• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 10-16 | We got new fighting games! And a new Smash Bros!

SmokeMaxX

Only word from Sony is still that they will "more than likely" work.

Madcatz could be referring to the need to put in the share button or whatever the heck the Dual Shock 4 has.
Wouldn't that still mean that the sticks don't work if those buttons are required?
That article doesn't say they won't work, it just says that madcatz will make new ones.
Did we read the same article?
"Playstation 4 will require a whole new set of peripherals," Neville said.

Require a whole new set of peripherals sounds like it'll... require a whole new set of peripherals. It's true that he didn't straight up say "PS3 sticks won't work on PS4" but considering the headline, I imagine that was the question asked. I will admit, though, that I will never doubt the incompetence of video game journalists. It's very possible that the writer misunderstood a quote.

200px-Brawl-Tripping.gif

UBH0k7U.gif

That's fucking ridiculous lol.

Karst by your definition MAX is an RPG (the game I posted as a pic example). You give attack and move commands via menu system and the game is turn based. Its actually just a turned based strategy game. With that notion the Disciple series is also an RPG. Under your definition most menu based strategy games are RPGs as are most trading card games. I can't really accept that because I feel that RPGs have to include the core idea of what it means.... that you are role playing someone and you are making decisions that alter the character's progress and growth. If your character is not progressing or changing over the course of the game then I can't see the game as an RPG. I personally think you have the idea reversed... menu based game play CAN be a feature of an RPG.

I wasn't agreeing that Demon/Dark Souls is not an RPG... I was just saying that the base logic applied for that game to call it an RPG can be applied to DMC as well. I sure as hell don't think DMC is an RPG but I think the DS games are closer to an RPG than the DMC games are.

On the note of FFXV, what you are seeing is all menu driven combat. You should look at the bottom left hand of the screen.. there are commands for Attack, Warp and other stuff. Under your definition this is an RPG.
No no no, I said that all RPGs are menu-based, but not all menu-based games are RPGs.

I do think that playing a character role is an important aspect of something being an RPG (after all, that's what the acronym stands for). I just don't think it's the only criteria. If you just want to say an RPG is any game where you role play someone, then pretty much every AAA game is an RPG. Bioshock, Uncharted, and Castle Crashers are RPGs by that standard, and I think that's ridiculous.

I would need to see the FFXV gameplay more detailed, because it really looked like he was doing more than clicking options. However, if that's all he's doing, then I'd call it an RPG. I was just going by the video and how well I could interpret what was going on (not well).

*Wii U
*Next Gen

Pick one.
autobotsrollout0tjbd.gif

That doesn't look next gen to you?
Generations are chronological anyway.

And this is why your suggestion will never work.

And that's the end of that.

I for one, am most likely getting a PS4 (later because buying consoles at launch usually turn out bad). But for exclusives (only Killer Instinct at the moment), tournaments are most likely to at least try to have a Xbone on hand to run the game at least in the beginning. So in that case, why do they just not cut the cost of the game with each other and do the rotation. If you had 3 majors agreeing to rotate their Killer Instinct copy (you can still buy the whole game I believe), you pay the price of 1 set but can use it for 3 different events. Plus with the rise of f2p, where people have to buy characters piece by piece if they do pursue that model, then why not have all characters unlocked on some accounts that can be passed around for the tournament. Better yet, if there are sponsors they could supply accounts with the required game(s) they wanted, so they wouldn't need to go through f2p unlocks or pay walls. Even if there is no sponsors TOs can try to mitigate cost among each other for the Xbones they do get on hand. I don't doubt the PS4 will be the tournament standard, but if there is a Xbone on hand, it could possibly be put to use in some circumstances because I wouldn't be surprised if some people in the FGC are gonna pick up a Xbone for KI.

kirblar

What are these "creepy sexual posts" in the Smash thread about?

All I see are villager memes, which are supposed to be creepy (and hilarious!)

Dahbomb

I would need to see the FFXV gameplay more detailed, because it really looked like he was doing more than clicking options. However, if that's all he's doing, then I'd call it an RPG. I was just going by the video and how well I could interpret what was going on (not well).
I think it's a hybrid. Like a lot of your actions and skills you have to select them from the mini menu at the bottom right hand side of the screen but regular movement is just standard realtime action game stuff.

I for one, am most likely getting a PS4 (later because buying consoles at launch usually turn out bad). But for exclusives (only Killer Instinct at the moment), tournaments are most likely to at least try to have a Xbone on hand to run the game at least in the beginning. So in that case, why do they just not cut the cost of the game with each other and do the rotation. If you had 3 majors agreeing to rotate their Killer Instinct copy (you can still buy the whole game I believe), you pay the price of 1 set but can use it for 3 different events. Plus with the rise of f2p, where people have to buy characters piece by piece if they do pursue that model, then why not have all characters unlocked on some accounts that can be passed around for the tournament. Better yet, if there are sponsors they could supply accounts with the required game(s) they wanted, so they wouldn't need to go through f2p unlocks or pay walls. Even if there is no sponsors TOs can try to mitigate cost among each other for the Xbones they do get on hand. I don't doubt the PS4 will be the tournament standard, but if there is a Xbone on hand, it could possibly be put to use in some circumstances because I wouldn't be surprised if some people in the FGC are gonna pick up a Xbone for KI.

You're asking for fiscal sense in a current format where even TOs can't be asked to buy 2 downloadable characters for each station. Xbone exclusive games, if they're lucky, will be relegated to side-tournaments.

Dahbomb

You're asking for fiscal sense in a current format where even TOs can't be asked to buy 2 downloadable characters for each station. Xbone exclusive games, if they're lucky, will be relegated to side-tournaments.
Barring obscene money hats or change in DRM policy/exceptions made.

God...

"RPG" is not a genre.

The problem just disappeared.
What are all the games that are called that, then? :p

I think it's a hybrid. Like a lot of your actions and skills you have to select them from the mini menu at the bottom right hand side of the screen but regular movement is just standard realtime action game stuff.
Don't you dodge my gif question!

Regular movement doesn't mean it can't be an RPG. Turn-based is not a requisite. Xenoblade is definitely an RPG, for example.

FF15 just looked like a faster paced kingdom hearts to me.
Ditto.

Riposte

What are all the games that are called that, then? :p

FPS, TPS, 3D action, turn-based tactics, etc. You could even say "JRPG" to mean a specific type of game: Dragon Quest-likes (or how I would describe them: tactic games with no or highly abstract mobility and positioning (maps) mechanics, e.g. the "football rows" or the relational rules over spacial ones a la The Last Remnant). That's the easiest part, frankly.

Anyway, don't want to make this thread not about fighting games, but sometimes the solution is the easiest one and no one bothers to go for it.

Beckx

FF15 just looked like a faster paced kingdom hearts to me.

Which is fine if the result is a game that's both fun & delivers the feel of actually playing what would have been just a cinematic in a prior game. (That was MGR's biggest achievement, feeling like you were controlling the kind of action that occurred in MGS4's cutscenes.)

FPS, TPS, 3D action, turn-based tactics, etc. You could even say "JRPG" to mean a specific type of game: Dragon Quest-likes (or how I would describe them: tactic games with no or highly abstract mobility and positioning (maps) mechanics, e.g. the "football rows" or the relational rules over spacial ones a la The Last Remnant). That's the easiest part, frankly.

Anyway, don't want to make this thread not about fighting games, but sometimes the solution is the easiest one and no one bothers to go for it.
But what do you do when a western developer makes a "JRPG"? :p I'm not a fan of misnomers.

And I'd like to know what the following games are under your system:
Knights in the Nightmare
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Xenoblade
Demon's Souls
Alundra

MrDaravon

Oh god damn it, I leave for a while and we're debating RPG classifications? fuuuuuuuuuck

So what's been the general feeling on Killer Instinct? I have no real love for the original, but have been pretty busy/sick this week combined with E3 so I've only being hitting some of the top threads and Twitter so not sure what people are thinking, I haven't even really seen much footage of it. I am kind of genuinely freaked out by how much Max and the TS guys have been hyping it up given that every other person I follow on Twitter is indifferent at best.

Oh god damn it, I leave for a while and we're debating RPG classifications? fuuuuuuuuuck

So what's been the general feeling on Killer Instinct? I have no real love for the original, but have been pretty busy/sick this week combined with E3 so I've only being hitting some of the top threads and Twitter so not sure what people are thinking, I haven't even really seen much footage of it. I am kind of genuinely freaked out by how much Max and the TS guys have been hyping it up given that every other person I follow on Twitter is indifferent at best.
It looks like a proper sequel so far. Which means that if you recognized the early games as shit, you know this one is, too. If you thought the early games were awesome, get hype!

It's still a JRPG, as in Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden.
Nonsense! What if, 10 years down the road, Japanese developers make "WRPGs" and the only "JRPGs" are made by small western indie developers? The name would be excessively absurd.

Dahbomb

People who played it liked it. Most remain skeptical due to obvious balance issues and DRM problems with the Xbox One. Seems like a significant improvement over the previous KIs.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If people can like DoA it's not shocking people can like KI. Though both games have similar issues. The further time moves forward the more they will become apparent to people.

You can quote me on this later.

The best thing about KI is the announcer.
The announcer and the music :D

Hell people to this day still say c-c-c-c-combo breaker!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
KI didn't look that impressive to me, but we haven't seen much so who knows how it'll end up turning out. The biggest thing it has against it is that it's an Xbone game imo.

Top Bottom