• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 26 - Feb 1 | Zaibatschu

A quick yes or no would be really helpful. Thanks.

Yes, a lot of people still play USF4 on 360. In fact the 360 version is the most heavily populated version among the 3. When I still had Live, I could find plenty of opponents at almost anytime of the day, event late at night it wasn't that bad.

A word of warning though, if you're not a veteran player, you're going to get your shit pushed in a lot. I think the 360 player base is the best among the 3 and plus the games been out for over 5 years now so even a lot of the bad players have a decent idea of what to do. So be careful if that's the case for you.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Go hang out in the PXG if you want people to play with on 360. There's always a good amount of people there. Also Valle has been doing his online tournies and running lobbies.

J10

Banned
Thanks. I haven't played in a couple years since Super. Wasn't sure if the population had died off yet.

Week 9: Fighting games and Feminism. Oversexualization of females (dead or alive). Glaring lack of female diversity ("old" or "fat" female characters, female grapplers, etc). Health bar differentiations with male counterparts (look at mvc3).

Also that lots of women seem to end up playing DoA and Soulcalibur. maybe there's something to taking names and looking good doing it. Difference between sexy fanservice and moeblobs I guess.

alstein

Also that lots of women seem to end up playing DoA and Soulcalibur. maybe there's something to taking names and looking good doing it. Difference between sexy fanservice and moeblobs I guess.

The 3d communities are less toxic towards women in general.

Nemo has been invited to the Red Bull Kumite.

https://twitter.com/GOOD_NEMO/status/560760919743922177

YAM1w

Praise DaiGOD

Sayah

They do? Well I don't know any stats but a lot of women also play Street Fighter and Tekken.

Also, I'm not just saying to look at only negative aspects. There's also a lot of positive. Like other genres don't have a lot of women being represented in them at all.

On the topic of super-anime games, has anyone put any time into this Touhou game? I'm planning to pick it up and wondering if anyone knows the ropes.

I liked Hisouten(soku) a lot but somehow HM didn't really do it for me. The flying around feels pretty weird and with no high/lows or throws it's just kinda odd to get to grips with what you're supposed to -do-.

(So kinda sad they're going with more of the same for 14.5 )

Tizoc

More animeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey fighters in yo life FGCGAF~
Dengeki Bunko for EVO2016, who's with me!

Mr. X

Exactly. Also for some reason women really dig some of the DOA designs.
Because DoA is like opposite a SF roster. Women outnumber the men and there is diversity in how they play.

DoA and SCV probably are more aesthetically pleasing vs other fighters to women too.

I dont understand what it is the issue with japanese companies and porting the 360/ps3 version of games to PC when they have the X1/ps4 versions fully developed.

Infinite

I dont understand what it is the issue with japanese companies and porting the 360/ps3 version of games to PC when they have the X1/ps4 versions fully developed.
If were talking about fighting games then the answer is a huge portion of their audience isn't there yet.

wait what's going to be missing?

I need to know that Kuroko, Gon, Killua and Hisoka are in. Other than, I don't care.

Some guy was on here saying that its not gonna have all the content but it they put out a poster the day the localization was announced that had most of the characters on it so it doesn't seem like much was cut.

Kikirin

I liked Hisouten(soku) a lot but somehow HM didn't really do it for me. The flying around feels pretty weird and with no high/lows or throws it's just kinda odd to get to grips with what you're supposed to -do-.

(So kinda sad they're going with more of the same for 14.5 )

Agreed on not being a fan of HM. I liked that it tried to do something different, but the popularity system, floaty movement, and altitude rubberbanding didn't feel very good. It felt pretty hard to open the opponent up, and at the same time, it also feels pretty hard to escape once you are pinned against the end of the stage. Perhaps I just haven't put enough time into it to really get a feel for working well within the system and dealing with newbie mashing. Probably didn't help that I was expecting something more akin to Psychic Force 2012, haha.

And wait, wait, wait - 14.5 is announced??

Looking it up, I'm surprised that there are videos of it already. Looks like HM minus popularity system and plus a Hisouten-ish weather / stage effect system. Eh.

Agreed on not being a fan of HM. I liked that it tried to do something different, but the popularity system, floaty movement, and altitude rubberbanding didn't feel very good. It felt pretty hard to open the opponent up, and at the same time, it also feels pretty hard to escape once you are pinned against the end of the stage. Perhaps I just haven't put enough time into it to really get a feel for working well within the system and dealing with newbie mashing. Probably didn't help that I was expecting something more akin to Psychic Force 2012, haha.

And wait, wait, wait - 14.5 is announced??

Looking it up, I'm surprised that there are videos of it already. Looks like HM minus popularity system and plus a Hisouten-ish weather / stage effect system. Eh.

Yeah, the 14.5 demo was released at winter comiket or something i think. I assume full version in summer then.

HM in general just feels ..weird. I don't mind them trying new stuff and not every game has to have the same fundamentals. But i still can't help but think a more traditional fighting game would have been better. I probably should put a little more time into it at least though, since it was patched like seventy times since last i played.

Nyoro SF

I'm really glad DBFC is getting a Western release, means I can fight more people online now. The online is very good. Don't see a reason to sell my Japanese copy for it though, the story mode is really bare bones.

It's too bad with SEGA's recent support of PC in multiple markets that DBFC isn't coming to Steam... but I can live with it.

Manbig

Good grades are good grades homie, can't take that away from yourself lol and omg, so many people in this thread live in NY! Is there a mahvel scene at BMCC? If there is, hook your boy up! My game center had a few people from there chilling playing some marvel and they were pretty good, got some nice magneto experience.

I don't really follow the Marvel scene and when I was at BMCC, I pretty much just stuck to my classes, so don't know if there were any gaming clubs. Much to my amusement, my friend tried to start a Tekken club there a while back along with the ever lovable "Best Lei in the Cosmos" Blood Red. It went about as well as you can imagine.

Serious question, how much did Christopher Doyle come up in cinematography class? The answer better be a lot.

The guy who came up the most was Haskell Wexler. Outside of him, a little bit of Kovacs, Zsigmond, Toland, and some others I don't remember at this very moment. I don't recall Doyle coming up though.

How can you not get an A in classes like those?

Depending on your professors and living situation, it can be plenty difficult. Outside of that Cinematography class, it certainly was pretty difficult for me.

Nice. Congrats on that 4.0.

Thanks man. Only the (probable) halfway point for me though. I'm jelly that you're almost finished.

Tizoc

is DBFC a good game?

JIGGA I BEEN POSTIN HOURS UPON HOURS OF DENGEKI BUNKO FOOTAGE FOR THE PAST 3+ MONTHS, READ MY POSTS DANGIT!
look up game acho on YT and search for Dengeki Bunko or 電撃文庫 or FIGHTING CLIMAX and see if you'd like it

alstein

ArcSys games have a lot of female fans.
Moreso BlazBlue than Guilty Gear.

Arcsys likes that fujoshi money. They even had Emiko Iwasaki design a game for them a few years ago (Battle Fantasia). She's now the artist on Chain Chronicle. I wish she got another chance at fighters- Battle Fantasia has some good ideas and great designs. Only Arcsys game I ever liked.

pixelish

Oh wow I had no idea it was this soon. That trailer was great.

Wow, this was great

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

THIS TRAILERRRR

I WANNA FIGHT SOMEONEEEEEE

yeah, shadowloo showdown's promotional work has always been top stuff. in fact, someone on r/kappa posted all the player posters and all of them look so neat! you can check them out here: http://imgur.com/a/VjwOl

here are some of my favourites

Nyoro SF

Not really, no. Some people like it, but it's just... weird.

I personally think it's quite fun. It's barely more unbalanced than your usual anime game.
I'd say there are about 10 assists usable at the top level. The top tier consists of about ~5 characters, and I'd say 3 of them are frustrating to fight at the highest level.

The gameplay is fun is what I really wanted to talk about though. I like the idea of burning meter to call assists during special and normal attacks, and the AB and AC attacks add a nice dynamic to the fact without being overcomplicated. The burst system is also fun too, especially when both players begin the round by purple bursting.

Shana and Kirino's aggressive domination of neutral is probably the worst part of the game though. Combine that with their damage conversion being some of the highest is what really is the sour spot of the game. No rebalance makes me sad but I guess I'll have to hold that.

Top Bottom