• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 10-16 | We got new fighting games! And a new Smash Bros!

man, the excessive hitsparks in KI remind me of how boring the lack of hitsparks makes MK and Injustice look

i also love how they're affected by physics

and dat meaty hitstop and screen shake on hits

this game is already hype to watch

Sayah

Namco just needs to have enough influence to ensure that SSB4 will have EXCELLENT netcode and online rankings, chat, lobbies and leaderboards. Because omg if we are still using speech bubble text taunts to communicate with others online.

Edit: Also, I haven't seen any tripping in the gameplay vids so far. Good sign. lol

Well it looks a lot better than the old KI's that's for sure.

Well, that's not very hard lol. If your game is a fighting game, then by default it looked better than the original K.I.

Anyways, K.I.3 still looks pretty bad as a fighting game. As a product it looks beautiful though, amazingly gorgeous.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Namco just needs to have enough influence to ensure that SSB4 will have EXCELLENT netcode and online rankings, chat, lobbies and leaderboards. Because omg if we are still using speech bubble text taunts to communicate with others online.

Edit: Also, I haven't seen any tripping in the gameplay vids so far. Good sign. lol
There's a screenshot of what can be construed as Mario tripping! Believe ;)

Also that Linkin Park reference by Brian was hilarious.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
OMG this guy going in on Mew2King.

"When you see that guy in real life you just want to mercy kill the mothafucka"

holy shit

kick51

Banned
What about it is "bad" as a fighting game? Like I am trying hard to find faults myself in the mechanics but they seem fine so far at least.

I don't think it looked anywhere near bad, but some criticisms I've had so far:

This whole new combo breaker system is pretty convoluted and comes off as a band-aid over giving people the ability to mash anything into anything.

In practice, it might feel better, but hearing about it and seeing it have not sold me on it. Justin did something into one of those 3 hit auto-combos, the guy said "that's medium" then another and he said "that's light" and they looked nearly identical. and when can you break? Is it during the whole auto-string?

Shouta

Sheesh, no NWM talk on UltraChenTV.

Ricky getting denied even 4th place not worth even 10 minutes of talk from UltraDavid and Ultrachen. =|

Moaradin

Capcom should just give the rights of Mega Man to Nintendo and be done with it. Mega Man in smash looks better than any of Capcom's efforts in ages.

Dahbomb

I don't think it looked anywhere near bad, but some criticisms I've had so far:

This whole new combo breaker system is pretty convoluted and comes off as a band-aid over giving people the ability to mash anything into anything.

In practice, it might feel better, but hearing about it and seeing it have not sold me on it. Justin did something into one of those 3 hit auto-combos, the guy said "that's medium" then another and he said "that's light" and they looked nearly identical. and when can you break? Is it during the whole auto-string?
This whole system is pretty new to me too but here is what I could gather:

*You can combo break mid combo obviously but you can't combo break certain moves/specials (mostly the big moves and enders)

*Combo break is done pressing two Ls, 2 Ms or 2 Hs. This has to be in correspondence with their L, M and H respectively.

*L moves are faster and harder to react to when it comes to combo breaking but you are dealing less damage. Heavies are easier to react to but lead to more damage in combos obviously.

*So there's a whole mind game within a combo. If the combo breaker person inputs the wrong button then he is essentially stunned for a few seconds during which the attacker can go ham.

*The Combi Breaker itself doean't lead to much damage at all but it does build your Instinct.

*The whole point of combo breakers is to make your opponent variate their combos a lot. If they lean on one BnB they will get blown up. Plus this also stops those pesky repetitive moves of Saberwolf. As far as which moves are L, M, H when he was covering Saberwolf there was a definite difference between his Ms and Hs, one would come from top the other from the side.

*You can bait the combo breaker and go for resets which was what the Saberwolf players were doing, they would dash behind you mid combo.

kick51

Banned

*You can combo break mid combo obviously but you can't combo break certain moves/specials (mostly the big moves and enders)

*Combo break is done pressing two Ls, 2 Ms or 2 Hs. This has to be in correspondence with their L, M and H respectively.

*L moves are faster and harder to react to when it comes to combo breaking but you are dealing less damage. Heavies are easier to react to but lead to more damage in combos obviously.

*So there's a whole mind game within a combo. If the combo breaker person inputs the wrong button then he is essentially stunned for a few seconds during which the attacker can go ham.

*The Combi Breaker itself doean't lead to much damage at all but it does build your Instinct.

*The whole point of combo breakers is to make your opponent variate their combos a lot. If they lean on one BnB they will get blown up. Plus this also stops those pesky repetitive moves of Saberwolf. As far as which moves are L, M, H when he was covering Saberwolf there was a definite difference between his Ms and Hs, one would come from top the other from the side.

*You can bait the combo breaker and go for resets which was what the Saberwolf players were doing, they would dash behind you mid combo.

see, that's all kinds of fucked up, but it sounds fun too.

What does OBS stand for? Here I'll start: Obnoxious Belligerent Shitheads.

Old broken scrotum

Zissou

That actually sounds kind of interesting. It's too bad it's exclusive to a system I refuse to buy.

Paraphrasing JamesMK:
3z21EL7.png
Something offensive was said on Cross Counter, why aren't they banned too?
3z21EL7.png

Dahbomb

Also I am not sure how the combo breakers work with doubles. Doubles are like normal move extensions after specials, with manual doubles being links and auto doubles being like chains. This is what it looked like they were saying although I could be wrong on the terminology. Eventhubs and Max said that going for manual doubles (2 frame link roughly) will lead to more damage and are "harder" to combo break.

One more thing is that there is this bar that fills up during combos (think of it like the hit stun gauge). If it fills up to max the character will drop out. When it reaches max you can tack on a finisher/ultra whatever and it will bypass it so you are encouraged to go for these finishers for big damage.

Instinct mode is essentially an X factor cancel that you can only do when you are attacking and on the ground. You are then powered up with a trait specific to your character, like a speed boost (Saberwolf) or damage boost (Jago)).

Ultras work the opposite of SF4. You can only use them when your opponent is low on health. With Instinct cancel you can do Ultra IC Ultra and that will kill for sure. The rounds are like Injustice and Ultras do build meter back so you can use it at the end to gain free meter from beating on their incapacitated body.

Edgeward

I hope Link isn't awful in the new Smash. He seems to get worse and worse with each new one.

Just like the main Zelda games

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I hope Link isn't awful in the new Smash. He seems to get worse and worse with each new one.

Just like the main Zelda games
I really liked playing Link in 64 but for some reason completely hated him in Brawl and Melee.

I think it has to do with his spinny move.

Top Bottom