disrupting the crowd or the players.

My one thought for SF5: Please don't use delay-based net code. Please don't use delay-based net code. Please don't use delay-based net code. Seriously, it's that important.

AAK

It's not a troll given that people have been asking this for 7 years...

Well it really depends on how it's handled, if Vergil is just a paletta swap of Dante that would be lame but I don't believe it is as there aren't enough Vergil moves in DMC4 to make a full movelist out of. Also all these new editions being announced only further supports that DMC5 is in the works. There is no reason for them to update a 7 year old game unless something bigger was coming.

Oh and I almost passed out from a HYPE COMA today. Last time I was this much hyped was when UMVC3 was leaked.

I think it's more of a darkstalkers situation where they need a certain amount of sales and they'll greenlight the sequel.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Just a bit of feedback, you guys really need to have the player match-up splash screens built up ahead of time. it's a lot more front end work for the graphic designers but since you have a bracket up, they can create the necessary images based off the potential matches. That should save time at the event itself because there won't be a need for long breaks outside of lunch. it was pretty easy to tell you guys had folks making assets during the tournament which necessitated giving them some time. =P

The player match up screens were all dynamic. All the work was done ahead of time.

smurfx

get some go again
please do top 32 and have 2 streams at the same time.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
:V

The Capcom Cup was a good look, even though it was rough around the edges. I would attribute that to a lot of growing pains, which is a good problem to have (especially now that the resources to grow out are actually there).

My one thought regarding piped-in commentary: ditch it, and instead make the stream audio available over an in-house network so anyone who wants to hear it with earbuds or something can without disrupting the crowd or the players.

My one thought for SF5: Please don't use delay-based net code. Please don't use delay-based net code. Please don't use delay-based net code. Seriously, it's that important.

Lots of discussion about the in-house commentary. I think more people will come out to events if we can recreate the stream production in-house as well but as you see there are some issues that come with that as well so we need to see what the best solution is.

Personally I don't like the idea of putting players in booths so I'm a little lost in terms of a solution at the moment but we'll come up with a good compromise I'm sure.

please do top 32 and have 2 streams at the same time.

Personally I think having two streams for an invitational is a really bad idea. I'd like to have it as one cohesive viewing experience but we have some ideas on how to get the best of both worlds even with demanding schedules.

Malice215

Have 3/5 in some form time permitting. Invite back this year's winner and A Rival for the 2015 finals and cut down on some of the downtime and you'll have yourself another hit.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I'm hella excited for this upcoming year in the FGC. Shit is gonna be good.

If a patch for Ultimate is announced and being upgraded to next-gen consoles, then yes.

Have 3/5 in some form time permitting. Invite back this year's winner and A Rival for the 2015 finals and cut down on some of the downtime and you'll have yourself another hit.

Maybe the downtime was out of their control in between matches or something. It would be nice if they bring back Momochi and next year's winner to face off for a money match. Wish this could be done for Marvel too. It might be a possibility since Sony and Marvel talk to each other.

Please haunts, 3/5, there is too much money on the line and during matches the number of viewers was steadily increasing, people want to watch the matches more than anything else.

This times 500,000.

Kikujiro

Please haunts, 3/5, there is too much money on the line and during matches the number of viewers was steadily increasing, people want to watch the matches more than anything else.

CurlyW

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. It was a little rough around the edges from my standpoint but overall really pleased with how everything came out and gave me a point of reference in terms of what to improve for next year.

The great thing is we now have a pretty cool platform to use next year in terms of production for CPT that can scale in a lot of different ways so I'm really excited. Need to get some rest for a while though before all that. lol

Since everybody's giving feedback it appears, I just wanted to point out a couple things:

1) Having Mike Ross introduce all 16 players one at a time up front with no graphics was strange.

2) Please have somebody who knows how a 16-man double-elimination bracket is supposed to work actually run the tournament.
I nominate myself.

The moving player profiles were great, and I really liked the way the player icons during the match would switch back and forth between their country flag and their sponsor logo. I've been wanting to do something like that for a community run-event, but with state/province flags, so I'd be super interested to know how you did that (and if it would even be feasible at an event with more entrants and multiple games).

EDIT: Also, I think the ideal format for an event like this would be a two-day affair where the first day was round-robin pools (4 groups of 4) and the second day was an 8-man double-elimination bracket (top 2 make it out of each pool) with 3/5 game sets. Obviously there's a lot of issues in play, particularly regarding availability and cost of the venue, but in an ideal world, I think that sort of format would be nice.

pls have intro music for everybody. Would love to see ryan hart bust out the moves like he did at ceo. That and maybe a fantasy bracket thing for watchers.

Question, are the comments on NeoGAF taken into account too as part of the community? It'd be pretty neat if there was some voting system to bring at least 2-4 players off of popularity like it was done last year instead of players who are sponsored and well known steam rolling the competition for points.

Strongly disagree about fan voting. Too much prestige and money is on the line for it to be fan voting IMO.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
For movies, specifically Spider-Man. Nobody gives a shit about video games there.

images

Strongly disagree about fan voting. Too much prestige and money is on the line for it to be fan voting IMO.

To a certain extent I agree but what if Pepeday or Smug were in the Cup? It would have certainly been a lot more exciting than having Chuchu IMO. The FGC knows how to pick its players when it isn't trolling.

smurfx

get some go again
Personally I think having two streams for an invitational is a really bad idea. I'd like to have it as one cohesive viewing experience but we have some ideas on how to get the best of both worlds even with demanding schedules.
i mostly just want the matches recorded instead of forever being lost or only getting cell phone footage.

Dahbomb

I think it's more of a darkstalkers situation where they need a certain amount of sales and they'll greenlight the sequel.
I think it's the opposite, I think DMC5 has already been green lighted and Capcom is putting out both of these editions to help fund the cost of the game and put out brand awareness of DMC.

Like everything you see in DmC DE screams "RETURN TO ROOTS". The only piece of info we know about DMC4SE screams fan pandering.

They are making a new edition to a game that came out 7 years ago... you don't really do that unless something is in the works. Plus all the other hints like the DMC trademark renewal, DMC in MH, teasing from Kobayashi/Itsuno... I really truly believe it's happening.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yams, stop trying to make "the patch" happen. It's not going to happen.

Damn, ma heart is hurting Beef-kun.

I think it's the opposite, I think DMC5 has already been green lighted and Capcom is putting out both of these editions to help fund the cost of the game and put out brand awareness of DMC.

Like everything you see in DmC DE screams "RETURN TO ROOTS". The only piece of info we know about DMC4SE screams fan pandering.

They are making a new edition to a game that came out 7 years ago... you don't really do that unless something is in the works. Plus all the other hints like the DMC trademark renewal, DMC in MH, teasing from Kobayashi/Itsuno... I really truly believe it's happening.

Dahbomb's face as we speak:

Kikujiro

And you should definitely try to find a way to build up the last three matches. Having a short break just before winners and losers finals means losing viewers.
Let someone like Mike Ross on the stage make another introduction of the three finalists and hype the crowd or whatever, just not a break screen.

For SFV, please add a Quest Mode like Virtua Fighter 4 Evo, you could call it "Road to Evo" or "Road to Capcom Cup" mode, where the player has to travel around the world trying to make money and win in various tournament (you can use the real tournaments to promote them), the AI players could be based on real players.
It will be the long an meaty mode that casual players need to be happy, outside of the token story mode.

To a certain extent I agree but what if Pepeday or Smug were in the Cup? It would have certainly been a lot more exciting than having Chuchu IMO. The FGC knows how to pick its players when it isn't trolling.

Invitationals are fine for $1000, but like OSU said, we're talking about 6 figures here. Make the players earn there money. If they have to travel overseas, so be it. If they have to enter a PS3 and 360 online tournament every month then so be it. Use every means you can to get there if that's your goal. But don't make it a popularity contest. I like Smug and Pepe as well but no way should they get in because people enjoy watching them play while other guys have to battle through a 250 man tourney.

CurlyW

Pepeday and Smug both had their chances to qualify and neither could do it. A major problem with voting is that the community cares far more about recency than about overall accomplishments. Nobody was talking about Ryan Hart going into Capcom Cup because his biggest wins were several months ago. There's also that time that /r/Kappa voted Ultradavid into an invitational they were running, even though he asked people not to vote for him.

I also feel bad for Chuchu because he had to face Infiltration and Bonchan. I don't think Justin or Ricky does any better against those two than he did.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Invitationals are fine for $1000, but like OSU said, we're talking about 6 figures here. Make the players earn there money. If they have to travel overseas, so be it. If they have to enter a PS3 and 360 online tournament every month then so be it. Use every means you can to get there if that's your goal. But don't make it a popularity contest. I like Smug and Pepe as well but no way should they get in because people enjoy watching them play while other guys have to battle through a 250 man tourney.
Pepeday and Smug both had their chances to qualify and neither could do it. A major problem with voting is that the community cares far more about recency than about overall accomplishments. Nobody was talking about Ryan Hart going into Capcom Cup because his biggest wins were several months ago. There's also that time that /r/Kappa voted Ultradavid into an invitational they were running, even though he asked people not to vote for him.

I also feel bad for Chuchu because he had to face Infiltration and Bonchan. I don't think Justin or Ricky does any better against those two than he did.

I agree with both statements, work was put in and the results showed who deserved to get into Capcom Cup.

Sheroking

I don't even give a shit about the character action genre, let alone DMC, but Dahbomb is right. There is no reason for them to remaster these games unless they wanted to reignite the fanbase for another DMC game.

Yo what's up with Omega mode characters have different motions for their moves o_O

Whole point of Omega was to make characters different and better.

Shoto Dee Jay is something to behold.

Dahbomb

On Capcom Cup.

*3/5 at the minimum please, too much money on the line.

*Cut down on the musical shows/bands and breaks please. I really liked that when the matches started it was back to back action but when the breaks kicked in it really broke the momentum of the event.

*No popularity contests please, the qualifying events were fine and I do like that money is being split towards those events as well.

*Top 16 is fine and I am OK with having it be 2 days as well (if 2 days then you probably should do a Round Robin group format first).

On Capcom Cup.

*3/5 at the minimum please, too much money on the line.

*Cut down on the musical shows/bands and breaks please. I really liked that when the matches started it was back to back action but when the breaks kicked in it really broke the momentum of the event.

*No popularity contests please, the qualifying events were fine and I do like that money is being split towards those events as well.

*Top 16 is fine and I am OK with having it be 2 days as well (if 2 days then you probably should do a Round Robin group format first).

* Better math please

Tirael

That's what I was thinking. Even before they pointed out the new costumes, Dante was in a classic costume the vast majority of the time. And then on for the rest of the trailer.

Also what is Vergil in DMC4 except fan pandering?

PANDERING I WILL HAPPILY EAT UP

kirblar

I suspect the online qualifier may need to become a flight to a major tournament or something instead- the idea is good, but the payoff is too much relative to effort. Having a "guaranteed" spot for a SA/APAC/USA player for At-Large might be a good fix. ChuChu/Du both going out relatively quickly wasn't really the best look.

Kimosabae

Banned
Bring the bands back, because it's a great way to give back to the community (which is more than just the people that compete in FGs and watch streams) but save it for before/after the event, please.

Dahbomb

I suspect the online qualifier may need to become a flight to a major tournament or something instead- the idea is good, but the payoff is too much relative to effort. Having a "guaranteed" spot for a SA/APAC/USA player for At-Large might be a good fix. ChuChu/Du both going out relatively quickly wasn't really the best look.
Du still did a lot better than Justin Wong and did about the same as Daigo...

Top Bottom