• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 22-28 | On the Xrd Day of Christmas

You just have to make it work.

Man, I have 450 hours into Monster Hunter Tri. No doubt my Marvel time is in the thousands.
I probably have 500 hours between various versions of MH, shit was crazy. MH4U gonna be a ridiculous time sink.

The most important thing for playing fighting games is finding a good group of people to play with. I played four digit hours of Melee in high school cause my brother would always play with me, and in college we'd also just chill after classes and squeeze into a dorm room to play it. (and Kirby Air Ride. When's there going to be City Trial tourneys at a major)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm one of the 13+ million playing Destiny. And just like in Ultra I get people pretty salty in there too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think the most hours I've put into a game is whatever exorbitant amount I put into Halo 3, and then next up would probably be PGR2 which is somewhere between 200-240 hours.

being a fraud never felt so time consuming

kirblar

I think the most hours I've put into a game is whatever exorbitant amount I put into Halo 3, and then next up would probably be PGR2 which is somewhere between 200-240 hours.

being a fraud never felt so time consuming
My day/week 1 Ammy low/Akuma high assist was satisfyingly fraudulent in Vanilla (as people didn't know how to pushblock yet.)

CO_Andy

SNK's been pretty quiet in light of these new fighting game announcements.

I guess a new KOF is expected (in 3D no less), but i would hope they would have the cajones to branch out with one of their other big fighting franchises, like Garou or SamSho.

Riposte

I'm having too much fun combining practice mode's ability to set Faust's item and his 10 item super. Absolutely zero application though lol.

I know I've at least put in 1000-1500 hours into dota/dota2. Probably near 1000 in ffxiv and did put in 800 in gw2. Not sure how many in fighting games, but probably around 7-800.

Uraizen

Banned
1) I actually know why beef dislikes ArcSys games, lol.

2) Who is important?

3) Why should I care what they think?

4) When did people just stop playing games they enjoyed unless it's endorsed by ________? SFxT v2012 should have taught people something.

5) Rhapsody, I have the endless beta (somehow), I can stream it and show you whatever changes you want to see.

I didn't see like quoting.

Azure J

This GRsmash account on YouTube has bee putting up some really entertaining Smash content lately. I'm glad I caught this Top 20 Falcon Punches video. :lol

Sounds about right for someone that plays Bridget :p

Ruthless.

iszZZbJ0HT2gC.gif

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yooooooo this UMVC3 LVL 3 X-Factor Spencer combo by FatTreeWizard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhdHadf1pko&feature=youtu.be

That's pretty cool, highly impractical unless the other playing is winning and wants to rub it in the other player's face.

SF and Marvel were outsourced, ASW is probably more Capcom than Capcom nowadays.

I remember Capcom being an outsource for Nintendo to make both of Zelda games for the gameboy color. Capcom was the company of companies for high quality games, are there any old schoolers still working for Capcom ever since Inafune and a few others left with him?

gutabo

Training mode monsters

You called? Sup! Mind lending me your console for a bit? I want to make some videos BibleThump

Regarding Xrd, I'm not very hype because I don't want to spend the time learning a fighting game from the ground up, only to have all of that training wiped by a new update. Frankly, a lot of it is that I'm just done dealing with ArcSys' crap. That and the netcode being garbagola even by ArcSys standards isn't helping.

As a family man with almost no time to play I have to abide by this. I don't want to give it to Capcom because they don't deserve it, but their updates are far less traumatic. Subtle stuff like potemkin's 2S now pushing the opponent away means new combos and old ones I knew for 4-5 years won't work. Which means my muscle memory is going to get effed up and most likely I'll resort to very basic play(so I won't get perfected by Zato) until I learn the new combos(if that happens before a new update, that is). And that is mostly my problem, not the game's.

People still care about eventhubs? Terribly written articles, dont even have any useful character guides anymore, and seem to cover online matches way too much. I think the only use eventhubs has for me is the stream tracker thing, and even then, that barely works right.
I can't remember the last time I even went to Eventhubs. I go to SRK sometimes, but usually I somehow get the news elsewhere.

This, I mostly browse facebook now and I get the direct links to videos with no ad crap.

Speaking as someone who has never seriously played an ASW game before, GGXrd is a good game. Why people hatin'?

It could be better. Heck, it was already better.

I can't really count them as hours because for me it was a matter of years but as far as most played FG, SF2(and its many versions) wants to take the cake but for me it's definitively MvC2. Nothing will ever beat going to a party, get mildly drunk and party hard till early morning, drop the gf at her place, going with some friends to have something to eat and then taking a nap at the arcade's door until it opened its doors just to play some crack.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Wasn't there a fighting game being based off of MLP but then Hasbro (I honestly forgot the name of the company and Hasbro came to mind first...) filed a C&D on the team? They got the artist for MLP to help them out afterwards with original content. Never watched MLP before but it was really interesting how strong of a following it has with the older male demographic.

mbpm1

Wasn't there a fighting game being based off of MLP but then Hasbro (I honestly forgot the name of the company and Hasbro came to mind first...) filed a C&D on the team? They got the artist for MLP to help them out afterwards with original content.

Yep, it was Hasbro, and that did happen.

Never watched MLP before but it was really interesting how strong of a following it has with the older male demographic.
It's a good show earlier on. Stay away from the bronies tho

They're like Nintendo fans

LeleSocho

Banned
Hey guys i'm not usually around these threads because i'm not technical but i figured i could start having some fighting games buddies.

I recently bought USF4 on pc and anyone here can add me on Steam if you want, nick is LeleSocho.
I'm essentially a points dispenser, i can guarantee i'll lose almost everytime but i'm not a ragequitter and can play for hours not even winning once so if you want to farm some points or want to play for fun using characters you never use in omega mode here i am.

To let you understand how bad i am i'll say that today in 3 hours of play i only won 5 matches.

Everyone welcome even if you have the worst connection on the planet, i don't quit even when there's stupid lagging.

kasane

Hey guys i'm not usually around these threads because i'm not technical but i figured i could start having some fighting games buddies.

I recently bought USF4 on pc and anyone here can add me on Steam if you want, nick is LeleSocho.
I'm essentially a points dispenser, i can guarantee i'll lose almost everytime but i'm not a ragequitter and can play for hours not even winning once so if you want to farm some points or want to play for fun using characters you never use in omega mode here i am.

To let you understand how bad i am i'll say that today in 3 hours of play i only won 5 matches.

Everyone welcome even if you have the worst connection on the planet, i don't quit even when there's stupid lagging.
LELE LETS GET SOME SETS OFF!

wait we're gonan get shit connection wont we

DunpealD

A fellow EU player! Sent invite. So how much do you know about fighting games? Maybe we can get you up to speed. :p

I just love how the whole competitive community has risen with the likes of EVO and things like Capcom Cup. Ultimately I want to be able to walk into a bar like Buffalo Wild Wings and see some competitive play on tv and not just real world sports. I might have to partake in the invite that was inside my copy of USF4. It sounds too awesome talking about seeding and everything. That's right up my alley.

slop101

Banned
Alright kids, I need some recommendations.

First off, I love, love, LOVE 2D fighting games, the more hand-drawn, the better. To me, they're srota like pizza or ice cream; even when they're bad, they're still pretty good.

Having said that, I feel I've already devoured any and all domestic 2D fighting games (BazBlue, KOF, SFIV, Persona Arena, Aquapazza, Arcana Heart, etc.), so now I got my sights set on importing some 2D goodness from Japan.

Here are 5 I've narrowed it down to, and it would be cool if I could get your thoughts. Also, if they're import friendly - I know they're all-region, and will play on my PS3, but will I understand the menus, controls and what the hell I'm doing?

- Shin Koihime Musou

koihime08.jpg

I understand this one's based on some fan-service type anime. I don't care about that, but the art/graphics look very good to me - no idea how the gameplay is though.

- Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late

c6345aff-cfc5-4ac2-af4f-967e558b70a3.jpg

Now I know it's coming to the US in a few months - I guess I could wait that long, but I should be able to get the import for the same price now.

- Phantom Breaker: Extra

pb0_thumb.jpg

This was supposed to come State-side, but it never materialized.

- Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax

QxSfxXT.jpg

Don't know shit about this game, just that it's from Sega and has some Sega references in it.

- Nurarihyon no Mago: Hyakki Ryouran Taisen

18604611.jpg

The wild card! I know this isn't a traditional fighter, and that it's sorta like Smash Bros, but it looks so pretty!

Thoughts?

Rhapsody

Banned
Alright kids, I need some recommendations.

Thoughts?
UNIEL is by far the best out of the bunch, but you're better off just waiting for the US release.

The only other game I have on that list is DBFC. It's an ok fighter, but most of the enjoyment comes from which characters you recognize. It's not a bad fighter, but it's on the plain side. Not a lot of creative freedom regarding combos, but you get to mess with assists in your gameplan quite a lot.

Phantom Breaker always looked pretty bad to me, but I never looked up on that latest version. I've never seen footage of Nurarihyon no Mago's fighter, only screenshots. Koihime's pretty decent I hear. The graphics look weird in motion, but I think it has a decent following in Japan?

There you go. You're starting to get it ;)
We talked about this before!

And I never said you said Xrd was bad. You just seemed to be continuously frustrated with the prospect of having to invest time into getting any good at it and this was compounded by the network issues. I remember you making a comment in the passed day or two about giving up on the game in the Xrd thread, but if I'm wrong, forgive me.
No you are right. I am still debating if its worth my time to continue with it. I just haven't found anything better to do at the moment.

Top Bottom