• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You guys think EVO this year would break the 200K mark?

And which game will have the highest viewership?

I think if they schedule it right, USF4 could have the highest viewers. New game, final spot... no clear favorite to win.
USF4 would be the only game that could, and I think it's going to be a tough sell still.

If the Smash audience didn't skip town after Smash was over, then maybe.

It was Marvel last year, but it's too early in the year to say what Marvel is going to be like this year because things change on a dime.

Sayah

Harada said himself there is no Tekken announcement for E3 or TGS or EVO, we have to wait until December for the 20th anniversary to get the next Tekken announcement.

Oh well, I'm in no rush, not like it has any chance of being better than TTT2 :p

I thought that was for new reveals. TKXSF is more of a re-reveal. I'm hoping it doesn't fall under that category.

has anyone ever experimented with a consecutive re-stream of an event? obviously, EVO loses some viewers internationally due to timezones, but what if they just repeated the main events/top 8s for each game following the conclusion of the tournament? I guess they would end up with less concurrent viewers, but maybe they could get more total views over the weekend? people would arguably be less excited about it not being 'live' but that shouldn't be too bad if they avoid spoilers (turn off chat lol). just throwing out this weakass conjecture

the week before evo, they just did 24/7 restream of previous evo's

has anyone ever experimented with a consecutive re-stream of an event? obviously, EVO loses some viewers internationally due to timezones, but what if they just repeated the main events/top 8s for each game following the conclusion of the tournament? I guess they would end up with less concurrent viewers, but maybe they could get more total views over the weekend? people would arguably be less excited about it not being 'live' but that shouldn't be too bad if they avoid spoilers (turn off chat lol). just throwing out this weakass conjecture

Haunts/Capcom Fighers does this. The priority isn't that high for most streamers because archives exist (most of the time).

Infinite

no reason you can't do both.

aside from SC2, probably Dota and LoL, most competitive gamers have an actual life and don't play games for 20 hours a day in an esports house

A lot of professional players are going to college or already graduated. Most people know this isn't a career, but chances are you were gonna sit at home playing vidya games all day anyway, so why not make some real money off of it?

i want that stage mod so bad

Cafeid

They stream pretty frequently, and for long periods of time

I'm not saying that there is a dichotomy here where you either have to make money from playing games or pursue a career and not both. I am saying to treat your side hustles like side hustles. There's nothing wrong with getting some coins from competitive games but these dudes in the FGC are waiting for a golden ticket that's not going to come and they being bitter as hell about it. When it all comes down to it they shouldn't even be this pressed about that if they do in fact have a real job. If this is their only source of income then they did or are doing something wrong and they need to get it together. This is a hobby first.

If the Smash audience didn't skip town after Smash was over, then maybe.

You know I must admit I was a bit salty about that. My friend and I were a bit baffled as to how Smash had a higher viewer count then everything except Marvel. But I figured it had to do with them pouring in to watch their game with the rest of us leaving the stream in the background or just watching everything. Then as you said, they all took off when it was over and probably never returned.

As for which game ends up having the most. Honestly my opinion is that it depends on which game has the more exciting grand finals between Marvel or USF4. When Marvel Grand Finals started, it was only around 120k(same as USF4). But Justin played out of his mind to come back from losers and with the final match going down to the wire. Word was spreading as the match was going on people started pouring in like crazy. USF4, GF was pretty boring again and it actually peaked in Semi's between PR Rog and Infiltration and not GF with Xian and Tokido. Or neither has a good Grand Finals and Smash is the king of EVO 2014 lol

But it doesn't necessarily help that SF4 is the last game. Being the last game is very prestigious, but when it comes to viewer count it suffers because it loses international viewers by being on so late and fans of other games will take off because they just don't care for SF4 although they may have had the stream on all day or for the most part.

But it doesn't necessarily help that SF4 is the last game. Being the last game is very prestigious, but when it comes to viewer count it suffers because it loses international viewers by being on so late and fans of other games will take off because they just don't care for SF4 although they may have had the stream on all day or for the most part.

Depends where you are, because EVO finals are during the day for Australia/Japan/Korea. The thing is it is a Monday, so unless you have the day off...

I think besides all the things you listed, the big issue is it is just such a long day. KOF might be hype for example, but it is still 7 hours of watching one fighting game. Then you get an exhibition, 3 hours of smash, 2.5 hours of marvel or whatever and it is all a bit much.

I don't think hype has much to do with it either (on the day). The only equivalence is hype = lots of close matches = running way over time = picking up viewers for the next game plus those already invested. SF4 going on last obviously can't do this.

Overall I'm a fan of spreading the finals out over the weekend, especially for the games that take forever.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
They did post a picture of a Killer Instinct set up too, getting hype~

I got the same cab!

12006621836_7aec4130c0_c.jpg

alstein

Harada said himself there is no Tekken announcement for E3 or TGS or EVO, we have to wait until December for the 20th anniversary to get the next Tekken announcement.

Oh well, I'm in no rush, not like it has any chance of being better than TTT2 :p

It's a guarantee at this point that the next Tekken will be experimental and not evolutionary.

There is a chance Namco could announce it somewhere else, or do their own event.

If I was Namco, I'd try a quick cash-in Idolmasters the Fighter using the old Tekken Engine though.

MLG events were on the same weekend as NCR, ECT and Summer Jam.

The VF community split between Summer Jam and MLG that year- the Southerners went to MLG , the Northerners to Summer Jam.

I was so close to winning money at MLG- I just had to beat GT and well, I couldn't do it all weekend.

Shito

Wouldn't help for Europe: finals are in the middle of the night for us, ending on Monday early morning. Keeping restreaming after that would mean streaming on Monday, when people are back to work.

Silky

Banned
Not too sure, the people who are running it are acquaintances of mine, and I'm sure they'll have weekly streams at the very least, but not sure how it'll go later down the line. I'm sure they're aware of the issues so hopefully they'll tackle them as they come. I'm definitely down to support.

They did post a picture of a Killer Instinct set up too, getting hype~

Sexy

Dahbomb

Correct me if I am wrong but in SF4 no player has won EVO coming from Losers right?

And only once had an EVO champion been knocked into Losers (Daigo vs Justin). Most of the time it has been utter dominance by an EVO champion. As compared to say Marvel of KOF grand finals were all really close and some were even won from a player coming from losers to reset.

I feel if a player makes a run through losers in SF4 and goes on to win it (like Sanford with Oni) that would wake everyone up.

My schedule for EVO (assuming 8 Games):

USF4
UMVC3
Smash Melee
KOFXIII
Killer Instinct
BBCP
Injustice
TTT2

El Sloth

Banned
Street Fighter will never get more viewers than Marvel vs Capcom or Super Smash Bros because Americans aren't the best.
Or maybe because it's on so damn late in comparison to the rest. I'd be all for making Marvel the main event if it means I don't have to stay up so late to see SF grand finals. Regardless, I would argue that Street Fighter has more international appeal than Marvel. Speaking strictly about potential viewers here, nothing else.

Smash gets huge numbers because it's Smash. It's a hell lot more familar to a lot more people.

Did we ever get the numbers of the people watching the Japanese restream on Nico?

Malice215

I think the pre-EVO exhibition should be a eating contest between Lee Chung, Wiz, Flux, Floe and whoever wants in. Lee Chung already called out two people and said he would body them in eating.

Sausage eating contest? Huuu haaa.

I'm not saying that there is a dichotomy here where you either have to make money from playing games or pursue a career and not both. I am saying to treat your side hustles like side hustles. There's nothing wrong with getting some coins from competitive games but these dudes in the FGC are waiting for a golden ticket that's not going to come and they being bitter as hell about it. When it all comes down to it they shouldn't even be this pressed about that if they do in fact have a real job. If this is their only source of income then they did or are doing something wrong and they need to get it together. This is a hobby first.

These players should be grinding towards something more attainable, like a career with some benefits.

You have some players that see the payouts in LoL and SC2 for example and start crying about that money not being in fighting games but failing to realize is that nobody is just going to give them money just for playing a fighting game and don't even think about where that money actually comes from.

I'm sure everyone would love to compete for big money, but money just doesn't come out of thin air, especially without an audience to market to or products to sell to them, where as games like LoL are hugely popular and naturally have products to market just for being a PC game.

I'm still waiting for the day where players stop crying about money and start doing things to help make the community more marketable, instead of just acting a fool on social media and shitting on the efforts of others. Guess that's not happening no time soon with the way things are going in 2014.

or they could just become TOs and start making $30K all day

skullgirls will probably be part of the main evo lineup this year and then get hit with a last minute C&D or all the players get stuck in traffic and can't make it to evo or something

DEATH™

I got the same cab!

12006621836_7aec4130c0_c.jpg

Just a question, but if I wanna make a custom cab, what kind of display should I buy? I wanna have a bigger display but im kinda scared of monitor lag...

(Yes I got too many dream projects, most of them stay in my dreams till I finally get that paypuh, and that won't come from tournament prize money I tell you that lol)

Anth0ny

You guys think EVO this year would break the 200K mark?

And which game will have the highest viewership?

I think if they schedule it right, USF4 could have the highest viewers. New game, final spot... no clear favorite to win.

Viewership wise it was Marvel > Smash > Street Fighter last year, right?

I'm guessing Street Fighter lost viewers because it was late? Maybe if they tweak the schedule a bit for Sunday, it would work in Street Fighter's favor. Nonetheless, Melee and Marvel are still beasts. It won't be easy for USFIV to hit the highest viewership, even if it's the newest game.

Top Bottom