• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 26 - Feb 1 | Zaibatschu

mbpm1

Jesus, Marvel lives on in Omega

Figures. :lol

There's also this lol

tumblr_niqmkbrVqB1u9o7gzo1_500.gif

sikvod00

Banned
How recent was this? I heard the line but didn't know if it was something that happened recently or just got dug up again.

To be completely honest, I get where he's coming from but I quite honestly immediately disregard the opinion of anyone throwing entire things (in this case mediums) under a bus because it's not to their ideal. Find the good or make it yourself and stop bitching. :p

You can read more about his views on anime here.
I assume that's the same person. I googled the quote and it was the first hit. :p

Justin's SF4 career is sub-par compared to Marvel. IMO, his best accomplishment isn't even winning a U.S. major in that game, but eliminating Fuudo at EVO (2013?). I know it was also big victory for him since Fuudo was up 2-0 against him in tourneys already. Beating THE Fei-long with a character most in Japan have given up on is impressive. Let's also not forget that he was mainly focusing on Marvel by that point. :3

Justin's peak in sf4 was in vanilla getting 2nd at evo and doing well in the gamestop tournament. You would have to ask Justin if he considers that fei long matchup as his best moment.

sikvod00

Banned
Justin's peak in sf4 was in vanilla getting 2nd at evo and doing well in the gamestop tournament. You would have to ask Justin if he considers that fei long matchup as his best moment.
Ayyy lmao. Yeah, I know that was his best tournament result, but I just dismissed it since everyone was sill scrubs at the game :p. As for the victory over Fuudo (it was definitely him and not Mago, just checked), I just know he was proud of the win since it was basically revenge victory. I know because I remember asking him in it in his stream. But it impressed me the most out of his SF4 performance.

smurfx

get some go again
Jeez another terrible day at the hospital. Good thing they got wifi so I can browse neogaf and distract myself.

Glad to wake up and see so much marvel talk ^_^
LONG LIVE THE KING

And I don't think Chrono Trigger is an RPG :p
It's just a linear game with menu-driven combat.
I say this as a fan of the game!
If your perspective redefines the pinnacle of its genre as a new genre without changing anything else, I think you are clearly wrong. :p

YAMS DID IT.

Personally, it's not so much Souls' combat and mechanics that get me but the atmosphere. That shit is so godlike it ain't even funny. MH can't compare.

JC u had me but then.....breh.....why you doin this..
I love both atmospheres. MH is like a Saturday morning cartoon. So much charm and nonsense.

Riposte

I know of at least one example of someone faking the subs for the Miyazaki documentary for trolling reasons. Not sure about these though.

Persona is cool and all but damn if it's not overrated around here badly
The RPG, or fighting game?

Because if you are talking about the RPG, I wholly disagree. I am a contrarion, and loathed SMTIV, entering P4G with skepticism, and I love this game. Truly fantastic. Unless they blow the ending, I might put this just behind CT in my GOAT list. Bumping FFVI down.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The RPG, or fighting game?

Because if you are talking about the RPG, I wholly disagree. I am a contrarion, and loathed SMTIV, entering P4G with skepticism, and I love this game. Truly fantastic. Unless they blow the ending, I might put this just behind CT in my GOAT list. Bumping FFVI down.

The RPG. I was reading visual novels already by the time the game came out so all that stuff that was in P3 and P4 was nothing new or special. Half the time I see people talking about why they liked it so much the visual novel stuff tends to get brought up and at that I'm just like eh it's average in that regard. Has a good twist though.

Shadow Hearts Covenant is one of my higher rated RPGs near that CT and FF6 spot. Persona 3 and 4 are pretty down the list. Persona 2 *with both versions together* is a bit higher than it's sequels. P3 and 4 do have awesome OST's though that's for sure.

The RPG. I was reading visual novels already by the time the game came out so all that stuff that was in P3 and P4 was nothing new or special. Half the time I see people talking about why they liked it so much the visual novel stuff tends to get brought up and at that I'm just like eh it's average in that regard. Has a good twist though.

Shadow Hearts Covenant is one of my higher rated RPGS near that CT and FF6 spot. Persona 3 and 4 are pretty down the list. Persona 2 *with both versions together* is a bit higher than it's sequels. P3 and 4 do have awesome OST's though that's for sure.
I only ever played Shadow Hearts, but I loved it. I didn't make it far through the sequel, though I still own it. Worthwhile? I loved that the combat system kept me on my feet.

I like everything about P4, except that I hate not being able to increase Slinks with every outing. Plus I didn't get my waifu Yukiko to level 10 before the festival. :( I also didn't like having to break Yumi's heart in such a cold way. Anyway, I think the combat is fantastic, and I really enjoy the theme and characters. Just solid on all ends.

I am still not done with P4, but I won't do P3 until it gets an update.

Oh yeah, and the game has made me laugh hard at numerous points. Something modern RPGs seem to forget about...all the greats of the past were funny.

Kumubou

He's speaking more out against the loli-fetishing repetitive shonen tropes anime than anything else though
I think at least a fair part of the genre's and business' narrow focus is self-inflicted, though. The payrates for animators and artists is absolutely atrocious, to the point where it's something the only the most dedicated (and insane) would even think of doing. They make videogame developers look like they're ballin out of control.

I can now most certainly say thank god I never went to any local tournies. :p
Good god I'm terrible :p
Except for the fact that's how you actually get good. If you don't play better players, you'll just stay terrible.

ShinMaruku

Except for the fact that's how you actually get good. If you don't play better players, you'll just stay terrible.

I have perponderance of better players. At the point I am at currently going to a tourney would not help. How can one understand what they don't know? I'm a ways away from that. No need to waste time playing in a tourney when I ain't feelin it.
offline is how you get better! long sets, no bullshit
Well I did do 5 hours of games today and lost around 48 times. I shall see in 6 months if I improve. Right now impossible to tell.

Kumubou

I have perponderance of better players. At the point I am at currently going to a tourney would not help. How can one understand what they don't know? I'm a ways away from that. No need to waste time playing in a tourney when I ain't feelin it.
I kind of doubt your local event is like walking into Topanga A League. :x That and unless your local community is full of jerks, you should be able to get some help. Now if you don't want to go for other reasons that's fine, but at least be honest about it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I only ever played Shadow Hearts, but I loved it. I didn't make it far through the sequel, though I still own it. Worthwhile? I loved that the combat system kept me on my feet.

I like everything about P4, except that I hate not being able to increase Slinks with every outing. Plus I didn't get my waifu Yukiko to level 10 before the festival. :( I also didn't like having to break Yumi's heart in such a cold way. Anyway, I think the combat is fantastic, and I really enjoy the theme and characters. Just solid on all ends.

I am still not done with P4, but I won't do P3 until it gets an update.

Oh yeah, and the game has made me laugh hard at numerous points. Something modern RPGs seem to forget about...all the greats of the past were funny.

Shadow Hearts 2 is amazing and yeah if you want something that will make you laugh it will def do that :p

Shadow Hearts 2 also has one of the few moments in it that actually made me feel depressed while playing a game.

ShinMaruku

The closest event I have is either NLBC. Not sure how good or bad they are, just know the NY scene is clannish. But yeah not feeling ready to go into a local until I am at ground level. I can assure you I am not at ground level.

Dlent

It can be helped, especially if you want to improve at fighting games in general.
Don't play Marvel.

ShinMaruku

I just find it hillarious I can do some things in DOA and it mystifies people that I suck at SF but they never played that other game.
Let's be honest they never will either. And that is fine.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
The closest event I have is either NLBC. Not sure how good or bad they are, just know the NY scene is clannish. But yeah not feeling ready to go into a local until I am at ground level. I can assure you I am not at ground level.

Next Level is filled with some decent SF players until Battle Circuit happens, the monsters come out of hiding. If you wanna get a ground level, if I'm understanding you correctly, you need to keep on playing the game until you get there so don't be afraid of facing people.

It can be helped, especially if you want to improve at fighting games in general.
Don't play Marvel.

I bet you love Mahvel, don't you Dlent?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I just find it hillarious I can do some things in DOA and it mystifies people that I suck at SF but they never played that other game.
Let's be honest they never will either. And that is fine.

Being good at DoA should help you overall in lots of fighting games unless you are the type that just attacks all the time nonstop. DoA is like the ultimate make good reads and break down your opponent's playstyle game.

ShinMaruku

I take on all comers but if the skill gulf is too profound playing them would be a waste of time since I would not understand why I lost. It's like if I went to a pro football league and never had the mind of a footballer.

I learned 3 new games at locals.

Learned them. As in, I didn't even know the inputs before I sat down. If you have a good community, they are glad to teach you. In the cases of SFIV, P4A, and Skullgirls, I just sat down and asked if someone would show me. I consider myself at least average in two of those games now.

I got offers for two other games, too: SFxT, and Injustice. I thought they both sucked, though, so I didn't stick with them.

The ONLY community that never invited me to sit down and learn was the 3D fighting game community. They seem to like being isolated. So stay away from Tekken.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I take on all comers but if the skill gulf is too profound playing them would be a waste of time since I would not understand why I lost. It's like if I went to a pro football league and never had the mind of a footballer.
That's another benefit of playing offline - you can talk to your opponent.

ShinMaruku

Being good at DoA should help you overall in lots of fighting games unless you are the type that just attacks all the time nonstop. DoA is like the ultimate make good reads and break down your opponent's playstyle game.

It really is. It's why some people love to watch my Momiji or why Rig's for the most part will have a issue with my Ayane. For Momiji I put pressure to either score a launcher or I make them try to mash counter. When they mash counter they get counter thrown. Which is terrible because her throws hurt like hell and some launch allowing me a juggle AFTER the throw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSNcT3e1qgs

Rigs tend to like to hit buttons because ideally his are great, the issue is Ayane has crushing moves where they get crushed then launched and die to counter hits.
Exhibited here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkpbVVwwiTU&x-yt-ts=1422040409&x-yt-cl=84637285 Count the counter hits and watch how his health goes down.

Oh and the Tekken community, I got no time for that so I would not ask them anyway. :p

Top Bottom