• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 10-16 | We got new fighting games! And a new Smash Bros!

smurfx

get some go again
when is the new smash bros being released? if the wii u gets a price drop by the time its released then i might get one for smash and mario kart. i will definitely main mega man. i hope pacman is a new character as well.

it's coming in 2014, just like every other Wii U game worth buying.

I'm still debating whether or not to get one for Bayo 2, but luckily I have a lot of time to decide.

Edgeward

I will get a Wii U but once/after X is released and not a second before. And by that time, I will have definitely finished Xenoblade. I hope.

Anth0ny

So what are Wii U fans going to play this year then?

pikmin, wonderful 101, wind waker hd, 3d mario, donkey kong.

Second half of 2013 is actually amazing for Wii U. 2014 is going to be god tier if the announced games don't get delayed.

smash 4 will fall into early 2015 guaranteeeeeeeeeeeeed

Azure J

iblamKoNqSKtSk.png

I totally forgot about how fucking hilarious the Smash fanbase can be at times. Hardcore Wii Fit Trainer and psychotic Villager are killing me.

I popped into the Capcom stream earlier when they were showing Lost Planet, and the dude on stream was like "Guys, we're not showing marvel today. Stop asking!"

Infinite

I popped into the Capcom stream earlier when they were showing Lost Planet, and the dude on stream was like "Guys, we're not showing marvel today. Stop asking!"
One of y'all would find a way to spin that into "I guess they're showing the marvel patch tomorrow" or something

So generic USB peripherals may still work on PS4 according to a recent interview. Maybe not all, but many. So hopefully we can still put our current PS3 sticks to work. I was planning on getting a stick for next gen anyways, but it would be good to know that I can still use my current ones without modding. But if it works for mine and hopefully all sticks, that would just further back PS4 as the tournament standard when next gen fighters arrive.

Isn't being able to sell a bunch of new peripherals to people a really big incentive against having generic USB devices? I realize Sony is trying to be the consumer-friendly company this gen but that seems like a bit of a reach.

Horseress

What did the CrossCounter guys said off mic that was offensive?

Also, why Mario was never a top tier in Smash? He kinda should

What's the difference between TACs and KI's general combo system? All I can think of is the lack of meter trade off:
1) Enter an input or take more damage.
2) Bait break inputs for resets.
3) Everything is a guess.

Enordash

This whole system is pretty new to me too but here is what I could gather:

*You can combo break mid combo obviously but you can't combo break certain moves/specials (mostly the big moves and enders)

*Combo break is done pressing two Ls, 2 Ms or 2 Hs. This has to be in correspondence with their L, M and H respectively.

*L moves are faster and harder to react to when it comes to combo breaking but you are dealing less damage. Heavies are easier to react to but lead to more damage in combos obviously.

*So there's a whole mind game within a combo. If the combo breaker person inputs the wrong button then he is essentially stunned for a few seconds during which the attacker can go ham.

*The Combi Breaker itself doean't lead to much damage at all but it does build your Instinct.

*The whole point of combo breakers is to make your opponent variate their combos a lot. If they lean on one BnB they will get blown up. Plus this also stops those pesky repetitive moves of Saberwolf. As far as which moves are L, M, H when he was covering Saberwolf there was a definite difference between his Ms and Hs, one would come from top the other from the side.

*You can bait the combo breaker and go for resets which was what the Saberwolf players were doing, they would dash behind you mid combo.

Thank you, Dahbomb. I am now incredibly hyped for this game. I'll try to keep it in check, though. I remember everyone telling me SFxT was the best thing since ever times.

Beckx

I totally forgot about how fucking hilarious the Smash fanbase can be at times. Hardcore Wii Fit Trainer and psychotic Villager are killing me.

Haha, I was wondering what this was all about, then see this on twitter:

@The_Villager1 5h
Do you feel it? Me, standing over you while you're sleeping? #ssb4

Malice215

Isn't being able to sell a bunch of new peripherals to people a really big incentive against having generic USB devices? I realize Sony is trying to be the consumer-friendly company this gen but that seems like a bit of a reach.

Peripherals are going to be sold regardless. It's just Sony simply using standard technology. MS is the one who went out of their way by not using generic USB with the X360.

Dahbomb

What's the difference between TACs and KI's general combo system? All I can think of is the lack of meter trade off:
You can react to the moves, it's not a guess and Combo Breakers don't lead to much real damage/meter gain at all.

I honestly thought it was like a TAC as well but the guy was basically doing stuff on reaction especially the Ms and Hs of Saberwolf.

Also if you fuck up a Combo Breaker you are in worse situation than before. Combo Breakers sort of reward knowledge of the opponent and their combo tendency... TAC is a true guessing game.

kick51

Banned

I was thinking the same thing, they're both 33% guesses. But the combo breaker system gives an extra penalty for guessing wrong and as you get more familiar with the animations of the game, it'll be way easier to see than the TAC "color flash."

For TACs, I'm content to mash a direction or choose the one that would be most wise for me to break (if they have an infinite that requires it.) For KI, I'm going to be much more cautious, particularly if the penalty for guessing wrong is harsh enough.

edit: apparently I'm echoing what Dahbomb said, which I didn't see before haha^^

You can react to the moves, it's not a guess and Combo Breakers don't lead to much real damage/meter gain at all.

I honestly thought it was like a TAC as well but the guy was basically doing stuff on reaction especially the Ms and Hs of Saberwolf.

Also if you fuck up a Combo Breaker you are in worse situation than before. Combo Breakers sort of reward knowledge of the opponent and their combo tendency... TAC is a true guessing game.
If they're reactable, then that just means no one will ever go for combos. Seems like a lose-lose to me. Meterless combo breakers can never be part of a competitive fighting game. It just can't work.

And "opponent tendency" is the same crap argument people use for TACs. There are no tendencies for good players. They decide on the fly.

Beckx

Gotta love Kojima.

Man, before E3 I hadn't any reason to buy a new gen console, now I have at least 9 new games I wanna play on the PS4

Best E3 ever?

The Sony event will go down in E3 lore, as will the massive backlash over MS and the Mattrick gaffe-a-thon.

There's a lot I'm excited about.

Also, David Jaffe was tweeting about his excitement for that "DROP KICK" game at Sony's booth. :D

SmokeMaxX

Didn't some other game have some bullshit reactable breaks of some kind (an older DoA?) which meant that offense sucked and the game never got much competitive play?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Didn't some other game have some bullshit reactable breaks of some kind (an older DoA?) which meant that offense sucked and the game never got much competitive play?

Yeah, pretty much. The problem with some of the DoA's is that the damage from counters/combo breaks were so huge that going on the offensive was a huge risk without enough payoff. It punished offensive play.

What did the CrossCounter guys said off mic that was offensive?

Tastysteve told a homophobic story to whoever he was sitting next to during a mic check while the stream was being set up. Penny Arcade had an article about it, and Gootecks has already issued a written apology.

But to JamesMK, since his show is suspended and CC isn't, that means there's a Capcom conspiracy.

Dahbomb

If they're reactable, then that just means no one will ever go for combos. Seems like a lose-lose to me. Meterless combo breakers can never be part of a competitive fighting game. It just can't work.

And "opponent tendency" is the same crap argument people use for TACs. There are no tendencies for good players. They decide on the fly.
People will go for combos because that's really the only way to do damage. Combos are a mix up, its not like you DON'T go for mix ups because good players can react to it. It's sort of counter intuitive when you think about it but when you see it play out in a match it works fine. There's probably a limit in play as to when you can combo break because no one was mashing combo breaks and those who were got styled on pretty hard. I want to see more on the system before I comment further.

I think the bigger problem in the game is how unrewarding footsies and zoning are in this game. Jago does a cr.MK into Fireball Ryu style and does 4% damage. Fireballs do very little damage and doing that purple block gains you meter. Sabrewolf absolutely mauls Jago because when he gets in he does like 30-40% combos or if he uses resources can do 50% combo. Jago can do that too but his rushdown tools aren't as great. The only thing Fireballs are good for is building meter. I can't imagine how some of the zoning characters are going to handle in this game like Glacius, it seems like a rushdown heavy game especially with how much of the stuff in the game is safe on block.

kick51

Banned
They were pretty happy about 25% meter gain on block and their love for 3S (and they've got guys who worked on Weaponlord, which had a pre-3S parry system and zero zoning.)

So, zoning will probably not be very viable in this game. Which is fine, encourages aggression, but the game might end up a mess in terms of balance.

Horseress

Tastysteve told a homophobic story to whoever he was sitting next to during a mic check while the stream was being set up. Penny Arcade had an article about it, and Gootecks has already issued a written apology.

But to JamesMK, since his show is suspended and CC isn't, that means there's a Capcom conspiracy.

Actually, I watched OBS last night (just the first hour I think) and they were talking about "normal game" stuff! I was shocked, and it was great. If they manage to maintain some level, it can be a good show

I think the bigger problem in the game is how unrewarding footsies and zoning are in this game. Jago does a cr.MK into Fireball Ryu style and does 4% damage. Fireballs do very little damage and doing that purple block gains you meter. Sabrewolf absolutely mauls Jago because when he gets in he does like 30-40% combos or if he uses resources can do 50% combo. Jago can do that too but his rushdown tools aren't as great. The only thing Fireballs are good for is building meter. I can't imagine how some of the zoning characters are going to handle in this game like Glacius, it seems like a rushdown heavy game especially with how much of the stuff in the game is safe on block.

In one of the KI interviews yesterday they were like "Someone asked how viable zoning is in this game. We've got 3 types of characters in the game. Balanced characters like Jago, rushdown characters, and grapplers!"

Way to answer the question, bro.

BadWolf

Gotta love Kojima.

Man, before E3 I hadn't any reason to buy a new gen console, now I have at least 9 new games I wanna play on the PS4

Best E3 ever?

Agreed, I was set on waiting a couple of years for the library to build (as I always do with a new console) but this E3 is making it very difficult to resist.

offcast

Neo Member
Hope you guys enjoyed the Killer Instinct stream last night. I was super hype when Gootecks called me up to get the stream setup. The developers are really friendly guys who are looking for all kinds of feedback relating to the game.

People will go for combos because that's really the only way to do damage. Combos are a mix up, its not like you DON'T go for mix ups because good players can react to it. It's sort of counter intuitive when you think about it but when you see it play out in a match it works fine. There's probably a limit in play as to when you can combo break because no one was mashing combo breaks and those who were got styled on pretty hard. I want to see more on the system before I comment further.

I grew up playing KI, I know how it works in practice. Everyone knows it's terrible. It will be terrible in this game, too. Quote me for a blow-up if I'm wrong. But I will not be wrong.

KI games are even worse than MK games.

Top Bottom