• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 2-8 | The Great Cave-In Offensive

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
How did I go so long without mapping a second button to H so I could plink H into itself?! Empty cancel reverb shock into fireworks and neutral game weasel shot are now 1000x easier
shout outs to full schedule- extra buttons all dayyyyyyyyy

I feel a LITTLE bit guilty doing it though...

You gotta do what you gotta do to win. I just realized I can plink dash on a controlling by mapping my R2 to L+M+H instead of M+H and plinks are now a thing of ease. I was able to do it with the original format but at a much slower pace and without the awesome OS that comes with it. Grabs for dayssssss.

Smash somehow looks more interesting recently.

We need more nontraditional fighting games.

You just joined the hype train? Welcome.

tLQ8B.png

Azure J

Sin got buffed! Thank you Arc System Works.

I was looking at that shit like "WAT" for the longest.

Same with Leo. Why in the mother fuck would they buff his re-stand to be +3? It was already a gamble trying to do anything more than block even while possessing an invul/reversal style super thanks to him being Aegislash the fighting game character (King's Shield for days). Now he's even more safe to do whatever.They also made his last rekka throw invul for whatever reason. Sword beam S going full screen and H being slower for run in pressure is just ...

BibleThump

Edit: Pastebin for anyone interested.

rookiejet

*elphelt nerfs*

;___;

*more elphelt nerfs*

;___;

ArcSys pls
6a00d8345295c269e201a5116584a7970c-800wi

*zato nerfs*

ARCSYS PLS ;____;

The Zato nerfs seem too harsh to me (atleast on paper).

I'm really glad for Sin's Hawk Baker float attribute buff. Removing the close attack only condition for float status would allow him to convert better from more situations (still have to weigh against the increased damage scaling nerf to raw Elk Hunt to tell, but it's probably positive overall).

Anne

Leo sucks.

Also BS will stun the opponent if they're within a certain range and a projectile is BSed. Kinda need to know what that range is before we say much on it.

Azure J

Elph got a slap on the wrist lmao (and tbh there are worse offenders to be angry about anyways)

This is eerily enough reminding me of everyone rejoicing over the Zero buster "nerf" back in the day just because it was a nerf despite him keeping everything else that led to UMVC3 Zero.

rookiejet

You do realize that the character is still the same except without combo breaking berries now, right? :p

Not really. It's her berries that were her huge advantage. The rest you can actually deal with (and I don't really have a problem with).

Elph got a slap on the wrist lmao (and tbh there are worse offenders to be angry about anyways)

Like who? I haven't looked over Millia's stuff yet. Ramlethal's combo routes seem to have gotten a nerf

Anne

Berry should still work pretty well it's just not a combo breaker anymore. The rest of her is still in tact, the only real thing in the loketest that would make her weak would be if BS affected her oki significantly.

Same with Leo. Why in the mother fuck would they buff his re-stand to be +3? It was already a gamble trying to do anything more than block even while possessing an invul/reversal style super thanks to him being Aegislash the fighting game character (King's Shield for days). Now he's even more safe to do whatever.

Why not? If you always block he gets momentum but you're at least safe-ish, if Leo guesses wrong he gets fully punished or at least mashed out of the stance.

They also made his last rekka throw invul for whatever reason. Sword beam S going full screen and H being slower for run in pressure is just ...

Throw invulnerability on his last rekka seems pointless when it's the second one that would benefit the most from that property. The projectiles buff are a good thing for sure but I doubt it'll change much.

Personally what I most wanted is fS getting a higher attack level so it can combo to HS outside of counterhit :/

Azure J

Not really. It's her berries that were her huge advantage. The rest you can actually deal with (and I don't really have a problem with).

I'm still not seeing anything different in that respect though. They didn't remove block stun/initial hitboxes on the berries and if anything, depending on how this is handled in actual practice, they might have actually made berry zoning better slightly. If they follow the current rules of Pine Berries, when they're detonated by another attack/projectile, she gets access to another one immediately.

Edit: Oh wait, Annel's right re: new Blitz Shield changes. Hmm, this going to be interesting to see play out. I'm just glad I didn't invest much into unblockable setups.

Rhapsody

Banned

Same with Leo. Why in the mother fuck would they buff his re-stand to be +3? It was already a gamble trying to do anything more than block even while possessing an invul/reversal style super thanks to him being Aegislash the fighting game character (King's Shield for days). Now he's even more safe to do whatever.They also made his last rekka throw invul for whatever reason. Sword beam S going full screen and H being slower for run in pressure is just ...

BibleThump

Edit: Pastebin for anyone interested.

I actually wanted Leo's restand to be +3 before the patch list, so I called it lol.

I think before the patch, he would've traded with 3 frame normals (or was it lose) when he did his fastest move.
I'm still not seeing anything different in that respect though. They didn't remove block stun/initial hitboxes on the berries and if anything, depending on how this is handled in actual practice, they might have actually made berry zoning better slightly. If they follow the current rules of Pine Berries, when they're detonated by another attack/projectile, she gets access to another one immediately.

Having to pull out another one after it's detonated by an attack is fine by me. At least she has to pull out another one instead of still pressuring off of it while the pineberry is about to go off.

Azure J

Having to pull out another one after it's detonated by an attack is fine by me. At least she has to pull out another one instead of still pressuring off of it while the pineberry is about to go off.

Yeah, I totally agree. Again, I really like the changes for "normalizing" her/making her less derp (just because now I can finally have conversations and say I'm the Elph main without everyone going all Soul_Eater_grimace.png on me), but there's a lot of weird celebrating like she got Hsien-Ko'd that I don't get. :lol

rookiejet

Edit: Oh wait, Annel's right re: new Blitz Shield changes. Hmm, this going to be interesting to see play out. I'm just glad I didn't invest much into unblockable setups.

Am I misunderstanding this

Pineberry (236P) - now has a hitbox before the explosion, can be pushed away by enemy attacks

Does it not mean I can swat it away, possibly into her face, instead of blocking it or avoiding it?

That's a big difference. Having to block or avoid it gave her a /lot/ of control

Azure J

Am I misunderstanding this

Does it not mean I can swat it away, possibly into her face, instead of blocking it or avoiding it?

That's a big difference.

Oh wait, what?

I think I missed this, lmao. Definitely going to need some visuals, but yeah I'd conceed my point about her playing similarly for that much. (She's still going to be really good though.)

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah, I totally agree. Again, I really like the changes for "normalizing" her/making her less derp (just because now I can finally have conversations and say I'm the Elph main without everyone going all Soul_Eater_grimace.png on me), but there's a lot of weird celebrating like she got Hsien-Ko'd that I don't get. :lol

Like Anne said, she got a slap on the wrist, haha. But yeah, I think most of us are happy on having pineberry nerfs. It was a nightmare to deal with. Also who knows, there might be more changes at the loketest.

Dlent

I think people are underestimating the Elph nerfs. She used to basically win neutral just for drawing the grenade. Need to see the new blitz in action to understand how much it will affect oki.

I'm guessing the entire MadCatz team was invited. It's only a matter of time until Daigo is revealed. Also, everyone has received black phones. Mago's phone was yellow, probably because he will be perfected a couple of times. Mago my man, drop Yang.

He's tried Oni and Chun and didn't seem to stick with either of them.

I feel like Yang sort of fits him, but Yang as a character isn't all too strong.

ShinMaruku

Goddamnit I wanted to try her when she was bullshit and I was late now I have to learn the game. Guess I will make these things settle before xrd. :p

Azure J

Kinda tempted to really sub Leo now, but between my brother making the full switch to that character from Sol and him not scratching all of the itches I want in my second character, I'll stick with Berry Bride.

When's Johnny dammit? A Jam is fine too. :p

ShinMaruku

I kinda want a warcraft theme fighting game with a elephet type character in Solerian so I can taunt "HAHAHA you are hopelessly out matched!"

But that will never happen. Blizzard wants e-sports not fgc. :p

I wish there was a Fantasy themed fighter that wasn't anime like Soul Calibur, Battle Fantasia, Chaos Breaker/Dark Awake.

MKX is the closest I think, you can play as a Necromancer.

Bring back Weaponlord.

He's tried Oni and Chun and didn't seem to stick with either of them.

I feel like Yang sort of fits him, but Yang as a character isn't all too strong.

It does seem like it would fit him, but he's looking free as fuck these days. I think he finished at the bottom of the B League and he always loses in team tournaments.

So did anyone check out that Apex Kotaku article? On mobile so I can't link but damn it was good and brings up what is definitely a big issue

Pappasman

So did anyone check out that Apex Kotaku article? On mobile so I can't link but damn it was good and brings up what is definitely a big issue

I read it. It was rude and I feel bad for Zero, but there are a lot of factors going on here. I really think it was more of "this is going on forever and its already super late" rather than "smash 4 sucks".

One thing i can't seem to see anyone talking about was brought up on Wife's stream last night. He was skyping with Nintendude (one of the TOs at apex) and apparently there was a melee hype video on one of the projectors around that time as well. Probably didnt help the situation.

Scar's comment on the situation is good too: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2upcs0/one_unit_and_the_melee_chant_at_apex/

.la1n

I wish there was a Fantasy themed fighter that wasn't anime like Soul Calibur, Battle Fantasia, Chaos Breaker/Dark Awake.

Bring back Weaponlord.

A new Weaponlord would be amazing, assuming a competent team was put to the task. I think some of the team is with DoubleHelix now but those guys are at Amazon wasting away.

emb

I read it. Ask me anything!

It's weird reading articles like that about Smash. I already know the stuff they're covering, but I usually read just since I think it's cool to have sites like that covering the Smash community.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So there is unrest within the Smash community? People like different games, and sometimes voice their opinions. (e.g. "When's Marvel"). I don't think anybody really gave more than two shits and just carried on with what they like.

Is the situation somehow less cheeky and more vitriolic, in regards to Brawl vs Melee?

Kalamari

If that's the biggest problem you see at a fighting game tournament, then I would say it was a pretty good tournament compared to some others.

Bring back Weaponlord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxrpyv8SNS4

Like Anne said, she got a slap on the wrist, haha. But yeah, I think most of us are happy on having pineberry nerfs. It was a nightmare to deal with. Also who knows, there might be more changes at the loketest.

It's annoying reading all the "but yeah shotgun and oki" stuff. The neutral applications were what sold the character to me in the first place. Ghetto bursts and whatnot be damned.

So glad I'm not a Bridget player atm. If Elph turns out to be not that fun anymore I can just play Millia or something, or try going back to Faust I guess.

Beckx

Bring back Weaponlord.

Deep in the bowels of Warner Bros., someone is plotting out MK v LotR.

I just threw up a little in my mouth typing that

Frodo will be top tier with his small hitbox and invisibility.

In all honesty i really hope we get a Soul Calibur 6 soonish. But i doubt it would be announced before T7 has a home release.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Scar said:
It’s my opinion that, to truly respect one another, we need to give one another the benefit of the doubt.

It’s true that anyone who started that cheer or participated in it was being inconsiderate of anyone who was enjoying Smash 4, but it’s my belief that very few of them were doing it out of a lack of respect for Smash 4 and its community.

To come full circle, all Smashers need to reject the action of cheering “Melee” because it implies that Melee is better than other games. We need to reject anyone who deliberately tries to hurt another event or community. This means that we all need to speak out against such things, and we also need to back people up when they do. For example, in retrospect, I wish that I had joined in with the “No” chant.

At the same time, all Smashers, including Smash 4 fans, need to acknowledge the very legitimate frustrations of the “Melee" chanters - we don’t want tournaments to run until 3am on a Sunday. We also should acknowledge that SSBM Finalists were asked to be available to play for 18 hours on Sunday (9am - 3am), which in my view is unacceptable.

Players and attendees need to let TOs and TO staff know what we expect from them. Out of respect for our time, we need them to make realistic schedules, fight hard to keep to that schedule, and let players and attendees know if things are slipping.

Very good response on Scar's end. Great representative for the Smash community. I too felt the chants were done out of frustration out of the event and not because of Smash 4. It certainly took a toll on every non-FGC player there. The reason why I left Sunday and not Monday morning was cause we all knew Finals day was gonna be hell in terms of waiting for Top 8 for Melee.

Top Bottom