• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 15-21 | 16 is barely okay

LordJim

Nah, this kickstarter goal is maybe 10% of what the publisher is putting in.

It's still worrisome to me that they want to ease development costs or gauge interest through hyping up a kickstarter.
'Here is a beloved IP, here is scarce as fuck info, believe the hype'.

It takes all my willpower to not just give them 100 right now, simply because I do not like this practice.

nded

1496647_10153488297332147_1412364472530140957_n.jpg

Cammy got them tactical straps like Cannon Spike on Dreamcast.

Claw's redesign revealed.

Kimosabae

Banned
Funding Shenmue 3 would be the largest waste of corporate money of all time. No one wants it outside a very vocal minority. Best let the people with bad taste in video games fund it rather than anyone else.

I'm glad it's finally getting made so I can backstroke in the flood of tears from fans disappointed with how terrible it will be.

Whores and self-proclaimed "fans" will look up and shout: "I just wanted a conclusion to the story!" and I'll whisper "Dumbass."

Onemic

Yo Cammy....
8KFOvbv.png

The age of booty is finally among us. Ono listened to my pleas of no pancake butts and I have been heard.

E3 for Sony was explosive. My only gripes were TLG, it finally got released but after so long, I only think the hardcore will buy it. Second is that kickstarter for Shenmue III, the struggle is real.

Doubt it. Casuals havent even heard of TLG. SoTC sold the amount it did mainly off word of mouth, since next to no one played Ico.

The Shenmue kickstarter is odd, Maybe they want complete freedom in making the game? Also the other Shenmues didnt sell a lot. Dont matter though because Im funding the fuck outta that shit.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Funding Shenmue 3 would be the largest waste of corporate money of all time. No one wants it outside a very vocal minority. Best let the people with bad taste in video games fund it rather than anyone else.

I'm glad it's finally getting made so I can backstroke in the flood of tears from fans disappointed with how terrible it will be.

Damn dude, your hate is strong tonight. Did someone take a dump on your lawn?

ShinMaruku

Yo Cammy....
8KFOvbv.png

The age of booty is finally among us. Ono listened to my pleas of no pancake butts and I have been heard.

E3 for Sony was explosive. My only gripes were TLG, it finally got released but after so long, I only think the hardcore will buy it. Second is that kickstarter for Shenmue III, the struggle is real.

Breh Cammy got an ass?

fader

damn dude. you are just on a roll tonight.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Everyone is in their feelings today. It's okay, we don't get these moments often. Talk that shit y'all.

Dahbomb

Damn son!

DAMN!

I don't like Shenmue much either but it's good that people who want it are getting it.

Might as well talk about it... what do you feel about FF7 Remake? That vaporware too?

Final Fantasy 7 remake gonna take as long as Final Fantasy Versus XIII XV to come out. So might as well look to Street Fighter 5 instead. You only have to wait until next Spring for that.

Whores and self-proclaimed "fans" will look up and shout: "I just wanted a conclusion to the story!" and I'll whisper "Dumbass."

Did Yu Suzuki shoot your dog?

Dai101

Banned

YOU.

I like you. Let's hit the bar.

Kimosabae

Banned
I really, really, REALLY hate the Shenmue series. It essentially kickstarted most of what I hate about modern gaming.

I have way more confidence in FFVII releasing than TLG. We all knew it was coming it was just a matter of when. For whatever reason, SE just deems it time.

Fraeon

I realized I absolutely despise early press video of fighting games. Instead of getting a good idea of how the systems could work in actual matches, we have videos of people doing jump roundhouse, whiffing jabs on the ground and nothing else.

It's like someone showing off an FPS and the camera is showing the floor during the whole video because the person playing the game has no concept of aiming.

Dahbomb

I really, really, REALLY hate the Shenmue series. It essentially kickstarted most of what I hate about modern gaming.

I have way more confidence in FFVII releasing than TLG. We all knew it was coming it was just a matter of when. For whatever reason, SE just deems it time.
Pretty sure MGS1 and FFVII did that way before Shenmue. Shenmue only really added QTEs.

Shenmue's influence on modern gaming is over exaggerated. The game series didn't make that big of an impact to gaming.

Yu Suzuki was responsible for starting the best fighting game franchise ever made as well as creating other classic arcade games I adore.

I'm not a Shenmue diehard, but I still have enough respect for what he's done that I'll throw money his way for Shenmue III. I say give those fans the time of day.

Perro

How you guys make to play and care about so many game???
Im the kind of guy who plays the same game for years. In the ps1 era I only played tekken 3 and CTR, didn't even try other stuff. Same with PC, I played cs1.6 for 8 years and some fighting games on snes simulator. Now with my new PC i'm only playing TF2, FGs on Steam and Fightcade.
I wish a had money to try new stuff, but at the same time I don't see myself "wasting money" on games that I can finish on a weekend.

Kimosabae

Banned
Pretty sure MGS1 and FFVII did that way before Shenmue. Shenmue only really added QTEs.

No, it's not the cinematics I have a problem with: it's the QTE's and overly ambitious "open-worldness" forcing inevitable watered-down, core gameplay mechanics and design. In Shenmue's case, much of it was just mundane and stupid.

But, you know, the story.

vocab

Im the kind of guy who plays the same game for years. In the ps1 era I only played tekken 3 and CTR, didn't even try other stuff. Same with PC, I played cs1.6 for 8 years and some fighting games on snes simulator. Now with my new PC i'm only playing TF2, FGs on Steam and Fightcade.
I wish a had money to try new stuff, but at the same time I don't see myself "wasting money" on games that I can finish on a weekend.

I used to be like that, but most of the games I loved and would play forever just died or I lost interest. PC games are cheap so I don't really care about cost. I still play csgo, and dota 2, but There's a lot of things I hate about those games (dota 2 being choreful, csgo not as polished as 1.6). Plus a good crpg will get my money any day.

Dahbomb

Having a job helps for one.

I generally have 2-3 games on rotation. One game that is the "I can beat this in a week", one game that I am playing that I have been playing on and off for a month (like a multiplayer game or a MMO) and the game that is more long term (like DOTA 2). The long term games are rarely switched by the weekly game switches. Once I beat them I return them and get a new one. The GCU at Best Buy is great for this.

Past couple of weeks I have been playing Witcher 3, next couple of weeks is going to be Arkham Knight and DMC4SE. In the middle I am playing Hearthstone, Diablo 3 and the occasional DOTA 2/USF4.

And this is still far less than I used to play back in my high school/college years when I had a ton of free time and friends to borrow games from. These days I easily have the money to buy most of the games I am interested (especially on Steam), the issue is more time. I am the kind of guy who if I really enjoy a game I want to complete a game 100%. I 100% completed Bloodborne and am about to complete Witcher 3 100%, both of which take 50-100 hours each to do so.

Having a job helps. I just like experiencing as many games as I can. Its my only hobby besides sports and anime and its something I'd like to have a career in.

Dahbomb

No, it's not the cinematics I have a problem with: it's the QTE's and overly ambitious "open-worldness" forcing inevitable watered-down, core gameplay mechanics and design. In Shenmue's case, much of it was just mundane and stupid.

But, you know, the story.
Nope you got that all wrong.

Open world didn't become a thing until after GTA3. After Shenmue released no one gave a shit about open world and continued to make the standard linear type games. When GTA 3 was a break out success, that's when the open world games started to emerge. That's also when people started to figure out that you could sell games without having solid core game play mechanics and design (as you mentioned).

You are wrong on QTEs as well. Shenmue might have been the first to do it (well the first known game to do it) but QTEs never took off until RE4/GoW were released. After those games is when QTEs became really rampant in games. If Shenmue had such a huge influence to gaming then we would've seen QTEs long before those two games.

This is basically like shitting on Kill Switch for introducing cover based mechanics in shooters. Your hatred is misplaced. I am telling you as a person who doesn't really like Shenmue to begin with.

Onemic

I dont mind SFV simplifying inputs that were already pretty easy. Doing a 360 in SF4 is easy as hell considering you dont have to get the whole motion. Simplifying in to a HCB motion changes nothing, but make it more accessible.

There'd be a problem if 720's were simplified but did the same damage.

Nope you got that all wrong.

Open world didn't become a thing until after GTA3. After Shenmue released no one gave a shit about open world and continued to make the standard linear type games. When GTA 3 was a break out success, that's when the open world games started to emerge. That's also when people started to figure out that you could sell games without having solid core game play mechanics and design (as you mentioned).

You are wrong on QTEs as well. Shenmue might have been the first to do it (well the first known game to do it) but QTEs never took off until RE4/GoW were released. After those games is when QTEs became really rampant in games. If Shenmue had such a huge influence to gaming then we would've seen QTEs long before those two games.

This is basically like shitting on Kill Switch for introducing cover based mechanics in shooters. Your hatred is misplaced. I am telling you as a person who doesn't really like Shenmue to begin with.

I totally forgot that Kill Switch was the first game to have cover mechanics. I also remember that game being absolutely terrible.

Perro

I still have to wait a couple of years to get a decent job with a decent salary, meanwhile I'll wait for steam sales like the loser I am ;_;

Top Bottom