• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I'm not surprised he has disdain for the FGC after people went after him hard for a full 2 weeks. Then some people were surprised after he announced that he wasn't attending Evo that year. "Why wouldn't he come to Evo?" I dunno, maybe it has to do with digging into his past internet history and secretly taping a phone conversation with him.

Meanwhile, the guy probably most responsible for the negative view of the FGC after Cross Assault remains a beloved figure in the community.

Not saying there aren't subtleties here (like how the Jared hate wasn't completely unwarranted) but I don't blame him for his dislike of the FGC.

Yeah I don't really blame him for his dislike of the community tbh, and it's pretty much impossible for that bias to not bleed over into his professional life to an extent, but letting it bleed over so shamelessly and publically is no bueno. Two wrongs don't make a right, and in situations like this, you be the better man, especially in a professional context.

Village

Yeah I don't really blame him for his dislike of the community tbh, and it's pretty much impossible for that bias to not bleed over into his professional life to an extent, but letting it bleed over so shamelessly and publically is no bueno. Two wrongs don't make a right, and in situations like this, you be the better man, especially in a professional context.

Some people don't care and it wont effect their work. eh.. I dunno i have always had mixed feelings over this kind of thing.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Some people don't care and it wont effect their work. eh.. I dunno i have always had mixed feelings over this kind of thing.
It may not always affect things in a big way but that sort of thing will always affect things in some way. It's just human nature. If it doesn't cause actions, at the very least it will affect thoughts which will potentially affect actions in ways the person in question doesn't even realize.

The big take aways from Arturo's post is self sufficiency and sustainability. At the end of the day the esports model is flimsy so we have to ensure that we can do what we love doing on our own and keep grassroots events up and running. Becoming a pro gamer is a not a career, this is a hobby that you can make a small hustle out of. Nothing more.

Bu bu bu but I can get a sponsor and get flown out to events that I collude at!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
iPZaamKHtYeWg.gif

Omega

Banned
The big take aways from Arturo's post is self sufficiency and sustainability. At the end of the day the esports model is flimsy so we have to ensure that we can do what we love doing on our own and keep grassroots events up and running. Becoming a pro gamer is a not a career, this is a hobby that you can make a small hustle out of. Nothing more.

no reason you can't do both.

aside from SC2, probably Dota and LoL, most competitive gamers have an actual life and don't play games for 20 hours a day in an esports house

A lot of professional players are going to college or already graduated. Most people know this isn't a career, but chances are you were gonna sit at home playing vidya games all day anyway, so why not make some real money off of it?

i want that stage mod so bad

Are there any great KOF streamers? I have been looking but have had trouble finding much if any.

Cafeid

They stream pretty frequently, and for long periods of time

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
no reason you can't do both.

aside from SC2, probably Dota and LoL, most competitive gamers have an actual life and don't play games for 20 hours a day in an esports house

A lot of professional players are going to college or already graduated. Most people know this isn't a career, but chances are you were gonna sit at home playing vidya games all day anyway, so why not make some real money off of it?
Nobody in the FGC has much money. We're all poverty, and tournament winnings are a zero-sum game. :(

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Gif is just showcasing being able to cancel mp into air hurricane kick. And the EX hurricane kick itself is like a lot better.

Canceling EX Demon Flip into EX fireball.
iGkn7mP9FMXTi.gif

Canceling EX hooligan into air cannon spike.
iiOkqTbUwyjes.gif

Interview with Ayano and Ono from the Taipei Game Show

copy and paste Famitsu links
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201401/25047133.html

My Japanese has gone to shit over the years so I can't pick out too much. If someone else is willing to read through it you may actually get some good info for a new thread as a couple of questions near the end are asking about Capcom position with PS Now and the possibility of using the Panta Rhei engine for fighting games.

The interviewer tries to get Ono to spill the beans on the 5th USF4 character, but Ono doesn't reveal too much. One of the questions is something along the lines of "can you tell us about the kind of fighting style" and Ono appears to give the same stuff we know already (female, never playable before).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Interview with Ayano and Ono from the Taipei Game Show

copy and paste Famitsu links
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201401/25047133.html

My Japanese has gone to shit over the years so I can't pick out too much. If someone else is willing to read through it you may actually get some good info for a new thread as a couple of questions near the end are asking about Capcom position with PS Now and the possibility of using the Panta Rhei engine for fighting games.

The interviewer tries to get Ono to spill the beans on the 5th USF4 character, but Ono doesn't reveal too much. One of the questions is something along the lines of "can you tell us about the kind of fighting style" and Ono appears to give the same stuff we know already (female, never playable before).
My google translate is rusty, but they seem to only use the PS3 as an example. Looking pretty bad for the 360 ATM.

Encoding done locally, something about image quality being automatically changed to whatever is optimal,

At the very end it seems like they're saying if they can extend Panty Raid to be used in fighting games, they will, or else they will go another direction with their next fighting game engine.

Omega

Banned
Chris G is an idiot. can someone ban this clown from twitter? He either says dumb shit, or retweets dumb shit.

Salty Legend is on a random rant at how the scene needs to grow more than just SF/Mahvel, streamers other than Spooky, etc. and Chris is retweeting all of this.

the only reason people even know you (Chris) is because of SF and Marvel. As for the spooky thing, maybe people should get some real equipment and stop streaming from a potato and they'll be asked to do events.

Dahbomb

Salty Legend is on a random rant at how the scene needs to grow more than just SF/Mahvel, streamers other than Spooky, etc.
I haven't read this rant but I don't see anything wrong with that. The FGC is more than just those two games. And as far as streamers go, hell yea more people should step up their streaming game and show the dedication/work that Spooky has. Would be good for Spooky too as it would be a lot of weight off his shoulders.

jbug617

Banned
I haven't read this rant but I don't see anything wrong with that. The FGC is more than just those two games.

but there is nobody stopping people from playing other games or entering other games at tournaments. People just like the Capcom games more than anything else.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I haven't read this rant but I don't see anything wrong with that. The FGC is more than just those two games. And as far as streamers go, hell yea more people should step up their streaming game and show the dedication/work that Spooky has. Would be good for Spooky too as it would be a lot of weight off his shoulders.

Takes time and money, something a lot of people don't have.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Streaming an event takes more than time and money, it also takes the ability to spend a weekend putting in close to 20 hours a day.

Chris is an idiot for retweeting something he agrees with? PL is right though there is more than just sf and marvel out there.

First, Chris is stupid for retweeting this because I remember he went to NCR over MLG the weekend they shared.
Second, the KOF community not supporting MLG is more complicated than simply "not wanting to." Easiest explanation is that KOF is a poverty game, MLG is expensive, you can only attend one event, so people made the decision to go to Evo instead.
Third, no one is against Esports. Everyone is conveniently forgetting that IPL was going to be involved in the scene before they went under. Everyone is just looking at the past wanting something to blame. the rest of PL's tweets. Why is this this way etc, they have no cohesive argument. Like I'm literally imaging his arms flailing pointing in random directions.

kick51

Banned
i dunno...something about "Marvel online play! Real talk Q+A! OMG lando's here!" titles of FGTV streams just seem so desperate. it's like you can hear f.champ sweating the rent.

Kumubou

Chris G is an idiot. can someone ban this clown from twitter? He either says dumb shit, or retweets dumb shit.

Salty Legend is on a random rant at how the scene needs to grow more than just SF/Mahvel, streamers other than Spooky, etc. and Chris is retweeting all of this.

the only reason people even know you (Chris) is because of SF and Marvel. As for the spooky thing, maybe people should get some real equipment and stop streaming from a potato and they'll be asked to do events.
To be fair (and I say this from experience), if you stream at most of these events you may as well be streaming off of a potato. If you're lucky, they'll also give you a turnip and a radish. Internet availability at most venues is somewhere between spotty and just outright awful, and no one in the FGC has that MLG money to bring in satellite trucks to supplement that. People will run off of 4G hotspots which can work, but I've also seen cell relays get slammed so hard they stop working, so that's always a bit sketchy.

I always found the whole "non-Capcom FGC" dynamic to be interesting, if a bit false. Even though some corporate types would just rather chuck everything else, you're pissing away a large portion of the player base (for example, roughly half the people that enter a tournament at Evo are NOT playing SF4 or MvC3). There never has been one giant community -- it's a set of loosely affiliated groups, each with their own leadership, history, and culture. It all kind of comes together because in the old days, everyone played in the same location, and you kept running into the same people, even if you didn't play the same games... and that just kind of stuck.

Streaming an event takes more than time and money, it also takes the ability to spend a weekend putting in close to 20 hours a day.
Streaming sucks. It's a ton of work and you have to constantly monitor everything in case someone trips over a cord or Twitch decides to give your bandwidth to some LoL streamer or someone blasts a jet engine into the mic or the online DRM fails or a million other things to go wrong, and for what? To get shit on all weekend by a bunch of trolls? Never mind actually getting to do anything at the event. Most people don't want or need that in their life. There's a reason more streamers haven't stepped up. It actually isn't that hard to get set up at an event (it's not like there's a glut of streamers), but good luck making enough money to pay for the bandwidth on a 4G card.

Everyone is just looking at the past wanting something to blame. the rest of PL's tweets. Why is this this way etc, they have no cohesive argument. Like I'm literally imaging his arms flailing pointing in random directions.
I can't remember the last time PL actually made a coherent point. He's one of those players that has million dollar hands and a ten cent head.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Twitch decides to give your bandwidth to some LoL streamer
I couldn't even chat in my own channel.

Twitch pls

and for what? To get shit on all weekend by a bunch of trolls?
The little things can be satisfying.

And if you're involved in your regional scene then enough people can get your back when things go awry. KiT is really volunteer based and decentralized. Pretty much everything Marvel related, from streams to setups to bracket runners, is sourced out of our small Alabama group. Having all these top players around for what might as well be one of our locals is pretty fun.

I will note, however, that this is the second tournament I've streamed in Tennessee, and it also happens to be the second tournament in Tennessee where some shmuck complained about my setup being laggy, when it isn't. Good thing I had the foresight to get photographic proof beforehand this time... I don't blame TOs for playing it safe, but I definitely don't appreciate scrubs who think their reactions are sharper than they really are.

Anyway, pumped for tomorrow.

Kalamari

I am wondering, how much practice do top Japanese players put in versus American players? Is the difference significant?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Bad year so far.

1. AGE team gone (but will not be missed since they didn't do shit anyway)
  2. Word of no Canada Cup this year.
  3. Keits saying it could be the last UFGT.
  4. Super Arcade struggling to stay open and bad things will happen if it isn't anymore.
  5. The price of admission for next-gen is too high at the moment and will probably not be in affordable range for a long time so a brand new fighting game like KI can't get the number of players it deserves.
  6. FGTV is pretty much disbanded, it's basically back to being just Champ streaming, Lando arguably the funniest guy on there is MIA.
  7. Chris G moving and shifting the balance, there is no successor.
  8. Capcom and Namco seem to be in some sort of weird regression of their own so whatever they do within the genre will probably not be good.
  9. BT still not offering hot swimwear or pink shirts.
  10. Players even with high pedigree are getting dropped.
  11. Skullgirls have worse luck than Tony Romo.
What else can we add?

The Light

First, Chris is stupid for retweeting this because I remember he went to NCR over MLG the weekend they shared.
Second, the KOF community not supporting MLG is more complicated than simply "not wanting to." Easiest explanation is that KOF is a poverty game, MLG is expensive, you can only attend one event, so people made the decision to go to Evo instead.
Third, no one is against Esports. Everyone is conveniently forgetting that IPL was going to be involved in the scene before they went under. Everyone is just looking at the past wanting something to blame. the rest of PL's tweets. Why is this this way etc, they have no cohesive argument. Like I'm literally imaging his arms flailing pointing in random directions.

I thought not supporting MLG had more to due with date conflicts. I remember the first one was short notice and the second one was a work day.

Top Bottom