• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 22-28 | On the Xrd Day of Christmas

I also feel like this entire thread was pumped for GG from announcement until...a week ago? I guess people are happy with another mundane SF update. Personally, I am having a blast with GG and Smash 4. But I also like playing fighting games. /shrug

Just busy doing other stuff and struggling over GG character choice as said previously.

People actually play games in this thread?

Yes?

Please VF6, don't do what Tekken 7 is doing with its presentation. Give us:

- New Default outfits + character designs
- No more legacy animations
- Bring actual fighters and not moe j-pop idols
- Get rid of obnoxious troll customizations

Signed. Except kill customs wholesale, just give solid alts and color options. I'd love a VF with cel-shaded look.

For a traditional fighter, GG actually reminds me of Smash a lot. Lot of neutral play and situational stuff that you have to adapt on the fly.

It's the movement probably. I played a shitton of Smash in compulsory school and have ended up loving high movement fighters like KOF and GG the most.

Unless you were just talking about the gameplay or something.

Was probably talking about gameplay.

Skullgirls is probably the closest thing we've gotten to Darkstalkers in a while and that is why it didn't exactly take over the world. Nobody got time for not-jarring camera panning, 2D (hand drawn or sprite), fast paced gameplay and monstrous/inhuman designs. Lab Zero didn't exactly make it easy for themselves by going with an all girl cast, though. Big Band and Beowulf were sorely needed.

Well... maybe people would have time if the developers had money. ASW could stand to make GG a lot more Vampire-ish, I guess. They can put that on hold until I get my guys in, though. ASW can do whatever they want to the series if we could get Xrd Baiken/Anji or +R PC with reworked online.

Azure J

Feels weird to be hyping GG as a relative newbie when Solar who was arguably one of the bigger heads is putting it on the back burner.

Though I am on the Put_Baiken_In_Xrd train as well.

I've probably put more time into Melee (never with the intention of going pro) than Dahbomb, Enzo and Karsticles have put into MvC3 together . If you search my post history you'd see that I've admitted as much with at least a bit of shame each time. Feels weird not owning Smash U, Xrd or any 3DS Pokemon game (after spending thousands on others).

Oh well, people change and companies target/squeeze new demographics until I find myself in a whole new niche. Can't wait for SFV. It's looking like the most promising fighting game with the crossplay deal they got going.

Azure J

I've probably put more time into Melee (never with the intention of going pro) than Dahbomb, Enzo and Karsticles have put into MvC3 together . If you search my post history you'd see that I've admitted as much with at least a bit of shame each time. Feels weird not owning Smash U, Xrd or any 3DS Pokemon game (after spending thousands on others).

Oh well, people change and companies target/squeeze new demographics until I find myself in a whole new niche.

God DAMN that's a lot of time.

And then I realize I've probably gone further beyond that for the entire franchise to date. :lol

Silky

Banned
I find Skullgirls to be an incredibly intimidating fighter to learn, so I just play to appreciate its style and story.

Rhapsody

Banned
I can't remember the last time I even went to Eventhubs. I go to SRK sometimes, but usually I somehow get the news elsewhere.

EH articles can get annoying, especially since they want those hits fast. I've seen them do articles with a single line saying "more to come when we get more info"

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
MKX and Tekken 7!

Damn, I thought I wrote tekken! Being on mobile is frustrating with corrections. I completely forgot about MKX though. I haven't been interested in NRS games ever since I was annihilated by a superman in MK vs DC.

I don't check any news sites. Just GAF.

Feels weird to be hyping GG as a relative newbie when Solar who was arguably one of the bigger heads is putting it on the back burner.

Though I am on the Put_Baiken_In_Xrd train as well.
Solar only plays fighting games that are as dead as his avatar.

Oh well, people change and companies target/squeeze new demographics until I find myself in a whole new niche. Can't wait for SFV. It's looking like the most promising fighting game with the crossplay deal they got going.
I am pretty sure adding Enzo in is like a + 0.

Looking forward to you coming back to the land of the living again some day.

Rhapsody

Banned
Anybody have non-Twitch vids (since my computer is crappy) of the new Skullgirls beta changes?

I'm curious on what the superjump change looks like.

Shouta

I've actually finished most of Ramlethal's trials which is a first for me in an ArcSys game. They're pretty easy save for the last few which I've only looked at (and promptly quit back to menu afterwards)

I'll probably try and finish all of them. I'm hoping my experience with Ken and Koromaru helps with the later combos since I'm used to having multiple moving parts now.

I just think it's disappointing when Event Hubs will make an article out of CD Jr's Injustice tier list or Scorpion having a block infinite in a show build of MKX.

I just think it's disappointing when Event Hubs will make an article out of CD Jr's Injustice tier list or Scorpion having a block infinite in a show build of MKX.
It's a natural consequence when you show a beta to the public. It's actually a good thing EH talks about the MKX show build, because it means the game is worth talking about.

I think I have or am approaching 200 hours between MvC3 and UMvC3.
Good to hear!

I don't know my time, just that I have ~5000 matches with Dormammu.

fader

People still care about eventhubs? Terribly written articles, dont even have any useful character guides anymore, and seem to cover online matches way too much. I think the only use eventhubs has for me is the stream tracker thing, and even then, that barely works right.

that crap is always broken. Ill check it and it will show only streams with 4-0 viewers

God DAMN that's a lot of time.

And then I realize I've probably gone further beyond that for the entire franchise to date. :lol
Anyone that played Melee and stuck with Brawl could probably say the same. Melee was addictive and time consuming for most. If you could stand to put a few hundred hours into Brawl the total playtime would be gigantic. No way I could do that. I probably put in something like 24-48 hours and forgot about it. Ike and Pokemon trainer were the only Brawl specific reasons why I bothered to play the game afterwards.
I find Skullgirls to be an incredibly intimidating fighter to learn, so I just play to appreciate its style and story.
Understandable

Combo monsters ate everyone alive at the start and even after the changes only the strongest of the strong remained. Luckily the game's ease of play is second only to MvC3 Wesker who you can learn by tongue kissing your pad.
Solar only plays fighting games that are as dead as his avatar.
I have horrible luck and taste for games/characters. If BlazBlue Xrd is announced I won't ask for Rachel or Bang. The same goes for CvS3 and Yamazaki/Hibiki. I'll just refrain from asking for Makoto or Q for everyone else's sake too.
I am pretty sure adding Enzo in is like a + 0.

Looking forward to you coming back to the land of the living again some day.
Whenever SFV comes out.

There isn't enough livestock on Earth to sacrifice for Skullgirls 2.

Azure J

I think I have or am approaching 200 hours between MvC3 and UMvC3.

...that's it? :lol

I think I have like six times that on my Brawl savefile from combined time playing that between 2008 - 2010 and the added time from Project M using the same internal clock (~400ish hours).

Edit: Oh I don't doubt you at all SolarP. I think I might have quad digit times for every variant of Smash before Smash 3DS/WiiU. Those are very easy games for me to leave up and running in training mode or playing FTschleep battles and have been since I got into the series at 10 years old or so.

I dread the day where I get my first big boy "this is for my career" type job or start a family. No more lab monstering. :(

I think I have like six times that on my Brawl savefile from combined time playing that between 2008 - 2010 and the added time from Project M using the same internal clock (~400ish hours).

I dread the day where I get my first big boy "this is for my career" type job or start a family. No more lab monstering. :(

yeah, I just got a real 40 hours a week accounting career type shit right out of college...now I have even less time to not play video games :(

You just have to make it work.

Man, I have 450 hours into Monster Hunter Tri. No doubt my Marvel time is in the thousands.

xezuru

Anyone that played Melee and stuck with Brawl could probably say the same. Melee was addictive and time consuming for most. If you could stand to put a few hundred hours into Brawl the total playtime would be gigantic. No way I could do that. I probably put in something like 24-48 hours and forgot about it. Ike and Pokemon trainer were the only Brawl specific reasons why I bothered to play the game afterwards.

I already hit that point with Melee alone, i think, but with the mainline series, Smash64 probably got a good chunk of relative playtime as well, as it was basically our afterschool hangout and wait for parents to pick us up, casual tournament game. Going back to 64 with mechanics in mind is pretty insane, your health is so volatile in that game it's like the ST of the series, seeing/playing against Isai can make you cry. L-cancelling gives ZERO recovery and Hitstun is insane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9n7B022QvE

Azure J

yeah, I just got a real 40 hours a week accounting career type shit right out of college...now I have even less time to not play video games :(

Accounting on top of everything? :kobeyuck:

At the very least the paper will be right after a few years but after my first experience with that this year for my degree, no thx.

RIP to getting cut the fuck off on Grumble Volcano after front running the whole race.

vocab

I dread the day where I get my first big boy "this is for my career" type job or start a family.

For me that day will be never, but i barely spend time with fighting games. I'm extremely casual and lazy when it comes to actually getting good at 1 fighting game.

alstein

It's incredibly intimidating despite the stuff LZ did to make things easier, and they did a great job of that.

It's because the game punishes even tiny mistakes in a very brutal fashion.

Clawww

you know how you'll spend hours on the internet kind of 'waiting' and convincing yourself to play? sometimes you'll actually play and clock some hours. with a full time job you do that waiting bit and then it's bed time!

I've clocked more hours into marvel than enzo? :eek:

frauds among us

Azure J

I already hit that point with Melee alone, i think, but with the mainline series, Smash64 probably got a good chunk of relative playtime as well, as it was basically our afterschool hangout and wait for parents to pick us up, casual tournament game. Going back to 64 with mechanics in mind is pretty insane, your health is so volatile in that game it's like the ST of the series, seeing/playing against Isai can make you cry. L-cancelling gives ZERO recovery and Hitstun is insane.

It's one of the reasons why even with the relative lack of movement and smaller cast size, 64 still holds a strong positive position in my mind as its own thing. Luigi wall loop combos into Fire Jump Punch on Hyrule Castle, Samus double spikes into techchases, the ridiculous shield stun in that game (seriously, f-smash to push someone against a ledge to guarantee a grab followup was so silly LOL) and of course the best sound design in the series (best crowd, announcer and hit sfx ever) make for something that is still fun all these years later.

Kimosabae

Banned
40 hrs. per week isn't bad at all.

As for time invested in Melee... was literally my life at one point. I hung around very few people that didn't play the game in some capacity. Hell, even my mom played Melee.

Only video game I played throughout college. Time invested is incalculable, and that's just the time actually playing the damned game.

Edit: Oh I don't doubt you at all SolarP. I think I might have quad digit times for every variant of Smash before Smash 3DS/WiiU. Those are very easy games for me to leave up and running in training mode or playing FTschleep battles and have been since I got into the series at 10 years old or so.
Same here, but to a lesser degree. I was never a big fan of leaving electronics on overnight.
Holy crap @ those bottom left combos by that Jiggly. Dude was playing suicide with Yoshi's ragdoll body at 1:15.
Enzo don't play fighters, I thought we all knew this
I got that when I finally played him in MvC3. It was certainly a different experience from fighting SmurfX.
It's incredibly intimidating despite the stuff LZ did to make things easier, and they did a great job of that.

It's because the game punishes even tiny mistakes in a very brutal fashion.
Welcome to VSav

I got that when I finally played him in MvC3.

e5fXW.png

Everyone on blast today lol. I'll just say this right now, though. If someone here isn't a fraud, it's Q. Dude's MU gave me a hard time in CP even though both of us were a bit rusty.

Top Bottom