• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 2-8 | The Great Cave-In Offensive

LegatoB

I think it's good that they are trying to experiment in a different direction compared to the gundam versus arcade games in japan. Clearly they want RoI to have a bigger focus on team play than EXVS does at the moment and they are working towards it. I do agree that the core mechanics are still not there unfortunately.
I guess my hangup is that whatever "strategic" and "ease of play" gains they think they've made have come at the expense of moving around feeling any good at all. Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel to discover why it works so well.

Zissou

Ogawa saying Faust/Ky/Axl strong at the loc test. Gazou thinks Faust is worse than before, but since character strength is defined by how good a char is compared to other chars, he can see where Ogawa is coming from when it comes to Faust.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I assume lower portion of high tier (which is a huge jump for Axl). High tier (which is A to me) is where I felt Ky was always at though.

Ah yeah Ky was always there he was super solid in the game to begin with. Damn A tier Axl is pretty scary though. But he's an awesome character and I like using him just no point in learning much with his current version.

K.Sabot

I need to do this. Wouldn't it be possible to just download an ISO since I own a copy of the game? Or is that somehow illegal even though I own a copy of the game?

That's still illegal, which is why I went through the dumb process. Thankfully my wii was already broken into before for PM.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm guessing it's going to be a really long time before WNF comes back. It's weird not having a big FGC stream on after NLBC.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
That's still illegal, which is why I went through the dumb process. Thankfully my wii was already broken into before for PM.

They want me to suffer. My laptop doesn't even have a CD drive... Time to boot up another computer and do it the way you did it. I guess I'll do the same for Brawl, if I can legally, and get PM running on my laptop. It'd be pretty sweet to have a setup each time I'm out of the state. Now if I could somehow do this for Marvel...
It still hurts even after all this time...

I'm guessing it's going to be a really long time before WNF comes back. It's weird not having a big FGC stream on after NLBC.

You now have time work on your sleeping schedule.

Zissou

Ogawa trying to get people to complain about the Zato nerfs on the arcsys internet feedback form to get them to change their minds, haha.

Smash 4 is incredibly boring to watch and its only going to get worse as people get better at defense.

People that were saying Sm4sh is faster or a lot better than Brawl crack me up.

The games going to be even slower with how hard it is to punish rolls and how little shield stun there is. Attacking is not safe most of the time so you have this metagame where you camp in your shield and wait for your opponent to do something and react to it. Not healthy at all.

Punshing rolls isn't hard. Roll-happy players are easy enough to read, and even easier if you use a fast character. Defensive characters like Villager are easy to break also once you learn the matchup.

Ogawa saying Faust/Ky/Axl strong at the loc test. Gazou thinks Faust is worse than before, but since character strength is defined by how good a char is compared to other chars, he can see where Ogawa is coming from when it comes to Faust.

And this is where we're going. "He's great because he wasn't nerfed as bad".

Ogawa trying to get people to complain about the Zato nerfs on the arcsys internet feedback form to get them to change their minds, haha.

With good reason. The nerf list is hilarious.

Marz

Punshing rolls isn't hard. Roll-happy players are easy enough to read, and even easier if you use a fast character. Defensive characters like Villager are easy to break also once you learn the matchup.

Not referring to roll-happy players or scrubs.

Talking about good players who know how to abuse rolls and use them in the correct situations.

Anyone play Fightcade? Do you know if it works in windows XP? I'm trying to get it in an arcade cab with minimal effort.

Also, does anyone else like to play random games on there? No real knowledge of the game, no movelists, just figure it out as you go? I kind of miss that new game in the arcade feeling.

Reposting from the Xrd thread, since we're talking about Zato changes:
I think the biggest problem to me is that Zato has three ways to play with his shadow:
1) Summon Eddie in the neutral and try to approach while controlling both characters.
2) Summon Eddie from a puddle, safely, when an opponent is above or behind it.
3) Summon Eddie after a knockdown with Zato.

1 and 2 are both getting nerfed. Method 1 is very high risk, and you usually have to play Eddie on the assumption that you will lose him in exchange for a 22H knockdown. Then you can pressure solo with Zato until Eddie recovers, and it ends up being a slightly beneficial exchange due to chip and the initial 22H. Now, if Eddie recovers slower, it isn't such a good trade.

They basically want to penalize Zato players for doing anything but 3. For a mediocre Zato like me, it is pretty frustrating. I can understand nerfing 2, because puddle summons are extremely good, but 1 and 2 taking a hit seems extreme to me.

I am also basing this on Ogawa's play more than mine. When he goes for method 1, he almost always loses Eddie like I mentioned above. I feel like the current Eddie recharge timer is pretty fair. If they want to make puddles attack-able, I am okay with that because Ram and Elphelt are also getting nerds to their ranged pressure game, so it seems like they are trying to make matchups more reasonable for Potemkin. Plus, Zato can space himself to punish a puddle kill, so it adds a new level of mind games to him. It could deepen his play while balancing matches, so that is fine.

Costing Eddie meter for a summon is more annoying than anything. When I get a knockdown, I usually summon from the puddle just because it is positioned behind my opponent. I guess I would need to see how much shadow meter it takes.

Zato is really easy to anti-air without Eddie backing him up. Unless the j.K hitbox change is massive, I don't think it is a big deal. It will make double overheads slightly easier, but who cares about that?

After watching that trailer I hope we get a Persona 5: Arena at some point.
Wasn't it just an incredibly perfect trailer? Wow.

Damn, that's a lot.

Hoping I can make it out to SCR, even if I only enter one or two games.

Would like to see how the Smash 4 SoCal competition stacks up too

full of scrubs, not a single SoCal player placed top 16
unless you count M2K

Kappa

Reposting from the Xrd thread, since we're talking about Zato changes:
I think the biggest problem to me is that Zato has three ways to play with his shadow:
1) Summon Eddie in the neutral and try to approach while controlling both characters.
2) Summon Eddie from a puddle, safely, when an opponent is above or behind it.
3) Summon Eddie after a knockdown with Zato.

1 and 2 are both getting nerfed. Method 1 is very high risk, and you usually have to play Eddie on the assumption that you will lose him in exchange for a 22H knockdown. Then you can pressure solo with Zato until Eddie recovers, and it ends up being a slightly beneficial exchange due to chip and the initial 22H. Now, if Eddie recovers slower, it isn't such a good trade.

They basically want to penalize Zato players for doing anything but 3. For a mediocre Zato like me, it is pretty frustrating. I can understand nerfing 2, because puddle summons are extremely good, but 1 and 2 taking a hit seems extreme to me.

What I really hate about it is that it makes Zato more bipolar. Basically so that more time in the matchup is spent with one player or the other not being allowed to really play neutral. The direction they took with the first iteration of Xrd Zato was great - take awya unblockables so he has to actually mix the opponent up, and compensate with neutral game tools.

Now they're just crapping on that development.

Dunno why just buffing the lower tiers is such an impossible thing. Feels like nowadays people don't even ask if the top tiers have actual bullshit (and if having bullshit is fine in the context of the game - IMO it is in GG), they should be nerfed just because they're the best. Which leads to an endless parade of nerfs because there's always a best thing. It's disgusting.

mbpm1

For some reason I started thinking about how Cammy's sweep should hit have of a backwards hitbox because of the way the move animates. Must be because of smash.

For some reason I started thinking about how Cammy's sweep should hit have of a backwards hitbox because of the way the move animates. Must be because of smash.

Deejay's st.HP that forces stand on hit doesn't hit crouching characters

tomato tomatoe

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Dunno why just buffing the lower tiers is such an impossible thing. Feels like nowadays people don't even ask if the top tiers have actual bullshit (and if having bullshit is fine in the context of the game - IMO it is in GG), they should be nerfed just because they're the best. Which leads to an endless parade of nerfs because there's always a best thing. It's disgusting.
This is what bothers me about the complaints surrounding Diddy Kong in Smash 4. I'd much rather have other characters' abilities and kill potential be brought up to his level than to just weigh him down as well.

What I really hate about it is that it makes Zato more bipolar. Basically so that more time in the matchup is spent with one player or the other not being allowed to really play neutral. The direction they took with the first iteration of Xrd Zato was great - take awya unblockables so he has to actually mix the opponent up, and compensate with neutral game tools.

Now they're just crapping on that development.

Zato does still have unblockable resets, though. They're just not guaranteed, and their setups are circumstantial. I see Ogawa fail at them all the time. I agree with your general perspective, though.

Zato does still have unblockable resets, though. They're just not guaranteed, and their setups are circumstantial. I see Ogawa fail at them all the time. I agree with your general perspective, though.

I know he has them. I just mean the direction they took the character in. They took away many routes to unblockables.

Zissou

Why are the current Zato unblockable set ups not guaranteed? Because their execution is so difficult that even the best players mess them up? or because of some other reason?

pixelish

brackets for shadowloo showdown are up!

10955673_10152785527763458_3610725915494081667_n.png

pixelish

Why are the current Zato unblockable set ups not guaranteed? Because their execution is so difficult that even the best players mess them up? or because of some other reason?
I think it might be a hard-to-blockable, and you can't perfectly time Eddie's [D]. Also, I think bursting beats the unblockable. At least, it beats me when I try it. :p

Mr. X

I don't recall ASW not keeping loctest changes when they go through with it.

They can't even provide a full change log smh

Don't like the idea of Slayer Dandy follow ups behaving differently based on if you used P or K.

I don't recall ASW not keeping loctest changes when they go through with it.

They can't even provide a full change log smh

Don't like the idea of Slayer Dandy follow ups behaving differently based on if you used P or K.

That's part of the fun, though!

Play your character and slowly realize they got a LOT of unlisted nerfs. :[

Zissou

I think it might be a hard-to-blockable, and you can't perfectly time Eddie's [D]. Also, I think bursting beats the unblockable. At least, it beats me when I try it. :p

Ahh- so they're not 'truly' unblockable even if they can seem like it?

@Mr. X- apparently there is a more complete document you can read if you actually attend the loc test (based on what people are waying on twitter)

Nyoro SF

so, how long til Persona 5 Arena?

Hopefully sooner rather than later.

However, I hope they fix the current release at the moment. lol
I don't think Shadow Chie should be able to do 80% average damage off a midscreen bnb with 36 meter. At 50, I think she can kill anyone in the cast.
I'm assuming they will adjust this quickly like they did in the past with certain egregious things that slipped by their balancing radar.

Tbh the salt today has been incredible. People can't seem to handle changes.

When your character gets nothing but nerfs and then people discover more nerfs, it results in a ticket to the salt mines.

Ahh- so they're not 'truly' unblockable even if they can seem like it?

@Mr. X- apparently there is a more complete document you can read if you actually attend the loc test (based on what people are waying on twitter)

You can block the unblockable if you alternate your guards with just frame timing. A projectile and a physical hit can't hit on the same frame in GG as far as I know. Of course Zato can mix it up which one hits first and the block is borderline impossible anyway, so...

Bonchan just said on stream that he's going to the Red Bull Kumite. Not sure if he got invited or he's planning on winning one of the last 2 spots. I could have heard wrong, but that's what I thought I heard him say.

Top Bottom