• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 22-28 | On the Xrd Day of Christmas

Nyoro SF

I actually really enjoy DBFC. I feel like it's a competent fighter, it's just...

1) Shana
2) Continuing a combo with an assist allows you to purple burst = L O L
3) Air unblockable normals that aren't head invincible and as such favor the characters with the fastest or most gorilla normals
4) Shana
5) Accelerator assist corner pressure might be the craziest thing I've ever seen in regards to oki + lockdown, seriously why is she standing out there so long? PLS NERF
6) Shana

Kumubou

Alright kids, I need some recommendations.
UNIEL is by far the best game in your list, and it's not really close. However, the game is coming out in the US in February so I would just hold off (and to support Aksys for localizing it), especially if you want a physical copy. Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax is pretty good, especially if your into those characters. Shin Koihime Musou is very straightforward (and surprisingly dry, outside of the fatal counter combos), and it's a fairly barebones release, if I remember correctly. Phantom Break Extra is straight asswater, don't waste your time on it. I'm not even sure what to think of Nurarihyon no Mago (it's the only one I haven't played), but I saw kubo and company streaming it at pre-KVO and it looked silly as fuck.

As an aside, DBFC's neutral is surprisingly legit, and I don't think Shana is the only problem (Kirino, Kuroyukihime and Selvaria want to ask what's really good), but she is a very real problem, between her dumb good buttons and absurd meter growth.

Rhapsody

Banned
I actually really enjoy DBFC. I feel like it's a competent fighter, it's just...

1) Shana
2) Continuing a combo with an assist allows you to purple burst = L O L
3) Air unblockable normals that aren't head invincible and as such favor the characters with the fastest or most gorilla normals
4) Shana
5) Accelerator assist corner pressure might be the craziest thing I've ever seen in regards to oki + lockdown, seriously why is she standing out there so long? PLS NERF
6) Shana

No hating on my main.

Plus Kirino's even stronger.

Edit: Accelerator assist is like the footdive of assists lol. And that one with Last Order is pretty dumb at times.
I heard Alicia's assist was really good with setups, but I never messed with that yet.

Nyoro SF

No hating on my main.

Plus Kirino's even stronger.

Edit: Accelerator assist is like the footdive of assists lol. And that one with Last Order is pretty dumb at times.
I heard Alicia's assist was really good with setups, but I never messed with that yet.

I use Alicia assist, it is quite good and allows followup pressure after all knockdowns and a launch combo that allows me to combo into purple burst. It's probably the 2nd or 3rd best assist in the game.

I'd contest that Kirino note though. Shana is a way bigger bully and since I play Selvaria, who is twice as tall as most characters I have to deal with this flying little redheaded jerk with ridiculous air pressure while trying to anti-air with my crappy 5A /salt

Kyamei is my hero but I didn't see him fight any Shanas on the way to winning NEC so no matchup notes ;_;

I'm not sure what they were thinking with Accelerator assist though. At full range the girl is not a threat (I'm obviously not going to fire a projectile at her or anything) but the fact that you can summon his "wave" attack and get 6 bounces is just the developers being assholes. lol

Rhapsody

Banned
Shana's 5A > 5B > 5C > 5AB 236+AB 5B 214C > 41236+BC when in Powered Up state is such an easy high damage combo for me lol. Plus the fact they gave me basically a Vergil DT air dash was awesome.

I should sort of play the game again. I definitely wasn't using her as well as other players do.
Plus I should probably switch Kujou assist to Kino.

i just remembered about the ps online store

elphelt and christmas colors now

a ps4 and gg later

also, i really wanna know the evo list

LegatoB

It's pretty funny how strong some of the post-launch assists in DFC are. I don't know why you wouldn't pick one of Kino/Lightning Blockstun/Divekick/Last Order/Alicia (and maybe Dokuro-chan if you're Akira). They're so much better at what they do (and how flexible they are) than all the other assists.

I didn't really expect to like that game, but it's actually a lot of fun, I like hitting people with full-screen Stand attacks.

Busaiku

elphelt and christmas colors now
I remember when Christmas colors weren't DLC.
0efbxVR.gif

soakrates

Hey so I finally got Xrd and a PS4 stick. Anyone want to play tonight or tomorrow? I'd prefer PS4 to PS4, but if the cross-platform play finally got unborked, I'm down to try that as well.

But it's free DLC.

But you know what's not free? The DLC colors for the DLC characters

I guess someone realized they were losing money when they gave them away with the characters in BB

And the PS+ exclusive colors . . . not sure if the completionist is strong enough in me to buy in for that

Oh, maybe I could use the plus trial for them

I wouldn't mind paying for them, but locking them out for people without plus is annoying

Rhapsody

Banned
I think this is the first time where I'm actually not that interested in buying a DLC character right away.

P4U2 and BB, I did. Marvel 3 I did since it is a team based game, so I wanted even more possibilities.

I'm just not that excited for Leo, especially since I have a lot of fun with the current cast.

Uraizen

Banned
Alright kids, I need some recommendations.

First off, I love, love, LOVE 2D fighting games, the more hand-drawn, the better. To me, they're srota like pizza or ice cream; even when they're bad, they're still pretty good.

Having said that, I feel I've already devoured any and all domestic 2D fighting games (BazBlue, KOF, SFIV, Persona Arena, Aquapazza, Arcana Heart, etc.), so now I got my sights set on importing some 2D goodness from Japan.

Here are 5 I've narrowed it down to, and it would be cool if I could get your thoughts. Also, if they're import friendly - I know they're all-region, and will play on my PS3, but will I understand the menus, controls and what the hell I'm doing?

- Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late

Now I know it's coming to the US in a few months - I guess I could wait that long, but I should be able to get the import for the same price now.

The best of the bunch, by far. If you can't wait, then buy this.

- Phantom Breaker: Extra

This was supposed to come State-side, but it never materialized.

- Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax

Don't know shit about this game, just that it's from Sega and has some Sega references in it.

Thoughts?

I only left the ones I own, but I would go UNIEL >>> DBFC > Phantom Breaker.

It was Phantom Breaker that was meant to come state-side, Extra is the sequel(?). DBFC is ... Just get UNIEL, it's the best thing on that list and probably one of the best anime fighters I've played.

Nyoro SF

Charging for colors which is quite literally hex edits is pure robbery... there, I said it.

The moment I saw that arcade Xrd was limited to 6 colors per character I knew that scumbaggery was coming.

I think this is the first time where I'm actually not that interested in buying a DLC character right away.

P4U2 and BB, I did. Marvel 3 I did since it is a team based game, so I wanted even more possibilities.

I'm just not that excited for Leo, especially since I have a lot of fun with the current cast.

I saw his playstyle and decided I wasn't interested. I don't think I've ever bought an Arcsys DLC character.

JeTmAn81

I reviewed my Marvel 3 playtime.

PS3:

2bcp8Xz.jpg

360:

W3X8N83.jpg

Vita:

W2qoaWY.jpg

I also put in probably at least 100 hours in vanilla, and I had at least 100 hours on the Vita before installing the digital version reset my record. So all told, almost 1000 hours of Marvel 3 playtime. Pretty cray. But maybe not as cray as the Vita being my most-played platform...

Azure J

Funny that you mention this now, I was watching some Youtube videos of things like character animations and dialogue with my second sister (art major; doesn't really play games to the level the rest of us siblings do) and the moment she saw Leo's intro and win animations (the fucking teapot... LMAO) she said "I seriously have to play this now."

Edit: Q is the Guiltiest Gear, goddamn.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
UNIEL is by far the best game in your list, and it's not really close. However, the game is coming out in the US in February so I would just hold off (and to support Aksys for localizing it), especially if you want a physical copy. Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax is pretty good, especially if your into those characters. Shin Koihime Musou is very straightforward (and surprisingly dry, outside of the fatal counter combos), and it's a fairly barebones release, if I remember correctly. Phantom Break Extra is straight asswater, don't waste your time on it. I'm not even sure what to think of Nurarihyon no Mago (it's the only one I haven't played), but I saw kubo and company streaming it at pre-KVO and it looked silly as fuck.

As an aside, DBFC's neutral is surprisingly legit, and I don't think Shana is the only problem (Kirino, Kuroyukihime and Selvaria want to ask what's really good), but she is a very real problem, between her dumb good buttons and absurd meter growth.

I CAN GET A PHYSICAL COPY OF UNIEL IN THE STATES?!?!?!?! TELL ME WHERE!

Edit:

I honestly thought it was digital only. Time to reserve a copy!

.la1n

I haven't picked up Xrd yet but I fully plan to support Uniel's stateside release. Wasn't there a patch hitting Uniel sometime before the U.S. release as well?

slop101

Banned
Think I'll get Fighting Climax soon and wait for Under Night's domestic release.
Xrd should more than hold me over until then.

Thanks guys!

Top Bottom