• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 26 - Feb 1 | Zaibatschu

Beef spams air dashed Voomerangs into j.S like all the good VJs do.

Sakurai knew this, which is why he made Villager.

sakurai da gawd
YlVGJ.png

Dahbomb

You can't react to Wolverine's mix ups and not even the gods can do that. All of them have said that his mix ups are pure guesses and why he will always be good.

Gods get by Wolverine by being in spaces where Wolverine can't do his guesses or by disallowing him (like throwing him out of Berserker Slash) but when he is in on your ass it's time to guess.

Thing is that Wolverine guesses are 50/50s almost all the time and it's still not comparable to TACs which are 3 to 4 way mix ups and lead to infinites/crazy meter gain.

And Phoenix would be less used even if the TAC thing was unchanged. It's not that TAC keeps her in check (it does put her at more of a disadvantage), it's that there are other characters that can do what she does without the meter requirement and provide support to the team.

Hell I would argue that TACs actually make Phoenix more viable because of TAC infinites and that's exactly what FChamp has said dozens of times as well. He thinks that Phoenix would not be viable if TAC infinites weren't in the game.

Villager's neutral air even has him spin around like Joe's air S (although not with multiple hits). Lloyd Rockets are like Six Machine Cannons that I don't even need meter for.

sakurai too kind to me, he's the real mvp
9jBmg.png

Villager's neutral air even has him spin around like Joe's air S (although not with multiple hits). Lloyd Rockets are like Six Machine Cannons that I don't even need meter for.

sakurai too kind to me, he's the real mvp
9jBmg.png
Yeah, and Mewtwo is going to have Dormammu style teleports, a neutral B that you can push forward or back on to adjust a psychic shock pillar, he will reflect projectiles with side B, have a tridash, and deal chip damage.

:-(

I guess I have to be happy with Bowser.

Prototype

MH3U is a fantastic game. All is forgiven!

It really blows my mind that the Souls games are so beloved while MH is ignored in the west. MH is just better Souls combat with more variety and a focus on bosses over dungeons.
So true.

I've always wondered why it never caught on in the west considering the love for Souls in difficulty & skill required.

My guess is that the last couple games have been on Nintendo consoles, and the series itself is mostly a handheld one. Which will never fly in the west. Put MH5 on PS4, PC and xbone, and actually advertise it, with the right marketing I think it could do well in the west.

I've also felt there is a relationship between Monster Hunter and Street Fighter, or FGs in general. The skill aspect, timing attacks, predicting what's coming and thinking ahead, movement, ect. Obviously, not the same as they are different genres, but I think there is some overlap there.

I think people who are good at FGs could be stellar hunters.

Kumubou

It really blows my mind that the Souls games are so beloved while MH is ignored in the west. MH is just better Souls combat with more variety and a focus on bosses over dungeons.
It doesn't surprise me one bit; Capcom's support for the series outside of Japan has been laughably bad. The enthauist press has no time for a series their own publisher isn't interested in pushing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I picked up Xrd at launch.
And I haven't even played it yet

I blame my brother for introducing me to Monster Hunter a few weeks before christmas and getting me stuck in that MH3U vortex!

I fell like enzo now, not actually playing any fighting games.
I see no shame in waiting for SCVI and SFV here!
Maybe Rivals of Aether or a Gundam PS4 port.

Gonna play Mortal Kombat X this week. I don't know what build but anyway. Do you want me to test some things for you fellow gaffers? :)

Busaiku

It doesn't surprise me one bit; Capcom's support for the series outside of Japan has been laughably bad. The enthauist press has no time for a series their own publisher isn't interested in pushing.

Capcom/Nintendo's support outside of Japan has actually been great.
New 3DS XL limited edition (with the actual game in, unlike Nintendo's Majora's Mask system), limited edition bundle, promos in Europe (get a free game for registering), regular streams, constant updates on Capcom Unity, all the Nintendo/Capcom gear making it in, and more.
Not to mention there have been constant sales, with it (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate) regularly hitting $20 on eShop (I think that may be the permanent price now, not sure).

The enthusiast press just has no time for a mostly handheld exclusive series.

AAK

Gonna play Mortal Kombat X this week. I don't know what build but anyway. Do you want me to test some things for you fellow gaffers? :)

Please test if some moves consume the Stamina meter or not. Is the Running the only thing that consumes Stamina?

Check if projectiles can interact or if they still go through each other like in MK9.

What does the animation for the combo breaker look like, has it changed?

If you press Retry in a VS battle, does the game reload the entire match like in Tekken/GG or is the retry instant like in DOA/SF4?

Thanks in advance :)

So true.

I've always wondered why it never caught on in the west considering the love for Souls in difficulty & skill required.

My guess is that the last couple games have been on Nintendo consoles, and the series itself is mostly a handheld one. Which will never fly in the west. Put MH5 on PS4, PC and xbone, and actually advertise it, with the right marketing I think it could do well in the west.

I've also felt there is a relationship between Monster Hunter and Street Fighter, or FGs in general. The skill aspect, timing attacks, predicting what's coming and thinking ahead, movement, ect. Obviously, not the same as they are different genres, but I think there is some overlap there.

I once heard MH described as a PVE fighting game, and it's not a bad comparison. I think you hit the nail on the head why it didn't catch on fire in the west. Dark Souls wouldn't have gotten popular as quickly had Demons Souls players not hyped the game to the stratosphere beforehand, and I think MH is getting close to that point. Lot of "Professor Hunters" helping people with the demo.

Kimosabae

Banned
The reason why most people dry hump their monitors when Justin Wong makes a comeback?

It's always inconsistent with X-Factor. When it's a player/team they don't like, fuck that mechanic. When Wong or someone does it, OMGG JUSTIN WONGGGGGG, but otherwise fuck that mechanic look how much it swayed the momentum, when in both situations both X-Factor and decision making are explicitly linked to the outcome. I don't know if a mechanic has ever caused so much cognitive dissonance.

The mechanic is fine for MvC3, given it's defensive utilities.

People get hype for Wong comebacks because he has a knack for doing this across the genre, in games that don't have mechanics in place to specifically facilitate a comeback process. One game in particular, comebacks were so rare, people would often walk away from the cabinet if they got down to their last character. Wong used to make comebacks in that game, routinely. You might have heard of it. It was Called Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

You're ejaculating in your cubical space, here. If you narrow the context of comebacks to Marvel 3 and that game's competitive base, comebacks are to be expected, because the XF mechanic was designed to be powerful enough to make them routine. They're mundane and stupid to someone like me, who grew up playing FGs where a comeback wasn't facilitated by the game's design team handing you a cudgel. All comeback circumstances require skillful decision making, but when a player is forced to rely more on his own genius and will to create the circumstances necessary for a comeback, rather than just press 4 buttons, that's more hype, because it's more skillful. Not hard to understand.

If your anchor touches the ground with XF3, and your opponent lacks XF, the game is in your favor, no matter how many characters they have. It's too dependent on XF as a resource.

Is is a good video game? :) That's all I really want to know.

I'm confident but I'll check anyway. :D

I just want to know what mechanics have changed since MK9, and whether it is less clunky.

From what I can tell it's mostly the same except the dash cannot be block canceled. Instead you get the run that can be canceled with anything. I'll check the stamina draining of all this for you if you want.

I wanna know more Cassie Cage related stuff in general. Not a lot of footage of her for whatever reason.

Not my favorite character but I'll test her then. :)

I'm curious to see if it plays more like Injustice or MK9.

What are the key differences between the two games for you?

Please test if some moves consume the Stamina meter or not. Is the Running the only thing that consumes Stamina?
Check if projectiles can interact or if they still go through each other like in MK9.
If you press Retry in a VS battle, does the game reload the entire match like in Tekken/GG or is the retry instant like in DOA/SF4?

Noted!

People get hype for Wong comebacks because he has a knack for doing this across the genre, in games that don't have mechanics in place to specifically facilitate a comeback process. One game in particular, comebacks were so rare, people would often walk away from the cabinet if they got down to their last character. Wong used to make comebacks in that game, routinely. You might have heard of it. It was Called Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

You're ejaculating in your cubical space, here. If you narrow the context of comebacks to Marvel 3 and that game's competitive base, comebacks are to be expected, because the XF mechanic was designed to be powerful enough to make them routine. They're mundane and stupid to someone like me, who grew up playing FGs where a comeback wasn't facilitated by the game's design team handing you a cudgel. All comeback circumstances require skillful decision making, but when a player is forced to rely more on his own genius and will to create the circumstances necessary for a comeback, rather than just press 4 buttons, that's more hype, because it's more skillful. Not hard to understand.

If your anchor touches the ground with XF3, and your opponent lacks XF, the game is in your favor, no matter how many characters they have. It's too dependent on XF as a resource.
That one is new to me.

Even in that situation a snap is effective. You can get hit by log trap and have recovered around the time that Rocket comes in.

Joe is too high in the air to get hit with a snapback, if you're doing it right.

That's the last I'm gonna talk about it though, because I'm not getting suckered into discussing umvc3 in 2015.

UMVC3

IN 2015

Card Boy

Banned
TMNT: Tournament Fighters is amazing on the SNES but it is missing some iconic fighters.

Where is;

Bepop
Rocksteady
Splinter
Casey (NES and Megadrive versions had him)
Krang
April O'Neil (playable in Megadrive version)
A foot solider

Despite its 10 character roster the game is legit better than SF2. I aint even trolling, drunk, high or joking.

TMNT: Tournament Fighters is amazing on the SNES but it is missing some iconic fighters.

Where is;

Bepop
Rocksteady
Splinter
Casey (NES and Megadrive versions had him)
Krang
April O'Neil (playable in Megadrive version)
A foot solider

Despite its 10 character roster the game is legit better than SF2. I aint even trolling, drunk, high or joking.

I'm willing to sacrifice Casey and April to the Genesis version since it meant that the SNES version wasn't bad like the Genesis one.

Pappasman

This is really true. My brother was struggling with Souls(similar to MonHun obviously), but once I started giving him advice from a FG perspective everything clicked for him. Pressure, when to go in, when to back off, finding an opening, determining "safe on block" situations, etc.

Dahbomb

Wong making comebacks in MVC2 "routinely" is an exaggeration.

In MVC2 comebacks are an anomaly unlike most other fighting games (yes even those ones with comeback mechanics). That's because when you are down to 1 character against 3, not only is that your worst character but you are fighting with a single character that has less that 1/3rd of the tools the other guy has. You don't have access to assists, DHCs, THCs, Counter, raw tag to escape etc. It's why in MVC2 it was commonplace to just let go of the stick and let the other player kill your last character because it was pointless exercise especially against a Storm/Sentinel duo.

This is not the case in a game like Tekken or even SF. When you lose 2/3rd of your life in Tekken you aren't also losing 2/3rd of your toolset. Imagine if you are playing Kazuya, you get hit by a combo now you can't use Hell Sweep, 112 and EWGF. You get hit by another combo now you can't use a bunch of other tools. The chance of making comeback even by outplaying your opponent becomes far less as the match up becomes worse and worse over the course of the game.

This is a situation that is unique to games like MVC2/MVC3. That's why I always bombast comeback mechanics in other fighting games but will defend it in these games because the losing player is always put into an unfair position. In Tekken, if you are down to one pixel then you still have a very good chance to make a comeback because your chance of getting the next hit is still equal to the other guy. That's not the case in a MVC2/MVC3... getting a hit with Haggar + Plasma Beam + Drones is much easier than getting a hit with solo Haggar.

That is what X factor was supposed to combat. It was a means to temporarily allow players to overcome the tool deficit of having 70-80% less tools than your opponent. Yea the stat boost values of XF are gross but the idea is just in a game like this.

And non XF comebacks in MVC3 are still ridiculously hard and still hype. A lot of players have gotten much better at controlling XF characters so you see far less of these types of comebacks. The only 3 or 4 characters that are EXPECTED to make comebacks are Vergil, Phoenix, Strider and those characters were basically designed for this purpose (as anchors). This is why Justin making comebacks with Akuma (especially without XF) is fucking hype.

fader

see what you have done yams!

EDIT: honestly, I dont think X Factor would be considered as such as a bad mechanic if you couldn't get so much out of so little in basic gameplay of MVC3 after one unclean hit. If the hitboxes/hurtboxes/character models were smaller, I think a lot of people would enjoy X Factor a lot more.

Kimosabae

Banned
Yeah, routinely is an obvious exaggeration. My point was that Wong was known for making comebacks and Gavin people get hype over then well prior to mvc3.

• Using Interactables, Backdashing, and Breakers consume Stamina as well. Backdashing and interactalbes are one stamina bar (out of 2) and you need a full stamina meter for breakers.
  • Projectiles go through each other like in every Mortal Kombat game and Injustice
  • Breaker animations are character specific, Scorpion's for example is his backflip kick move that he sometimes has as a special in some of the games.
Unless of course they've changed any of that since the last gameplay demos, but as of my knowledge those are the answers.

So true.

Personally, as a big Souls fan, a fighting game guy and as someone who has tried to get into Monster Hunter a few times, I feel MH just doesn't respect my time. The games have too much busy work for my tastes, and getting certain armor sets or upgrades is too much of a grind for me. In Souls, as long as you're good you can basically do whatever you want and get whatever you want minus a few exceptions. (That I usually ignore)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

He has a knack for doing it across the genre? I thought it was just MvC2, and some notable ones that gave him that rep. Certainly not in SF4. Otherwise I'm not sure what this has to do with what I mentioned, since I agree for the most part about X-Factor being a very influential mechanic because of pitfalls in mechanics elsewhere like scaling and TACs, but those are primarily issues elsewhere and the amplified X-Factor effects aren't crazy. I guess some people find it crummy all around but it's way too transparent to me when people still find that shit hype in one scenario (like some of the not so impressive Wong MvC3 comebacks) but when someone else fails to utilize the resource properly in another case, they give the winner shit for mechanic abuse or some other scapegoat.

Top Bottom